• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Feb 1, 2011
I was watching a interview and reading some stuff about, "The Stars Are Left" and it was stated that, if one person bought the DLC their friends could join without owning it. Well my friend always buys the DLC so I didn't save up any money for it. We tried to play it tonight and I couldn't join him. I could join the main story with him, or do challenge maps, just not TSAL. So I know it's not a firewall problem or anything like that. Did we miss something, or did they change it to each person needing the dlc?

Sorry for being a noob :blush:

As with all add-on content for Magicka, the new expansion can be played by anybody who purchases it, or anybody playing with someone who has purchased it.
Source: http://www.magickagame.com/news/2011/11/magicka-the-stars-are-left-is-summoned-into-online-stores-today

Looks like you should be able to do it.
Umm.. I haven't tried it myself though. Maybe a dev can weigh in on this to confirm if it's meant to be possible and if there is a known bug preventing this?

I assume your friend was hosting the game as a TSAL game and then invited you?

The problem shouldn't be with you not having dlc, cause I managed to play 3-player with myself hosting, one that had and one that didn't have the dlc and it went just normally. So you can count that out for sure.

As the TSAL expasion have been out now for some time. I would also think this can't be a problem with the game as such. There simply must be numerous ppl. having done this. Playing online, without having bought the DLC. This is the very first question about this I se.

Thanks for confirming the "no problem" Calathas.

It's really quite strange. I have no idea of what could be wrong here.
Have you tried a **"Verify integrity of game cache" Nintendan ?
But if you do have some altered or corrupt file, one would think that also should affect the base game ...

** In steam game list, rght click Magicka, select properties, select "local files". Press apropriat button.

@zenstar
He was hosting TSAL, but it wouldn't let him invite me, nor could I click the Join game button. When he loaded the normal campaign everything worked normally.

Thanks guys, I'll try and verify cache, didn't even think about that.