+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Heresy??

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Rome: Vae Victis

Heresy??

Okay, so I'm moving through Paradoxian's LP, and the Duke of Saxony has just become a Cathar. He reeeally wants to be a Catholic again, but it seems as though he has to lower his piety by over 100 points to do that. Is there a specific way to lower your own piety to become a Catholic again? Or...does he just have to die a Cathar?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Many events have options to lower your piety. Losing holy wars also seems to drop your piety like a stone.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Straigthtsilver View Post
    Many events have options to lower your piety. Losing holy wars also seems to drop your piety like a stone.
    Don't you also lose a huge amount of prestige though?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by kevml27 View Post
    Don't you also lose a huge amount of prestige though?
    Converting itself probably takes a huge chunk out of your prestige anyways, so you'll have little left either way.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

shouldnt you need to raise piety to be reconciled? lowering the 'how the church sees you' value to get it to accept you back seems weird
    Nationality: New Zealander
    Religion: Roman Catholic
    Ideology: Distributist
    Issues: Moralism/Full Citizenship
    How did some slip of a girlyboy from communist East Berlin become the internationally ignored song stylist barely standing before you?

Don't Press the O
    It's always been Wankershim

Depends how piety is defined I think, Orinsul. I haven't watched the LP, but you'd think that he went to zero upon converting to Catharism, and everything he's built up since then is "Cathar piety" rather than "Catholic piety." So it makes sense he has to stop believing in Catharism some in order to return to the Catholic fold. If it didn't drop to zero (or almost zero) when he converted, then I agree with you, it might need some tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bballman23 View Post
    Depends how piety is defined I think, Orinsul. I haven't watched the LP, but you'd think that he went to zero upon converting to Catharism, and everything he's built up since then is "Cathar piety" rather than "Catholic piety." So it makes sense he has to stop believing in Catharism some in order to return to the Catholic fold. If it didn't drop to zero (or almost zero) when he converted, then I agree with you, it might need some tweaking.
    It did not. It was stable around(ish) 150 I believe. Then he went to see if he could re-convert, and he needed piety LESS than 50.

If I recall correctly from the videos, piety is just devotion to your religion, whatever that religion is. It's not a stat unique to mainline Catholicism or Orthodox religions. So his character was pious in general, it's just he changed religion by (totally random from what I recall) event. The lower piety requirement was for a specific action to realign his religion with that of his liege, the HRE. But you can't be all that pious if you're just up and switching religion by fiat. It's quirky, but it makes a certain sort of logic.

+ Reply to Thread