• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The ruler from whom the title was usurped retains a claim on the title, though, right?

I think so. Although, in the case of Christians versus non-Christians, it's not really a big deal.

It does make for touchy border situations between the Empire and its neighbors, since lieges press the claims of vassals...

Looks sharp! "Pommerania" should be "Pomerania" (English and Latin), however. Since the less politically developed tribes are listed in plural (Pruthenians, Yatviags, Zemigallians, Curonians, etc.), "Galindia" could instead be "Galindians".
Additionally, "Mecklemburg" should be "Mecklenburg".

The ruler from whom the title was usurped retains a claim on the title, though, right?

Yes they do. PdoxLP had a funny situation in one of his games as someone usurped one of his duke tittles. Then he immidiatly usurped it back. You need 50% of the counties to usurp and he owned two of four counties duchy the other person owned the other two so they could have gone usurping the tittle from eachother for eternity but the AI didn't usurp it again for some reason.

A question Johan; what do you have against direct-linking images under a spoiler instead of attaching them to the post? Because opening the attached images seems to take forever...

Pretty much, but if you have King vassals they'll be represented the same way. Kings get more prominent icons of course. The King of Bohemia will probably be a common vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor.

Dear developers,
The latest trailer has been released a couple of days ago. At the end of the video I have noticed that the map of Hungary is a bit messy (well, quite wrong) at the moment. I know that the game is close to releasing and it would be very hard to redo/redraw a country's whole structure. Anyway, the issues with the map of our country are quite serious - but luckily, it is easy to fix them by just renaming the current regions and cities.
As a Hungarian medieval history enthusiast I happily offer my help: I made a list of the suggested changings - I would like to kindly ask you considering them. They may hardly improve the historical/geographical (and spelling) accuracy and help cutting the contradictions out. My suggestions with the current and suggested region/city names:

Current region: Pressburg (This is the German name of the same city)
Suggested: Pozsony
City: Pozsony

Current: Trencin
Suggested: Trencsén
City: Trencsén

Current: Orava
Suggested: Liptó
City: Késmárk

Current: Nitra
Suggested: Nyitra
City: Nyitra

Current: Gemer
Suggested: Gömör
City: Gömör

Current: Saris
Suggested: Sáros
City: Eperjes

Current: Bereg
Suggested: Máramaros
City: Munkács

Current: Abauj
Suggested: Bereg
City: Ungvár

Current: Maramaros
Suggested: Kolozs
City: Kolozsvár

Current: Sopron
Suggested: Sopron
City: Sopron

Current: Vas
Suggested: Somogy
City: Somogyvár (if possible, please move the city to north-east)

Current: Esztergom
Suggested: Pest
City: Buda (as the royal castle)

Current: Fejer
Suggested: Fejér
City: Fehérvár

Current: Szekesfehervar
Suggested: Baranya
City: Pécs (bishopric)

Current: Pecs
Suggested: Bács
City: Szeged

Current: Heves
Suggested: Szabolcs
City: Szatmár

Current: Pest
Suggested: Csongrád
City: Csongrád

Current: Csanad
Suggested: Békés
City: Békés

Current: Bacs
Suggested: Csanád
City: Csanád (bishopric)

Current: Temes
Suggested: Temes
City: Temesvár

Current: Belgrade
Suggested: Szerém
City: Nándorfehérvár (the Hungarian name of Belgrad)

Current: Bihar
Suggested: Bihar
City: Várad (bishopric)

Current: Szekelyfold
Suggested: Székelyföld
City: Udvarhely

Current: Feher
Suggested: Fehér
City: Gyulafehérvár

Last edited:
I think so. Although, in the case of Christians versus non-Christians, it's not really a big deal.

It does make for touchy border situations between the Empire and its neighbors, since lieges press the claims of vassals...

Representing the situation in border areas in general might be tricky. Even though de jure part of different realms, direct neighbors often just interacted with each other in the same way as in a situation with neighbors with the same de jure liege.

Dear Developers
Also like my friend Oriolus before I would like to suggest that city/castle/bisphoric of Lvov be renamed to Lviv (proper Ukrainian pronunciation) if its still possible

Dear Developers
Also like my friend Oriolus before I would like to suggest that city/castle/bisphoric of Lvov be renamed to Lviv (proper Ukrainian pronunciation) if its still possible

Are you sure? I can see you live in the city and all, but Wiki says it was founded as a city in 1256 by Daniel of Galicia and that it's essentially "Lvov/Lwow" in both Russian and Polish, so I wonder whether the modern Russian or Ukrainian common spelling was the original one? In Scandinavian there's some stuff in place-names that I presume makes more sense from a more Icelandic point of view than in the present vocabulary. :)

Are you sure? I can see you live in the city and all, but Wiki says it was founded as a city in 1256 by Daniel of Galicia and that it's essentially "Lvov/Lwow" in both Russian and Polish, so I wonder whether the modern Russian or Ukrainian common spelling was the original one? In Scandinavian there's some stuff in place-names that I presume makes more sense from a more Icelandic point of view than in the present vocabulary. :)

Well Daniel did name the town after his son and sole heir Lev. And also Daniel and his father and grandfather before him were pretty much as removed from their Scandinavian viking forefathers as Tsars of Moscovia were from their Kievan Rus forefathers. Sure Daniel and his druzhina followers had noble viking/varangian roots but their adopted language was very much old east slavic which basically had elements of both russian and ukrainian. But going back to the point, city name Lviv stems from the sons name Lev which isn't a Scandinavian name at all but actually in modern Ukrainian still means "lion". So Lviv, just is a way of saying "Lev's place" (or literally something that belongs to Lev). But yeah I must agree that in 1200s Kieven Rus probably didnt speak pure Ukrainian dialect (as much as I sometimes like to wish they did :) ) but the Ruthenian language (forerunner of modern Ukrainian) was already emerging by 1300s right around the time Lviv became Polish.

Well Daniel did name the town after his son and sole heir Lev. And also Daniel and his father and grandfather before him were pretty much as removed from their Scandinavian viking forefathers as Tsars of Moscovia were from their Kievan Rus forefathers. Sure Daniel and his druzhina followers had noble viking/varangian roots but their adopted language was very much old east slavic which basically had elements of both russian and ukrainian. But going back to the point, city name Lviv stems from the sons name Lev which isn't a Scandinavian name at all but actually in modern Ukrainian still means "lion". So Lviv, just is a way of saying "Lev's place" (or literally something that belongs to Lev). But yeah I must agree that in 1200s Kieven Rus probably didnt speak pure Ukrainian dialect (as much as I sometimes like to wish they did :) ) but the Ruthenian language (forerunner of modern Ukrainian) was already emerging by 1300s right around the time Lviv became Polish.

No-no, I didn't mean to connect them to the Rus Vikings at all, I just meant that some old ways of writing certain place-names might be more correct in languages that aren't necessarily the norm at the place themselves anymore (such as Icelandic being less influenced by German than we were and thus being closer to the original words in many cases). Something like that could've also been true for how the Ukrainian dialect of East Slavic developed in a manner unlike the Russian one, thus leading to theirs maybe retaining the older form. That was all I was wondering, but if it was "Lev" then I can see a Slav leaning both towards "Ljievh" and "Ljovh" since "L-evh" isn't towards either sound. We should pick the one that's most appropriate for the upper-class of the time, IMO, since we aren't playing commoners. :)

And I presume Ukrainian sentiments towards having their language considered a Language is stronger than over here, given bad blood with the Russians? Since we quite cheerfully often consider our Scandinavian languages merely "Dialects with an Army" as to why they're separate at all and looking over the list of differences to Russian I can't say I saw a lot that wouldn't also separate local dialects within rural Sweden itself. Is there a lot of different vocabulary?

That was all I was wondering, but if it was "Lev" then I can see a Slav leaning both towards "Ljievh" and "Ljovh" since "L-evh" isn't towards either sound. We should pick the one that's most appropriate for the upper-class of the time, IMO, since we aren't playing commoners.

Heh well in that case seeing how for most of time covered by CKII the town was under Polish control maybe it should be called Lwów (different from Russian Lvov as its pronounced as Ljievuuv with emphasis on middle U sound). In fact it would be pretty cool if place names changed depending on which culture held them depending on the language of the ruling elite like you mentioned. But that really would be beyond the kind of detail that Paradox should aim at with this game. They really have more important things to tweek like AI :) . But it would be kind of cool if say when a Christian ruler held Palestine province, the main city would be called Jerusalem by its jewish/christian name but if captured by Seljuks or another muslim faction it changes to another name relevant to those people at that time (like "al Queds" or "The Holy" I believe was the name by which Seljuks called the city at time of Crusades).

Regarding Baltic provinces.
Why "Pruthenians"? Should be just "Prussians" - more simple and more accurate in English, considering that neighboring Baltic pagan tribes have more or less (single letter here and there) correct English version names - Curonians, Zemigallians, Lettigallians.
For the same reason "Yatviags" -> "Yotvingians" and "Galindians", "Lithuanians".

Lettigallian province should be east(owned by Polotsk in the map) of their current location , in their place should be Livonians - a Finnic tribe. Lettigallians weren't coastal dwellers.

Dear developers,
The latest trailer has been released a couple of days ago. At the end of the video I have noticed that the map of Hungary is a bit messy (well, quite wrong) at the moment. I know that the game is close to releasing and it would be very hard to redo/redraw a country's whole structure. Anyway, the issues with the map of our country are quite serious - but luckily, it is easy to fix them by just renaming the current regions and cities.
As a Hungarian medieval history enthusiast I happily offer my help: I made a list of the suggested changings - I would like to kindly ask you considering them. They may hardly improve the historical/geographical (and spelling) accuracy and help cutting the contradictions out. My suggestions with the current and suggested region/city names:

You can change the province names ingame, don't worry. :)

You can change the province names ingame, don't worry. :)

Yes, we can - and they can do this as well. It is not a question of customization or modding for individual needs. Of course, no one would mind the current silly fantasy names if you call that country Gondor or Rohan. But if you call it Hungary, it is definitely better using Hungarian region and city names - at their less or more accurate geographical locations. (I am sure that the developers will agree with this.) :rolleyes:
Anyway, the game is not out yet, so hopefully it's not too late to correct the mistakes. I would appreciate the developers' opinions as well.

Kind regards,
Oriolus

Last edited:
I've already made a topic a month ago about this - the current map of Hungary is ridiculously wrong, so I've posted some useful stuff to help.
They simply locked the thread ignored all of it, and they are still using the same CK1 map ...

Its quite disappointing i guess and not characteristic for paradox games. Someone would think they actually give a ... for historical and geographical accuracy but it seems they don't - AS THE MAP HAS BEEN CONFIRMED AS FINAL!

I probably won't buy this game if it stays this way...