• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
The topic for today is Foreign Investment. In the Victorian era, as well as today, diplomatic and economic influence often go hand in hand and we wanted to capture this, as well as giving some empire building role-playing for the end game. So how does it work then?

We have added a new tab under production where you can get an overview of investments and can build factories in other countries (that have governments that allow it). The diplomatic overview for a country now also show who the investors are. Railroads and factories can also be built from the province interface on foreign provinces. Capitalists are also allowed to do investments if they have spare cash. A country's economic policy controls if you are allowed to do foreign investments, as well as if you allow them to be performed. You also need to be a Great Power to be able to do this.

dd8_1.png

So why would you want to give away your money? Having investments in another country gives you two benefits. First of all it works to slow down other countries influence gain and keep your sphere safer from tampering (this works the other way as well, you can start off with some investment to get an edge versus someone else in the race to put someone in your sphere). Secondly it decides how much of their market you get control over. The way it used to work in Victoria II was that everything on your market would be under the control of your sphere master. Now this only true for uncivilized countries (with some modifications, see future diary on unciv changes). Civilized nations let you control 75% of their market and second rank powers only 50%. The rest of the market control is dependent on investments, so if say you funded half of a second rank countries industry you can grab 75% of it, without investments you would only get 50%. The country's own industries count for this as well, so building up some industry and infrastructure will help you stay independent easier and keep you from being exploited.

dd8_2.png

To support this we have also added some more cool things. You will now be able to sever ties with a country and kick them out of your sphere (this will cost some infamy and prestige however) and non-great powers all get a new decision "Nationalize" where they basically grab all invested industry in their nation for themselves. Since this might be frowned upon it will also give a CB for the investors to puppet you, so make sure you can hold your own before doing this (or expect your previous partners to be very busy for a while).

Next week we will be talking about popular movements and changes to the rebel system. There might also be some cool pictures of tanks.

As a little bonus, here is an interview about A House Divided with Johan:
http://josefvstalin.com/media/victoria-ii-a-house-divided-interview.81/

Last edited:
Did you time this DD post on purpose, or are you just naturally leet? ;)

They look like great improvements.

The feature I expected the most in this expansion and it's even better than in my dreams !
The effect of investments on influence will make sphering a little more complex and challenging (it's rather dull currently).
A question : who will get the factories profits and outputs ? Will they be shared in some way ? Or it's all for the investor ?
Will nationalization be an issue for your pop ? Or it won't care and it's just up to the player to decide ?

Did you time this DD post on purpose, or are you just naturally leet? ;)

actually it was a total coincidence :D pretty funny

The feature I expected the most in this expansion and it's even better than in my dreams !
The effect of investments on influence will make sphering a little more complex and challenging (it's rather dull currently).
A question : who will get the factories profits and outputs ? Will they be shared in some way ? Or it's all for the investor ?
Will nationalization be an issue for your pop ? Or it won't care and it's just up to the player to decide ?

output profits go to the country itself like normal (eg capis). the goods are accessible in order depending on how much control you have over your own market. Player decide when to do nationalization, but it will have some limiters we are still working on.

Last edited:

Local capitalists get it.

Your benefit is
a) bigger marketshare of that nations goods
b) more goods produced to the your market.
c) more craftsmens & clerks that can benefit from your products.

Nice, is there any way for an nation try to attract foreign investment since it seems it will help you build more factories and increase your score?

Also imo, secondary powers should be able to invest too, though the only thing they would get would be a greater market share, because obviously they have no sphere.

I presume you 'invest' through the diplomacy screen? Is there any way to do it while in the Foreign Investments tab? (there's a nice space next to 'other' for it if there isn't :p).

Regardless, this just made Victoria 2 into a better Economic sim.

I presume you 'invest' through the diplomacy screen? Is there any way to do it while in the Foreign Investments tab? (there's a nice space next to 'other' for it if there isn't :p).

Regardless, this just made Victoria 2 into a better Economic sim.

diplomacy screen only lets you see an overview of investors, you do the actual investment from the foreign investment tab, or from clicking on a foreign province.

Will our foreign factories reflect on our industrial score?

E.g. as Portugal it is a nightmare to get industrial score, so if I fill China with portuguese factories will my industrial score go up?

Will our foreign factories reflect on our industrial score?

E.g. as Portugal it is a nightmare to get industrial score, so if I fill China with portuguese factories will my industrial score go up?

yes

How about factories built in a part of an empire which subsequently break way, i.e. if the UK builds a liquor factory in Dublin and Ireland then gains independence, will she still rule through her capitalists, her landlords, financiers, and through the whole array of commercial and industrial institutions she has planted in Ireland and watered with the tears of our mothers and the blood of our martyrs? Or will those factories be reset as purely Irish?