• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(255172)

Turbo Tape Games Dev
1 Badges
Jan 26, 2011
turbotapegames.com
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
The Royal Navy's new aircraft carrier class, Queen Elizabeth, is under production in our studio much like in real life.

hms_queenelizabeth_maya_fix_RED.jpg

Here you can see the 3D model of the future ruler of the waves under production in Maya. Øyvind is soon finished with it. The new carrier should be included in the next-next build, if everything works as planned.

Happy, Imperialman? :)

Last edited:
The Royal Navy's new aircraft carrier class, Queen Elizabeth, is under production in our studio much like in real life.

View attachment 43014

Here you can see the 3D model of the future ruler of the waves under production in Maya. Øyvind is soon finished with it. The new carrier should be included in the next-next build, if everything works as planned.

Happy, Imperialman? :)

It looks very good but it appears to be the cancelled French carrier design! (the shape of the islands and the big arrow on the deck) Are the textures final?

Edit: Quite happy, thank you :)

This is the now final design IRL of the British carrier. :p
QE_class_carrier.jpg

This of the cancelled French version
SHIP_CV_PA2_Concept_2006-06_lg.jpg

Last edited:
Great pointers, I will fix the texture to the correct one :)

You must be Øyvind! :) Keep up the fantastic work, all of the models I've seen so far are of fantastic quality and have really made my game sessions immersive (directing a realistic looking Russian carrier against a Nimitz is always fun). I feel like an ass criticising your work but I am quite a geek regarding this particular class of ship! So please don't take any offence. :p

You must be Øyvind! :) Keep up the fantastic work, all of the models I've seen so far are of fantastic quality and have really made my game sessions immersive (directing a realistic looking Russian carrier against a Nimitz is always fun). I feel like an ass criticising your work but I am quite a geek regarding this particular class of ship! So please don't take any offence. :p

Yep im Øyvind :) Thank you for the nice words, and dont worry about pointing out errors!

Ah looks beautiful now! Less French, always a plus! Thanks for listening to my comments. :happy:

Ah, good to see some carriers. Beautiful model and I think it will be a very potent unit in-game. And did you say next-next build like in beta-build:D... I cant wait (...to sink it with my Backfires;))!

How many F-35s will it carry, 40-ish?

In peace time or when not on exercises, it'll normally carry 12. In the event of a conflict like the one described as the plot of this game, I believe 50-60 would be surged aboard. 36-40 though would be standard in any intensive operation.

The air group will look like this in differing numbers:

F-35
Chinook
Apache
Merlin
Lynx Wildcat
Maritime Airborne Surveillance Capability (MASC) - Airborne Early Warning aircraft which will is rumoured to be the E-2 Hawkeye.

Is there any alternative to the E-2 Hawkeye in the pipeline?
And what weapons/CIWS will the QEII carry?

Is there any alternative to the E-2 Hawkeye in the pipeline?
And what weapons/CIWS will the QEII carry?

Plenty of alternatives (see below) but the E-2 seems to be the favourite option from what I've read.

A Merlin with a Searchwater RADAR:
attachment.php

An Osprey with Searchwater and one with a wedge:
CV22-TOSS.jpg

faq38h11.jpg

Or some sort of UAV but that idea is probably a non-starter for many reasons.

As for CIWS, there will be the Phalanx CIWS and the usual 30mms and mini-guns. There was talk a while back of the carriers being "fitted for but not with" Aster 15's like the French carrier CdG but that was years ago and now, if any missile defence system even is installed it would most likely be the CAMM system.

only if it the uk had super hornets...but the only thing this ship lacks is a aerial refueling ability and command and control. buts thats about it.

The F-35C can be fitted with buddy-buddy aerial refuelling tanks. Also, they'll be the flagships of the British fleet, you can be assured they will have command and control facilities. So to sum up, it lacks neither of the things you mentioned. :p

As for the SH, the option was considered but unless the JSF programme collapses we're sticking with the F-35.

Last edited by JanH; 25-11-2011 at 13:40. Reason: Defrenchified

The best part of this preview? :)

Aha, can you explain something to me then: The government recently announced that Prince of Wales is going to be the second ship fitted with EMALS (after Gerald R Ford). What's Queen Elizabeth going to be fitted with?

Sorry I missed this. The government are actually still saying they haven't decided which ship will get the first EMALS set. They are examining which hull it'll be more cost effective to fit EMALS to first. It should be remembered they were designed with some ability to be converted into CATOBAR built in but even then, conversion of such large ships is expensive and takes time.

It's more than likely that Prince of Wales will get the EMALS set on build with the first QE being used for trials etc when it's launched in 2016. I believe the "unofficial" plan is to fit PoW with EMALS and then fit another set to QE in her first refit in 2022. So, by 2022 both carriers will be full CATOBAR carriers with EMALS.