• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
that is a really impressive list of revolt risks ... the stuff of champions :cool:

The lowest revolt risk was in Baghdad, with only 19.7% :confused:

Ouch - rebels all over, no manpower, no money, -2 stab... Good thing that the TSC appears to be a while off still. Getting it at that point would have probably been disastrous.

By the way, is anyone playing currently? I haven't seen a "got it" from damienreave and it's been a few days...

If you're not -almost- breaking your country every few years, you're not trying hard enough!

I've said it before - it's funny how we approach this game the *exact* opposite way yet still seem to be doing fine in it. :D

That said, I'm starting to be really happy that we chose Jalayirids. A very good nation/situation for a succession AAR by the looks of it.

@Edgewise and Malurous - I guess I'm kind of in the middle of you two. I sometimes break my country a little, but not too much and certainly not as bad as I did this turn (twice; although the first time I couldn't really help it). But I just couldn't let (1) those Indians (2) those smugglers and (3) that inflation get away with it :angry:.

I second Malurous's question: Is someone playing? I'm planning to finish my AAR tonight, or else tomorrow night.

For some reason my save file won't load, I played about 25-30 years. Would guess it's somehow damaged.. As my time is more or less up and it would suck to start all over from 1552, I'm wondering if the next in line or the one of the subs would take over from where Taylor ended it. And as I have my final test before Christmas on Friday, I don't have time to start all over myself. Sorry people :(

I think the problem is that Hawkiee never responded whether he had a functional autosave or not which left us all kind of hanging.

Did 5 Updates and ain't even finished yet

And you sir, you sure put a lot of effort into this! Great stuff!

Last edited:

I'm glad you like it. The thing is, I seem to be unable to make it shorter!

I think the problem is that Hawkiee never responded whether he had a functional autosave or not which left us all kind of hanging.

In order to keep this going, I think we have to assume he's not playing (as that's what that message you quoted sounds like) unless we hear from him very soon. He has been online so I'd imagine we would have heard from him if he had got it working.

You feel like PMing damienreave? Or even Hawkiee first if you find it necessary.

I'm glad you like it. The thing is, I seem to be unable to make it shorter!

There's been a lot going on, so that's only natural. :) The updates are very good.

Shah Walad Jalayirid (1518-1552) - part 6.

The armies that returned from India were already understrength, and now faced the task of subduing an enormous amount of revolts, while having no manpower ready to replenish any losses. They therefore resorted to the strategy earlier employed during Shah Walad's early years. Avoiding open combat with rebels, they instead simply followed them around, laying sieges to any fortresses that the rebel armies had occupied. Battles were only fought with the intention of preventing the number of rebel armies to rise, and were only engaged where the expected losses were minimal. While this was an excellent strategy for saving men, it was a very obvious signal that the Jalayirid state was unable to protect its cities and fortresses from being captured, and various factions tried use this to their advantage.
collage-scaled
Another disadvantage was that in some instances, it allowed nationalists and patriots time to organize themselves; in one instance this led to the nation of Armenia declaring full independence.

The Armenians, in contrast to many other subjugated people in the Jalayirid nation, had revolted only quite late in the period of instability; only in March 1539 do we find the first mention of Armenian rebel activity.
EU3_142
The revolt quickly escalated, with more Armenians joining the rebel cause, their army swelling to around 15000 men.
EU3_143
It is a testament to Jalayirid weakness during this period that the loyalists had great trouble matching these numbers. For somewhat less than three years the rebels were allowed to do as they pleased. Only in early 1543, when the crisis was nearing its end, did the Jalayirids scrape together the forces necessary to deal with the rebels effectively; by March, they were in the process of retaking the various fortresses in the province. This went so slowly, however, that the parts of Armenia still under rebel control managed to organize themselves into an independent state.
EU3_158
The state existed between November 1543 and September 1544, and gained international recognition from such diverse nations as Mali, Austria, Algiers and Saruhan. However, none complained when the Jalayirids annexed the nation back into their country.
EU3_162
EU3_163

Apart from Armenia, especially Persia was hard to control for the Jalayirids: there, the rebels were the most numerous and the most persistent.
EU3_144
They never managed to gain significant organization, however, since the area they attempted to control was much larger and more vulnerable, and much more important, than Armenia. Sometimes, the rebels actually seemed to seek battle with the loyalists and in one famous instance managed to destroy an entire army in Makran.
EU3_139

All in all the crisis lasted for about nine years (1535-1544). During this time, several other events are of note, such as the establishing of diplomatic relations with the Sunni nation of Byzantium;
EU3_138
the short war (together with the Ottomans) against Serbia (ending in a white peace);
EU3_140
the death of the beloved natural scientist 'Abd al-Karim Sa'id (who made important contributions to the field of probability theory with his treatise “On the Probability of Revolts in the Various Provinces of the Jalayirid Nation”);
EU3_142-2
the raise to command of the mediocre general Isma'il Uways after both Yasir and Yusuf died early in during the crisis; the international recognition of various claims Shah Walad made on neighboring provinces of Georgia;
EU3_146
EU3_155
the war against Ryukyu together with the Ottoman allies;
EU3_156
and finally, and most importantly, the tragic death of Shah Walad's only son, the talented Qasim. The official cause of death was an “illness in the stomach,” but many historians have suggested that he was in fact murdered – Qasim made it no secret that he planned to extensively reform the government when he came to power.
EU3_159
EU3_160
Qasim's son Hasan (Shah Walad's grandson) was next in line of succession.
EU3_161

Last edited:
"Rumours have reached about riches beyond the rebel alliance borders"

LOL, it seems that the jalayridis are jedi masters.

Shah Walad Jalayirid (1518-1552) - part 7 (finale).

In December 1544, war broke out with the troublesome Qara Koyunlu once more. Combat operations lasted only as long as it took the Jalayirids to march an army over there, and by April 1545, all Qara Koyunlu territory was under Jalayirid control.
EU3_166
EU3_167
Colonists were then sent over to the province of Shirvan. The land and the locals turned out to be quite resilient, and the Jalayirids were able to incorporate the province only in June 1547.
EU3_171

The war came at an opportune moment, because the Mamluks attacked the Ottomans around the same time. Since the Jalayirids were already at war (with the Qara Koyunlu), the Ottomans were reluctant to ask for help – lest the Jalayirids refuse.
EU3_180
It was only after the Mamluks had soundly beaten the Ottomans (again; but this time they took no land) that the Jalayirids made peace with the Qara Koyunlu; conveniently, shortly after the province of Shirvan was successfully integrated into the Jalayirid nation.
EU3_181
Other notable events during this time period are the international recognition of the Jalayirid claims on Marv, Herat and Sana'a;
EU3_170
EU3_173
EU3_179
some improvements in military technology;
EU3_172
and even more monetary reforms cooked up by Shah Walad.
EU3_176
In 1546, Rajputana inherited Gondwana, leaving only three powers on the subcontinent.
EU3_175

After the war with the Qara Koyunlu, Shah Walad, now growing old and wishing to leave his successor in a strong position, focused on improving the nation's economy and infrastructure. He also gave the nation more land focus, which improved the army's morale and lowered its cost.
EU3_184

Meanwhile, the Hapsburgs made some moves that indicated a potential interest in the region. First they fought the Ottomans in 1548 (in which the Ottomans fortunately did not ask the Jalayirids to participate);
EU3_182
then the Georgians a year later.
EU3_188
Luckily though, the Austrians did not take any land in this conflict.

The final two years of Shah Walad's reign were quiet. The army was expanded slightly, and the navy partially rebuilt (it had been destroyed by a Vijayanagara armada some 20 years earlier) and then used to quell pirate activity in the Red Sea.
EU3_190
Shah Walad's last significant reform was to give the peasantry more freedom, perfectly illustrating his open-mindedness and philanthropy.
EU3_189

When he died (1st of July 1552), he was widely regarded by his contemporaries as a weakling who had brought the nation nothing but trouble. The modern consensus, however, is milder: he is viewed as a modern-minded monarch who wanted nothing but to improve the strength, stability and economy of his nation; but who was simply in a very backward time and place, riddled with antiquated traditions and institutions – a fact he was neither able to adapt to, nor able to significantly change.
EU3_192

-

Statistics
Shah Walad Jalayirid (1518-1552)
Income: 77 -> 92
Army: 53 -> 67
Provinces: 42 -> 48
Techs: 11,8,7,7,8 -> 14,9,7,8,10
Inflation: 9.7 -> 9.5

Despite all the troubles the Jalyarid empire is still expanding! Will be interesting to see the next king and how he handles the two TSCs with five years apart. Hopefully this time the army will be able to quickly quell the rebel insurrections

Sorry, no, I am currently using an old, barely playable computer, so saving took around 3-5 minutes, as such I really didn't have the patience to keep up an autosave, the last record between the saves is 9,5 years. So sorry, I'm not playing as I have tests coming up, as for my online status I have this tread and forums in general as tabs and have a.. uhm.. bad habit of clicking the link when I shouldn't meaning that I apear online even though I've just been here a sec or so, and sorry that I didn't notice your question untill now.

Shame about the heir, and the resulting regency too... But really good to see that you got the nation back on its feet before the TSC.

I also believe we're one land tech away from better troops. That should help some.

Oh and the natural scientist's treatise was brilliant. :D He certainly had plenty of material to work with.

Hawkiee: Okay. No problem, you're certainly not the only one with that "bad habit". ;)