• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alright, I finished. I had a seriously sucky reign, typified by running around chasing rebels and fighting wars I either could not win or in which there was nothing to gain. As a result, I did not expand much and we fell further behind in tech. Had two succession crises (turns out you get one extra when your ruler comes of age). RR is at a standard high due to tribal govt, incapable ruler, policy restriction and expanded bureaucracy. The government needs to be reformed quickly but my ruler could not do it. His heir could, but guess what? He died. The current heir sucks.

I considered reloading and doing it all over again, but decided that's against the spirit of the game. I don't consider myself a bad player but this time around nothing seemed to work out the way I wanted. Hopefully the next player with fresh courage can make something out of it.

Download here, year is 1552. AAR follows tomorrow or so.

Hrmm. Certainly not all bad. If we take Dagistan, that gives us a border with Venice. If the heir lasts until 1561 to make that last slider move, we can start Westernization. Westernization is more important than reforming the government, in terms of long term strategy. And once we've got Western units, overrunning India and the Mamluks will be all too easy. But keeping the country together with negative stability, on top of all the other stacking penalties, will be a singularly unenviable task.

Sorry, Taylor, for leaving you with the regency in the first place. :( But don't feel bad about not doing much, if you're anything like me you're going to be a bit more conservative than usual in a game like this and with the Jalayirids, you don't get anything for free.

If you hit 30 provinces, can you switch to empire?

No, it has government restrictions. You have to have either Feudal or Despotic Monarchy IIRC.

If you hit 30 provinces, can you switch to empire?

Switch to Persia! Gives you Theocracy! I got out of Tribalism in 1556 in a quick test game, but it's up to you guys, if you consider releasing vassals for culture shifting to be gamey, then I understand that. :)

Sorry, Taylor, for leaving you with the regency in the first place. :( But don't feel bad about not doing much, if you're anything like me you're going to be a bit more conservative than usual in a game like this and with the Jalayirids, you don't get anything for free.

Yeh, I agree. Rather play it conservatively, rather than have the nation fall apart. And after all we're supposed to last until the 19th century, so good to have a little stagnation inbetween.

Last edited:
Well, actually I wasn't that conservative. But it turns out this nation is very bad at keeping up a difficult war and that has everything to do with the tribal government (most of all the humongous policy restriction RR). The nation almost fell apart twice. But it's still together... *pfew*

Nice game. I tried once this country in IN and converted to shiite at the first rebellion of shiite zealots. The only shiite country around after swallowing Oman. That was a very interesting game although I had a lot of problem with monay (there's a special -X % in tax income due to being shiite... Why?)

Well, actually I wasn't that conservative. But it turns out this nation is very bad at keeping up a difficult war and that has everything to do with the tribal government (most of all the humongous policy restriction RR). The nation almost fell apart twice. But it's still together... *pfew*

In that case... well done! :)

In that case... well done! :)

Hmyeah, except that that difficult war was declared by me... resulting in no gains and utter (rebel-induced) confusion for the next decade or so.

We have seen tons of success AARs, but a long war which made your nation almost fell apart twice is great material for an update :) I hope the actuall post will be at least half as exciting as you make it sound...

In that case... Kamikazejihad and well done! :) Nothing beats a good beating.

I was actually winning the war, but had to give up because of trouble at home.

We have seen tons of success AARs, but a long war which made your nation almost fell apart twice is great material for an update :) I hope the actuall post will be at least half as exciting as you make it sound...

Haha! i do hope the update will be more fun to read than it was to play. My god, all those rebels. I dreamed about them last night :wacko:

Hey, this week (the one starting on the 11th, that is) is Finals Week on campus. So if I get a turn that starts anytime before Friday~Saturday, skip me and go onto the next person. I'll be entirely able to do anything after then. Y'all can decide how you want to handle that, but I just wanted to give a heads up

Last edited:
Hey, this week (the one starting on the 11th, that is) is Finals Week on campus. So if I get a turn that starts anytime before Friday~Saturday, skip me and go onto the next person. I'll be entirely able to do anything after then. Y'all can decide how you want to handle that, but I just wanted to give a heads up

In that case, I'm up next! So quick.

I might wait for a while to let people catch up with the AARs. Or not.

Nice game. I tried once this country in IN and converted to shiite at the first rebellion of shiite zealots. The only shiite country around after swallowing Oman. That was a very interesting game although I had a lot of problem with monay (there's a special -X % in tax income due to being shiite... Why?)

Because shiites get a prettyhefty morale bonus.

The Reign of Malik Hasan III (1504-1518)

Assuming power wasn't an easy task for Hasan III. As he took the throne in February 1504, he met resistance from his rival in the south, Zaid Mirza, who felt it was in fact him that was the right man to rule the Jalayirids. Also, some of the more distant parts of the nation took the opportunity to fight for independence.

The Persians freedom fighters could be handled by the strong local forces, but both Mirza's forces and the Omani nationalists called for more attention. Troops in the northwest were dispatched to take care of Mirza, while the army stationed in Baghdad was the closest one to Oman and had to start the long march there.

Apart from the Omani nationalists in Muscat, all rebel forces were defeated before they could cause serious issues. Muscat, however, fell to rebel hands before the men coming from the capital could reach the province. It was later discovered that the garrison had surrendered only one day before the arrival of the troops, not knowing how close help was. This small victory led to stronger local support for the nationalists.

1.jpg

Hasan III wasn't happy with how easily Muscat had fallen, and decreed that all fortifications were to be strengthened, even at the risk of eating into the army's resources.

2.jpg

While the country still wasn't entirely stable, any actual rebel armies had been eliminated by late December. Mazandaran in particular had been reeled in, its remaining population fully accepting Jalayirid rule.

3.jpg

However, new trouble arose in September 1505 as Bakr Hussain laid claim to Hasan's throne. Fortunately, the army he gathered in Al Jawf was too small to really threaten the nation. Meanwhile, Jalayirid armies slaughtered Hindu Zealots in Hormuz and nationalists required attention in Persia and Hedjaz.

Later in the month, an outside enemy appeared as the Qara Koyunlu nomads crossed the border. In a curious move, the already relatively weak Qara Koyunlu army fled back to their territory when Jalayirid armies arrived, but then immediately returned to Azerbaijan. Their initial cowardice had allowed the Jalayirids to take good defensive positions in the hills, making the battle much easier than it had been expected to be. With the enemy army defeated, Jalayirid troops spread around Qara Koyunlu lands to occupy any settlements.

Possibly due to being reminded of Qara Koyunlu's savage ways, Gilan finally properly embraced Jalayirid rule at this time.

4.jpg

Hasan III finally had full control of the Jalayirids in November 1506 as the nation was now stable again. With his leadership accepted, he felt ready to pass some reforms to standardize the measurement systems used in the country. This helped taxation and business while also resolving many arguments between trading partners.

Qarabagh fell in December, making Qara Koyunlu desperate for peace. The horde was forced to release their vassal Armenia and pay a small tribute to the Jalayirids.

5.jpg

If the Armenian administration was grateful for their liberation, that feeling wouldn't last. The province of Armenia was seen by many as rightful property of the Jalayirids, and with Qara Koyunlu out of the picture, Hasan III immediately sent a declaration of war.

The tiny Armenian army was quickly defeated, and a siege was started in January 1507. Meanwhile, skirmishes against the Timurids, as well as some rebels, took place.

Occupying the province didn't take long, and it was annexed in a July peace agreement.

6.jpg

With the war machine already running, such insignificant gains weren't enough for Hasan III. The Jalayirids' strong western neighbor, the Mamluks, were locked in a struggle with the Ottomans and the Malik believed that they wouldn't be able to survive a Jalayirid onslaught at this time. Apart from eleven thousand men that were left behind for rebel duty (and any improbable but possible Timurid activity), all forces were sent to the Mamluk border and war was declared in September.

Saruhan, Ethiopia and Aceh joined the enemy against Jalayirids and vassals. The Jalayirid side actually had the superior numbers in the beginning of the conflict, and the imminent Ottoman annexation of Saruhan only made the situation worse for the Mamluks.

7.jpg

Sixteen thousand Mamluk men were spotted trying to retake Damascus, but over twenty thousand were still unaccounted for. As the opening was there right now Hasan decided to act quickly, sending large assault armies to both Al Karak and Hawran. The former was taken in November and the latter in February 1508. After their successes, the Jalayirid troops headed back home to recover.

8.jpg

The men that had taken Al Karak earlier occupied Negev in March, while the Mamluks attempted a push into Jalayirid territory. Their pathetic one thousand man armies were effortlessly defeated in the first battles of the war.

9.jpg

An offer of peace was sent to the distant Aceh, and it was accepted in April. Much like the Jalayirids, Aceh saw no sense in having such a remote adversary.

At the same time, a small army from Jalayirid vassal Khiva began a siege of Jerusalem.

The war wasn't the only thing on Hasan III's mind. In July, he passed reforms that attempted to promote free speech and innovation, continuing the work of his predecessors.

10.jpg

Unfortunately, Hasan's wordings weren't very eloquent and he managed to insult many people of high standing in the process.

11.jpg

By September, the Mamluks were practically begging for peace. The Malik, however, wasn't happy with their offers and remained intent to push further.

A month later, Jalayirid troops arrived in Sinai, defeating the tiny Ethiopian force there and taking the province. Sinai would be the most contested area in the conflict, with the Mamluks sending a constant stream of very small armies to be butchered by the Jalayirids.

December 16th was a very happy day for Hasan, as his son and heir, Shah Walad, was born. With no sons earlier, the Malik had feared for the Jalayirid dynasty's future, but those worries were now gone.

12.jpg

The Mamluk army that had earlier tried to retake Damascus had been driven north by the Ottomans, and in March 1509 if finally surfaced in Armenia. Jalayirid troops were sent to intercept, leading to a more notable battle for the first time. The men were victorious, causing the Mamluks to flee to Sharizhor.

13.jpg

In April, an army was sent to Sidon, claiming that area for the Jalayirids. Hasan was now only waiting for Khiva to take control of Judea; then, peace could be signed.

The originally sixteen thousand man Mamluk army reached Baghdad in July. There the survivors were put to the sword.

During the next several months, only small skirmishes took place. Then in October, Judea fell and Hasan forced his terms on the Mamluks. The Jalayirids would take control of their rightfully owned Al Karak, as well as Hawran, Negev and Sinai. The lands were relatively poor, but as the rich Syrian lands were under Ottoman occupation and the Malik was reluctant to take land on the Mediterranean coast due to the security risk involved, they were the only way for him to strengthen his realm as well as weaken the Mamluks.

14.jpg

The next two years were silent, with some easily handled rebellions as the only events of note. Then in December 1511 Qara Koyulu attacked the Jalayirids again.

The war an even simpler affair than the previous Qara Koyunlu conflict. About one year later they were again forced to pay their small tribute.

The Ottoman-Mamluk war had taken a surprising turn after the Mamluks got the Jalayirids off their backs. The Ottomans had continued their domination for a while, occupying land to Cairo and beyond, but they went too far and all contact with their huge army was lost somewhere on the Blue Nile. As a result, the Mamluks were able to retake their land and eventually occupy and conquer Van. The Jalayirids and the Ottomans didn't have a border anymore.

15.jpg

In 1513 Malik Hasan III had had enough: in his nine years on the throne, he had found that keeping the nation under control was way too much of an ongoing struggle. In an attempt to instill peaceful values that would help keep his subjects more obedient, he created a new law that made going to some religious services mandatory.

16.jpg

The next two years were again quiet, with only small clashes with the Timurids taking place. Then in April 1515 the Jalayirids ended up in a war that truly came out of nowhere: the distant Ming declared war for no obvious reason.

17.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the war wasn't very eventful. However, Hasan wanted to make sure that he didn't look weak in Ming's eyes, so the Timurids were forced to admit the superiority of the Jalayirid nation in January 1516.

18.jpg

Ming was still silent, so Hasan concentrated on building infrastructure. In more notable news, Dhofar embraced the Sunni faith in August 1517.

19.jpg

In January 1518 Qara Koyunlu restarted hostilities again. As they had practically no army, getting sieges started in their territory was a simple matter. Then in February, Ming finally realized that their war wasn't making much sense and offered peace and a return to status quo.

The Qara Koyunlu conflict, however, was something that Malik Hasan III never had the chance to finish as he succumbed to an illness in May 1518. Once again, the nation was in turmoil, and it was up to the regency council ruling in place of the nine year old Shah Walad to regain control and support for the dynasty.

20.jpg

Statistics:
Hasan III's reign 1504-1518
Income: 55 -> 77
Army: 50 -> 53
Provinces: 37 -> 42
Techs: 10,7,6,7,8 -> 11,8,7,7,8
Inflation: 10.5 -> 9.7

Shah Walad Jalayirid (1518-1552) - part 1.

The death of Hasan III on the 25th of May 1518 signified the start of one of the most turbulent eras in Jalayirid history. Hasan's son, named Shah Walad, was only 9 years old when the old malik died, and thus not fit to rule yet. In the old days this might have meant that an older, more competent member of the family would have been named malik, someone who could have more effectively suppressed any dissenters. But, in line with the modernizations imposed by the previous maliks, the government had become significantly more concerned with legality than before, and as a result the three most powerful men in the government, the National Advisers Rusul Mohsin, 'Abd al-Karim Sa'id and Yasir Hussain, crowned the legal heir, Shah Walad, the new malik and assumed regency until he would come to age.
EU3_1

This plunged the country into complete chaos. The various nationalist factions, eager to use this opportune moment to make a bid for independence, rose up en-mass all over the country, most notably in former Mamluk territory to the West, in former Omani territory in the Arabian peninsula, and in Persia. But most importantly, Rusul Hussain, the husband of Shah Walad's older sister, decided that the country would be much better off when led by himself, and publicly declared so in the Persian city of Hormuz. Many locals agreed and Rusul's army grew explosively during the ending week of May and the first half of June.
EU3_5
In reaction to this, Shah Walad's cousin Shimun Sa'id lost faith in the government's capability to stay in power and decided to make a bid for the throne himself.
EU3_6

The army in the West had little trouble suppressing the revolting Arabs there, and after doing so started marching towards Baghdad.
EU3_2
Similarly, the army in Oman made short work of the Shiite uprising there and was soon shipped to Persia, where they defeated the Duranni nationalists of Makran in October.
EU3_3
EU3_12
In the meantime, the army in the North was finishing up subduing the Qara Koyunlu, who had declared war in January 1518. The Persian army in Fars moved against the nationalists in neighboring Laristan and was victorious there.
EU3_4

With the nationalists being defeated everywhere, it seemed only a matter of time before the pretenders would fare a similar fate. Indeed, Shimun Sa'id was quickly defeated by the army of the West, and when another relative, Husain Mohsin (pictured), rose up in Baghdad in April 1519, he was defeated as well.
EU3_13
The Qara Koyunlu were defeated by the capture of Murgan and now the Northern army was free to move against the dissenters too.
EU3_14
In June, Rusul Hussain's home base of Hormuz was recaptured by loyalist forces, and his army (which had moved to Fars in the meantime) was slowly being encircled.
EU3_15
The regency council was regaining confidence. This confidence, however was immediately shattered by a declaration of war from Rajputana.
EU3_16

Rajputana was interested in acquiring the region around the mouth of the Indus from Baluchistan, a Jalayirid vassal, and the Rajput figured this would be a good time to raise the issue. The Jalayirids could only spare one army, while Rajputana had the help of Vijayanagar, who immediately poured a gigantic army over the border.
EU3_19
The Jalayirids managed to score some hard-fought victories over their more numerous enemy in Dash-I-Lut and again in Gurgan, but had to pull back eventually.
EU3_21
EU3_22

EU3_27
Fearing the worst, the Jalayirids ruthlessly scorched the Eastern Persian provinces they left behind, hoping to deprive the Indian army of supplies.
EU3_28
This turned out to be unnecessary though, since Rajputana was indeed only interested in the Indus province, and soon agreed to a peace in exchange for this piece of land.
EU3_30