• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Real fun update Taylor! :) At least we're safe and with a cultural shift and a Baghdad conversion.

I've renamed the thread. Took a while - the forum was very unstable for me yesterday so I didn't see it until now.

If noone protests I'm gonna try to make the update more of a "historic" document kinda update, somthing like Taylors. I have about a year of data, and now I'm having "fun" with the Timurids, I guess you could say were playing tag..

Btw., I loved that opening. Help me - what does it actually parody?

I'm glad you liked it :). I don't know what it parodies, I just made it up. I'm sure however that I must have watched and read plenty of things that resemble the wording and "air," so to speak.

edit: just noticed a small grammar error in the very sentence you quoted (one "the" too many (2nd word in the sentence!)). Changed it now.

If noone protests I'm gonna try to make the update more of a "historic" document kinda update, somthing like Taylors. I have about a year of data, and now I'm having "fun" with the Timurids, I guess you could say were playing tag..

I don't think anyone's going to protest, everyone can do the kind of updates they want to. :)

I'm glad you liked it :). I don't know what it parodies, I just made it up. I'm sure however that I must have watched and read plenty of things that resemble the wording and "air," so to speak.

edit: just noticed a small grammar error in the very sentence you quoted (one "the" too many). Changed it now.

Just found it... it reminded me of the poem where a wanderer finds the withered remains of a statue with the inscription "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!". In comparison the understatement in the opening of the document ("I am Ahmad Jalayrid and I am the ruler of Baghdad and surrounding areas.") is hilarious. Of course I know that poem from my thorough classical education and not from Civ IV.

What's the difficulty setting for the game? I found that on hard or V hard, it was impossible to make peace with the Tims, they wouldn't agree to any terms ever, and just kept rolling over me with huge stacks. :p

If Taylor used my suggestions then it should be on 'hard'. Haven't had a look on the savegame yet. In other games (mostly as Yemen) the Timmies often accepted my proposals on 'hard' though.

If Taylor used my suggestions then it should be on 'hard'. Haven't had a look on the savegame yet. In other games (mostly as Yemen) the Timmies often accepted my proposals on 'hard' though.

I tried about 5 games with Jalayrids using a different strategy each time, never got peace on any terms even once. All I got was about 30k timmies in my face. :) I think alot has to do with what other nations do. If a couple other countries make peace early, they're less likely to make peace with you.

Don't even get me started on playing Nadj!

Tag is better than Hide and Seek I suppose... since it implies you're at least hitting them back :D

What's the difficulty setting for the game? I found that on hard or V hard, it was impossible to make peace with the Tims, they wouldn't agree to any terms ever, and just kept rolling over me with huge stacks. :p

Yeah it's on hard difficulty. I guess the Timmies got intimidated by the two Ottoman stacks in my (sorry, "our" :) ) territory or something.

Tims just hate me I guess! I did get them to peace out on my 6th try, used scorched Earth to soften them up a bit then killed a couple stacks. Still can't get them to make peace as Nadj however. Blew up very fast and took out Haasa and Hedjaz, was working on Yemen (going for Nadj acheivement) but no peace offer was accepted by Tims ever once they took Basra!

Tag is better than Hide and Seek I suppose... since it implies you're at least hitting them back :D

Well, I kinda have enough with just running from their doomstacks, positive part, it keeps them out of our territory. And at the same time it seems that they kinda breaks down, so if I manage to draw the war out we should be fine.

Last edited:
On the 28th of November 2011, yet another document was found on the building site in the outskirts of Baghdad. It was as the second document they had found, and this one was also written in medieval Arabic. Although the document was battered and some pieces seemed to be missing, the scientists studying it were able to find that the records of this document was from around 1405/1406, around the time they believed the old ruler of the Jalayrids had mysteriously vanished, and his heir, Shah Walad Jalayirid took the throne.

Our new Malik, Shah Walad Jalayirid has newly been appointed the new ruler of us, the Jalayirids. Although he knew he would become our next leader, I firmly believe he had no idea that it would be so soon. He seems devastated at the loss of his father, but at the same time he appears to know that the people of our nation need a firm hand to lead them. As such he hasn’t even once showed any weakness in front of them. He has also put all his effort into figuring out how to deal with the Timurids to our east. They are truly mighty, and to be honest, they are quite scary.

As our new ruler needed information about our rather humble nation, we became close friends, and I have taken the liberty to record his tales, his achievements, his battles, his glorious victories and terrible losses. I am one of his trusted advisors Yasir Sa'id and this is the tale of our ruler, Malik Shah Walad Jalayirid!

My master was troubled with the Timurid threat to the east and looked rather worried, he knew that the truce would end soon, he hoped that the Ottomans might be able to inflict serious blows to them before the truce expires in early March 1406. He also ordered the training of three new regiments in December in order to fight this threat. I believed we didn't have the necessary resources to pay such a grand expansion of our army. But he told me that they would come in handy "later". I have no idea what he is planning.

Although I'm a Master of Mint I became more or less an errand boy helping our gracious ruler with everyday diplomatics, managing the realm and such. The first thing he ordered me to do is to wed away some of our princes and princesses, four of them to be exact, to the nations of Oman, Yemen, Mamluks and Tripoli.

1royalmarriages.png

Just after two months we received bad news from the Timurids, they had beaten Ramazan and forces them to become their vassals, although they were small, they are now supporting the Timurid wars. A small blow towards any defense against them, but my master said that they "didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, as long as the Ottomans hold out, and maybe manage to destroy a couple of their armies we should be alright I think". I remember the former Malik, he also seemed to have this "gift", a gift that makes them stand above me and the others, a gift that will either lead us into glory or destruction, with the latter being the more likely option.

2firstvictimofthetimuri.png

In December 1405, the Algiers decided to go to war against Tunisia, they wanted us to join in, but Tunisia was allied with Yemen, Hedjaz and Oman. With the truce coming to an end with the Timurids we would be doomed if we honored the alliance, we had no choice but to tell them that due to our situation we can't aid them in this war, we are sorry, but you are on your own. We have enough trouble with the Timurids at the moment.

3algiersdeclarewar.png

With the truce nearing the end and no ducats to pay a general our glorious ruler saw no other option but to lead his forces himself on the battlefield. Although I do not like to admit it, he is a decent general, what we need however is a military mastermind if we are to survive a Timurid invasion.

4asgeneral.png

Then in early March 1406 we got a message that the Timurids was ready for war again, we did however, have some luck on our side as it seems our intel was mistaken, the Timurids appeared to be weakened and led to suspision that the nation had been trown out into civil war. Later an Ottoman messenger arrived explaining that they had killed of a large division of their army and that they should be kind of manageable right now, bless the Ottomans for their war efforts.

5thebeginningofthetimur.png

My master sent me a letter from the front lines reporting that after the initial entry into Timuridian territory they had found nothing, no troops, only a few rebels sitting in the near lying provinces, he also wrote that he had got his hand on some intelligence saying that the Timurids was in the process of training regiments in the provinces of Khuzestan and Hamadan, he wanted to kill those troops before they could even enter the battle field, he ordered the main army of 6000 men to Hamadan, while he had 2000 men sent to Kuzestan with a remaining 1000 troops ready to be sent to the front lines if necessary.

6rebelgroupsandfirstatt.png

The 2000 men sent to Khuzestan successfully managed to kill the one thousand Timurids, with very limited losses, less than a hundred. The same went for the battle in Hamadan, except no Jalayirid died in that battle.

7killinginkhuzestand.png

Just a few months after they had marched over the borders into Timurid territory I got another letter from my master, this time he wrote that his scouts reported a 15.000 man army in the neighbouring province of the main army and himself, they were killing of rebels in the province next to my master and his men. My master suspected that they would make a move against him and his sixthousand men if they got the chance. He was right, after killing the rebels they moved towards the province they were sieging, my master did however manage to slip into the province to the south, evading them for now.

8aspookysight.png

Just a few days after I got yet another depressing message, Rajaputana had given up the war effort and conceded defeat. One less front for the Timurids to focus on. Peace had to be made quickly, or we would have to hope rebels would bring them down.

9rajputana.png

Nearly half a year after the war had begun I got yet another message from my master, he wrote that after playing tag with that damned army for months they had finally shaken them off and the scouts reported that it was heading inland, they had also killed another thousand Timurids in a swift battle in Azerbaijan after fleeing there in order to "avoid" a major battle. After arriving in Hamadan and setting up the siege, yet another thousand man regiment was brought up by the Timurids, and soon killed.

My master’s messenger reached me in early January telling me to prepare the capital for a siege as the Iraqi rebels had successfully taken Sharizhor. This could both be seen as a blessing and a curse, if we were lucky, they would be able to break the province away from the Timurids grasp, on the not so good side the rebel troops were marching towards Jalayrid capital. I did however order the capital to prepare to be sieged, hopefully we can fend them off long enough for my master and his army to return home.

10goodandbadv.png

We received our first blow in March, exactly a year after the war started with a battle in Khuzestan, a Timurid army ambushed our 3000 man army attacking what apeared to be a defenseless regiment.

11loss.png

Luckily enough the Timurids decided to not chase after our fleeing army.

13fleeingarmy.png

I took a look at our current war calculations, it would seem we were "in the lead" however, that was thanks to us killing of smaller Timurid armies.

12currentwarstats.png

In late June our ruler returned from the battlefield, on paper he had been defeated, but he and his 9000 men had fought valiantly nonetheless and it seemed that the Timurids had decided that we were not worth the trouble. Our leader liberated the capital from the Iraqi rebels siege in late July and they fled back to Timurid territory.

14timmiesofferusapeace.png

Peace is once again upon us, I do however ponder what the Malik meant by those 3000 men would come in handy later?

This document describes the events under our new Malik, Shah Walad Jalayirid, during the second war against the Timurids. Witnessed and written down by his most trusted advisor, Yasir Sa'id.

Last note, anything I've forgotten?

Looking good, glad to see the Timurids have some rebel trouble. Too bad that their WE is getting back under control though...

Succession AAR's are the best, and with a great introduction by Taylor and a very interesting follow up by you Hawkiee, I feel that this will be a great tale and I'm happy to be part of it from the beginning.

I'm curious, what are the Black Sheeps doing?

Great update Hawkiee! Glad to see you've managed to peace out with the Timmies! Hopefully the Ottomans will keep them under pressure, so that they collapse at some point.

Looking good, glad to see the Timurids have some rebel trouble. Too bad that their WE is getting back under control though...

Yeah, although there has been plenty of rebels along my borders, and the Ottomans is slowly sieging provinces it seems as they now have occupied two of their provinces.

Succession AAR's are the best, and with a great introduction by Taylor and a very interesting follow up by you Hawkiee, I feel that this will be a great tale and I'm happy to be part of it from the beginning.

I'm curious, what are the Black Sheeps doing?

If you mean Qara Quonlyo or however you spell it they have been busily sieging Candar. Seems they have the upper hand.

Great update Hawkiee! Glad to see you've managed to peace out with the Timmies! Hopefully the Ottomans will keep them under pressure, so that they collapse at some point.

The Ottomans is keeping them under pressure, now I'm gonna try to build up some pressure before the next war, hopefully I will be able to grab a province if they break.

Later the same day that the document of the Jalayirids 2nd war against Timurids was discovered, they had found yet another document, and somehow, it seemed to be the “next in line” after the previous one, a good coincidence indeed, this would really make cataloguing them much easier.

This is the second document of Yasir Sa'id describing the reign of Malik Shah Walad Jalayirid. This document will describe what happened in the time after the 2nd Jalayirid war against the Timurids.

We left off after the war against the Timurids were my master respectfully had to withdraw to shield the nation from the might of the Timurids, it is worth noticing that the only thing that entered Jalayiridian territories during that war was a bunch of rebels. Unfortunate indeed, as they might have come in handy if they had remained in Timurid territory. Well, my master wasn't happy with our country's military might, as such he raised another three regiments, raising the total of the army up to 12.000 men. He also built our first galley, I'm starting to wonder if we're ever going to be able to pay the wages, and what would he need a galley for anyway?!

Apparently my master, as always, had an ulterior motive, and that motive was expansion, with a truce until June 1412 with the Timurids, he looked at the nations to the south for a sufficient target. The OPM Haasa was an obvious target, however, due to the fact that nearly half of the known world had sworn to keep them independent, they were safe. For now at least, Hedjaz was protected by The Mamluks sphere. In other words way to dangerous.

1targetmap.png

Najd however, is a different story, without any defenders that can actually reach us, we should be able to have a swift and decisive war. They shouldn't have too many forces, but they have a small navy. Oh, now I see why my master wanted that galley, brilliant, brilliant indeed.

2najd.png

My master the Malik decided that we were ready for war in early November and sent a declaration of war against Najd with the reason of Tribal Feud, simply put that our "tribe" is mightier than theirs, which should be true. Algiers, Karaman and Adal joined the war on Najds side. In order to effectively fight a military access agreement was reached with Haasa, the OPM that everyone around here loves.

3najdvsus.png

The main 6000 man army and my master went straight for the capital to the south while 4000 men marched trough Al Hasa in order to get to the four undefended Najd provinces, each regiment sieging one of them each. 2000 men were left at home to protect us.

4battle.png

Just two months into the war I received a letter from my master, it was a simple letter as he simply wrote to let me know that the war is basically over as the two remaining Najd armies have been destroyed, with the last one being hunted down. All that remained was the sieges and then we would take what we wanted, a brilliant tactical move indeed I thought, but I started to wonder since any province we take that's to the southeast of Haasa wouldn't be connected meant that they could if they wanted to screw us over. But, that's not likely, is it?

5hunteddown.png

On Friday the 13th April 1408 we got a happy message, the project of converting the citizens of Karbala had succeeded and they have been converted to the one and only true faith, for some reason I got a chill down my spine when I thought of the date, perhaps some weird coincidence? I don't feel lucky any longer. It is also worth mentioning that I got a formal messenger from Tripoli in my office today, wanting to peace themselves out of the war. I don't mind as they live far away, hopefully my master won't be mad at me for this.

6conversion.png

Apparently we are starting to get quite famous, our cities are growing and with that comes wealth, and serfs. Apparently they have been stirring up trouble again, unfortunately we can't do much about it. We did however focus on getting things back in order as fast as possible and everything was sorted out by November the same year.

7serfs.png

My master sent me another letter in January 1409, he wrote that he will probably be back soon as the sieges are starting to succeed, reports are saying that Quatar has fallen with some other coming close, it's simply a matter of time. By August 1409, only two of the six provinces were still under Najd control, the sieges were almost complete.

By the end of August all the sieges except for the capital were complete, as such it was appropriate to bargain a peace, the result was that Najd was reduced to a OPM, Jalayirids nearly doubled in size and our my master demanded a sweet 125 ducats to top that off. The alliance leader Algiers, our former ally was agreed with a White Peace the next day, damn our messengers are a fast bunch!

8finishingthewar.png

The remaining southern tribes are all somehow connected to The Mameluks, making an offensive against them a bad idea, for some reason the other nation are monitoring us closer than usual, most likely due to the fact that we just took 5 provinces from another country, or maybe it’s because I’ve begun to hear some murmur about our Malik being an incapable ruler or something like that, can't understand how they can possibly believe that.

9incapableruler.png

My master asked me for advice in the early 1411, he wants me to have a look at some of his reforms, see if they are possible to go through with, some of his plans are a bit grand, but I don't find any big problems with centralizing some power, the only thing that might become a problem is that some people might get upset. However, with our enlarged army we should be able to deal with them. As we expected some people rose up to rebel, they are quickly dealt with.

10slidermove.png

A man called 'Abbas Jahagir approached me today, he told me that he was an army reformer and that he'd love to take the open position by our great Maliks court. As his skills and references indeed were high class, I allowed him to meet with my master. It isn’t everyday a high level(6) army reformer suddenly appears in the city. My master hired him as soon as he heard of him, he had wanted to reform the army for a while now.

My master asked me when it was about a year left with our truce with the Timurids to give him a status report on how we would handle a possible war with them. The truth was that the Timurids were going down, they were attacked on all sides and slowly but surely they were being taken by rebels and other countries military forces, if this kept up the war could be a simple task in a years’ time. Oh, and for future reference I have used my amazing drawing skills to make a nice pink line that signifies our gains, inside the circle is four provinces, and south of the pink line is one, a total of five provinces.

11timurid.png

As soon as our truce expired the battered and nearly nonexistent Timurids appeared at our borders, wanting war as always, my master and his troops set course for the borders, this time we wanted to try and take a province from them. The target is the mission province of Sharizhor.

12timuridsgettingasswip.png

This marks the end of the period of peace between the Timurid 2nd and Timurid 3rd War. Witnessed and written by his trusted advisor Yasir Sa’id.

*Forgot to take SS but he gives a nice 18 invest a month in land tech.
As last time, anything I've forgotten, anything of interest you wanna know?

Last edited:
Nice! While the gained land is poor (especially now when production doesn't give much) we needed to expand big time for safety reasons, and that means going anywhere we can.

The Timurid army numbers are a bit ugly. :eek: Here's hoping the campaign for Sharizhor goes smoothly, adding a correct culture core is always real good for a country in our position.