• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's the tech you need for monopolies again? I would rush towards that one next!

Great update!

You seem to have had lots of luck with missions this session, be grateful for it. Mine consisted of "Invade India that is guaranteed by OE" --> "Protect against 120k armysize France" ---> "Invade India" :-/
Anyway, some question I had while looking through the Wiki: Do the Hansa specific decisions (Adler von Lübeck and Kontor Krane (or what it is called, dont have the game files handy right now) last forever? In that case:
The english for one gladly accept their hansaetic overlords BEFORE they invade the isles with masses of cheaply produced carracks :D
E: I think Monopolies are Trade 15.
E2: I also seem to remember that the world war was some unprovoked war of milanese aggression against austria over treviso which austria did not even own, since OE was supposed to jump into the war. Somewhen it ended up with Castille and France and OE jumping into the war and people started complaining about stuff, it was quite hard to follow actually.

What's the tech you need for monopolies again? I would rush towards that one next!

Great update!

It's 15 which is 4 techs far, that would indeed be nice since over half of the players don't know yet about America and so i'll have few competitors in a possible COT = full monopoly.

You seem to have had lots of luck with missions this session, be grateful for it. Mine consisted of "Invade India that is guaranteed by OE" --> "Protect against 120k armysize France" ---> "Invade India" :-/
Anyway, some question I had while looking through the Wiki: Do the Hansa specific decisions (Adler von Lübeck and Kontor Krane (or what it is called, dont have the game files handy right now) last forever? In that case:
The english for one gladly accept their hansaetic overlords BEFORE they invade the isles with masses of cheaply produced carracks :D
E: I think Monopolies are Trade 15.
E2: I also seem to remember that the world war was some unprovoked war of milanese aggression against austria over treviso which austria did not even own, since OE was supposed to jump into the war. Somewhen it ended up with Castille and France and OE jumping into the war and people started complaining about stuff, it was quite hard to follow actually.

Nah i don't really know the conditions of the Adler von Lübeck but it doesn't last forever and doesn't give you infinite Carracks (or big ships in general)

Anyway thanks for the support guys, i just noticed i forgot about some pics, right now i haven't got time to fix though, i will review the update tomorrow.

This is pretty awesome. I love mutiplayer aars and i love your limited goals.

personaly I think you have been way to quick with the colonial conquesting, early on its often more effective to get a small land bridge from the natives and then just vassal them, you'l get more tax income that way, your tech will roll faster since you are small, and then when the time is the right, you can just pick up the land you have already put dibbs on

ofcorse in a game where players are not very agressive it can have its rewards to go in fast and get the cores on all of it early, and it seams like they are gifting you a big economical addvantage by leting your CoT grow so much, so maybe the side effects wont be as large as they otherwise could have been in terms of tech lagging

Interested to see how this plays out. Ive played one hansa game and i own all of scandinavia and west africa, surprisingly wealthy due to natural resources. so im excited to see what u end up owning

personaly I think you have been way to quick with the colonial conquesting, early on its often more effective to get a small land bridge from the natives and then just vassal them, you'l get more tax income that way, your tech will roll faster since you are small, and then when the time is the right, you can just pick up the land you have already put dibbs on

ofcorse in a game where players are not very agressive it can have its rewards to go in fast and get the cores on all of it early, and it seams like they are gifting you a big economical addvantage by leting your CoT grow so much, so maybe the side effects wont be as large as they otherwise could have been in terms of tech lagging

It's definitely an investment in long term, this way i'll get cores early on, which means no nationalism and more census tax.

Interested to see how this plays out. Ive played one hansa game and i own all of scandinavia and west africa, surprisingly wealthy due to natural resources. so im excited to see what u end up owning

You expanded into dirt poor lands :p North America on the other hand is quite poor in trade goods too, but it's not so bad anyway.

Session 4, or why moving to America so early is wrong

So here we are, this session was surely full of events for me.

The first thing i do at the start is the release of Münster and Cleves, unfortunately i remembered that to move the capital i need to leave the HRE, which in turn liberates all non core territory. Actually this wasn't such a bad move because my infamy went down to around 2 in a moment which allowed me to trade, especially after my next two missions: Vassalize Lüneburg and Bremen (which would later become the pope).

2012011400005b.jpg

Regarding the next NI i lied (
24ox5ow.jpg
), at first i took Land of Opportunity as promised, but then i realized i'd need all the inflation reduction could get, so i changed it some time after; also you can see in the next picture that i'm at full Free Trade finally.

2012011400006s.jpg

After the vassalization there wasn't much to do, just to accumulate money for my moval to the New World, but first i had to wait for Pensacola to core, meanwhile you can watch the situation in Europe. Things to notice: BBB, PolandBlob, a relatively small Austria, OE in Italy and Russia.

2012011400007.jpg

While i was waiting for Pensacola to become a core, a pleasant news arrived! The Canarias became a core and i had just enough colonial range to reach Puerto Rico, of course i proceded to colonize it ASAP; also i had a narrowminded event in the form of "Saint performs miracle". This session i had a total of 3 events that could give me narrowmindness and this was the first, the second was either heresy in a province or narrowminded and and i chose heresy, the third was the "Clergy condemns philosopher" and i had no choice other than innovative. I don't want to be at more than +1 narrowminded.
I also got two events that gave me a free carrack and explorer, and in the end i was so bored that i started exploring the East Indies.

2012011400008f.jpg

2012011400011.jpg

Finally though, in 1477 Pensacola became a core and i was able to move my capital there since i got 1000 ducats, not so fast though! I was foolish enough to forget that creating a COT takes money, so when i created the COT in Pensacola i was stupid enough to underestimate evil loans and so i took one to move the capital.
It was a disaster.

2012011400013.jpg

I had no census tax since there were few cores (btw i thought that colonies give census tax too?) and i had extremely low stability. So with a whooping end year income of around 20-30 i had a loan that took 5.8 interests and i had colonies to maintain. And i had high RR because of low stab.
Extreme measures were taken: Both land and navy maintenance was shrinked to around 20% (did i say i had half the naval force limits?), but this turned out to be extremely bad to contain rebellions so i had to raise the land slider to around 50%. Minting was raised to 0.23 which was 0.3 err... notches higher than my limit.

2012011400017.jpg

Although the situation was dire, my income raised by about 300 ducats, probably because of the higher production units in my provinces.

2012011400016.jpg

Somehow managing to pull it out at the end of the year i waited, and i was lucky! Although i didn't take a picture of it i had a gift to the state event, which was like a rescue helicopter from a sea of shit.
The only thing is that i thought "don't really need that money so much, i guess i'll go building some constables to raise census tax" and only later i realized what did i do...

Luckily though there were few places to build constables so i didn't do much damage to my treasury before i realized that i still had a loan, with some heavy minting and no expenses i succeeded in having the money to repay the loan... barely.

2012011400021.jpg

Meanwhile, in Europe a war between Poland, Milan vs Ottomans was raging. Milan wanted to take its core Treviso as well as Venice, but the war was a stalemate for a long time until finally the Ottomans agreed to that peace.

2012011400020.jpg

Back to home, i was kissed by fortune again! Cessation of church functions which gave me a ton of money to recover. Also, with new cores and full stability my census tax was fairly good again, so i'd say that the recovery was complete.

2012011400026.jpg

2012011400027.jpg

Now let's fast forward to 1495, in these years i was just colonizing the Caribbean and trading, but in 1495, the Polish bastards attacked Magdeburg, an ally and future target of mine and i of course jumped in the war. Unfortunately though these evil Polish gave to those Austrian fools a worthless Hungarian province so they didn't intervene. I had to peace out in a humiliating defeat by letting magdeburg go and paying 400 ducats. No worries, the United States don't forget things so easily!

For the end, a few stats and maps:

2012011700001x.jpg

2012011700002.jpg

2012011700005.jpg

2012011700006.jpg

How's your tech/inflation now? You're making a huge amount of income for such a low number of provinces! Switzerland is doing pretty well on that front, as well (and their army is as big as Castille's!)

Great stuff, I recently started a hansa game myself and have to say its been one of the most interesting and fun games I've played in eu3.
Keep it up.

Sorry guys, i couldn't access the forum for more or less three days and so i couldn't have answered earlier.

How's your tech/inflation now? You're making a huge amount of income for such a low number of provinces! Switzerland is doing pretty well on that front, as well (and their army is as big as Castille's!)

You can see the inflation on the ledger, and my tech is somewhere along the yellow, didn't make a map of it.
Anyway that's all about priorities, Castille doesn't really need a big army, especially so early on. Switzerland on the other hand is an entirely land nation, so its military must be always efficient and big.

Nice update! :)
Why have you not connected the two parts of your nation yet, I wonder?

My priorities are pretty straight:
-Caribbeans
-East coast
-Inner regions

Of course i could make an exception to connect my land but that's the overall program.

Great stuff, I recently started a hansa game myself and have to say its been one of the most interesting and fun games I've played in eu3.
Keep it up.

Hansa really isn't much different from Holland or Denmark, but it has a huge potential for being a 3PM at the start

A thing I'd like to know is why you made your capital into the cot, the way I understand it everybody who klicks on one of your provinces in europe will automatically discover it and can send merchants there (IIRC France had 5 merchants there and only discovered that one province in North America). Wouldn't it have been wiser to establish the cot in the adjacent province? That way only England and Castille could actively trade there.
Anyway, how long do you plan to keep the almighty trade league? And how good does the trade league work when owning more than one cot? I never really played merchant republics and am quite curious about them after seeing your success with them.

E: Also castille is in a strong alliance with austria, so they probably dont need any troops for European wars, since Austria's Army should be strong enough to "bully" people into not attacking Castille.

A thing I'd like to know is why you made your capital into the cot, the way I understand it everybody who klicks on one of your provinces in europe will automatically discover it and can send merchants there (IIRC France had 5 merchants there and only discovered that one province in North America). Wouldn't it have been wiser to establish the cot in the adjacent province? That way only England and Castille could actively trade there.
Anyway, how long do you plan to keep the almighty trade league? And how good does the trade league work when owning more than one cot? I never really played merchant republics and am quite curious about them after seeing your success with them.

E: Also castille is in a strong alliance with austria, so they probably dont need any troops for European wars, since Austria's Army should be strong enough to "bully" people into not attacking Castille.

Yeah, forgot about that one. I was indeed wondering "why did everybody suddenly discover Pensacola?" Anyways, i couldn't have done in another way since the league shuts down when there's no COT in the capital and i'm not yet ready for that.

yeah , but it is worth it!
you're lucky that the othr players sisn't decide to fuck up our missions , like Poland joining Novgorod league ...