+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: CK2 - Who will you play as first?

Maybe a Principality (Duchy) like Kiev or Novgorod. I just want a nice safe corner where I can just mess around a bit and get comfortable with the game.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

I'm debating whether to play as either a Duchy in Eastern Europe (Galich, Rostov) or to pick a Duchy in the western chunk of Byzantium.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Lombardia aka New Rome.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Ograv View Post
    King of Norway for my first game, maybe. Looks like the north is independent, and you start in a difficult war where you'll have to beat both saxon England and William. And then comes the kicker: Send your heir to be raised by a norse pagan! When I get tired of that game, I'll either load up as a different ruler in some interesting area in the save, or do something new. Could be a good learning game.

I'd also like to start as the Duke of Apulia, rack up piety beating the sicilian/arab states in Sicily, hire the Hospitalliers and/or the Templars, and conquering and forming the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Keep it till I can change from gavelkind, then give it to a gifted 3rd son or something, or Bohemond if he's still alive at that point, and continue as him. Then push until my glorious crusading blob reaches from the Horn of Africa to Persia to Greece.

Or Barcelona --> Aragon --> Sicily and Sardinia --> Jerusalem, Greece, etc.

Another one: Duke of Toulouse, and then embrace Catharism!
    You stole my idea! i got plans to start as the Duke of Apulia, long live the de Hauteville dynasty!

Quote Originally Posted by John Lackland View Post
    1135 (The Anarchy): King Stephen
    I was thinking Stephen the day of his coronation would be a good one.

Bohemond I of Antioch after Antioch the Crusader States are established might also be a decent one, though you might get killed by Muslims real fast.

Henry the Lion in Saxony would be decent.

Otherwise, a Breton count might be a good place to get the best of the worlds of the Isles and the Continent.

Gonna start in an out-of-the-way area, and try to role-play my characters as they come. Irish duke with an idiot king? Attack England! King becomes a heretic? Spread the new faith! That kind of thing.

I will want to play the duke of toulouse and see what happens when my family embraces the cathar heresy. Hopefully ill be able to hold off the crusades

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Ograv View Post
    King of Norway for my first game, maybe. Looks like the north is independent, and you start in a difficult war where you'll have to beat both saxon England and William. And then comes the kicker: Send your heir to be raised by a norse pagan! When I get tired of that game, I'll either load up as a different ruler in some interesting area in the save, or do something new. Could be a good learning game.

I'd also like to start as the Duke of Apulia, rack up piety beating the sicilian/arab states in Sicily, hire the Hospitalliers and/or the Templars, and conquering and forming the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Keep it till I can change from gavelkind, then give it to a gifted 3rd son or something, or Bohemond if he's still alive at that point, and continue as him. Then push until my glorious crusading blob reaches from the Horn of Africa to Persia to Greece.

Or Barcelona --> Aragon --> Sicily and Sardinia --> Jerusalem, Greece, etc.

Another one: Duke of Toulouse, and then embrace Catharism!

Who knows which character I'll really end up with as my first game. I want to play them all..

Edit:

Nope, you can arrange a Matrilinear marriage now that keeps the mothers dynasty for any children. So Matilda is fully playable.
    Awesome. Thanks!
    Traits: Thrifty clerk, Poet, Kind, Deceitful, Charitable, Wroth, Proud, Ambitious, Arbitrary, Homosexual, Zealot

After a bit more research for a conveniently related history paper on Byzantium I'm now 90% sure I'll be going with the Doux of Paphlagonia. I'm assuming that's where the Komneni dynasty would be situated in 1066 with the head of the family being the future-emperor Alexios' father, Ioannes Komnenos. Alexios would be 10 at the game's start I do believe.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultImpire
    MagickaNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesCK2: Holy Knight
    Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

william the conqueror sounds fun but i think im going to be playing with friend or friends not sure (2-3 players) so i think we will pick another kingdom and be dukes there (france, hre for some easier game) but id like to pick something like byzantine or hungary wich would be wicked fun

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I've tried several times with CKI playing as the Western Isles to Unite Scotland and install Norse-Gaelic culture. It's extremely difficult and relies more on luck than skill so hopefully CKII will provide alternative strategies for greater chances of success.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war ~ Plato

"There is no joy without Clan Donald. There is no strength to be without them!"

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

King of Denmark.

I'll probably start with a king-tier character. Most likely the king of Sweden. That way I can learn how the game works.
    My first real game will be as the count of Loon, because my family hails from that region. I'm not yet sure on what goals I will aim for. I had three ideas:

1) Become king of Scandinavia and Spain, just because they're respectivly the northern and southern border of the christian world. Might be challenging to keep control of two regions that are so far apart.
    2) Become the HRE and expands from there. (Most realistic option)
    3) Become king of Jerusalem. I'll probably have to hand out my European possesions if I manage to grab that title, though.
    I lay awake, and strap myself to the bed.
    Put a bulletproof vest on, and shoot myself in the head.

What about interrealm alliances?

Check out the Lotharingia and Lowland mod for CK2!

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Count of Coimbra

Last edited by vanadio; 03-12-2011 at 11:50.

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Count of Norfolk

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I hope they have the random count, duke, king options in the game as I'm going to chose my county at random. In CKI I almost always started as a lowly count and slowly raised my dynasty to rule a kingdom. In one game I managed to jump from a count to king in one war. What I remember I had hard time after that with the unruly vassals.
    Last edited by Wezqu; 03-12-2011 at 11:47.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

I'll see if I can find my added dynasty anywhere, get them into a count position, and start as them.

Glory to me!
    Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. - Murphy's law

The Dream of Dumbarton Watch the rebirth of Strathclyde in my first AAR!

Best Character Writer of the Week: 3/2/13 Fan of the week: 1/6/13

"Fear not what will be, fear what has already come to pass"

Alexios Komnenos.
    "'The beginning of evil is heedlessness."
    -Abba Poemen, Apophthegmata Patrum

Indefatigable Psychotic tamius23's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

Once I've learnt to play, my first game will be as the Duke of (Great) Perm, latest start.

I have many possibilities.

Either i will play as William the Conqueror before the conquest and later unite all of Britain and northern France under my rule, or i will unite Sweden as Sverkerätten and later Scandinavia. Maybe unite Italy under the Normans or form a new Mediterranean empire under the Kingdom of Aragon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast