• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry, I should clarify. The last update was from 1608 to 1620. This one is from 1620 to 1628.

Husain II Jalayirid
THE REFORMATION
Muscat, Liwa and Nirza also joined in open revolt, opening up the south of many more revolts that eventually made their way up to Basra.

However, even as the revolts were taking place, the benefits of his policies were taking effect. The Western agricultural techniques made their way into Mosul and enabled everyone there to live richer lives.

By the close of 1621, the entirety of the southern peninsula, the entire Kingdom of Oman was in rebel hands and open revolt. However, the tide was quickly turning against the rebels as Husain had just returned from Europe, where he watched their armies drill and fight. He applied those same techniques to his armies….

And by the close of 1623, the entire country was rebel-free. Despite more than sixteen more revolts taking place during the last two years and none of the revolts succeeding, Isma’il Hussain managed to convince a number of Egyptians that he should be the true King. In the battle of Alexandria, he was proved to be no different.

On April 15, 1625, Hussain II saw that the whole realm was at peace, and changed that by finally declaring war upon the Armenians. In protest, a pretender arose in Beirut, Persian nationalists in Hormuz and particularists in Diamientia, Egypt and Al Karak. Syria and Yemen also joined in on the side of the Armenians.

The Egyptian Army faced off against the pretender army of Hisham Hussain in Beirut.

The army of Iraq annihilated the Armenian army and began their siege.

But yet, of course, more revolts popped up in Persia.

On July 14, 1625 the cities of Armenia and Badiyat Ash Sham fell to the Jalayirids and Armenians, respectively.

Husain sent a messenger to the Armenian King to prepare the throne room for his arrival.

By 1626, the war was nearly completed. Yemen was granted rule over their lands for as long as it pleased Husain and Syria was to surrender her claims to any Jalayirid land.

On December 25, 1626, Husain gathered together the leaders of all of the tribal leaders who had stood against him. He asked them, “Who can stand against Allah and win?” They replied, “No one” “Who here has stood against my rule and succeeded?” None spoke. “Has anyone ever stood against my father and won? Or his father? Is my family then not ruling with the favor of Allah? Who then can stand against us? As Allah is lord of all, I am lord of this realm. You are like my angels, acting in my will and nothing else.”

The reaction of the further edges of the Kingdom were… less than enthusiastic

November 26, 1627

December 5, 1627

February 8, 1628

The world at war

Last edited:
Gratz on the modernization of your armies & government! With your new Western armies, the Indians (and Mamluks) should be handle-able. Austria though... are always somewhat more troublesome.

However, soon the Holy War CB will expire, and you should get SOME reprieve before the Imperialism CB pops up (depending on how fast the AI has been researching Gov't)...
Time to face stomp the opposition :p

Husain II
The Long War

Husain was in a very perilous position. All of India, as well as two advanced western nations, all of India, Egypt and a curious west African nation called Hausa. His crown had little authority, the nation was near lawless and threatened to tear apart and Husain was low on men and money. Because of his reforms and his support of peasants, some peasants thought that Husain would let them join the ranks of the tribal chiefs. Husain laughed at their notions, strengthening the aristocracy and thereby the nation.
The war in the east started off poorly, as the Vijayanagari armies captured the city of Gurgan after only ten days of sieging. The Persian Army under Anwar Jahigir met them in Dash-i-Lut, turned them back and routed them at Gurgan before taking it back again.
At Ajam, Anwar Jahigir routed another Vijayanagari army.
In Armenia, the Iraq and Peninsular armies under the command of Anwar Jahagir’s brother, Muhammad Jahagir, defeated the Austrian Friedrich Heinrich’s army in Armenia. (The Iraq and Peninsular armies will hereafter be referred to as the Anatolian Army, as they functioned as such from this point later.)
In the southern front, the Egyptian army advanced without yet encountering an Egyptian. And so it seemed in the Eastern front, until a Rajputani army came and captured Hormuz. The Persian army advanced without encountering another army, but by the time they retook the province, Sistan had been taken.
Soon the Anatolian front became typical of the battles in that area. Strategic victories, but tactical defeats. Of course, Muhammad Jahagir was going up against the Holy Roman Emperor himself, Karl II von Habsburg.
By early July, all of the Indian border provinces were either captured or occupied. The Persian army was more than a match for their armies 2:1, but it was only one army.
And then, Husain’s own father-law, Kamar Jalayirid of the Ottomans, declared war.
However, not even a week later, all of Egypt was occupied. Husain limited himself and captured only the city of Cairo, hoping to make his own borders easier to distinguish.
Despite winning the battle tactically, Muhammad Jahagir retreated from Karl von Habsburg’s army, as another army, was marching to Qarabagh, which would have left the Anatolian Army outnumbered 2:1.
The Anatolian army split to better recover losses. The Austrians, sensing an opportunity for a victory, sent Leopold Arenburg’s army to attack the yet untested Peninsular Army under Husain Sa’id (the son of Anwar Sa’id, the pretender). It was a devastating loss for the Austrians.
In the East, Anwar Jahagir routed the Rajputani King, Prithvi I Nizam in battle.
Husain Sa’id, sensing the opportunity to redeem his family name in the eyes of the nobility, advanced against Leopold Arenburg’s army outside Baghdad, and annihilated it.
Anwar Jahigir made merry slaughter of the Indians
At the end of Spring 1630, the wars were in a good place. The Indians were nearly expelled from Austria, the Peninsular Army was advancing against the Austrian army while the Iraq army was stationed in Kartli.
In the weirdest event of the war, the Jalayirids lost control of deeply inland province of Khurasan on May 8, 1630 to Lan Na.
In the battle of Makran, Anwar Jahagir killed over 13000 Indians under the command of Thai Tong I Ho, the King of Dai Viet while losing only less than 3000 men himself. All were captured, including the King, in Baluchistan. Anwar stayed put as another army walked into his hands to be annihilated.
None of his forefathers had ever seen the need to build up a navy, but after the Vijayanagari landing at Muscat, Husain started immediate funding for a navy to rival any interests in the area.
In Murgan, Muhammad Jahagir revenged himself against Karl von Habsburg by annihilating his army.
In the first territorial gain for the Jalayirids all war, the Iraq army captured Kartli from the Austrians. This was, of course, balanced by the Vijayanagaris capturing Nizwa. The war was looking up.

Wow, you're really tearing up those Indian armies! Great work! Also, with two Austrian armies destroyed, hopefully you will be able to advance against those buggers. Are the Ottomans doing anything?

Great work weathering the storm in the beginning and now beating up that strong Emperor! Cairo is a good gain and closing the Egyptian front should make the logistics a bit more manageable.

Kommando BTW, are you playing currently? I'm traveling in about a week and a half and won't have access to an EU III capable computer for a pretty long while, so I'd love to be able to play my turn before then as I could still update on the road. :)

Great work weathering the storm in the beginning and now beating up that strong Emperor! Cairo is a good gain and closing the Egyptian front should make the logistics a bit more manageable.

Kommando BTW, are you playing currently? I'm traveling in about a week and a half and won't have access to an EU III capable computer for a pretty long while, so I'd love to be able to play my turn before then as I could still update on the road. :)

Meh, I've got my master thesis defensio next week so I was hoping to stretch out Cade Shadows part a bit. (I know, I'm terrible :( )

Cade Shadow, any chance of re-uploading your save? I was going to swap turns with Kommando (good luck with the studies!) but the link for the save file doesn't appear to work...

A Change in the war

In 1638, Anwar Jahagir was discovered to be a continuing supporter for the one-time rebel Fahd Jahagir and was sidelined to the Peninsular army (which mostly had rebel-bashing duties) and replaced by Shimun Jahagir, (of no relation). He proved himself a superior general by destroying a 7000 man strong Vijayanagari army while losing only 12 of his own.

Soon, Austrian Anatolia was opened.

And India was beginning to open up as well.

Things were looking up, until the Milanese declared war on August 25, 1631. Joining the Milanese were the Syrians, who quickly occupied Beirut and Sidon and tried to make peace for them

Husain, seeing a possibility for further gains, offered to tell Austria that they had won. This seemed to satisfy them.

By October 14, 1632, the Syrian Hammah province had been taken. And by February of the next year, Sidon and Aleppo had been retaken and taken, respectively.

Castille, Milan’s Ally, made a landing in the Omanese territories. It was swiftly countered and repelled, however by Anwar Jahagir.

September 30, 1633 The province of Dayr Az Zor was captured, as well as both of the Castillian Anatolian territories.

Husain, remembering his promise to the Ottomans to keep order in the Levant even though he was still at war with the Ottomans, annexed the “restless Syrian provinces”.

Even though Husain had meant this to be fair; scholars have called this peace treaty the final step in the Ottoman decline. Most of the Ottoman Army had been destroyed in this short war, and the substantial loss in territory (over half of the Ottoman’s empire) had been released into small nations that could hardly defend themselves against the Austrians, Venetians, Castillians or Jalayiridians and whom the Ottomans had no hope of re-absorbing before the others captured them.

It had already been five years since his peace treaty with the Egyptians, and so he declared war on them. And so, through an alliance with Hausa, the Jalayirids were already at war with the Ottomans again.

Through the terrible risks of revolt that wracked his empire from the moment he rose to the throne, Husain decided to create a law, which limits the power of the nobility and aristocrats against the peasantry. This greatly limited abuse and general anger against the crown.

By this point, the members of the nobility who wanted Husain to rule Anatolia won out and the Ottomans were again crippled.

And immediately afterwards, the Milanese were offered a white peace, which they accepted.

“By solemn decree of Sultan Husain II, in this year 1637, we hereby proclaim throughout the Jalayirids empire that the Sultan had drafted a new school charter for Khuzestan!”

The scholars immediately suggested a peace deal that would satisfy both the nobility and the Sultan.

For the third time in Husain’s reign, Badiyat Ash Sham had an agricultural revolution.

In this war with the Vijayanagari (and them alone, as the Rajputani were engaged in a war elsewhere), the war went well. By 1640, all of upper Vijayanagar south of Marv had been taken. This was in part because of a new 20,000 man army that had been created for this war, so far only called the ‘1st Army’.
Soon all of Upper Vijayanagar had been captured, but the Vijayanagaris refused to surrender even one province, even though the people thought that it was a fair deal. Soon the government was overwhelmed with deals for only one province, and their populace grew restless.

But even after the people had lost all faith in their government, they still refused to negotiate. Luckily, Husain was working on a back-up plan with Rajputana. And India proper was invaded.

And so on September 18, 1643, Vijayanagar came to the bargaining table.

Here's a copy of the save file: http://www.mediafire.com/?03t40lztqd5ebxi

All images uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Wow, quite notable gains - good thing we're out of tribal now. :D

That save link works fine, got it!

I've been dragging this out much too long. Here's the rest of the reign (sans pictures, which were the time-consuming part)

And not eight days after the Vijayanagari reconquest war had ended did Milan declare war.
(Castille and Burgundy are allies. Venice and Rajputana declared war within the month, but I lack screenshots for that.)
Soon Castillian Anatolia, Castillian Tripoli (Sirt, Cyrenaica), the Venetian caucasian provinces of Dagestan and (Jalayirid core) Shirvan were taken. Soon the Rajputani were willing to make peace. Husain couldn’t risk taking territory, and so he only asked that they admit the Jalayirids had won.
However, peace was made with the Venetians to expel them from Asia, taking Alania, Astrakhan, Dagestan and Shirvan. And growing weary of a war with no possible gains, on either side, Milan and Jalayirids signed a white peace.
However, some grew suspicious of Husain’s infamy, his seeming love for conquest. And so Husain passed the dissolution act, to call together the tribal warlords and give them some semblance of power and through them claim that all warmongering was the will of the nation.
When Husain was 47, he looked west and saw the great stories of colonial adventures and so looked east to expand. Thus the natives of Java were exterminated and colonists were sent.
In 1655, Husain declared was on catholic Dulkadir. They were defended by the defender of the Catholic faith, Scandinavia, and Ak Konyunlu.
Dulkadir was invaded, occupied and annexed. Ak Konyunlu was invaded as well and was told to acknowledge the superior power of the Jalayirids above all other powers and to take steps to be incorporated in their realm. At this point, the Scandinavians saw no point in continuing to wage war and declared peace.

1660, Austria declares war and is joined by Aquileia, and Alsace.

In Alania, the Austrian General Friedrich Bethmann (with a 25,000 man army), defeated Najib Mahmud’s Anatolian army (22,000 strong). (9K to 12K in casualties)
The war progressed, throughout it, with hardly any changes in territory, and so only major battles will be listed. The battle of Sharizor was a meatgrinder, the Iraq Army under Najib Mahmud (who had been transferred from the Anatolian army lost over half of its 40,000 troops against the army of Ladislav von Habsburg, who lost more than 16,000 troops.
Aquileia landed in Java, annihilated the fleet guarding the island and routed the army guarding the provinces. All of the colonies were taken.
Hussain could not spare troops or fleets to retake the island and so they stayed that way. (To this day, they are Aquileian owned and Al-Iraqiya cultured). After a month of whittling away Alfred Zakizewsky’s army was eliminated at Mus.
July 19, 1663, 135 calvarymen fleeing from the destruction in Shirvan meet 35,000 men fresh from destroying 8,000 men in Dagestan and rout the entire army. Mahmud Jahagir was captured and not ransomed.
Husain declared peace the next day, promising to stop meddling in Adal’s affairs.
However, the next day, Adal’s advisors were replaced and re-shuffled by Hussain II.
And Austria declared war again five years later, without a casus belli, c’est la vie.
Once again, a 40,000 man army was destroyed, this time, however, it was whittled away. As last time, Husain made a deal to stop meddling and quickly turned on that. Indeed, he started meddling so much in Yemen that it was fully integrated into the Empire.
In 1675, Ahmad, the 52 year old heir, fell ill. Husain prayed to Allah for his life, and Allah granted his wish. (sorry whoever’s next). Apparently the bug was flying around the court because then (and I quote myself “FINALLY!”) Husain had passed, leaving behind an extended empire and no succession crisis.

And here is the empire that Husain passed onto his son, Ahmad

Long live the Khalifa!

Last edited:
Great work! Those Austrians really need to be taken down a notch.

Hey, maybe it'd be nice to put in a single screenshot at the end showing your empire?

Yeah, just one castillian province down there. I don't remember when they took it from Yemen, but they did. Else, the Jalayirid empire looks pretty...well, pretty.

Good work! We just need Anatolia and then we'll have surpassed the Achaemenids!

Just posting that I'm indeed playing. I'm currently moving however, so it'll be a couple of days before I can get anything up.