• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lama43

Lt. General
11 Badges
Jun 27, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • 500k Club
Hi guys, you probably remember me for my previous failed AAR "A new Roman Empire: An MP Byzantium AAR".
That AAR failed because the campaign failed, not unexplainable but of course i feel a bit... resented, so i said i would open a new AAR with the same objective, and here i am, i opened a new campaign and this time i'll be Hansa, soon to be the United States of the Greater Hanseatic League, shortly USGH (feel free to suggest cooler names :p).

As you may have guessed i'm going to move my capital to the New World, precisely in Washington D.C (should be Conoy in game), though it will be the most important city of the country unlike in real life.

But the first update will be tomorrow, as today i'm a bit tired to make an AAR. I can tell you that the first session wasn't anything particular for Hansa, but i got trade tech 7 in 1420 so that should count for something.

I liked your first one, so there was no question I'm going to follow this one too.

Hm... A Merchant Republic USA? Interesting...

You should name America after your first explorer's last name, like Amerigo -> America, or Columbus -> Columbia.

First session 1399-1422

The first thing i did was moving my free trade slider to the right. I don't want to be a merchant republic forever for a few reasons:

-It gets antiquate over time
-The league is unreliable, if everybody decide that Hansa is evil they'll most likely quit the league

I will however keep it for some time, even while being full free trade, because i noticed that even normally i can keep a monopoly in my cots so it will be even easier as part of a league where i can exclude my competitors.

After the slider move, there was the race for the league, i played Hansa a bit and i know that there are a few nations like Bohemia, Lithuania or Poland that must be grabbed as quickly as possible, i was successful with Bohemia, but not with Lithuania which was grabbed by the sneaky Novgorodians, and Poland for some reasons refused to join (although most of his provinces trade through me anyway)

2011121000008.jpg

The extent of the league in 1404, notice the Ottoman Empire mostly trading through me

The next thing was my mission, the famous "Free shipping through the Sound", that either requires me to own the strait or to have 190 relations with whoever has the modifier (in this case Denmark).

2011121000003.jpg

Look at the chat, i'm having a discussion with the player, there isn't a lot of formality in it though :D

2011121000004.jpg

At first i sent a pm to the Denmark player regarding Holstein, but at that time i didn't remember about the mission, so i sent a sort of threat, i wanted to buy the province, but he refused.

2011121000007.jpg

This time though, he sent a threat to me to not build more than 7.000 troops. Altough i'm quite strong for having 3 provinces i still felt unconfident for his PUs, Sweden and Norway who had a fairly big fleet and army.

Luckily the crisis passed and we agreed on a sort of NAP, Non Agression Pact, and i fulfilled my mission.

2011121000012w.jpg

The next mission was "Create a proper fleet", i canceled it and got a mission to secure 5 trade rights for some minor economy bonuses. Apparently though the game liked me, because i finished it while i was sitting to get a diplomat.:huh:

2011121000013.jpg

FFFUUUUUUUUUUU

2011121000014.jpg

Situation of Europe, poor Brandenburg...

Meanwhile i was trying to make Lübeck rich, i was rushing for trade tech 7, from the very start of the game, as there's no point in going for government (i'll get it anyway by the time i reach TT 7). One of the keys to success in rushing is hiring a collector, usually called "trade tech guy". I was comissioning a lot of paintings for the cultural tradition and in the end i got satisfied, 6 stars!

2011121000015.jpg

A small World War happened, because Austria wanted to take his three provinces of the infamous Our claims in Northern Italy (infamous because Austria keeps getting it everytime)
France went helping Milan and so Austria called his allies (don't remember who they were, these pesky warmongers don't deserve the attention of the superior Hanseatic League)

2011121000019.jpg

Good news for the league, Lithuania got out of the Novgorodian league! I didn't waste time and proposed them my league, they accepted :D
You can see Lübeck's apogee in value, however it didn't last long :(

2011121000021.jpg

As Lübeck's value, my income too got to the highest too...

2011121000022.jpg

...Only to get drastically lowered by the Ottomans who opened a COT in Thrace. This is why i don't like trade leagues.

Burgundy grew really large because of the French failure in in containing it... And Holland had to pay the price! I helped him with the war (didn't take screenies, i was kinda busy), my glorious 15.000 men marched and killed a Burgundian army of similar size, however France peaced out while we still had to siege, and Burgundy focused their attention on us, bringing 22.000 men. My army was about to be destroyed but luckily Holland peaced out and even got Gelre.
Bro tip: Let the AI assault the forts by going out of their sight, then strike when their morale is low, it's how i destroyed the Burgundian army. This tactic usually doesn't work with humans though.

2011121000024.jpg

2011121000026.jpg

Sign 10 April 1421 as an important date, because it's when i got TRADE TECH 7! (Yeah i lied first, it wasn't intentional though!)

For now that's it, i'll make a small update later in the week for my plans and the situation of the countries in Europe. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
I liked your first one, so there was no question I'm going to follow this one too.

Thanks, i liked your Descent into Madness too, although i still have to find the time and read it thoroughly :D

Hm... A Merchant Republic USA? Interesting...

You should name America after your first explorer's last name, like Amerigo -> America, or Columbus -> Columbia.

If my current explorer actually discovers America i'll have to call it Jeremia...

To the others, thanks for the encouragement!

Portugal will beat you both out I bet. :)
Portugal actually mismanaged its ecconomy a bit(look at the stats in our multiplayer thread), they will probably be the 4th after holland and castille to reach trade 7. I will be the last of the colonizers but I think I have a stronger ecconomy than Portugal and Castille... Anyway, I don't want canada, it's so cold up there, I want Florida! :D

Portugal actually mismanaged its ecconomy a bit(look at the stats in our multiplayer thread), they will probably be the 4th after holland and castille to reach trade 7. I will be the last of the colonizers but I think I have a stronger ecconomy than Portugal and Castille... Anyway, I don't want canada, it's so cold up there, I want Florida! :D

Yeah i have a surprisingly low income but i'm the first that will start colonizing, those precious years the others will take to reach trade tech 7 will be enough for me, and the closest competitor is Holland that is really small to colonize effectively.

Good stuff! How many humans are there in this game, and which countries are they playing, if you don't mind sharing?

Good stuff! How many humans are there in this game, and which countries are they playing, if you don't mind sharing?

theebum: Milan
stnikolaustwagne: England
KneeHi: Austria
TKoV.SoaRinG: Castille
phantomdentist: Ottomans
lamertu: Poland
Sadiregu: France
tigerkid: Portugal
AleyxF: Holland
GreatM: Novgorod
Lama43: Hansa
Krijger9: Denmark
Luminary: Brandenburg
Iwanow: Vijayanagar
The-King: Manchu
Paraipan: Switzerland

This is the roster of those who played last session :)

BTW the tag for Hansa is HSA, Milan and Denmark are MLO (WHY?) and DAN (this is from the Danish i think)