• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe it's a bug? Get TSC -> quit, reload -> no TSC? In that case we should make sure the previous ruler clicks ok before saving & quitting, so that it actually happens.

It's debatable whether or not it can be called a bug - this is how it goes for any event that waits for a click before firing. If you save before clicking, quit and reload, it never happened. So we should be careful not to leave anything open as it won't "transfer" to the next player.

Well, I got sick of computer problems and actually went out and bought a new laptop. Not just for this AAR, but because my crappy laptop has been having trouble in general. This was just a convenient excuse!

I can confirm that I got no TSC, but I will make sure that it activates for the person after me :p

Starting play now for real!

Well, I got sick of computer problems and actually went out and bought a new laptop. Not just for this AAR, but because my crappy laptop has been having trouble in general. This was just a convenient excuse!

I can confirm that I got no TSC, but I will make sure that it activates for the person after me :p

Starting play now for real!

In case you really missed rebels tearing up our nation, you can always start events from the console. But yeh, we should definitely remember to activate all events before saving. Have fun with your new laptop btw. :)

In case you really missed rebels tearing up our nation, you can always start events from the console. But yeh, we should definitely remember to activate all events before saving. Have fun with your new laptop btw. :)

Thanks :D Its kind of awkward getting used to a new computer but I'm enjoying it. EU3 goes somewhere between twice to three times faster on maximum speed, so that's nice.

I played for nearly 30 years... darn long lived rulers. A bunch of territory cored, so this TSC should be tough but survivable. I don't know if the previous ones would have been manageable, since we would have had less troops and more rebels... but that's neither here nor there.

I was actually hoping my ruler would die for the last 10 or so years... I'm really not sure where to take this game. We're in a comfortable spot, but not one with any obvious expansion routes. You'll see what I mean. It will take me a bit to do my write up, since so much happened, but here's the save file.

http://www.filesonic.com/file/4073410064/SG_Jalayirids1473_8_28.rar

I feel bad for not being able to do a solid narrative AAR like everyone else has been doing, but serious real life constraints are going to force me to do a gameplay overview styled one.

Position from the outset is solid, since we saved over the TSC. Previous players concentrated research on land tech and production it looks like. I think government is more important, so I hire a statesman with culture and switch all tech into government, something I'll continue for the next 30 years (unless funding stability or minting). I notice I'm at war with QQ. They have no troops, but the amount of rebels in there is pretty scary.

30399416.jpg

I start cleaning up the rebels, taking QQ territory, and spamming colonists.

18494495.jpg

I see that a LOT. 70% seems a bit optimistic, or I'm just really unlucky. Anyway, I eventually take 2 provinces (Azerbaijan and Ajam) and call it quits with QQ. Tims invaded right around the same time, but they're bottlenecked and mostly just fighting Persia, a situation I'm fine with. Then I notice this.

87488617.jpg

Crap. Thats a war I'm not sure I can win, and don't want to fight. I can only hope the Ottomans get a new heir soon. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard, with a harem and all...

They keep spamming me with alliance offers and I eventually accept. They go to war with Karaman, and I join in... then I get alliance leader. So we're officially stronger than the Ottomans :D. Karaman goes down quick and I vassalize them.

68253926.jpg

I fight with the Tims for a while after Persia peaces out. They're actually really dangerous still and inflict big casualties, but the AI doesn't seem overly committed to the invasion and we just dance around a bit. Vijayanagar somehow got Hormuz and is doing a good job keeping the Tims occupied... I won't complain.

53316936.jpg

I'm really not sure what I was thinking when I diplo-annexed Hedjaz. Its a decision that was questionable at best and downright wrong at worst. I guess I just saw that it was at maybe and went for it. The provinces aren't great and now that's four more areas to spawn rebels in TSCs. But whats done is done.

30899699.jpg

Thankfully we lose our claim on the Ottomans. I go to war with QQ again with a full load of colonists. This time I want Mazandaran and Gilan, two more extremely rich provinces.

88653929.jpg

I have no idea how this happened, but somehow it ends up taking more than two years for my settlers to travel. It only happened with this one guy, the rest took the normal 20ish days.

91628773.jpg

I fight with the Tims more, preventing them from breaking the seige in Kerman. I really want Vijayanagar to finish colonizing that province so I lose my border with the Tims.

36151610.jpg

In its infinite wisdom, France declares war on me. Unsurprisingly, I never see a single regiment given our positions. They eventually WP with me a few years later.

010xzq.jpg

First crop of cores come in. Force limits increase and I build up to them.

The Timurids have been outright spamming me with insane numbers of spies pretty much since day one, but at this point its starting to get frustrating and tedius. I've got 30 regiments, all devoted to rebel duty, and I'm still having provinces fall left and right. A lot of the problem is that my troops seem to be at a severe disadvantage.

011ute.jpg

Generals partially solve the problem, but my generals have the lifespan of mayflies and gold is in short supply, considering the large numbers of troops at max maintenence, the colonies and the missionaries. Inflation is getting increasingly worse and I need to mint significant amounts just to break even each year.

012wu.jpg

For more than 20 years, I've had the same stupid mission, and the province finally converts for a measly 2 prestige. I cancel another convert mission to get... create a proper fleet. No thanks.

013jzv.jpg

Hunting accident. The 40s something heir dies, replaced by a 27 year old 3/6/6. I'm actually glad, otherwise Kommando's turn would probably be pretty short since his ruler would start in his 50s.

Ottomans go to war with Mamluks. I'm sorely tempted to join in but its been 28 years now and a TSC is coming at any minute. After serious thought, I regretfully decline.

Instead, I go to war with QQ again and take one more province.

014xvr.jpg

Like I alluded to above, the game is in a weird place and I'm glad to be handing it off. Inflation is still climbing, and the rebel situation hasn't improved much even without the TSC. I've taken all the easy valuable provinces in the Persian region, except for Hormuz. To the north is just mostly garbage territory and war with the Golden Horde, to the east is renewed war with the Timurids, and to the west is the Mamluks. No easy answers.

Good luck to you Kommando.

30341339.jpg

Last edited:
I fear we are a bit like the Mamluks normally are: big territory and big armies; but the fundamentals are so shaky. (bad economy, low quality armies...)

BUT: We will overcome! One day the Jalayrid flag will fly over such cities as Alexandria, Constantinople, Kabul and Karachi. Mark my words!

:) Good update damienreave! Nice to see you bought a new computer for this important project :p

I have no idea how this happened, but somehow it ends up taking more than two years for my settlers to travel. It only happened with this one guy, the rest took the normal 20ish days.

I guess he just tried out the western route, lol.

Aight, looking forward to take my turn, hope the rebels turn out to be as manageable as they look like, but that's probably the advantage of low tax provs... the rebel stacks are tiny. Guess I'll have an exciting session with focusing on the economy and consolidation. They will write about it in the history books for milenia to come.

Great turn! Hey, annexing Mecca is never the wrong decision. ;) Besides, the Hedjaz area doesn't make such a big difference as the rebel spawns are small.

Re: the two year colonist, there was most likely a rebel/enemy army blocking the colonist's path (probably in the adjacent province that we own as there appears to be only one such province). Colonists can't travel through a province with an enemy, so they then tend to take some weird sea route. It's the time when the colonist is sent that matters here, so killing the enemy afterwards doesn't make the travel quicker.

I love this AAR however i must suggest the releasing of some vassals as I am pretty sure without cores you will gain more money from the Vassal than from controlling the provinces directly.This will also speed up your tech and while your forcelimits will be slightly smaller(I doubt Hedjaz gives much Forcelimits)you still get half of your Vassals forcelimits aswell as their army helping you so it evens out.Not to mention the smaller TSC.I suggest you annex vassals later in the game when Production gives more money and you have cores on all other Provinces(or most of them anyway)

Depends on the core situation really. If we're going to be somewhat stuck where we are (i.e. no easy ways to expand) then it's a good thing to have some core timers running if we can't get more. As Damien had a 30 year reign, any provinces we had when he started should be close to becoming cores so it makes little sense to get rid of them now.

I do agree though that not owning everything directly is good for now. I'd be wary of any more diploannexations in the short term, but of course that's up to the current player.

I actually suggested that we release Najd further back in the thread, but by the time it was my turn, it was only 10 years to core, so it made little sense at that point. With the exception of the already mentioned questionable diploannex of Hejaz, though, there's no vassals we can really release that will help any.

Armenia is already a vassal of the Golden Horde, and Persia is allied with the Mamluks. That means of our immediate neighbors, we can fight either a) Mamluk/Persia, b) Armenia/GH, c) Vijayanagar, or d) QQ. QQ is all poor territory, Golden Horde is VERY strong, and we won't be able to get to most of Vijayanagar's territory without a significant naval build up. That basically leaves the Mamluks, but I wasn't feeling up for it with the TSC looming, so... that's a project for my successor :D

That basically leaves the Mamluks, but I wasn't feeling up for it with the TSC looming, so... that's a project for my successor :D

Ugh, will see what I can do. Unfortunately I wont be able to play until Monday it seems, sorry to interrupt the flow of this AAR. :( Also I'm personally very much against the release of vassals for gamey reasons. We are a mighty dynasty after all. Tremble before the... how do you spell us again?

Hmm ... getting Vijayanagar as a neighbour is pretty bad :D

I actually think Vijayanagar is a great neighbor! All we have to do is occupy their territory that borders us and we can get something nice out of the peace. Maybe territory, maybe money. They can't get to us anyway, and Vijayanagar always has rebel problems so they might even collapse.

I actually think Vijayanagar is a great neighbor! All we have to do is occupy their territory that borders us and we can get something nice out of the peace. Maybe territory, maybe money. They can't get to us anyway, and Vijayanagar always has rebel problems so they might even collapse.

I don't think we'll have a high enough war score to get much. Hormuz would be great, but I highly doubt it will be possible to get in the deal. I'd rather leave them be and let them continue to beat on the Timurids. Vijayanagar is no long term threat to us, considering their tech group, so the land will only get easier to take.

I don't think we'll have a high enough war score to get much. Hormuz would be great, but I highly doubt it will be possible to get in the deal. I'd rather leave them be and let them continue to beat on the Timurids. Vijayanagar is no long term threat to us, considering their tech group, so the land will only get easier to take.

You can demand (and get) much higher than the warscore from the AI, provided they are desperate enough. And often, the AI gets itself desperate enough by war taxing their nation into oblivion. It's an easier expansion route than west. edit: not that I think that going east is necessarily the best option, I just wouldn't rule it out simply because Vijayanagar is there.

Now there are two Jalayirid AARs! Yay!

Yay indeed! :) Certainly a nation that deserves more attention. And I'm sure the two AARs will be different enough. ;)

You can demand (and get) much higher than the warscore from the AI, provided they are desperate enough.

Warscore+10, basically. No more than that...

So... seems like my esteemed ruler won't die either... I just withstood the temptation to tell you guys everything that happened up until now but let's just state that the results of this war will provide one of my successors with an interesting opportunity.

Yeah, it's always better to read the events in the actual update. ;) Sounds interesting though, especially since my turn is after yours.

Oh and don't worry about taking your time if the ruler refuses to die, I won't be able to play today or tomorrow anyway.