• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter III

The von Zweibrückens
On the 1st of May 1547 Gustav I Vasa is found dead in his chamber in his Castle just outside Stockholm. He was 51 years old. His son Oskar is only 4 years old and thus incapable of ruling the realm. Sweden will remember Gustav as a rather enigmatic person, both a liberator and a tyrannical ruler. Mostly however he will be remembered as “The father of the nation” and seen as a hero who cast of the yoke of Danish oppression.

Due to Oskar’s youth his mother Catherine von Zweibrücken assumes leadership as Queen regnant until her son comes of age.

The 1st Russo-Turkish war (1557-1560)
When the Ottoman Empire Annexed the Crimean Khanate in 1540 they gained a lot of land also claimed by the Tsardom of Russia. The conflicting territorial claim coupled with severe religious intolerance on part of the Russians is an infallible recipe for war. The long expected war breaks out in 1557 with the Ottoman Sultan wowing to submit all of Russia to the will of Allah. Queen Catherine is at first hesitant at sending Swedish forces to a war so far away. Many of the Swedish nobles on the council urge war however, the Muslim threat is too great to ignore. What affects Russia indirectly affects Sweden as Russia is the only thing keeping the Danish and Norwegians from extracting revenge against Sweden.

In 1558 Oskar is Crowned Oskar I von Zweibrücken, King of Sweden. Oskar is only 15 years old and as such he is easily swayed by the influential nobles of Riksrådet. The late Gustav had hoped that Oskar would become an excellent monarch, as it turns out Catherine got overly protective of him. He was not allowed to practice fighting, riding or hunting. Oskar is however now king and as such he can do whatever he pleases. He sends Olof Engelbrekt, Duke of Östergötland with 13 000 men towards the east to aid the Russians.

1st Battle of Moscow (10-06-1559)
Prelude: When Swedish troops entered Russia in late 1558 they received a surprisingly friendly welcome. The Russian army has suffered several defeats including the especially crippling defeats at The Battle of Kiev and The Battle of Poltava where the Russians lost 22000 and 26000 men respectively.

The Ottoman Empire drunk on its achievements lays siege to Moscow with a rather small and incompetently led force. That is however all that is needed as the remains of the Russian army is occupied elsewhere, either fighting desperately to hold onto land or recovering its steadily plummeting morale.

The Battle: When Duke Engelbrekt, commander of the Swedish expeditionary force reaches Moscow he finds the city still holding strong against the Turks. Engelbrekt wastes no time as he swiftly forms up his army for battle and begins his advance. The Ottoman siege force finds itself trapped between Moscows walls and Englebrekts Pikes.

The Ottoman force lacks a potent cavalry force. What little horsemen they have are simply levies with no proper training. Its infantry is the same, levies with even less training than its mounted counterparts. The Ottoman Artillery is potent but is pointed towards Moscow with little chance of being turned around.
Swedish musketeers rip into the Ottoman lines mercilessly followed by a charge by the Pikemen. The Swedish cavalry sweeps the Ottoman cavalry aside with little trouble and with a deafening thunder of hooves they bear down on the Turks from behind.

Out of roughly 8000 Turks a mere 3000 escape death. The unorganized levies leave behind all their cannons, supplies, flags and ammunition. Englebrekt enters Moscow as a hero.

Aftermath: The 1st battle of Moscow is not a major setback for the Ottoman wareffort as 5000 dead are easily replaced. Another 14000 Turks are already approaching Moscow. Not wishing to be besieged Engelbrekt prepares to leave Moscow to meet the Turks in the field.

2nd Battle of Moscow (14-07-1559)
Prelude: Upon hearing of the defeat of the forces sieging Moscow the Ottoman General Cihangir Semiz who has just captured Vladimir marches west to engage his new foe. Semiz knows little of the Swedish army, its composition and its tactics but surely it will be no match for him. He does after all have over 8000 Sipahi heavy cavalry.

The Battle: Semiz has made a severe tactical blunder that becomes evident to Engelbrekt almost immediately. The terrain East of Moscow is mostly forest were the Ottoman cavalry and artillery will be nearly useless.

The Battle begins with a predictable Ottoman cavalry charge. Engelbrekt simply forms up his pike men and the scattered Ottoman horsemen either ride headlong into the pike wall or are picked off by Swedish sharpshooters. The Ottoman cavalry casualties are enormous.

With the Ottoman cavalry repulsed Engelbrekt forms up for a counterattack attack. The outnumbered Ottoman infantry is decimated by Musket volleys and skewered on pikes. Semiz is forced to retreat but manages to save most of his prized artillery.

Aftermath: The second battle of Moscow is celebrated with Te Deum back in Sweden and In Moscow Engelbrekt is once more hailed as a hero, a staunch defender of Christendom in the face of the Muslim hordes.
A Russian counterattack is now finally a possibility.

Swedish forces march south towards Tula on the Ottoman-Russian border. Tula is almot completely empty as most inhabitants have fled. Swedish troops finds the town to be excellent for winter encampment.

In Istanbul Sultan Ibrahim I is furious. He has just received words about a new foe in his war against the Russians. A foe that has twice bested his invincible army, a foe in yellow coats flying dark blue banners adorned with three golden crowns. This foe cannot be allowed to continue its interference. Sultan Ibrahim dons his armor and mounts his finest horse. His subjects tell him that the enemy is camped in Tula near the Ottoman-Russian border with aproximatley 12000 men. Ibrahims forces are stretched thin but he manages to muster almost 22 000 men for his assault on Tula.

The Battle of Tula (27-11-1559)
“My Lord, My Lord” the young messenger shouted as he approached Engelbrekts room in a mansion just outside Tula.

“Calm yourself lad, what is it”
“I bring word from our scouts; the Turks are approaching from the south, Over 20000 of them”
“Composition?” Engelbrekt asked.
“Almost 12000 Infantry, 9000 Cavalry, and a medium sized artillery contingent”
“Well done soldier, go to the kitchen, you must be hungry”
“Thank you my Lord”
The young man saluted and left the war room.
Engelbrekt turned to his commanders.
“Well you heard the boy, 20000 Turks are coming our way. Let’s give them a proper greeting shall we?”

Prelude: At dawn the 27th of November the Swedish army formed up outside Tula in standard battle formation, pikes and muskets flanked by Cavalry with the artillery on a hill behind them. The weather was clear and cold wit good sight for miles in every direction, any attempt by the Turks to flank around would be spotted immediately. The only option is a frontal assault.

The Battle: The battle starts off with Swedish light cavalry harassing the Ottoman lines as they advance. This harassing soon turns into very aggressive skirmishing, the Ottoman baggage train is plundered. The Swedish raiding parties captures enough food and supplies to last the army for months. As further insult they also captures Ibrahim´s personal wardrobe. When the Ottoman lines reach Tula they are in disarray and cannot manage to gain an advantage over their outnumbered foes.

Rather than risking losing his entire army Ibrahim withdraws southward to home territory.

Aftermath: The Victory at Tula was thought to be the battle that would turn the war, however the Russian Tsar undercuts his Swedish allies and rather than committing to a full-scale counterattack he cedes Kiev, Poltava and Pensa to the Turks. A smashing defeat for Christianity and for Sweden who loses her one ally that was keeping Denmark and Norway in check. This will forever brand the Tsar as a coward. Swedish prestige however skyrockets.

Sweden c. 1560

Oskar I von Zweibrücken (ADM:6 MIL:5 DIP:4)
King of Sweden
Dynastic Links:
~ Holstein, Gustav von Zweibrücken,

Treasury: 306 Million Ducats
GDP: 482,6 Million Ducats

Army: 12000 Pike and Shot, 6 000 Cavalry, 2000 Gunners
Reserves: 48,000
Navy: 10 Galleons, 2 Barques 3 Galleys, 7 Cogs
Discipline: 139%
Tradition: Land: 67, 20 Naval: 7, 90

Prestige: 29
Legitimacy: 95

Great victories and the distraction and route of the largest force the Ottomans could muster, and yet the Russian AI still gives up. What a shame, hopefuly a reckoning will come against such a treachery.

fascinating campaign in Russia ... but rather frustrating to be abandoned on the point of victory .... & left without allies when facing the evil Danes
Glad you enjoyed it. Yes but I can hardly blame Russia, they faced 2 years of constant defeats before I Intervened, I reasoned that the a Regency council would argue and squabble a lot until a real king could take the helm.

Great victories and the distraction and route of the largest force the Ottomans could muster, and yet the Russian AI still gives up. What a shame, hopefuly a reckoning will come against such a treachery.

Well I can hardly blame the Russians, they were riding on 16+ WE for a whole year (1558-59). If only I had been better prepared for such a war I could have intervened earlier and with larger forces.

Great update with detailed notes on the battles. Very well written and set out. :)

Great update with detailed notes on the battles. Very well written and set out. :)

Thank you. I will probably not write details of every battle. Only for the really decisive ones. Still do not worry, there a quite a few decisive ones in the near future.

Chapter IV

Hot från tvenne sidor
When the Tsardom of Russia surrendered to the Ottoman Empire in early 1560 one of the demands placed by the Sultan was that Russia would cancel all diplomatic ties with The Kingdom of Sweden due to Swedish interference nearly costing Ibrahim the war.

In Sweden this is met with dismay and almost panic, the alliance with mighty Russia was one of the few things that kept Denmark and Norway from extracting revenge on Sweden. This situation will require careful diplomatic navigation.

Hakkapeliitta

Finnish light cavalry had during the war against the Turks proven to be very reliable as skirmishers and flanking forces. They were singlehandedly responsible for confusing the Turks into defeat at Tula and the capture of the entire Ottoman baggage train. Capable of both silent scouting and swift savage attacks the Finnish cavalry finds a permanent place within every Swedish field army from 1560 onwards

Protestantism had long spread through Sweden and by 1561 Sweden is split almost 50/50 between Protestants and Catholics. So far Oskar has managed to avoid complete religious civil war. Oskar does however see the appeal of Protestantism, many of his tutors had been protestant. On the 30th of June 1561 Oskar surprises his court when he converts to Protestantism. With Oskars conversion comes a lot of new laws as well.

1. All inhabitants in Sweden must be Protestant. Any non protestant is allowed to stay for 2 weeks, after that he must either convert or leave the Kingdom.
  2. Peasants and Burghers may not read the bible. That is reserved for Nobles end Clerics.
  3. The Church is now allowed to tax whatever peasants that work church lands
  4. Any attempt at ridiculing and questioning the holy bible or God in any way is punishable by burning at the stake.

This of course causes great instability in the Kingdom. A Large conversion program will be needed to convert the remaining Catholics. This is just he Excuse Norway needs. Sweden is on its knees with a young inexperienced king. War is declared on the 6th of July 1561. Denmark declares its own war on the 19th of July with the excuse that Swedish merchants have long flaunted the Oresund Toll

As most Swedish forces are still located in Eastern Finland the fastest way to Sweden proper is by boat over Ålands Hav. To secure the crossing the Swedish navy is mobilized for the first time.

As an entity the Swedish navy is inexperienced, it has not seen action for decades; its officers are young and overconfident. Only one man has any experience. Klas Horn, recently appointed Admiral of the Realm, he has served with the English Navy against the French and as such he has direct experience from the finest fleet in the world.

As the Swedish fleet leaves Stockholm to secure Ålands hav for the Swedish army they are set upon by the Norwegians. The Norwegian navy is the complete opposite of the Swedish. It has experienced officers, competent sailors and a large quantity of fast going barques, a Vessel excellent for the Baltic Sea.

Againts this Klas has 9 galleons, a new model of ship from Spain. A Galleon is slower than a Barque but has nearly twice as many cannons. The Norweigian navy is approaching on two columns expecting to engage the Swedish navy in boarding action. Klas maneuvers his navy to “Cross the T” of the Norwegian columns. The Smaller Barques are simply blown to smithereens before they can even get close.

The Norwegian fleet is pursued and cornered in the Gulf of Finland where it is captured and scuttled.

On land the Norwegian army has been ravaging the province of Värmland, however upon hearing of the return of the Swedish main army they retreat towards Uddevalla in Bohuslän hoping that Engelbrekt won´t dare to follow. They are dead Wrong.

The Battle of Uddevalla (03-11-1561)

Prelude: With Norwegian forces having withdrawn to Uddevalla as the Swedish main army approached Värmland King Erik III feels rather safe. There is no way that Swedish forces will risk an attack on his fortified position while the Danes are threatening his southern flank. Erik is however completely mistaken. The Swedish army is mostly consisting of veterans from the war with the Ottoman empire, having faced the most powerful foe in the known world Engelbrekt knows that his soldiers will have no problem dealing with a few mountain louts.

The Battle: The area outside Uddevalla is heavily fortified. Trenches and Chevaux de fries provide complete protection against any cavalry charge and the Norwegian army has enough Musketeers to match the Swedes bullet for bullet.

They are however completely unprepared for the savagery of the Swedish assault. Swedish artillery smash the Chevaux de fries to pieces within minutes and infantry storms the trenches, with their protection from cavalry gone Finnish cavalry thunder straight into the Norwegian cavalry. The casualties are horrendous. These swift attacks catch the Norwegians completely off guard. King Erik flees alongside his army into Danish occupied Västergötland.

Aftermath
: Erik´s greatest mistake was that he underestimated the speed that the Swedish army could attack with. Many of the veterans from the war against the Turks where no prisoners were ever taken know that the only option is victory or death. These swift and unpredictable attacks will from now on be the trademark way in which the Swedish army conducts all its battles.

With the Norwegian army defeated and pursued to Västergötland where it surrenders without battle Engelbrekt has effectively wiped out one of two aggressors in a single battle.

After the destruction of the Norwegian army and complete blockade of all Danish ports, the Kalmar Alliance as they called themselves had no means of stopping Sweden. Skåne and Halland fell in a few months as did Jämtland.

Norway is forced to cede Jämtland and Denmark gives up the strategically important Island of Gotland, further cementing Swedish Dominance in the Baltic Sea.

Sweden c. 1563

Oskar I von Zweibrücken (ADM:6 MIL:5 DIP:4)

King of Sweden

Dynastic Links:

~ Holstein, Gustav von Zweibrücken,

Treasury: 463 Million Ducats
GDP: 485,6 Million Ducats

Army: 12000 Pike and Shot, 6 000 Cavalry, 2000 Gunners
Reserves: 48,000
Navy: 10 Galleons, 2 Barques 3 Galleys, 7 Cogs
Tradition: Land: 68, 20 Naval: 12, 90

Prestige: 73
Legitimacy: 93

Indeed, always nice to see a hard driving victory. That was quite the Norwegian Army that suffered defeat as well. Plus, I'm surprised the Scottish didn't show. Long voyage across the North Sea and battling when you get there would seem to be right up their alley.

Impressive victory, Sweden is cementing itself as both a land and sea power to be reckoned with. Eventually the Danes are going to have to be pushed completely out of the Scandinavia peninsula, perhaps sooner would be better than later?

Most impressive! That was a hard won sea battle, and some more hard fights over the enemy. Excellent progress!

well that certainly put the Norwegians in their place ... now to deal with Denmark - & rebuild links with Russia?

Without spoiling too much I can say that Norway will not show its ugly head any time soon.

It is always nice to see the danes getting themselves beaten to a pulp, establish Scandinavia!

and then conquer Russia... :D

Scandinavia? Probably later, I have goals elsewhere for now.

Indeed, always nice to see a hard driving victory. That was quite the Norwegian Army that suffered defeat as well. Plus, I'm surprised the Scottish didn't show. Long voyage across the North Sea and battling when you get there would seem to be right up their alley.

The Scottish didnt show because they were fighting the English

Impressive victory, Sweden is cementing itself as both a land and sea power to be reckoned with. Eventually the Danes are going to have to be pushed completely out of the Scandinavia peninsula, perhaps sooner would be better than later?

For now I have the best navy in the Baltic sea, however both Poland and Denmark are nibbling at my heels. Admiral Klas Horn is 3rd in the world. Not even the English has an admiral that good.

Most impressive! That was a hard won sea battle, and some more hard fights over the enemy. Excellent progress!
I got lucky that I managed to establish a blockade of Oresund before the Danes got moving. They only had 3000 men on my side of the Strait.

Intermission
God Wills It!-Sweden during the Protestant conversions
Oskar´s conversion to Protestantism came after the about 50% of Sweden’s population had converted to it as well. Sweden had never really had any laws forbidding heretical beliefs and as such it was a prime breeding ground for Protestants. When Oskar converted he passed a lot of new laws regarding religions in Sweden (See previous post) these laws greatly aided in the conversion of the remaining chatolics.
The conversions were also remarkably peaceful in nature. Only about 20 people were executed for heresy in the period 1563-1579. By autumn 1579 all of Sweden embraces Protestantism as their faith and will fiercely defend it against any attempted catholic attack.

Only one tragedy would befall Sweden during this period of peace, the death of Oskar I in 1575. He died peacefully in his sleep. His younger brother Gustav II Adolf von Zwebrücken is crowned King of Sweden. Gustav never really mourned his brothers passing. The brothers had been bitter rivals ever sense birth and now that Oskar was dead Gustav had no problem claiming the throne.

In Early 1578 Gustav starts preparations for his first military campaign. His eyes (and those of the Riksråd) are set upon the Baltic Provinces of Estland and Livland. These provinces have long been jealously guarded by the knights of the Livonian Order who had repulsed both Polish and Russian attacks. Especially the city of Dorpat is extensively fortified and prepared to withstand long sieges and severe artillery bombardment. Many costal forts also guard the Gulf of Riga, an attack from sea is highly unlikely.
Gustav instead chooses to target the weakly defended northern coast. Swedish forces are massed in Viborg for transportation across the Gulf of Finland. War is once again looming on the horizon.

Chapter V

The Estonian War

The Livonian order was the last remnants of the crusader state located on the Baltic coast. While the order had long overstayed its welcome, both in Polish eyes and those of the Holy Roman Emperor they still held firm to their belief that a great crusade was forthcoming. Be it against the Heretics in the East or towards the Holy land. The Order had managed to repulse both Polish and Russian attacks on its lands and even conquered Pskov from the Russians.

By comparison to these behemoths the Swedish army is tiny, only 20000 strong. These numbers are however deceptive. The Swedish army is by 1580 the best army in the world. The common Swedish footsoldier is well equipped, well fed, well paid and well trained. By comparison the Livonian army is in shambles, its only reliable force is the severely outdated armored knights.
In command of the Swedish forces massed in Viborg is Count Pontus de la Gardie. A terrific military mind and the perfect man for the task of subduing the Knights.

(Pontus de la Gardie)
The first shots of the war are fired by the Swedish navy under Admiral of the Realm Klas Horn. This time the target is the well fortified Gulf of Riga. Over 500 cannons cover the entrance to the gulf.
Under ferocious cannonades the Swedish navy enters the Gulf of Riga and smashes the remains of the Knights fleet. With their ports under strict blockade the Knights turn their faith to Lukas Dershau, a 44 year old member of the order and a devout catholic. He wows “to expel, hunt and destroy the heretics staking their claims on catholic soil”

Pontus Enters Estland in May 1580 with 20000 men. He leaves one of his sub commanders Christian Sandels in Estland to lay siege to Reval. While he moves with 13000 men towards the most heavily fortified city of Dorpat. When he arrives he finds that Lukas´s army is nowhere to be found.
The Battle of Valmiera (02-07-1580)

Prelude:
The Battle of Valmiera, also known as “The battle that broke the Order” de la Gardie´s scouts report that Lukas has moved his army to Valmiera where the Hochmeister is located. Pontus force marches his army southwards leaving his supply chains far behind. Several soldiers starve to death. When de la Gardie reaches Valmiera it is reduced to 8519 foot soldiers, 2852 Cavalrymen and 926 gunners. Facing this The Order has 11000 footsoldiers and 3000 Knights.

The Battle: The battle starts around 10:30 am with the Orders knights conducting a medieval style cavalry charge against the Swedish infantry line. Like a massive armored fist the knights thunder towards the Swedish line, banners fluttering in the wind. Now if the Swedish army had been what it was back in 1521 it would undoubtedly have fled at such a majestic and fearsome sight. But the Swedish army of 1580 is one of the best trained and disciplined in the world. They stand defiantly in the face of the Knights. When the Knights are 30 paces from the Musketeers the captains orders ring out along the line: FIRE!!!
The knight’s armor is useless at such a short range and caught in the devastating crossfire the knights fall by the thousands. What few survive the massive barrage surrenders in front of the Swedish infantry. Seeing their prized knights being massacred the 11000 strong Livonian footsoldiers drop their weapons and marches towards the Swedes with white banners. Lukas turns himself over to de la Gardie as a prisoner.

Aftermath:The Prisoners are either ransomed back to the families that can afford it or they are sent to perform manual labor at the Swedish sieges in Estland and Livland. Lukas renounces his oath of fealty to the Order and two days later he commits suicide as a Swedish P.O.W.

Over two coming two years of the war nothing of note happens, Valmiera and Estland falls swiftly after Lucas´s Failure but Dorpat stands strong. The Swedish navy under Klas Horn holds the gulf of Riga in an iron grip, they stay out of range from most of the guns on the coast and what guns do reach the ships often fail to do any real damage.

Until the 21st of July 1582; while standing on the quarterdeck looking at a section of fort he has been bombarding for several hours a stray cannonball from one of the few remaining guns strikes his left leg severing it and his right leg is crushed beyond recognition. The ships surgeon does what he can but what remains of his legs must be amputated, 2 hours later he expires in the surgeon’s cabin. His last words will become the unofficial motto of the Swedish navy. “For king and country I have done my duty”
No man is as of yet able to replace him and the position of Admiral of the Real will be vacant for some time.

The war would drag on for another 3 years but the last real filed battle is fought in 1583 in the forests of Kurland. Once again Swedish casualties are minimal while the entire force of the order is killed or captured.

In May 1586, one month before the fall of Dorpat, the last stronghold of the Livonian order grim news reach Stockholm. Russia is once again under attack from the Muslim hordes. When Dorpat finally falls in June the order has no choice but to cede Estland and Livland to Sweden.

Just two days following this victory General Karl Horn (Not related to the late great admiral) is tasked with leading the Swedish army to aid the Russians. Once again however Swedish aid arrives too late. The Swedish army fights one battle in Tula alongside a Russian army. It is a significant victory but it is also the only victory the Russians have as they make peace only one week later once again severing their alliance with Sweden.

Sweden c. 1588

Gustav II Adolf von Zweibrücken (ADM:7 MIL:3 DIP:6)

King of Sweden
Dynastic Links:

~ None

Treasury: 1023 Million Ducats
GDP: 685,6 Million Ducats

Army: Inconclusive following the casualties in the Estonian War
Reserves: 51,000
Navy: 10 Galleons, 2 Barques 8 Galleys, 7 Cogs
Tradition: Land: 88, 20 Naval: 22, 90

Prestige: 85
Legitimacy: 93