+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New unit preview: Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier

Naval War: Arctic Circle

Bergen, Hordaland, Norway, 106562399381316, Bergen, Hordaland

New unit preview: Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carrier

The Royal Navy's new aircraft carrier class, Queen Elizabeth, is under production in our studio much like in real life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hms_queenelizabeth_maya_fix_RED.jpg
Views:	1556
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	43015

Here you can see the 3D model of the future ruler of the waves under production in Maya. Řyvind is soon finished with it. The new carrier should be included in the next-next build, if everything works as planned.

Happy, Imperialman?
    Last edited by JanH; 25-11-2011 at 14:40. Reason: Defrenchified

Hearts of Iron IIINaval War: Arctic Circle

Quote Originally Posted by JanH View Post
    The Royal Navy's new aircraft carrier class, Queen Elizabeth, is under production in our studio much like in real life.

Attachment 43014

Here you can see the 3D model of the future ruler of the waves under production in Maya. Řyvind is soon finished with it. The new carrier should be included in the next-next build, if everything works as planned.

Happy, Imperialman?
    It looks very good but it appears to be the cancelled French carrier design! (the shape of the islands and the big arrow on the deck) Are the textures final?

Edit: Quite happy, thank you

This is the now final design IRL of the British carrier.

This of the cancelled French version
    Last edited by imperialman; 25-11-2011 at 14:11.
    "The best thing about the British is our ability to laugh at ourselves. By ourselves, I mean other people and by laugh, I mean invade."

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 Complete
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSword of the Stars

Awesome!

Maybe you should ask BAE if they want to use NW:AC for some promo shots once its ingame

Quote Originally Posted by slornie View Post
    Awesome!

Maybe you should ask BAE if they want to use NW:AC for some promo shots once its ingame
    Or Thales!
    "The best thing about the British is our ability to laugh at ourselves. By ourselves, I mean other people and by laugh, I mean invade."

Quote Originally Posted by imperialman View Post
    It looks very good but it appears to be the cancelled French carrier design! (the shape of the islands and the big arrow on the deck) Are the textures final?
    Great pointers, I will fix the texture to the correct one

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman View Post
    Great pointers, I will fix the texture to the correct one
    You must be Řyvind! Keep up the fantastic work, all of the models I've seen so far are of fantastic quality and have really made my game sessions immersive (directing a realistic looking Russian carrier against a Nimitz is always fun). I feel like an ass criticising your work but I am quite a geek regarding this particular class of ship! So please don't take any offence.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 Complete
    Naval War: Arctic CircleSword of the Stars

but I am quite a geek regarding this particular class of ship!
    Aha, can you explain something to me then: The government recently announced that Prince of Wales is going to be the second ship fitted with EMALS (after Gerald R Ford). What's Queen Elizabeth going to be fitted with?

What's Queen Elizabeth going to be fitted with?
    They've set up a trebuchet on the deck.

You must be Řyvind! Keep up the fantastic work, all of the models I've seen so far are of fantastic quality and have really made my game sessions immersive (directing a realistic looking Russian carrier against a Nimitz is always fun). I feel like an ass criticising your work but I am quite a geek regarding this particular class of ship! So please don't take any offence.
    Yep im Řyvind Thank you for the nice words, and dont worry about pointing out errors!

Picture of new version posted above!

Řyvind works fast

Ah looks beautiful now! Less French, always a plus! Thanks for listening to my comments.

Ah, good to see some carriers. Beautiful model and I think it will be a very potent unit in-game. And did you say next-next build like in beta-build... I cant wait (...to sink it with my Backfires)!

How many F-35s will it carry, 40-ish?
    "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than the others" "The choice before human beings, is not, as a rule, between good and evil but between two evils"

"The object of waging a war is always to be in a better position in which to wage another war." "War is peace, Freedom is slavery, Ignorance is strength" -

-George Orwell

In peace time or when not on exercises, it'll normally carry 12. In the event of a conflict like the one described as the plot of this game, I believe 50-60 would be surged aboard. 36-40 though would be standard in any intensive operation.

The air group will look like this in differing numbers:

F-35
    Chinook
    Apache
    Merlin
    Lynx Wildcat
    Maritime Airborne Surveillance Capability (MASC) - Airborne Early Warning aircraft which will is rumoured to be the E-2 Hawkeye.

Is there any alternative to the E-2 Hawkeye in the pipeline?
    And what weapons/CIWS will the QEII carry?
    "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than the others" "The choice before human beings, is not, as a rule, between good and evil but between two evils"

"The object of waging a war is always to be in a better position in which to wage another war." "War is peace, Freedom is slavery, Ignorance is strength" -

-George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosM View Post
    Is there any alternative to the E-2 Hawkeye in the pipeline?
    And what weapons/CIWS will the QEII carry?
    Plenty of alternatives (see below) but the E-2 seems to be the favourite option from what I've read.

A Merlin with a Searchwater RADAR:

An Osprey with Searchwater and one with a wedge:

Or some sort of UAV but that idea is probably a non-starter for many reasons.

As for CIWS, there will be the Phalanx CIWS and the usual 30mms and mini-guns. There was talk a while back of the carriers being "fitted for but not with" Aster 15's like the French carrier CdG but that was years ago and now, if any missile defence system even is installed it would most likely be the CAMM system.

only if it the uk had super hornets...but the only thing this ship lacks is a aerial refueling ability and command and control. buts thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nielsenkc View Post
    only if it the uk had super hornets...but the only thing this ship lacks is a aerial refueling ability and command and control. buts thats about it.
    The F-35C can be fitted with buddy-buddy aerial refuelling tanks. Also, they'll be the flagships of the British fleet, you can be assured they will have command and control facilities. So to sum up, it lacks neither of the things you mentioned.

As for the SH, the option was considered but unless the JSF programme collapses we're sticking with the F-35.

ohh ok! awesome i didnt know f-35 could do buddy store tanks.

Commander: Conquest of the Americas

Blog Entries
    Last edited by JanH; 25-11-2011 at 13:40. Reason: Defrenchified
    The best part of this preview? :-)
    “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

Quote Originally Posted by slornie View Post
    Aha, can you explain something to me then: The government recently announced that Prince of Wales is going to be the second ship fitted with EMALS (after Gerald R Ford). What's Queen Elizabeth going to be fitted with?
    Sorry I missed this. The government are actually still saying they haven't decided which ship will get the first EMALS set. They are examining which hull it'll be more cost effective to fit EMALS to first. It should be remembered they were designed with some ability to be converted into CATOBAR built in but even then, conversion of such large ships is expensive and takes time.

It's more than likely that Prince of Wales will get the EMALS set on build with the first QE being used for trials etc when it's launched in 2016. I believe the "unofficial" plan is to fit PoW with EMALS and then fit another set to QE in her first refit in 2022. So, by 2022 both carriers will be full CATOBAR carriers with EMALS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast