• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent news. Its been giving me sleepless nights knowing Sweden, Norway & Finland are part of the SU and communist.

Viva la Scandinavia!

Wait, so what the hell is going on in Scotland? Has it been Liberated yet? :)

That was one hell of a read. First HoI AAR I've ever read and it has been one hell of a journey. Normally I would despise anything French (you can blame my French teacher for that) but you got me rooting for them even if they commit horrible warcrimes.

What are your plans for Belgium? I would recommend annexian the Wallonia area and making a seperate Flanders (that's possible right?). You wouldn't want any non-french speakers in your country, would you?

Anyway, great AAR. Can't wait for your next update. :)

Interlude the Seventh

Étampes, 54 kilometres from Paris, July 14, 1951

Colonel Fabien Lebeau was tight lipped as the military car sped towards the outskirts Paris. Or, he thought grimly, perhaps one should say what had been Paris.

For why else would he have received top secret orders to bring a team of his top atomic scientists to conduct an investigation at Paris? Why else was the military grapevine abuzz with rumours of a mushroom shaped cloud over Paris which they had been ordered not to speak of? Why else had the wireless suddenly dropped any mention of the capital from news reports?

Fabien started unconsciously drumming his fingers on the dashboard, a drumbeat which grew louder and louder as they approached Paris.

***​

Montrouge, 14th arrondissement of Paris

The car and the small convoy following it drew to a halt at a military checkpoint in the middle of the street manned by two harassed looking gendarmes and two Spanish soldiers. Then a man in the uniform of a Général de division detached himself from the shadows at the side of a building and approached Fabien’s side of the car.

“Georges!” he exclaimed as the superior officer drew closer. For it was he. Georges Leblanc, the officer-bureaucrat and his best friend who he had not seen in many years.

“Technically it should be sir,” Georges said in a tone of amusement which did not reach his eyes “but I’ll let it slide for an old friend.”

He looked around.

“A word in private if you would Fabien.”

Fabien got out of the car and followed his friend to the side of the street, away from any ears that might be listening in.

“How much have they told you?” Georges asked abruptly.

“Practically nothing. I was told to bring myself and a team of atomic scientists to Paris for an investigation without delay but nothing more than that. Is it true then? Have the Prussians dropped an atomic bomb on Paris?”

“We don’t know” came the reply. “Two days ago there was an air raid, the usual bombs and incendiaries. Then, in the middle of it, there was a huge explosion. The air caught on fire all across the first to seventh arrondissements, a cloud shaped like a mushroom shot up into the air and thousands are dead - some burned to a crisp and others dead without a mark on them.”

Georges paused.

“But none of the buildings were destroyed. They’re scorched, the glass in Notre Dame is smashed to smithereens and there’s countless other damage across central Paris but the buildings themselves still stand. Yet you’ve seen the photographs of Essen - all the buildings within the initial blast radius were reduced to rubble.

“And there’s another thing,” he continued “when we captured Essen we found hospitals still overwhelmed with people dying from a mysterious sickness which we think was caused by radiation but there have been no cases of that reported here. We’re at a loss. On the one hand it seems like an atomic bomb but on the other hand it doesn’t. We need your experts to work out whether it was or not.”

Fabien swallowed, his throat dry, then nodded.

“I’ll set my men to work immediately. They have these devices caused Geiger counters which measure radiation. If this really was an atomic bomb then they’ll find radiation to prove it.”

“Good. You’re the best, most trusted man we have on this. We need answers quickly. If we don’t get precise information soon, panic will break out - and not just among the civilians.”

“Yes sir,” replied Fabien, saluting before turning away to shout orders to his men to get out of the vehicles and proceed on foot.

As the men in the bulky equipment which was meant to protect them from radiation got out of the vehicles, Georges spoke in a voice which struggled to remain casual.

“You know, they say that this radiation sickness is caused by prolonged exposure to somewhere where a bomb has gone off. I’ve been in the city for two days. I have friends who were here when it happened. If this was an atomic bomb, what are our chances?”

Fabien reluctantly turned back to his friend, loathe to be the bearer of bad news.

“If it was an atomic bomb then we’re dead. You, me, your friends - everyone who’s been this close without protective gear. I’m sorry.”

Georges took out a cigarette with shaking fingers and lit it, offering one to Fabien who silently accepted.

“Ah well,” the bureaucrat said “at least we got to see home again before we died.”

“Yes,” Fabien replied wistfully. “That we did.”

Last edited:
The Bombing of Paris

On the 12th of July a Ukrainian bomber squadron dropped a new weapon over central Paris. The resulting fireball sent a mushroom cloud miles into the air and killed thousands of Parisians, some burned to death instantly, others dying horrifically from a multitude of internal injuries due to the effects of the blast.

ScreenSave755_zpsf7cace74.jpg

Despite the panic initially triggered in the upper ranks of the French military, this was not an atomic bomb, although it would take until three days later for a team of atomic scientists under the command of Colonel Lebeau, who had been in charge of Project Jericho, to be able to conclude that this had definitely not been a case of a German atomic bomb.

It would take even longer for French experts to work out what the weapon actually was - a primitive version of what we would now call a thermo-baric bomb.

A potent fuel and coal dust mix, developed by the Germans, had been spread throughout the air over Paris from specially adapted Ukrainian bombers (due to the lack of suitable aircraft remaining in the Luftstreitkräfte) which, when ignited, sucked in atmospheric oxygen to create a blast which set the air itself on fire as well as, when used on such a large scale, creating a mushroom cloud reminiscent of an atomic blast.

The principles of thermobaric weapons had been known to the German military for years and, following the atomic bombing of Portsmouth being mistaken as an advanced version the same type of weapon by the Germans, had been the subject of extensive theoretical research but little practical implementation due to a lack of funding.

Following the atomic bombing of Germany at the beginning of the war, the potential of this type of weapon had been urgently examined once again by the Reichsheer as it was assumed that this was the kind of weapon which had been used by the French against Germany with even the numerous cases of radiation sickness being put down to the lingering effects of poisonous chemicals included in the French version of the weapon.

The fact that this explanation for the atomic attacks did not stand up to any detailed scrutiny did not matter to the German military. Out of what seems to have been desperation, they clung to the thermobaric explanation as that meant that Germany could rapidly develop their own version to use against the French and bring parity to a war that was going firmly against the German Empire.

But by the time the development of a prototype thermobaric weapon had been completed by German scientists the war was already on the verge of being lost and, with the loss of key German industrial areas to the French, there was not the capacity left to produce the weapon on a large enough scale to be used effectively. If there had been then perhaps, given the still devastating impact of the weapon, the German Empire could have responded to the atomic bombs by annihilating French cities until an armistice could be forced.

As it was, all the military government of Germany could do was order the prototype version of the weapon to be used against Paris by a borrowed Ukrainian squadron in the hope that it might scare the French into coming to terms.

Instead, all it served to achieve was to cause significant, but repairable damage, to the buildings and infrastructure of central Paris, kill thousands of civilians and enrage the French who exploited the attack for propaganda purposes, neatly quashing any qualms initially experienced by French troops entering the ruins of Stuttgart, Essen and Berlin as the Germans were perceived to have done exactly the same to Paris.

This single incident, horrific though it was in a war filled with many greater horrors, was the last, best, and ultimately futile gamble of the German Empire. Once the French military had recovered from the shock of the attack it pressed forward all the more fiercely. The war in Europe was entering its final stages.

So, it's back. Finally got the updates finished. Sorry they're so text heavy.

The good news is that I now really want to play a New World Order game on Darkest Hour which I can't play until I upgrade beyond version 1.02 which the AAR game is being played in - meaning I have a very strong motivation to get this finished as quickly as possible ;)

Wait, so what the hell is going on in Scotland? Has it been Liberated yet? :)

Yes it has, though it will be a while before Scotland gets pictured in an update.

Will we see a puppet in Quebec at any point?

I hope so, though I haven't played that far ahead yet.

That was one hell of a read. First HoI AAR I've ever read and it has been one hell of a journey. Normally I would despise anything French (you can blame my French teacher for that) but you got me rooting for them even if they commit horrible warcrimes.

What are your plans for Belgium? I would recommend annexian the Wallonia area and making a seperate Flanders (that's possible right?). You wouldn't want any non-french speakers in your country, would you?

Anyway, great AAR. Can't wait for your next update. :)

Thanks very much and I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

Regarding Belgium, you'll have to wait and see but I can tell you that the 'Emperor of the French' defines the 'French' as being anyone who speaks French - which might give you a clue ;)

A wonderful ending on the update! :) This is not an atomic bomb, from the sound of it.

EDIT: I see another one was posted right after, comment to follow.:p

So, it's back. Finally got the updates finished. Sorry they're so text heavy.

The good news is that I now really want to play a New World Order game on Darkest Hour which I can't play until I upgrade beyond version 1.02 which the AAR game is being played in - meaning I have a very strong motivation to get this finished as quickly as possible ;)

As long as you finish this properly, I'm a happy camper with motivation to come over to any new AAR you do.;)

Ah ha, so the Portsmouth deception came back to bite the Empire after all. Certainly seems a bit silly to be raising a fuss over a thermobaric weapon when half of Germany is irradiated rubble, but... well... there aren't really any heroes in this story.

Ukraine has really turned into the unexpected regional power of this game. There's a story or two in there, I think.

(29.21%. What in the...)

Ah ha, so the Portsmouth deception came back to bite the Empire after all. Certainly seems a bit silly to be raising a fuss over a thermobaric weapon when half of Germany is irradiated rubble, but... well... there aren't really any heroes in this story.

Ukraine has really turned into the unexpected regional power of this game. There's a story or two in there, I think.

(29.21%. What in the...)

Yeah, the insane level of infrastructure damage from a single raid is what motivated me to interpret it as a themorbaric weapon - plus the application of the Rule of Cool.

And the incredible power of Ukraine continues to amaze. To be honest, I regret deciding to make Poland leave its alliance - if Ukraine had had a land connection to Germany then all its infantry might have made things come out very differently.

(Then again, I did also play the war through without using atomic bombs and won anyway so I expect I still could have won if Ukraine's army had been able to take part.)

As long as you finish this properly, I'm a happy camper with motivation to come over to any new AAR you do.;)

Thanks - I'd originally planned to do a syndicalist Australia AAR but now I'm tempted to do one as the UAR in the New World Order mod. Decisions, decisions. I'm sure I'll make a choice eventually though :p

Could I ask everyone to do me a favour and make relevant comments in this thread until we get to a new page please?

It turns out you're only allowed to post 20 images per page and my next update is so image heavy I'd break that limit if I posted it before we get to the next page :p

It turns out you're only allowed to post 20 images per page and my next update is so image heavy I'd break that limit if I posted it before we get to the next page :p

Isn't it only 20 images per post? :huh:

Isn't it only 20 images per post? :huh:

Yes it is, but apparently they count two posts with images on the same page as being one post. It's confusing but better safe than sorry I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.