• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man! That really weakens the LoN.

Yeah, but the truth was that having Hungary in the LoN just made it too overpowered. I want to be in a situation where the AI has a good chance of winning - even though an AI victory would mean I'd have to revise the title of the AAR...

Get Canada to join the league and destroy those dastardly British Syndies.

Get Canada to join the league and destroy those dastardly British Syndies.

I kinda pissed them off when I deserted them for the Catholic League...

Tell them it's their only chance to return to the island.

Yeah. You would need a huuge carrot to get them on board now. Like control of (parts of) the Isles.;)

Speaking of the Balkans, no Austro-Hungarian empire means Romania and Serbia can attempt to reclaim their lands in Transylvania and Vojvodina/Bosnia. Assuming they're not engaged in trench warfare with Bulgaria at the moment.
edit: Well, checking older updates, it appears that either Romania had a monarchist revolution or was defeated by Bulgaria and had a puppet setup.

Last edited:
Speaking of the Balkans, no Austro-Hungarian empire means Romania and Serbia can attempt to reclaim their lands in Transylvania and Vojvodina/Bosnia. Assuming they're not engaged in trench warfare with Bulgaria at the moment.
edit: Well, checking older updates, it appears that either Romania had a monarchist revolution or was defeated by Bulgaria and had a puppet setup.

Yup, Serbia and Romania are Bulgaria's puppets. It's a shame because otherwise you could have had a quite interesting Balkan war :(

i think getting poland to join the league would make sense. they're catholic and they would most likely want to reclaim some polish lands currently owned by germany

i think getting poland to join the league would make sense. they're catholic and they would most likely want to reclaim some polish lands currently owned by germany

A Poland with an eye on their lost territories probably wouldn't sit well with Austria.

A Poland with an eye on their lost territories probably wouldn't sit well with Austria.

Be that as it may, I'm sure Otto is still at greater odds with Germany for their renewed Kulturkampf, and still desires to take a shot at them. In the spirit of the old adage "enemy of my enemy is my friend," and given that the Poles are fellow Catholics, I am sure that the Austrians would be willing to overlook the Galicia affair (but still be sore over it, of course) for the chance at politically isolating Germany and eventually carving it up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

Addendum: I should note that political isolation was utilized by Bismarck in order to make swallowing up the German states (and kicking Austria's arsch) as diplomatically frictionless as possible. I find it hard to believe that Austria would not jump at the chance to beat Jerry at his own game.

Last edited:
Be that as it may, I'm sure Otto is still at greater odds with Germany for their renewed Kulturkampf, and still desires to take a shot at them. In the spirit of the old adage "enemy of my enemy is my friend," and given that the Poles are fellow Catholics, I am sure that the Austrians would be willing to overlook the Galicia affair (but still be sore over it, of course) for the chance at politically isolating Germany and eventually carving it up like a Thanksgiving turkey.

Addendum: I should note that political isolation was utilized by Bismarck in order to make swallowing up the German states (and kicking Austria's arsch) as diplomatically frictionless as possible. I find it hard to believe that Austria would not jump at the chance to beat Jerry at his own game.
I'm in agreement with this. France has nothing to lose from a Polish ally, and Poland would be beholden to France to vouch in its favor against Austria. Given that the Third Empire has no aversion to realpolitik, this wouldn't be out of character, and gives them a solid client state to tackle the Eastern puppet kingdoms (or buy time for the rest of the League at least). Perhaps you can placate the Austrians by promising them Eisenstadt in a later war against Hungary?

I'm in agreement with this. France has nothing to lose from a Polish ally, and Poland would be beholden to France to vouch in its favor against Austria. Given that the Third Empire has no aversion to realpolitik, this wouldn't be out of character, and gives them a solid client state to tackle the Eastern puppet kingdoms (or buy time for the rest of the League at least). Perhaps you can placate the Austrians by promising them Eisenstadt in a later war against Hungary?

I do not agree. Poland has basically nothing to gain by allying with the League and a lot to lose. Also, for pure gameplay reasons, having Poland in the League would make the war too easy. Poland should either stay neutral or be bullied into joining Mittleuropa formally.

For realism's sake, Poland needs to be a part of LoN. Taking back Wielkopolska (Poznan) would be a priority in tis geopolitical situation. Joining the former Catholic League, led by France, by a catholic Poland, which always sided with the french, makes perfect sense.
For gameplay reasons, you could always give Germany an event with +4 land forts all along the polish border.

Well for some reason Poland is already a member of the Mitteleuropa so a switch from that alliance to the LoN would probably be quite unrealistic. Them being persuaded to stay neutral in exchange for a share of the spoils if France wins is another matter...

Well for some reason Poland is already a member of the Mitteleuropa so a switch from that alliance to the LoN would probably be quite unrealistic. Them being persuaded to stay neutral in exchange for a share of the spoils if France wins is another matter...
Probably the most sensible option.

Following the breakup of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Napoleon IV and the French Empire’s diplomatic corps spent several months soothing relations between League members and trying to ensure that Austria and its reduced empire would not desert the League. Their efforts were largely successful - primarily because Austria had nowhere else to turn given the German Empire’s support of the breakaway states.

Thus, the remainder of 1944 would remain a relatively quiet year for the French Empire with the national effort dedicated mainly to a military build-up capable of confronting the Union of Britain.

In February, French intelligence had revealed that the majority of Britain’s surface fleet had been destroyed by years of battle with both the Kriegsmarine and the Royal Canadian Navy. In an attempt to confirm this, and to scout out the land defences of the British Isles, towards the end of the month the 1st Fleet was dispatched towards British territorial waters.

The French fleet, despite being composed entirely of Weltkrieg era ships, encountered no resistance from the Republican Navy and even managed to sail as far as the Irish Sea before encountering, and sinking in a brief naval engagement, a submarine hunting pack.

screensave284.jpg

Satisfied that the Republican Navy was no longer a threat, Napoleon IV ordered De Gaulle to begin a military program to develop various potential methods for an invasion of Britain - beginning with the development of aeroplanes suitable for the transportation of troops which would be a precursor to experiments in parachutist troops of the kind being practised by Canada prior to the break between France and the Entente.

screensave285.jpg

However, more significant than these military experiments which would include many obviously unsuitable projects (including the infamous failure to build a five-wing aeroplane), was the completion in April of six battleships of the new Lomagne class.

screensave292.jpg

These battleships, combined with the completion of eight Foch class battlecruisers in August and seven Zircon class destroyers in October, were to form the core of a new, modern fleet and acted as a crucial step on the path to making France a naval power once more.

screensave303.jpg

screensave308.jpg

Additionally, the French army was to undergo a major overhaul which would include the issuing of every unit with modern semi-automatic assault rifles - manufactured in Lyons.

screensave317.jpg

Meanwhile, in the French Empire’s efforts to produce the world’s first atomic bomb, major strides were made when, in the period from May to August, the team led by the Joliot-Curies at the secret facility in the Algerian desert succeeded in producing a semi-fission bomb - itself many times more powerful than any weapon existing in the world at that time - generating the scientific data necessary for work to begin work on a fission bomb.

screensave302.jpg

Coupled with the expansion of the Bonapartium enriching reactor at the desert facility, and the start of work on the design of new ballistic missiles, the French Empire was coming very close to its long held goal of being capable of delivering an atomic bomb to the heart of both Britain and Germany.

screensave309.jpg

screensave300.jpg

Internationally, 1944 was a year of some significance. In the remnants of the USA President MacArthur, victor of the Second American Civil War, voluntarily ended his military government and allowed free and fair elections - which he lost to the Democrat candidate Cordell Hull.

screensave315.jpg

Meanwhile, following its military weakness which had allowed Mexico to demand and receive the annexation of southern California, the Pacific States of America sought and received a guarantee of their independence by the rising Japanese Empire.

screensave297.jpg

And, most worryingly to the capitalist powers of Europe, the totalist Soviet Republic made major gains against Scandinavia - seizing control of all of Sweden and most of Norway by Christmas.

screensave320.jpg

As you might be able to tell, I'm trying to hurry things up so that we can get past a couple of fairly uneventful years I had and on to the ultimate fate of the UoB ;)

I don't think the Soviets pose too much of a threat. That lightly defended Britain is a real boost, anyways.

I wouldn't really call five divisions on every beach "lightly defended" to be honest :p

Status
Not open for further replies.