• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Read it, enjoyed the anecdotes, mulling over the contents and dreading a future that sees Charles Lindbergh in power in the US, and hence an ultra-isolationist America doing squat to stop the fascist powers of the world. I fear Xibei San Ma will have to face the Japanese alone, without American aid or troops to give aid or distraction...

The thing to remember about the America-Firsters is that they were pacifists but patriots as well. When the Japanese attacked, they were basically behind the war effort and the party dissolved almost overnight. Caroline O'Day was also a pacifist and summed it up pretty well: `Japan, Germany, and Italy have decided the issue of peace or war. ` I don't think the question for armchair historians is so much if a Lindbergh Administration would fight so much as how much more the Axis could get away with before it did fight. Presumably a more isolationist America would not have applied diplomatic pressure or economic sanctions to the Japanese, so they might have stayed confined to China for a few years more. I'm risking being pelted with tomatoes here, but Britain and the Soviet Union basically won the war in Europe before any American troops arrived (Operation TORCH kicked off right as the USSR was turning it around in Stalingrad). Direct US involvement just shortened things for a few years. You can argue though that Britain and the USSR would have collapsed if not for Lend-Lease and Roosevelt's constant circumventions of the Neutrality Acts, so if Lindbergh cut things off completely in January `41, would Barbarossa now have been a success six months later?

All a bit of a moot point for the context of this AAR, as we know already the Japanese here will DoW the USA no matter who is in the White House, so it's not too much of a spoiler to mention that there will still be American involvement. They only way to keep them out would be to defeat Japan by 1941 but I won't have enough ships cranked out by then... well, ships aren't the main issue, I could make quite a few bold moves with a minimal 6x CL + Transport fleet, but I don't have sufficient ground troops to invade Japan *and* keep a line to a port open in the face of the Japanese hordes I have at the border.

Oh dear, I'm not liking the look of the American political front. Wendell Wilkie? Blech!

On the flipside, lovely to see you back in the saddle!

Hehehe I can see the campaign posters now: `Willkie. Blech! Vote Lindbergh`

when you get chance to visit us again. You are now the AArtist of the month for September. Come and bask in the glow of all the well earned praise and pass it on for 1 October

I feel morally obligated to up the art quotient of this AAR after being handed this awAARd, so here's a Saithis-inspired campaign poster for the upcoming 1940 American elections:

CampaignPoster.jpg

There's maybe a touch of irony in your poster that it uses a baby to promote Lindbergh...given the whole Lindbergh baby episode from 1932. But I suppose 8 years is an eternity in American politics and I have to admit you did a fine job creating a believable, period feeling campaign poster. My mind reels to imagine Lindbergh becoming president...

There's also Advantages without Obligations (I think?), a HOI2 AAR by Mettermrck that has an alternate timeline USA where Lindbergh comes to power. It's... Not a pretty tale. A very compelling and well-told tale, I hasten to add, but certainly not a happy tale.

Anyway, just came by to say I like the poster. I expect that would do a fairly good job of burying Wilkie. :)

There's maybe a touch of irony in your poster that it uses a baby to promote Lindbergh...given the whole Lindbergh baby episode from 1932. But I suppose 8 years is an eternity in American politics and I have to admit you did a fine job creating a believable, period feeling campaign poster. My mind reels to imagine Lindbergh becoming president...

Coming from the guy who is setting the new gold standardhttp://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...MERICA-Saves-the-World!-USA-AAR-HOI3-FtM-3.05http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...MERICA-Saves-the-World!-USA-AAR-HOI3-FtM-3.05http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...MERICA-Saves-the-World!-USA-AAR-HOI3-FtM-3.05 in re-creating American WWII propaganda, that is high praise indeed!

You have me thinking how sensitive he might have been to the baby issue later in his life. Did his friends kick each other under the table if somebody accidentally even used the word? That's not the kind of detail that gets discussed much in a typical biography. But perhaps he would have approved of this metaphor- little baby America needs to be brought back to his proper father.

Reviewing my work, I can see that I failed propaganda 101- I should have made the words `Lindbergh` and `America` in a larger font size and/or a different color to link them more firmly in the minds of the viewer. When you're trying to influence someone, every design decision or lack thereof has a potential impact on your success.

Philip Roth, The Plot Against America. A pretty cool book in which Lindbergh becomes president.

I looked it up and it sounds interesting. I'm especially piqued by the surprising twist ending that no reveiwer has given away yet.

There's also Advantages without Obligations (I think?), a HOI2 AAR by Mettermrck that has an alternate timeline USA where Lindbergh comes to power. It's... Not a pretty tale. A very compelling and well-told tale, I hasten to add, but certainly not a happy tale.

Anyway, just came by to say I like the poster. I expect that would do a fairly good job of burying Wilkie. :)

Thanks! I tried to find that AAR in the HOI2 LibAARy but didn't see it by name or by author.