+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New unit preview: Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier

Naval War: Arctic CircleVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

The developers could add UKIP coming to power into the plot giving the RN the same numbers it had in 2001:
    3x supercarrier
    12x Astute class
    22x Frigates
    11x destroyers
    and alot of other RFA ships

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imperialman View Post
    Well, the sonar will make special romantic whale noises.
    Cheeky!
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Hearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic Circle

Quote Originally Posted by astute97 View Post
    The developers could add UKIP coming to power into the plot giving the RN the same numbers it had in 2001:
    3x supercarrier
    12x Astute class
    22x Frigates
    11x destroyers
    and alot of other RFA ships
    I don't think that could happen, even in a game, ever. Besides, UKIP don't say that's what they want and quite frankly their current defence policy is populist nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by safferli View Post
    Cheeky!
    "The best thing about the British is our ability to laugh at ourselves. By ourselves, I mean other people and by laugh, I mean invade."

Great work with the Queen Elizabeth. Can I ask how polygons the model has? And the quality of the texture?

Is there going to be catapult animations for launching aircraft and elevators going down/up? It would be possible to pin a camera into the flight deck to watch the aircraft is launched and landed?

Regards.

Naval War: Arctic Circle

Bergen, Hordaland, Norway, 106562399381316, Bergen, Hordaland
    I'll check out the exact details about the model.

No, we don't have animations for elevators or catapults or anything like that. Would be very nice to have, but 1) you don't directly control the allocation of aircraft between hangars and deck in this game; and 2) it's an expensive feature to add that gamers would use very little time watching and experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by gmilitel View Post
    Great work with the Queen Elizabeth. Can I ask how polygons the model has? And the quality of the texture?
    Hi gmilitel,
    The model has 13594 triangles. Most of the triangles goes into the smaller details, like cannons, antennas, side platforms, fences, etc. The main hull itself has about 1000 triangles only Most ship models in the game are between 10-15k triangles. A few with more "stuff" on the deck are at 20k. The smaller ships, submarines and airplanes are at 5k or so

Note: Just in case, K = thousand
    Last edited by Vectorman; 08-03-2012 at 19:08.

Lord High Admiral General Baker's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...r-trebles.html

Estimates for adapting HMS Prince of Wales so that it can be used by the Joint Strike Fighter are understood have risen from £500 million to £1.8 billion.

Millions have already been spent on studies to look at how to convert the ship after ministers decided to scrap the jump-jet variant of the plane in favour of a conventional take-off and landing model. But so great is the rise in total costs, ministers are considering abandoning the plan and reverting to the Ministry of Defence’s original proposals.
    F-35B here we come!

<kingofk> i just made my blind son a court calligrapher
    <kingofk> he is happy so we all kinda go along with it

Well, we're not changing the game!

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Tehehe

Did ōyvind ever make the ski-ramp version of the ship?

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 Complete
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSword of the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by General Baker View Post
    So this government is just as useless at estimating costs as the previous one, that's good to know. £500m to £1.8bn is just ridiculous though. How can it cost that much to modify a ship they haven't built yet??

How does changing back to the original plan fit with the SDSR's emphasis on interoperability and pooling resources with allies, particularly the USA and France? And what about the claimed whole-life cost savings from using the cheaper and easier to maintain F35C for both RAF and RN?

What does this change, if confirmed, mean for fitting out PoW with EMALS? Is that no longer needed? I suppose if would mean that we could make use of both carriers, seeing as they will be of the same configuration again..

Hearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic Circle

Quote Originally Posted by slornie View Post
    So this government is just as useless at estimating costs as the previous one, that's good to know. £500m to £1.8bn is just ridiculous though. How can it cost that much to modify a ship they haven't built yet??

How does changing back to the original plan fit with the SDSR's emphasis on interoperability and pooling resources with allies, particularly the USA and France? And what about the claimed whole-life cost savings from using the cheaper and easier to maintain F35C for both RAF and RN?

What does this change, if confirmed, mean for fitting out PoW with EMALS? Is that no longer needed? I suppose if would mean that we could make use of both carriers, seeing as they will be of the same configuration again..
    It won't be happening, this came from mere speculation by the shadow Defence Minister Jim Murphy.
    "The best thing about the British is our ability to laugh at ourselves. By ourselves, I mean other people and by laugh, I mean invade."

Quote Originally Posted by General Baker View Post
    Did ōyvind ever make the ski-ramp version of the ship?
    No, the QE class was made quite late in the process.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 Complete
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSword of the Stars

Maybe we should just forget about the F35 and ask BAE/EADS nicely if they will build us 50 or so navalised Eurofighters. STOBAR has to be cheaper than CATOBAR, right?

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldMagicka
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSemper FiSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations

Maybe we should just forget about the F35 and ask BAE/EADS nicely if they will build us 50 or so navalised Eurofighters. STOBAR has to be cheaper than CATOBAR, right?
    The cost of development would be insane for one country alone. We'd be better off buying the Rafale.

I can tell you right now that Eurofighters don't do very well head-to-head with F-35s. That's in NWAC, obviously, but we all know that is a perfect simulation of real world combat

shouldn't there be a CIWS and a 30mm orkelon (where the closest visable defence weapon is) but there is just one.

Hearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic CircleSupreme Ruler: Cold War

In a dinghy in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
    Astute, it's just a 3D model, and they can't model every single little detail. Most of the time, you'll be on the main map.

Trudat. The 3D view is more for care-free panning and zooming while you wait for your AWACS units to pick up contacts, tbh

Quote Originally Posted by nimitz98 View Post
    Astute, it's just a 3D model, and they can't model every single little detail. Most of the time, you'll be on the main map.
    Just saying...

In any case they'll probably not have time to alter the model now. Maybe we can hope for a patch, post-release

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast