• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks, I was hoping that were the case.

So, I made the errors? of sphering Panjab and China, both of whom I now have an alliance with. I have annexed Johore. Should I go for Siam or Tibet next?

If my relations with, say, France are good enough, does that mean they won't declare a WoC against me?

The problem is you can't get rid of sphereling yourself (not taking a revolution in account), the AI has to take them from you. There's no problem with China because sooner or later everyone wants them (Russia is usually the top contender because of their land boarder).
As for the next target - get Tibet for a land border with china for 8 points of infamy. Siam wouldn't do any good because they have some splitted states and can't get annexed in one go.

Relations only matter a small bit in WoC all that matters is: If the AI thinks it can win this war they declare war, but be careful if you fight a WoC against one nation, other nations declare separate WoC.

The problem is you can't get rid of sphereling yourself (not taking a revolution in account), the AI has to take them from you. There's no problem with China because sooner or later everyone wants them (Russia is usually the top contender because of their land boarder).
As for the next target - get Tibet for a land border with china for 8 points of infamy. Siam wouldn't do any good because they have some splitted states and can't get annexed in one go.

Relations only matter a small bit in WoC all that matters is: If the AI thinks it can win this war they declare war, but be careful if you fight a WoC against one nation, other nations declare separate WoC.

Since China is my ally, hopefully it'll help me attack Tibet.

The reason I want Siam is to have a land connection between India and Singapore. But I guess I'll save that for later.

I keep getting events that raise the militancy in random provinces by 8. Are those normal, or was this Paradox's way of reducing Britain's power in the new patches?

If you don't want the MIL, don't take the cash. They only get really militant if you pocket the money when you close down the farmer's banks.

You will get lots of those events because you have lots of provinces with non-Brits in them. They fire on a province basis, so the more provinces you have, the more often you see them (and every other province event too).

If you don't want the MIL, don't take the cash. They only get really militant if you pocket the money when you close down the farmer's banks.

You will get lots of those events because you have lots of provinces with non-Brits in them. They fire on a province basis, so the more provinces you have, the more often you see them (and every other province event too).

There's no choice. The event says something like "The people of PROVINCE are rising up in the name of liberty..." My only choice is to click a button that says "Blast," which increases the militancy of that province by 8. This event is firing every few days.

There's no choice. The event says something like "The people of PROVINCE are rising up in the name of liberty..." My only choice is to click a button that says "Blast," which increases the militancy of that province by 8. This event is firing every few days.

That's a liberal revolutions event. It will last till the liberal revolution is over. About once per 30 years per province.

Well, Russia has decided to ban my embassy in China, and the AI seems to repeat this process every year from my Belgian game, so it may be impossible to do that now...

The influence game can be fun, but also very frustrating. I found that in most of my games, countries like Austria or UK, that have a lot of people in their SoI to begin with, are the easiest ones to beat. Russia, or France, in the other hand, will always go for specific nations: Russia will put China and Sweden in its SoI very soon. My rules regarding this is 1) if it's a smaller/uncivilized, I always go for war to put them in my SoI; the infamy hit is not that big and 2) if the nation in question have a very large territory (Russia, USA, UK or in late game when everyone has colonies in Africa) I avoid war at any cost; with UK, specially early in the game, you will always win - but conquering all those big stretches of land to get the war score in your favor will take years.

Fight them only at the seas. You can't really win against France or Russia, if they mobilize (+ it's not really worth it). Just occupy smaller colonies (stay away from the mainland and Algiers/Tunis) and blockade the hell out of them.
After a their WE is high enough they sue for peace, then just keep it going after it's so high they can never recover ... but that's a bit gamey ;)

To add insult to injury while fighting the French, while you can't steal any of their states in a peace deal simply by colonial warfare (as in, taking everything bar the French homeland) you can snag Algiers by a combination of blockade and colonial occupations. Unfortunately France doesn't get a huge amount from its colonial empire (most of Frances start-game colonies and likely targets for expansion are, frankly, poor) so you can't do that much damage by stealing their colonies. Long-term blockade, on the other hand...

The French aren't unbeatable on the mainland, but its very hard; I had to conscript Spain, Belgium, Prussia and mobilise my own populations in order to crush the ridiculous numbers of troops the French can mobilise (given that this is on top of their standing armies) at the start of the game. (My stated goal was to remove France from the game by the game end; I took about half of France before I got tired of it.)

The NGF won't be enough because they'll face France alone and will probably be crushed. Try to get Spain and/or Austria in the boat before starting a war.

Actually, I just had a war with me and the NGF against, mainly, Austria and France. Since France had stacks in every tiny colony, he initially captured some territory, including southern Algeria, Gibraltar, the Channel Islands, Guyana, and even landed a stack on Britain. However, once I got Austria(who was distracting the germans) out of the war, the NGF easily won against the French forces in its territory.

However, in preparation for another war against France and Austria, I'll try to get Spain and Portugal on our side.