• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm thinking of the following plan to beat Italy..

GroteFoto-AH7DLX8U.jpg

1. Red: We do an invasion behind the troops that stationed next to Messina. We try to take them out. It will be hard, because they can still receive supplies (port) and we don't have that many divisions we can get there. We will be outnumberd i think, so we have to handle quick.

2. Yellow: After we are done with "Code Red", we invade the other side of Southern Italy and together with the troops that were involved in "Code Red", we march up the boot.

3. Blue: As we expect some heavy resistance in the central part of the boot, we invade the region next to Venice. We hope to get some divisions up there, so we can move on in the center.

4. Green: We have to get together in an assembling area, so we bring the Italians their final knock out.

Any comments?

I would do Green ahead of Blue to seize the Italian stockpile.

I have to agree wit eqqman, do green then blue. And Italian Army without Supplies won't be worth much, and you can also steal their resources by taking Rome, so i say go for it!

If resistance isn't that big, that could be better yes. But if they got their entire army fighting against me, I need to open a second front to take off some Italian divisions from the central front.

Hopefully they are in war with the Allies soon, so they need troops near the French border and the Royal Navy will help me out in the Mediterranean Sea.

You could also knock out Sardinia until you have sufficient land units for a war through Yugoslavia. North Africa would be a worthwile target, too, it would speed up the Italian surrender process. You would thus create new fronts for the Italian AI and knock out some of it's units along the way.

If resistance isn't that big, that could be better yes. But if they got their entire army fighting against me, I need to open a second front to take off some Italian divisions from the central front.

The expectation is that resistance will be light(er) once the Italians send everything they have to fight you off at the bottom of the boot.

Chapters 1 and 3 both exceed the 20 image limit, please correct this at your next available opportunity.

Also, do you have permission to be running an interactive AAR? I notice more and more that you are leaving decisions up to the readers. Please ask for permission before doing this in your AAR, it is required as per the rules.

I would like to warn you that quoting moderators and questioning their decisions publicly is against forum rules. I would strongly suggest that you use the PM system instead.

You are giving your readers time to discuss your battle plan and comment on it, theoretically to influence your own style of play. I would define this as "interactive". However; I understand that you have not made a fully interactive AAR, I was warning you that you are headed down that road and that there are proper means by which to do it if that is what you want.

Question: How were you able to lower your neutrality enough to start declaring wars? Even using spies to increase threat and using the "prepare for war "option (at day 1 of the campaign) I was not able to get anywhere close to your results. (3.05)

Last edited:
Question: How were you able to lower your neutrality enough to start declaring wars? Even using spies to increase threat and using the "prepare for war "option (at day 1 of the campaign) I was not able to get anywhere close to your results. (3.05)

I just did the same things as you did. I don't use mods or have any edited files. Are you sure you got the whole time ten spies in Hungary?

Yes, I had 10 spies from the start (I set 100% to espionage the first days to get spies up fast), but by the time the "prepare for war" event stopped in late 36 I was at around 27% neutrality, and after that the reduction was real slow.

Yes, I had 10 spies from the start (I set 100% to espionage the first days to get spies up fast), but by the time the "prepare for war" event stopped in late 36 I was at around 27% neutrality, and after that the reduction was real slow.

Hmm, strange. :(

Chapter 6: Hurting the Italians

Chapter 6: Hurting the Italians

In the previous chapter we saw how Romania attacked the Italians on their own soil: Sicily. The next step is to defeat the Italians, while they are busy with France. After we conquered Sicily, Italy defended the Strait of Messina pretty good.

We were certrain that we could beat the Italian Army with the next plan:

GroteFoto-AH7DLX8U.jpg

1. Red: We do an invasion behind the troops that stationed next to Messina. We try to take them out. It will be hard, because they can still receive supplies (port) and we don't have that many divisions we can get there. We will be outnumberd i think, so we have to handle quick.
2. Yellow: After we are done with "Code Red", we invade the other side of Southern Italy and together with the troops that were involved in "Code Red", we march up the boot.
3. Blue: As we expect some heavy resistance in the central part of the boot, we invade the region next to Venice. We hope to get some divisions up there, so we can move on in the center.
4. Green: We have to get together in an assembling area, so we bring the Italians their final knock out.

Before the start of our invasion, we declared war on Portugal, one of our future targets, on 4 January 1940.

GroteFoto-DRPBYQ4O.jpg

Romania DoW Portugal

A few days later we see that the Italians move a good amount of divisions to the north. Shouldn't they be able to hold the line over there? As we see on 25 January, they clearly couldn't. The French army did some great movements in the north. This would make things easier for us.

GroteFoto-VWDC33JF.jpg

Italian movements to the north

GroteFoto-WXEG7NZY.jpg

French Army advancing into Italy

Well, our navy isn't that strong, but we managed to sink two submarines of the Regia Marina. That's a very good result!

GroteFoto-UCRAXDM7.jpg

Hurray! We sunk two submarines.

In the meanwhile Germany attacked Denmark, so they could close the Baltic Sea for the Allies. On 6 February 1940 this game got a surprising change. Germany declared war on the Soviet Union or vice versa. This would make things more and more interesting.

GroteFoto-6VDPHELS.jpg

Germany attacks Denmark

GroteFoto-OBZ8QDH3.jpg

Germany and the Soviet Union at war

At least on the short term a weak Axis would be good for us. We decided that it was the right moment to attack the Italian boot. One day before the German-Soviet war we launched a massive invasion in the provinces of Gioia Tauro and CatanzaroWe encircled the Italian troops next to the Strait of Messina. We managed to launch a succesful amphibious invasion right after the divisions in Reggio di Calabria. We encircled them, but left Messina undefended, because we didn't have enough troops to attack and defend. We blocked the enemy with our ships, so they couldn't cross the Strait of Messina. We managed to close them in and destroy almost 60.000 soldiers, including some armoured divisions. The Romanian Army was celebrating the huge victory, but soon they got orders to move northwards..

GroteFoto-JTBBIJMU.jpg

Right after the invasion

GroteFoto-JTBBIJMU.jpg

We managed to push the Italians back..

GroteFoto-BX84OHKE.jpg

..and are winning the battle of Reggio di Calabria

GroteFoto-IOHOT8TM.jpg

Romania won the Battle of Reggio di Calabria. Italy lost almost 60.000 soldiers

GroteFoto-8BJMQURT.jpg

We transported some extra troops to Messina, so the troops couldn't escape.

GroteFoto-XB8ELOGW.jpg

Situation in Southern Italy

We did quite a good job in Italy until now. The French are moving in the north, we are advancing from the south. We got another force for a second or even third amphibious assault. Eventhough our navy is very weak, we don't have to much problems to handle the Regia Marina. We try to avoid the battles and ofcourse the Royal Navy is very helpful.

Next chapter: coming up!
In the next chapter we see how Romania is dealing with the Italians. Are the Romanians able to push the Italian back to Rome or even further? Or do we have to retreat to Sicily again and what about Northern Africa? We will see in the next chapter..