• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

feye1

Field Marshal
16 Badges
Nov 19, 2010
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines
Welcome to this After Action Report (AAR)

Vlag-Roemenie.gif

Short history Romania in World War II
The Romanians seized and lost much territory since 1859. In the Second World War the Hungarians, Bulgarians and Russians forced the Romanians to give up big parts of the country in order to avoid a war.

In 1940, Bessarabia and Bukovina were occupied by the USSR in accordance with the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact with Nazi Germany.
The Second Vienna Award was also disastrous for the Romanians. Mussolini and Hitler decided that Hungary is the rightful owner of (Northern) Transylvania.
If that wasnt enoguh, Romania had to give up Dobruja to the Bulgarians. Romania was forced to sign this Craiova Agreement by Nazi Germany.

After all, you can't say the Germans were very nice according to Romania. In september 1940 the fascist politician Ion Antonescu became the new leader of Romania. Soon they joined the Axis (23 november) and they fought with the Germans on the Eastern Front with around fifteen divisions.
The moment the Red Army was pulling the Axis back to their homelands, Romania surrendered (23 august 1944).

The main goal (for now) is to expand the Romanian border as much as possible. In order to succeed, I have set up some short term goals:
  • Probably conquer Bulgaria, Greece, Albania, Yugoslavia
  • If possible conquer Hungary (depends on the fact if they are in Axis or not) and Czechoslovakia
  • I have some other possibilities in mind...

Some of my house rules in this AAR:
  • I will play FTM 3.05.
  • I don't play with any mods.
  • No cheats or edited files.
  • Manual control on everything
  • Normal difficulty

Some other notes to keep in mind:
  • This is my first AAR, so it's all new for me!
  • Don't hesitate to give some hints and tips for this AAR!
  • I will try to update this AAR regularly (few times a week).
  • English is not my mother tongue (I'm Dutch!), so there will be some language errors... :eek:hmy:
  • Please let me know if you are in.

Table of contents

Last update: 22 March 2012

Last edited:
Very interesting, looking forward for one an AAR about Romania, which is perhaps the least played European Minor which was involved in WWII.

Chapter 1: Prepare for War

As one of the biggest countries in the region and the oil fields in Ploiesti, the Romanians are potentially a strong nation. With neighbours as Hungary, Bulgaria and Yugoslavia, there are plenty of options to expand our borders. On the other hand, we have to keep in mind we also have a border with the mighty Sovjet Union.

GroteFoto-QBQCCY4C.jpg

Because we want to expand our borders, we start immediately to prepare us for the war! In order to get our factories at full speed, we need to get resources. To get enough money to buy those resources, we sell a lot of oil. Germany, France and Italy all want our oil and on the other hand we buy a lot of resources from the United States. Germany immediately is seeing the importance of the oil fields in Romania and tries to influence us.

GroteFoto-OVKS8RGL-D.jpg

Foto-NNFHK68H-D.jpg

Foto-SZ8I7QVL-D.jpg

In the meanwhile the civil war started in Spain. Franco and his rebellions will win this civil war and another nation in Europe fell to the fascists. Maybe they can play an important part in the Second World War? For the Germans it would be nice if the Spanish Army occupied Gibralter..

GroteFoto-DAEVOQM3.jpg

To prevent that the Hungarians will claim Transylvania, we need to declare war on them, before they join the Axis. Ten of our spies start to increase the threat of Hungary.
As we need to expand our borders first via the land, we start to research the new technologies for the infantry.
In the meanwhile the Army is reorganized and most divisions are set down at the Hungarian border, because we see them as our main threat.

GroteFoto-ER3HGP86.jpg

GroteFoto-BDHOZYNF.jpg

GroteFoto-RIVAFZL4.jpg

GroteFoto-XZD8AE44.jpg

Due the fact we lose our neutrality, we can enable some laws that make it possible to increase the rearmament of Romania.
Most of the divisions include three infantry regiments, but there is not support from artillery. We need to produce some artillery for all of our division, in order to gain a benefit in the war on the Balkans. We also produce some transport ships, because we need them in the future.
The research is succesfull, the Romanians are getting a modern field army!

GroteFoto-UZYE8Q6J.jpg

GroteFoto-KFBLDAWX.jpg

GroteFoto-NKFOP7IV.jpg

The Hungarians feel more threatened by the Romanians now, so they start moving some troops to the border. In the meanwhile we keep update our knowledge on several points and finally we are able to get a three year draft.

GroteFoto-T8SLSCA7.jpg

GroteFoto-7VLUPNYL.jpg

Foto-BUUXZANZ-D.jpg

Our spies are doing very well. Even the UK feels very threatened by the Hungarians…
Our biggest threat is the Sovjet Union, but the Hungarians are following closely. When the Germans stop influence us, we start aligning our self to the Axis. No, we don’t want to join (yet).

Foto-JRB6QDDA-D.jpg

Foto-6VAQWZV3-D.jpg

Foto-KHOJ3NPE-D.jpg

Hopefully the Hungarians don’t join the Axis now, because we are expecting a war is starting before the end of the year. We order two of our armored divisions (1 Cavalry division is upgraded!) to move closely to the Hungarian border.
In the meanwhile the Germans annexed Austria and we keep modernizing our army…

GroteFoto-EOHZRQVB.jpg

GroteFoto-YAOIAHJS.jpg

GroteFoto-TS7QDBPW.jpg

The next time we see if we can start a war before the Hungarians join the Axis. If not, we have some serious problems when the Hungarians claim Transylvania...

This was my first part in my first AAR. Please give some comments/tips for the next parts. For now I uploaded more photo's and not that much text, because there was not really that much to tell you guys. :)

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think as a human player you are free to reject all the various claims on Romanian territory that come up. This might cause a war but if you are already in the Axis then that won't be a worry as Germany will be on your side.

In FtM it is actually a big mistake to raise threat on the first country you want to attack. If you raise the threat on Hungary and defeat them, then you no longer have any threat and your neutrality will skyrocket again. It is better to raise threat on the *last* neighbor you plan to war with, so you only have to spend time accumulating threat once.

1)Do you plan on building up the navy/airforce?
2)Turkey is a very good country to invade,you should try it...

I don't have enough IC to build up a good airforce, but in the next update Romania is taking the first steps to build a navy.. :)
Turkey is a very good country to invade yes. But, we have to aim on our damn neighbour first.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think as a human player you are free to reject all the various claims on Romanian territory that come up. This might cause a war but if you are already in the Axis then that won't be a worry as Germany will be on your side.

In FtM it is actually a big mistake to raise threat on the first country you want to attack. If you raise the threat on Hungary and defeat them, then you no longer have any threat and your neutrality will skyrocket again. It is better to raise threat on the *last* neighbor you plan to war with, so you only have to spend time accumulating threat once.

Wow, I didnt know that (about the threat-neutrality)! Good to keep in mind next time. But.. I think that will not be a problem now...

If I reject the claims, then a war will start. As I don't want to join Axis (at least not now!), I need to conquer the Hungarians before they are in the Axis..

But I'm planning to play a little odd, so I could kill myself and Romania pretty fast.. ;)

Last edited:
Right now,in my opinion,you need to upgrade your leadership as much at least a little bit because it is just too little...
I'm researching the Education tech. Are there any other options except that techt + conquer some countries?

I'm researching the Education tech. Are there any other options except that techt + conquer some countries?

Classic misconception. With 4.68 starting leadership, you need to complete Education level 5 before you've earned back the 1 Leadership you've spent researching it. In the early years, you are better off raising Leadership via conquest and then getting in a few levels of Education later when keeping it in your slot is less of an impediment to the other critical techs you need.

If you are going to stay out of the Axis for a while, then you are probably doing the right thing by focusing on killing off Hungary first. If you stay out for the whole game, I don't know if the USSR will DoW you if you reject their claims on Bessarabia.

Last edited:
Romania, one of my favorite nations to play as. They have so much potential its crazy. My best game was conqering the majority of the Balkans (western coast and southern peninsula of Greece was Italian as well as Albania, and north-western Yugoslavia was German) and then taking the southern half of the Ukraine and the entire caucasus mountains to a couple miles north of Stalingrad. A really good force I found was 1 Light Armour by 2 Motorised Infantry by 1 Motorized Anti-tanks divisions, if you can get them up early enough.

I myself had thought of doing a Romanian AAR, but I could just never sit down to write about some of my crazy games with them :D
I'll be watching. Good luck.

Edit: Woot! 2000 post! :p

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have played Romania a few times. In FTM, if you join the Axis before Hungary does, Hungary will get a big negative modifier to join the Axis, -9 I believe? This is what I typically do to stop Hungary from joining the Axis and claiming my land.