• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hopefully they will. I have played 11 years of my turn already, finishing up the war with Austria I will post the result along with my first years after Taylor posts his. :)

Okay, I have stumbled upon a rather unique situation and need advice on what I should do next.

eu355.png

As you can see a province in southeastern asia has defected to us, keep or sell?

Hey, you're the boss, you decide. If you find managing it and maybe doing something interesting in the region realistic, then by all means keep it. If not, don't - all up to you. ;)

Is it an Arabic-cultured province? I seem to remember in an earlier update, Java was colonized, but then lost somehow (that's why Iraq is in Java). Btw is that Aquileia on the rest of the island?

I would keep the province; it gives for some potentially interesting colonial developments. But you're the ruler, it's entirely up to you!

PS, I finished the text of my update. Tonight I'll crop the screenshots and post the result(s).

PS, I finished the text of my update. Tonight I'll crop the screenshots and post the result(s).

Great to hear, I'm looking forward to it! :)

Is it an Arabic-cultured province? I seem to remember in an earlier update, Java was colonized, but then lost somehow (that's why Iraq is in Java). Btw is that Aquileia on the rest of the island?

I am unsure of the culture, it probably is Arabic as Iraq has a core on it, and yes, thats Aquileia.

Ahmad II Jalayirid (1689-1703) - part 1.

On the 16th of February 1689, the nine-year-old Ahmad II was crowned king while his uncle Walad assumed regency.
EU3_1.png

The weakness of Ahmad's claim to the throne, as well as the general war exhaustion from the war in India, sparked some unrest (most notably in Ajam), but these revolts never posed a serious threat to his position. Walad's first move was to direct investments to making his government more effective.
EU3_2.png

Furthermore, he renewed the government's efforts of imposing Sunni Islam on its subjects. An inquisition was instituted, not only in newly conquered Indian territory, but also in Dagestan (a Christian region) and Najran (the last Shiite region in Arabia).
EU3_4.png
EU3_5.png

EU3_6.png
EU3_7.png
EU3_8.png

He also directed successful colonization efforts towards the regions south of Egypt and carried out the belated military modernization that Ahmad I had been unable to institute before his death.
EU3_9.png

The wars the Jalayirid Empire found itself in (one with Great Britain and one with the Timurid horde) were largely ignored.

In June, in line with his government reforms, Walad instituted a Cabinet of ministers to advice the king and his regent.
EU3_10.png

EU3_11.png

With the peace treaty with Crete (signed in October), peace with Great Britain seemed one step closer, and the region seemed to be calming down.

EU3_14.png

Nothing could be further from the truth, however, as in December 1689, Austria declared war.
EU3_15.png

Last edited:
1669? I smell a typo. ;)

Solid work with the domestic matters.

Ahmad II Jalayirid (1689-1703) - part 2.

It is said that the tactic the Jalayirids followed in the subsequent war was ordered by the young Ahmad II himself (who, while being frail of body, showed great talent for strategy already at a young age). Whether this is true is impossible to find out now, but what is certain is that it played out extremely well for the Jalayirids.

While dramatically expanding their army size in the first few months of the war, the Jalayirids ruthlessly scorched the lands near the border with Austrian Analtolia, and then allowed the Austrians to enter these provinces, which they did en-masse.
EU3_17.png

In combination with the winter, this resulted in massive supply problems for the Austrians, which caused their large advance army (36,000 strong) to dwindle to easy-to-handle proportions. In the battle of Armenia, fought between the talented Qasim Sa'id and the mediocre Michael von Riedesel, the Austrians were heavily outnumbered and handily defeated.
EU3_20.png

The remnants of the army were then easily mopped up by Hasan Jahagir.
EU3_21.png

In August of 1690, the Jalayirids signed a peace treaty with Great Britain in which they made some concessions that amounted to nothing but a slight loss of prestige.
EU3_22.png

An unexpected added effect of this peace treaty was that now, the Venetians were free to come to their ally Austria's aid, thus declaring war on the nation that had been their war ally only days earlier.

The destruction of the Austrian advance army was only a prelude for what was to come, as many more Austrians were making their way to the East. These started arriving in Anatolia in the Fall of 1690.
EU3_23.png

EU3_25.png

The focus of the war now split up into two fronts: a Western one, concentrated in Southeast Anatolia and Northern Syria, and an Eastern one, which was fought in, and North of, the Caucasus.

In both regions, the Jalayirids tried to employ the same scorched-earth tactic as before and in the West, the Austrians made the same mistakes as before. They, along with Venice, eagerly poured troops into the province of Mus and started a siege, while Hasan Jahagir (Commander in the West) stood by and watched the Austrian numerical superiority slowly melt away.
EU3_27.png

In the East, Qasim Sa'id was less successful in employing this tactic, as, while he was retreating from Astrakhan, he was caught off-guard by an Austrian army traveling through Bohemia and forced to battle a much larger force than his own, because the delay caused by battling the forces from Bohemia allowed Qasim's pursuers from Dagestan to catch up and join the battle.
EU3_28.png

He made up for his mistake by winning a devastating victory over an enemy that outnumbered him by more than 2 to 1.
EU3_29.png

Meanwhile, in the West, Hasan Jahagir managed to defeat the now seriously depleted Austro-Venetian forces in Mus in July 1691, and repeated this trick in September.
EU3_30.png

However, he was never able to fully capitalize on his advantage because of Austrian reinforcements and had to pull back when regrouped Austro-Venetians moved back into the province by the end of September.
EU3_33.png

In the East, the Austrians sent Franz Stefan von Hatzfeldt to the North to defeat Qasim Sa'id, who had just arrived back in Astrakhan after destroying the remnants of his earlier opponents in Bersh.
EU3_32.png

Qasim easily tore von Hatzfeldt's army to shreds and destroyed him in Dagestan in January 1692. Von Hatzfeldt did not live to tell the tale.
EU3_34.png

This proved to be the turning point in the East: from now on, the Austrians were outnumbered; this situation was augmented some more when two more armies were destroyed by Qasim and by Mahmud Jahagir, Hasan's younger brother, in the summer of 1692.
EU3_37.png

EU3_39.png

Meanwhile, by the Summer of 1692, the Austrians had moved into Northern Syria but had foolishly split up their army between the provinces of Aleppo and Hammah. Hasan Jahagir responded by combining his forces with those that had arrived from Egypt and then utterly destroyed both armies in two extremely one-sided battles (on July 3rd and August 21st, respectively).
EU3_38.png

EU3_40.png

He then moved North into Mus, and from there started the long process of occupying Austrian Anatolia.
EU3_41.png

In the East, things moved a bit slower: it took till the Fall of next year to destroy the last Austrian armies.
EU3_43.png

EU3_44.png

Last edited:
@Malurous - well spotted! Corrected it now :)

Unsurprisingly, the Austrian AI is making the same mistakes over and over again: hanging around in scorched provinces with huge stacks, but then dividing them at the wrong time and therefore leaving them vulnerable. Let's see if you're left alone by others long enough to actually make them pay, unlike in the war I fought. :) Should be a better chance of that now without the Vij border.

Ahmad II Jalayirid (1689-1703) - part 3.

By February 1694, almost the entire Austrian part of Anatolia was occupied, but by now, the Austrians and Venetians had also managed to scrape together even more forces. The Jalayirids, still wary of facing the Austrians in open battle without any terrain- or numerical advantage, pulled back and allowed the Austrians to start re-capturing their provinces.
EU3_45.png

It was around this time that Ahmad II came of age and Walad's regency ended.
EU3_46.png

During his regency, Walad worked tirelessly to improve the government institutions. He also did away with some archaic laws, thereby improving the freedom of his subjects.
EU3_19.png

It was during this time also, that the Castillian holding Aden defected to the Jalayirids.
EU3_26.png

The Castillians, luckily, did not decide to press the issue and instead accepted their loss. Herat was converted in the beginning of 1692, while the assimilation of the population in the province of Hormuz was completed in May of that year.
EU3_35.png

EU3_36.png

All in all, Walad's regency was a successful one development-wise, but, understandably, these achievements were overshadowed by the immense military victories during this time.

The administrative skills of Ahmad II payed off immediately, because 1694 was by all standards an excellent year in terms of government policies.
EU3_47.png

Militarily, the same waiting game as before was played during the beginning of the year, until in August, the Jalayirids found the opportunity to attack, and sent the newly recruited Jafar Mahmud into battle. He won a crushing victory over the Austro-Venetians in Angora (in August),
EU3_48.png

then won another battle in Sivas (in October).
EU3_49.png

The rest of the year and the beginning of the next was spent in careful maneuvering, until in May 1695, Jafar forced another battle in Angora, where he won an even more crushing victory than the first one.
EU3_50.png

This sealed the fate of Austrian Anatolia.
EU3_51.png

This time around, not only the Austrian part was occupied, but also the Venetian. It soon dawned on the Jalayirids, however, that they could not take the war effort into Europe because the Venetians and Austrians had an advantage at sea and could block the Bosporus anytime they wanted. A large-scale expansion of the Mediterranean fleet was immediately started, but would not be completed until after the end of the war.
EU3_53.png

By June 1696, the Jalayirid Empire was starting to destabilize, and it was clear that an end to the war was desirable.
EU3_54.png

Because the Jalayirids were unable to cross to Europe, they were unable to enforce as harsh peace terms as they wanted to on the Austrians, but in the end, considerable land gains were made. All of Georgia, and the Austrian part of Eastern Anatolia were ceded to the Jalayirid Empire.
EU3_55.png

The situation in the Jalayirid Empire started to improve immediately after the peace. Stability was regained, the Indian subjects were converting to Islam, and the colonies South of Egypt were growing.
EU3_57.png

EU3_59.png

Stock Exchanges were built in Iraq-i-Arab and Alexandria and countless other building projects were started all over the Empire.
EU3_60.png

EU3_61.png

The adviser Khalil Zaman also helped the situation by increasing stability and land investments.
EU3_62.png

The only bad news during this time came from outside the Jalayirid Empire: the Austrian king Johann Leopold III had been elected Holy Roman Emperor, something the Jalayirids hoped would not happen now that they had suffered such a humiliating loss.
EU3_58.png

Ah, extremely good gains off the Austrians. Happy to see them properly punished for their transgressions at last.

Aden was a nice break, having Castille there wasn't good.

Ah, extremely good gains off the Austrians. Happy to see them properly punished for their transgressions at last.

Aden was a nice break, having Castille there wasn't good.

Yeah! Did you incite rebels there? If so, good move!

Yeah! Did you incite rebels there? If so, good move!

It did cross my mind when Castille removed their doomstack from the province, but I believe it was Ulm of all nations that beat me to it. I guess the patriots defected to us because there aren't that many other Arabic nations around.

Ahmad II Jalayirid (1689-1703) - small, final part.

The Jalayirids were completely prepared when the Austrians declared war again in November 1701.
EU3_63.png

What they weren't prepared for was the fact that Austria managed to convince Bohemia to join in.
EU3_64.png

Still, the opening phase of the war gave reason to hope they could pull off a victory now, too. Like was the plan, the strengthened Mediterranean navy was able to block the Bosporus, and thus force the Austrians to march through Bohemian Ukraine.
EU3_65.png

The Austro-Venetian holdings in Anatolia were overrun quite quickly, which prompted the Austrians descending from Bohemia to try to march through Jalayirid Georgia towards these occupied provinces. Even though outnumbering him more than 3:1, they were stopped and defeated by the military genius of Atuf Hussain in the mountainous Imereti province (June 1702).
EU3_66.png

The remnants of this Austrian army, originally numbering some 65,000 men, were subsequently defeated in Erserum and then destroyed in Mus.
EU3_67.png

EU3_68.png

More Austrian, and this time also Bohemian, armies tried their luck against Atuf Hussain in Imereti in October but were utterly crushed.
EU3_69.png

Atuf now decided to go on the offensive in Alania, advancing North from Kartli. The outcome of this campaign is, however, no longer within the reign of Ahmad II. Never the healthiest of people, he fell sick while commanding his army in Anatolia, and died soon after (January 1703).
EU3_70.png

Clearly, Ahmad II's short reign was completely dominated by the Austrian wars, but he also showed his administrative skills by his ability to quickly recover the country after the first war and by his many economic improvements in-between, but also during, the wars. Furthermore, Ahmad II proved himself a loyal patron of the arts, and many excellent works remain from this time period.
EU3_52.png

Ahmad II was succeeded by his cousin Rashid who was, like Ahmad when his reign started, 9 years or age. Allegedly, Ahmad II last words were "to Vienna."
EU3_71.png

Some statistics:
Income: 451.6 (up from 375.3)
Army: 145 (up from 93)
Navy: 76 (up from 41)
Tech: 33/32/26/27/34 (up from 29/30/25/25/34)
Stab: +2 (down from +3)
No. of provinces: what's an efficient way to find this number?

Last edited:
Regency Council Logs, 1703 to 1708 (Part 1/6)

eu31m.png

Our brave leader left us in January during the war with the Austrian infidels who had the nerve to attack us, so it is up to us the Regency Council to take them down, and punish them for what they have done. The former Sultan told us to reach Vienna, we will do our best to fulfill his last wish. The current situation is good, the proposed plan of action now is to get Bohemia out of the war, then invade the remaining of Austria and Venice, and eventually kick them out of Turkey for good, that is however if everything turns out as planned, as we are outnumbered. Yet, our forces are superior to theirs so if we play it smart we should be victorious.

eu33a.png
eu35t.png

Even as we are in war, our scientists keep improving our country, today they found a way to make our merchants more effective and also improved our production as well.

eu36h.png

Our spies report that we are outnumbered, nearly 2:1 most of the troops being Bohemian, our course of action seem to be the right one.

eu312.png

During a cleanup in some of the old storages where we store our old documents, one of the cleaners found evidence of claims on some provinces.

eu318.png

In 1705 our invaders have realised that their efforts are futile, still, we will not let them get away with this, we will push on.

eu320.png

Current progress of war, our troops have attacked Thrace but is forced to retreat due to a rebel problem at home, Bohemia has been struck back and we have started to occupy their provinces.
eu322g.png

Apperantly a member of the council did something terrible that made us a bit unstable, the case is being worked on as of now and should be easly resolved

eu325.png

eu326.png

In July 1707 we get a message from the French infidels where they declare war on us, they live far away though, and as such poses no imidiate threat we will see if this was just a means of giving their brothers in faith a morale boost. And with that we see that most of mainland Europe is at war with us as of now.

eu328.png

January 1708, all our blunders seem to have forgotten and we seem to be as stable as we could during this war.

collab1.jpg

collab2.jpg

collab3s.jpg

collab4.jpg

We have also composed a list of the battles up to this point.

eu329.png

This entry to the Regency Councils logs ends here as our new Sultan, Rashid I Jalayirid comes of age and takes the throne in February. All hail the new Sultan.

Last edited:
Excellent work! Nice collage of the AI being utterly crushed and crushed and crushed again :D. I guess Atuf Hussain died?