+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Complete EU3 Nations Flagpack (For certain values of "complete")

Spain and the Low Countries - Download

Iberia:
    Includes all except Catalunya, Portugal, Spain. Adds Basque Country (BSQ) as an additional option for Navarra (NAV)

Because Catalunya exists in V2, but it is possible for both nations to exist simultaneously, Aragon's flags had to be made a little more complex. If your transfer game does not have Catalunya present, it's recommended to simply transfer ARA to CAT.

Monarchy - Flag of Castille-Leon
    Republic/Default - The coat of arms of Castille-Leon over color bars based on the colors within the COA
    Communist - Republic flag with star
    Fascist - Shield of Castille

I've never seen a Muslim Granada last to the end of an EU3 game, so I've made their flags using symbology from Granada post-Reconquista. If you're playing Granada, I apologize for my presumption.

I've included a set of Basque flags both for mod makers and for players to decide which nation to transfer Navarra to (depending on what parts of Iberia the country occupies).

Low Countries:
    Includes all but: Flanders, Luxembourg, Netherlands

There are very few flag references for Holland that aren't also part of the Netherlands, so some "alternate" flag selections were made (specifically, the default flag)

The White Hand of Saruhan - EU3/V2 AAR (in progress) - Earned WritAAR of the Week 28 Jan 2012
    Complete EU3 Flagpack for Victoria 2 (v1.0 complete!)

Me on: Twitter | Facebook | Dakka Dakka

Working on the Russia pack; ran into a mental block right around the Qasim Khanate, so it's time for a break. I figured y'all might want to see where I'm at with it right now, though, so here are the preview images for what's done with the Russia pack. (None are downloadable as of yet.)

(images cut out so as to not repeat image posts in thread)
    Last edited by Magc8Ball; 02-12-2011 at 22:15.
    The White Hand of Saruhan - EU3/V2 AAR (in progress) - Earned WritAAR of the Week 28 Jan 2012

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Rome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: Warband
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Magc8Ball, are you aware that some of these flag sets have already been made by NNM and PDM? (Like Astrakhan and Tartarstan).

You should check through those rather then potentially wasting your time creating ones that already exist (unless of course you just want to create your own versions).

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    Magc8Ball, are you aware that some of these flag sets have already been made by NNM and PDM? (Like Astrakhan and Tartarstan).

You should check through those rather then potentially wasting your time creating ones that already exist (unless of course you just want to create your own versions).
    In some cases, I will do so, especially now that I'm getting into the "obscure Asian country" range. At the moment, though, it's easier for me to just go down the list than to check through a mod's flags folder. For countries that I can't find any reference for, though, I'll probably check in with the preexisting mods just to see what they did flag-wise.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    I noticed that some of the German minor flags use bicolor flags for everything but the monarchy flag. The issue I have with this is that almost every German state present in Vicky uses a bicolor or a tricolor potentially defaced with a COA or emblem. States like Pomerania and Silesia simply look out of place when they have just an eagle on their flag.

Aachen's default flag is a similar offender; Trier and Munster already use tricolors, but you opted to make the tricolor its default instead of its monarchy flag.

The flags I propose looking at/switching around: Ansbach, Meissen, Pomerania, Silesia, Thuringia, Tirol, Wurzburg

More than likely, converted nations would be monarchies, and it would look out of place if every German state except two incorporated a bicolor/cross.

Russia - Download
    Includes nations under the #russia tag except the following (all in V2 already):
    Armenia, Crimea, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine

In many cases, especially with those nations that are part of European Russia (primarily those absorbed into the Duchy of Muscovy) the default flag is a triband with the colors based on one of the country's other flags. In addition, most of the communist flags are (based on the old *SSR flags) simply the USSR flag with color bands representing the nation.

Finally, while I don't like to do so, quite a few of these countries don't even have flags listed for their pre-Russia period, so I chose to simply use the EU3 flag for continuity.

Monarchy: based on Coat of Arms of region
    Default: flag of region
    Republic: Default flag base with two stars representing a theoretical union between Astrakhan and Kalymika

All based on traditional flag of GH

Monarchy: flag of the city of Kazan (capital of Tatarstan)
    Default: Flag of Tatarstan
    Republic: Coat of Arms of Tatarstan
    Communist: flag of Tatarstan Autonomous Soviet Republic
    Fascist: flag used by Tatarstan nationalist groups

Republic: flag of the city of Kasimov
    Default/Fascist: reversed versions of Kazan flags (the Qasim Khanate was founded by the son of a Kazan Khan)

Republic: flag of city of Ryazan

Many flags based on those of Dagestan; the Nogai horde occupied a similar region. Default/Republic flags had their colors slightly adjusted to match Nogai monarchy flag.

D/R/F based on flags of Novosibirsk; C based on flag of another region within Siberia

Arabia and Asia Minor - Download

Many flags in this section are designed completely from whole cloth: there either are limited flag references or no flags for most of the nations in this pack. The EU3 flag was used, in many cases, as the basis for these flags.

Includes all nations under the #arabia and #asia_minor tags in the EU3 countries.txt file, except the following:

Already in V2:
    Yemen, Oman, Najd, Hedjaz

Suggested conversion:
    Sharjah (SHR) to Abu Dhabi (ABU)
    Ak Koyunlu (AKK) to Azjerbaijan (AZB)

Default flag changed to Monarchy, Monarchy to Republic, Republic to Default
    Based on either the flag of Al Haasa, or Bahrain

All based on EU3 flag

All based on historical flag of the region.

All based on historical banner of ruling dynasty, combined with homages to their origin as a Byzantine successor

Based on redesigned version of EU3 flag.

Based on redesigned version of EU3 flag.

Based on EU3 flag.

Based on EU3 flag

Based on traditional flag of region

Central Asia - Download

Turned out to be much quicker than I thought it would be: as we move east there seem to be more nations that exist in both EU3 and V2.

Includes all from #maghreb, #Central Asia, and #Persia, except the following:
    -Already in V2: Algeria (as ALD), Mamluks (as EGY), Morocco, Tripoli, Tunisia, Khiva, Kokkand, Persia
    -Recommended Conversions: Durrani (DUR) to AfGhanistan (AFG); Shaynanid (SHY) to Bukhara (BUK)

The Communist flag uses a different hammer/sickle from that shown; it's more like the one used by Jalayirids

Based loosely on flags of Iraq or EU3 flag

Monarchy/Default flags swapped in file

Based on various flags from the Armenian region that aren't also used by Armenia in game

Based either on Timurid flag or Mughalstan flag not actually used by Mughalstan in game

Native Americans - Download

All nations in the #americas section, except Cherokee (already in V2). Most of these are based on the EU3 flag, except where some reference was available, and/or the modern region the tribes inhabited.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2

I'm really looking forward to this. If only I was knowledged in how to actually use coding for this game. The guys at the EU3toVic2 converters seemed pleased by this. So will they add this to the converter at any point/ put a link to it? I'd really like to convert my Navarre game so I thank you for this.

Africa - Download

All EU3 nations under the #africa tag, except for these (already in V2): Ethiopia, Kongo, Sokoto

The Africa pack was a bit of a pain. Naturally, many of the tribes/kingdoms present in EU3 had no flag or symbology available, and the continent spent a long time under European colonization so that there wasn't the usual range of flags from the 1800s that can be picked up. So, in most cases I took flags from the modern nations in the same nearby regions, trying to make sure that there was some cultural connection.

When making a direct connection, I listed both "names" in the preview image; the tag used was mostly on a whim or based on the EU3 tag.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2

Oh, nice! I could really use a few of these African flags for the African nations (some of the ones I have, like for Loango and Kanem-Bornu, are a bit rough). You mind if I crib some of yours in return?

EDIT: Reading the first page would help. Thanks!
    Last edited by Rylock; 09-12-2011 at 17:42.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Quote Originally Posted by Rylock View Post
    Oh, nice! I could really use a few of these African flags for the African nations (some of the ones I have, like for Loango and Kanem-Bornu, are a bit rough).
    Hey, I made those...

Nah, just kidding. Yeah, some of those are better then the ones I knocked up, might be useful.

I'm currently sorting out the East Asia and China tags before starting another flag-making session, and I officially have achieved brain-lock. I'm quite tempted to use the merge_nations function of the converter to save me some work, but I have a feeling that would go against the spirit of doing this mod.

EDIT: I think the solution is going to be like Ireland: flags of minors that make up a modern "whole" will have flags with similar iconography where possible to make this process easier.
    Last edited by Magc8Ball; 09-12-2011 at 08:21.

Asia - Download
    Flagpack updated with flags for Ming and Qing China

Really big pack, this one. I broke it down by modern country for the most part, doing my best to get the "already in V2" country list matched up right. For the Chinese minors, I decided to simply recommend converting them to V2 chinese minors even if they are not strictly correct. When I do my revision pass through the flag set (I plan to go through and fix issues that people have brought up after I get done with the first pass) I'll consider making flags for them that fit the theme of the Chinese Minors in V2.

The following countries are already in V2 as direct conversions:
    Atjeh, Bali, Brunei, Dai Viet (as Dai Nam), Japan, Khmer (as Cambodia), Korea, Mongol Khanate (as Mongolia), Tibet, Manchu (as Manchukuo), Malacca (as Johore), Taungu (Burma) Luang Prabang, Vientiane (as Wiang Chan)

The following conversions are recommended:
    Xia to SXI, Wu to GXI (temporary)

Flags:

Vietnam:

Burma

Thailand/Siam:

Java:

Laos:

Miscellaneous:

EDIT: China flags added to the set for Qing and Ming:

Flags from Chandlerw1's Symbols Flag Pack's CHI flags
    Last edited by Magc8Ball; 12-12-2011 at 07:17.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    No flag for the Ming Dynasty? If you used the symbol on Ming's flag in EU3, you could get away with using flags flown by ethnic Han Chinese for everything else; the Qing Dynasty is distinctly Manchurian, so converting Ming to Qing is somewhat... wrong.

I'd also be careful of putting guns on communist and fascist flags. Paradox made the mistake of putting AK-47s on Colombia's communist flag, and now we all laugh at them for putting a modern weapon on an early 20th century flag.

Those are nice, although I don't think that Champa's flags should be based on those of Vietnam, as the Cham people are not related to the Vietnamese, but to the Malays.

Also there's a real historical flag of the Kingdom of Champasak on this site (scroll down), which has some sort of Griffon on it.

To be honest, Ketchup, it was about 4am when I got to the Chinese flags, so I just wanted to get done with the pack and get to sleep. Since I didn't actually *make* any flags for China, I'll probably do them up before I do the India flags (rather than waiting until a revision pass).

I'll probably revise the Champa flag some based on your feedback, Hib, thanks. The same goes for the Champasak flag: the only reference I had was the EU3 flag which was too small to tell what I was looking at (it just looked like a blue version of the Laotian flag, hence my design choices).

Finally... yeah, good point with the guns. The Shan State fascist flag looks like it's probably close enough to a WW1-era rifle, so I think I'm OK there but I'll definitely avoid putting anything on there that looks even vaguely AK'ish. (I think I dodged a bullet with Africa, so to speak.)

EDIT: Also noticed that the Loanga communist flag is the same as the flag used by Chandlerw1 for his Congo commie flag. I'll change that to use the seven-star motif that the other flags in the set use.
    Last edited by Magc8Ball; 11-12-2011 at 03:05.

I'm doing some thinking regarding the Chinese flags (especially Ming and Manchu), trying decide the best course of action for making those flags. As Ketchup pointed out, CHN in V2 is Qing Dynasty, which was founded by Manchu clans, and that is represented by the default China monarchy flag being based on the Qing banner. However, with the way that EU3 goes, it is more common that "China" will be dominated by the Ming dynasty by the time a transfer occurs. This leads to a bit of a question as what sets of flags I should make and what transfers are suggested.

This is what I'm thinking of doing: creating flags for nations called "Ming China" and "Qing China", both of which will use flags that are similar to the flags of "China" through the V2 period. This might lead to the situation where someone playing a transferred game will have two Chinas with similar flags at any given time, but that might be more desirable than having a Ming-descended China flying a Qing banner.

With these, I'll expect that Ming -> Ming China and Manchu -> Qing China will be the transfers. Manchukuo seems to be a creation largely of the Japanese, so for the average EU3-V2 game that won't really be important.

The other two Chinese minors (Wu and Xia) don't seem to have any real importance beyond being there to be stomped on by Ming in EU3, so I'll think about making flags for them in the same general feel as the other V2 Chinese minors.

I am definitely looking for commentary here, though, to help me figure out the best course of action. Thanks!

Well yes, you should certainly separate Ming and Qing, PDM already has Qing China (tag - QNG) and has flags for it. I think the monarchy flag for "Normal China" was then changed to something like a revived Ming dynasty, so you could use those. PDM also adds many Chinese Warlord states all with their own flag sets, so you might want to look into those.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast