• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
can your manpower hold out long enough until you're ready to retake the initiative?
Finland falling is bad news indeed, but not unexpected.

Yes, manpower is a critical resource. Allied and Comentern air forces have complete air superiority over the battlefield, and if they continue to press their tactical bombing advantage it will completely drain Germany's manpower reserves. Fortunately, security services have been fairly effective in keeping this information from the enemy.

August '44: Fall of Finland

Untitled00.jpg

AIR WAR OVER EUROPE:

Untitled01.jpg

(above) The Allies bombardments slackened somewhat as Axis intercepts became more efficient. The Soviets went unopposed in hitting hitting targets in Eastern Prussia and Slovokia.

Untitled02.jpg

(above) German fighter intercepts become more efficient. This formation under Air Marshall Porter is headed for Dortmond. It was intercepted three times; once inbound over Osnabrook, over the target itself, and on the outbound route over the Frisian Coast. The high attack and defend modifiers helped Allied bombers survive the mission.

ITALIAN FRONT—Fall of Roma:

Untitled03.jpg

(above) Cruise missile strikes from Albania and Slovikia hit the ports of Naples and Taranto destroying supplies for the Allied armies. Missile strikes combined with naval bomber and submarine sinkings of transports were very effective in trimming Allied supply lines.

Untitled04.jpg

(above) Rome finally fell on August 24th. A new line of defense called the von Runstedt Line was established (white lines) using rivers and mountains to contain any Allied advance.

FALL OF FINLAND:

General Ringle secretly assembled two armys around a core of eight (8) divisions of mountain troops for a push on the strategic port of Murmask. To create the armys, mountain troops were strategically deployed from Italy and the Balkans to ports on the Baltic, then quickly ferried to Northern Finland (green arrows).

Untitled05.jpg

(above) While the Axis was successful in cutting-off and defeating all Soviet divisions in the north, a major Red Army offensive over-ran much of Finland including the traditional capitol (orange arrows).

After the capture of Murmansk, General Ringle began fighting a series of disparate holding actions. It was all he could do to hold onto the northern part of the Finland and preserve the fragile Finnish Government. Some reserve infantry from Norway was SR'd to the border with Sweden to shore-up Ringle's western flank.

Although the Soviets now control of 80% of Finland, this is yet another front in the war. The further Soviet forces are spread out, the less effective they become.

Next Time: Victory in France

I never used V1 or V2 rockets myself. are they worth it?

In an old Soviet AAR, I used them when I'd landed in the US - they took out a couple of airbases that were being used to base US air units (which gave me airsuperiority), a couple of ports (at least in Vanilla HOI the US lacked ports on the West Coast, which got the USN off my back) and I used them to stop a US offensive where I had no terrain to help me. So for logistical/infrastructure attacks against specific targets, they are probably too good for what were pretty poorly aimed rockets. So, I'd say unrealistically useful.

They have only one downside if you aim them at one of the air battle / bombing event provinces. Since they get destroyed during the mission, you automatically get the "battle lost" event and have to suffer its malus. I'm not sure if it will still happen if you mix a rocket wing with a regular air wing, but that seems very unrealistic to me.

Still too early to tell, but also it depends on which faction is using them.

There are material costs to consider. The Allies have all the rares, metals, and fuel necessary to build and sustain conventional bomber forces, but the Axis does not.

Time of construction weighs heavily in favor of missiles, which can be cranked out serially at one per month. Germany in the '44 scenerio simply cannot wait a year or so to produce enough bombers to go on the offensive.

Haven't crunched the build costs for V1's vs tactical bombers. Such calculations might involve missile construction costs vs. cost to repair or replace bombers. But, Germany has no strategic bombers, so there's no comparision to make there. Considering the Allies would easily defeat conventional bombers though, missiles appear the only viable alternative.

The above answers are rather vague, but the question is open-ended as well. In WW2 the V1, V2 programs were deemed a failure because they diverted resources from a jet figher program that could have changed the course of the War.

In this AAR, missiles are used somewhat sparingly at first, with production ramping-up only as they become more useful. In the next installment V-2's get a technological boost, and so expect more in the way of an outcome-based analysis in later reports.

the main problem RL was that Hitler insisted on using them against London. Nobody will ever know what would have happened if they had been launched against the 21st AG while they were stuck in the bocage.

V1s were pretty much experimental weapons. The effectiveness of V2s was decreased by Allied intelligence actions and they appeared during late-war period, so they didn't have enough of an impact. Despite their shortcomings, they were still quite impressive, though. It's not that Germany could use strategic bombers this late in the war.

off-topic question, but I didn't want to ask in your naval OOB AAR, since it's finished.
anyway, I'm trying to use your top-down approach to design the kriegsmarine in 1936. Which ship stats (apart, obviously, from max range and speed) are totalled in-game and which are averaged?

good job holding Romania. SOmetimes I just let a couple of armies through and then recapture the Danube line to starve them in the mountains (pretty huge gamble. If I don't make it I loose the Balkans and have to make a counteroffensive later to stop them)
Nice one in Italy (did you use only troops available there or did you take some troops from France? (sory if I missed it in your writing)

For the air war it looks like things are sour. You could use more planes. Any chance of building some?

September '44: Victory in France

Untitled00.jpg

AIR WAR OVER EUROPE:

Untitled01.jpg

(above) The Allied and Soviet bombardments continued to be effective over select targets, but one Allied bombing force was effectively intercepted and turned-away over Onsabruk. The Allies continue to challenge German CAP over central France, fighting a series of running battles that generally end with the retreat of German aircraft.

STRATEGIC MISSILE ATTACKS

Untitled02.jpg

(above) German V-2's were finally unleashed to attack Soviet industry. As predicted, Soviet air defences were absolutely powerless to prevent the attacks.

Untitled03.jpg

(above) Intelligence reports the net effect of strategic attacks on the USSR was a loss of 5 IC's.

WESTERN FRONT—Victory in France:

Untitled04.jpg

(above) Allied attempts at a second landing near Calise were foiled by new Coastal Armor units. The combination of heavy panzers and paratroops is a new design, created just for this purpose. Both brigades have high toughness, and when the unit is positioned behind sea fortifications it is extremely difficult to dislodge. Heavy panzers and paratroops are also highly resistant to attack from the air.

Untitled05.jpg

(above) Anti-air reserves are brought up to help protect Coastal Armor units from air attack. As Allied and Comentern bombs become more effective, these units will come to be deployed along every front.

Untitled06.jpg

(above) Reserve panzers were finally released on September 1, and would take a week or so to get into position. The opening attack on Allied positions began in mid-September. Caen fell on October 9, and by mid-October the operation was in mop-up phase.

After this loss the Allies are expected to be set-back a year or more. Rommel's panzer units are to be immediately transferred to the eastern front to shore up weakening defenses of Army Group North. Eventually, all that will be left in France are port guards, AA, coastal panzers, and paratroops.

SUBMARINE WARFARE—Upgrade:

Untitled07.jpg

Submarine technology breakthrough includes new air warning and Sonar units. The submarine fleet will be gradually upgraded beginning with its long-range and blue water submarines.

MANPOWER RESERVES:

Untitled08.jpg

Continued attrition by fighting on multiple fronts has reduced German manpower reserves to critical levels. Continued research into agriculture is a priority as Germany will be unable to go on the offensive until manpower levels recover.

Next Time: Fuel and Resource Crunch

off-topic question, but I didn't want to ask in your naval OOB AAR, since it's finished.
anyway, I'm trying to use your top-down approach to design the kriegsmarine in 1936. Which ship stats (apart, obviously, from max range and speed) are totalled in-game and which are averaged?

Most stats are sum total except ORG and Positioning, which are averaged. Speed and Range use mininum values, while Firing Range uses maximum value.

Nice one in Italy (did you use only troops available there or did you take some troops from France? (sory if I missed it in your writing)

For the air war it looks like things are sour. You could use more planes. Any chance of building some?

The units guarding the south of France were moved to Italy. Some motorized infantry were re-positioned from Croatia but that is all. Bulgarian infantry were SR'd to post guard on French and Italian ports from Marsailles to Genoa.

Yes, Germany is building more fighters, and in the next installment the CAP is reorganized. But, the reserve system seems to be doing the job fairly well as damage is taken the Reserve unit takes to the skys.

Those coastal panzers really look a tough one to defeat.
Amazing idea
I need to try that :ninja:

Good progress in France, though I doubt it'll be extremely decisive. The Allies can just produce more troops and land in other places within few weeks. And in the east you need to eleminate at least a good portion of the Red horde before you can hope for anything. Which also does leave Italy open. It'd be good if it could be restored, though I doubt you have the means neccessary to liberate the rest of the boot or even Sicily. And the submarines... it'd be good if they would sink lots of Allied shipping, but all they can do is buy you time, they can't win the war for you.

Fantastic victory in France. Heavy Armor is useful, then, I guess. Will you bomb Britain with V-rockets?