• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch. That was much land lost to the revolt. But the land is poor, so I think you have more than a fighting chance.;)

I can't be certain but I'm pretty sure the Tauregs don't have more than four divisions in total - and they're spread out over a wide area.

So, all in all, I think (well, since this is an AAR I know) that I won't have too many problems with them :)

The other good thing is that they don't control any strategicly important provinces - meaning that taking their capital is enough to let me annex them.

Reactions:
Fml :(

FML. Okay, so I was going to have the next update up today. Unfortunately, my computer's just decided to break. The good news is that I can still access my files on the computer but other than that it seems dead - especially as I can't find the repair DVD. So the AAR should be able to be saved as soon as I've found a new computer or fixed this one. I'll try and find away to get the latest update up at some point during the coming week but I can't make any promises. But rest assured - this AAR is not dead and I will resume it as soon as I possibly can.

La Garde meurt mais ne se rend pas!

I bought an external hard drive yesterday so when I get home from work this evening I should be able to get all my essential files off the laptop. After that I'll be able to look at repairing it without worrying about losing any data. So, if nothing else, the AAR will survive.

SUCCESS! I have rescued the AAR, and the save games, and am now in the process of installing DH on my nice shiny new laptop - which also means that I've finally escaped the clutches of Windows Vista. The next update should hopefully be later this evening as it's 90% written and just needs the screenshots uploading.

SUCCESS! I have rescued the AAR, and the save games, and am now in the process of installing DH on my nice shiny new laptop - which also means that I've finally escaped the clutches of Windows Vista. The next update should hopefully be later this evening as it's 90% written and just needs the screenshots uploading.
Vive l'Empereur et à long peuventqu'il règne! Hope to see the update soon.

The Empire Strikes Back

In response to the sudden mass insurrection, the First Army under General D’Esperey, 90,000 strong, began marching south towards the Tuareg capital of Bachar.

Once the soldiers arrived in Djelfa an immediate assault was launched on the Tuaregs with Lt. General Delestraint’s motorised infantry ordered to push ahead through the Saharan desert, which they had crossed twice before, in order to end the rebellion as quickly as possible.

Meanwhile, the Guinean rebels were advancing along the south coast, threatening Dakar and its vital shipyards. The local garrison faced the prospect of isolation and siege unless relief were to arrive quickly.

To make things worse, local landowners staged an insurrection and seized control of the French-occupied Spanish Mediterranean islands. The islands had been left ungarrisoned and so the ports and airfields were lost without a shot being fired. The native inhabitants of the islands were determined to remain Spanish and, until such a time as the Spanish Civil War ended, would sit things out. Whilst the islands had little strategic importance, their loss was yet another blow for the embattled French Empire.

However, by the end of June the anxious French public and government finally received some good news.

The Guinean push towards Dakar had left the Labe region exposed and French militia began pushing into the region on June the 24th without encountering any sustained resistance.

More importantly, however, just three days later on the 27th the motorised infantry of Delestraint, supported by the First Army, fought and won a two hour battle with several thousand mounted Tuareg rebels, slaughtering many and dispersing the rest. Pre-Weltkrieg rifles and lances and sabres proved to be no match against the MAS Modèle 37 bolt-action rifle, supported by truck mounted machine guns.

In the aftermath of the battle the order was given for all prisoners to be treated as traitors rather than POWs. It is estimated that anywhere between one and two thousand Tuareg rebels or suspected rebels were executed following the battle.

However, the victory now opened the way to Colomb Bechar and many of the most important Tuareg settlements. High Command decided that Delestraint’s fifteen thousand motorised infantry should be sufficient and to put down the remainder of the Tuareg rebels while the First Army returned to Algiers to await naval transportation to the south.

The siege and eventual relief of the beleaguered French Foreign Legion Saharan garrisons by Delestraints soldiers as he pushed his way into sub-Saharan Africa was covered in extensive detail by the Imperial French press and would later go on to become extensive fodder for the silver screen. The heroic tales of small, outnumbered garrisons of Foreign Legionnaires, cut off from supplies yet holding out against impossible odds with rapidly decreasing water and ammunition was been told again and again in films all the way from the forties right up to the present day. Indeed, the classic 1953 original version of “The Mummy” included in its opening scenes an attack on a Legionary garrison by hundreds of Tuareg horsemen, after which the sole survivor was left wandering in the desert before eventually making his way to Egypt where, a few years later, he would be involved with an ill fated archaeological team that awakened an ancient Egyptian curse leading to a vengeful mummy tracking down and killing the cursed members of the dig team before being defeated by the heroic former legionary.

Films like these show the lasting impact of the Revolt in French culture and they played a large part into turning what had been a horrifying but ultimately feeble uprising into a French victory of mythic proportions in the eyes of the Frepublic.

By the time Delestraint arrived in Colomb Bechar in early July, he and his men were already national heroes.

Meanwhile, in the south, the French colonial militia continued to encounter no resistance as they pushed further and further into the nominally rebel held region of Labe. However, the Guinean rebels were still a threat as an offensive by their troops succeeded in capturing Tambacounda only two days after Delestraint’s victory against the Tuaregs.

This news was overshadowed, however, by Delestraint increasing his already notable reputation for bayonet-point negotiations (a reputation started by his actions in the Liberian Campaign) through a meeting with Tuareg tribal elders where he bluntly informed them that, unless, they were to cut off supplies and support to the rebels immediately, he would see to it that every well and oasis in the Tuareg homelands would be poisoned and then buried by his troops.

With Delestraint having the force to back up his threat, the elders were forced to agree rather than see their livestock die of thirst and their tribes suffer from mass starvation and thirst.

Starving, and without any hope of supply, the majority of the Tuareg warbands were ultimately forced to surrender to the French troops now occupying the region or to throw down their arms and slink back to their old lives. The few rebel diehards who retreated deep into the desert to continue their war would prove an irritant to the authorities and a hazard to travellers for the next decade but they would be too few in number to ever again pose a credible threat to the security of the empire. By any measure, the imperial armies of France had won a crushing victory.

With the Guineans now the only remaining threat, Delestraint and his men paused only to reinforce the Saharan garrisons before pushing south towards the coast. With the First Army back in Algiers, it would be up to Delestraint’s mobile infantry and the colonial militia to take on the Guineans alone.

I know this is a bit far off, but what will be your eventual plan to retake the mainland? Using the Carlists as allies perhaps? It would also be nice to see the Imperial banner flying over london....

I know this is a bit far off, but what will be your eventual plan to retake the mainland? Using the Carlists as allies perhaps? It would also be nice to see the Imperial banner flying over london....

The same plan as always: wait for WW2 to start, wait for the Commune to run out of manpower and then swoop in with an amphibious invasion and steal as much of their land as possible before the German and Nat France lines meet.

Sadly though, I don't think London is ever going to be possible - unless you're really lucky, the UoB just fortifies and garrisons their beaches like mad. Throw their navy into the mix and an amphibious invasion is pretty much impossible.

Airborne Operations exist for a reason.... And the UoB has it's weakpoints here and there...

*facepalm*

I can't believe I never thought of that. I've never actually used airborne units before but still - this is incredibly embarrasing :eek:o

Nat France doesn't have any research team for paratrooper. If you could mod one able to research mountain and para trooper, we can only begin to hope to see some Parachutistes de la Garde or Parachutistes de la Légion Étrangère. Excellent update!

Nat France doesn't have any research team for paratrooper. If you could mod one able to research mountain and para trooper, we can only begin to hope to see some Parachutistes de la Garde or Parachutistes de la Légion Étrangère. Excellent update!

Parachutistes de la Garde sound immensely appealing. I don't think Nat France could realistically have had a research team for paratroopers but a Nat France in control of part or all of France definitely should. I'm pretty poor at modding though so I'll have to give some thought on how to add a research team.

Parachutistes de la Garde sound immensely appealing. I don't think Nat France could realistically have had a research team for paratroopers but a Nat France in control of part or all of France definitely should. I'm pretty poor at modding though so I'll have to give some thought on how to add a research team.

When you do invade the mainland, make it a point to capture Paris above all else! Otherwise, you won't get the event that gives you cores back on the mainland, and you'll have a lot of provinces with high revolt risk

When you do invade the mainland, make it a point to capture Paris above all else! Otherwise, you won't get the event that gives you cores back on the mainland, and you'll have a lot of provinces with high revolt risk

In previous games I've simply modded in a "Treaty of Bordeaux" which gave me the southern half of france on the logic that the Catholic League would have been able to demand that at least as long as Nat France managed to take a substantial amount of southern france.

Well, I'm aiming for an update sometime this weekend. Ideally I'm hoping to start doing one update a week on a regular basis with extra ones coming in whenever I can find the time. Hopefully this might make up for the long waits between updates in the past :)

Status
Not open for further replies.