• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That just doesn't work out statistically. I can't read computer code, and I don't have numbers to back it up, but it happens in EVERY game.

Look at the AI nation in question's infamy. I guarantee you that it is low. They attack other nations, but alot of those they have cores on, and alot of them they have free CB's on. They AI get's random CB's on nations, same as the human player does. Ever see France attack Portugal out of the blue for some random colony? Probably had a free Place in the Sun CB.

The AI doesn't "hate" the human player. If you play like the AI, you will have allies like the AI. The fact of the matter has always been that a human player seeks AI allies to become meat shields for them to pick on a nation stronger than themselves. A human player starts a war trying to exploit their German AI ally, dragging it into devastating wars on the Euro continent just so the human player doesn't have to fight France's massive army in North America. Then we laugh as we plan to screw them in a peace deal all along. Then we ditch them the first time Great Britain attacks because we don't have the infamy to take a slice of Canada, or the strength to take the lead in negotiations (thus knowing the AI will screw us in a peace deal, Surprise!), or the will power to stand up and fight a costly war for nothing other than to honor our alliance.

In short, 99% of the time, a human player wants allies to be offensive war meat shields, with never a gain to be had. And we get mad when the AI refuses to cooperate. I really think that the game needs a war goal "market place" of sorts. Basically a black market where you can shop war goals with other nations to find countries to go to war with. Playing as GB and want Normandy from France? Great, go to the black market and see what other Great Power wants a piece of France and viola! the new anti-France coalition is born and off you go. Playing as France and suspecting GB wants Normandy? Shop around and find a GP that wouldn't mind a piece of GB and form a defensive alliance with them in the event of an attack by GB. Sure it may end up with some confusing alliances, but last time I checked, the sides in WW1 weren't exactly clear cut before the first shots starting flying around.

If you think about it, having the biggest and most complex alliance system possible while allowing for incredibly devastating unintended (and sometimes absurd) consequences sort of fits the time period like a glove.

I had a pretty surreal experience playing a game as Korea recently. I had civilized, gotten secondary status, and had made protectorates out of Atjeh, Brunei, Dai Nam, Cambodia, and Nejd. I noticed the Russians had declared on Mecca (forget the country's name), and to beat them to the punch, I declared on them too and annexed it also. I wanted these territories because they had wool which was always popping up short on the global market, despite my 4th place prestige.

Anyhow I knew going in that I was going to be going over 25 badboy, but I thought it would be fun to try, I hit around 27 after that declare. What happened next is this. Japan declares on me for containment, and seeing that their armies were the same size as mine, I figure why not just sue for peace and give them containment, building back up in 5 years. I needed more modern units anyway.

Next Netherlands declares on me dragging in the UK and Ottomans, also requiring containment. I can see that I'm at a loss but I'll take 5 years of truce with the UK in this spot, so I take the peace offer. I'm triple contained now, I have 7 brigades left and no navy, and probably worst of all am down 75 prestige (but still in 4th/5th).

Five years later I'm rebuilding my armies. I'm trying to make guards but can't get the resources I need so I'm left with unstarted production and am not really fixing it quick enough. Ottomans take their chances and declare, demanding Nejd. I'm completely beat, and I'm forced to retreat off the Arabian peninsula while I lick my wounds, but I'm determined not to give up territory.

What happens next makes me laugh, but I'm sure there's a logic to it. USA is the #3 power and the Ottomans are #8. I have been sending them diplomats, and they and are the closest to sphering me. I haven't been able to ask for an alliance. But they intervene in the war anyway, and pretty soon, without me having to engage a single unit, they've blockaded them everywhere and have taken over as war leader, winning the status quo without me having to fight a single winning battle. As a result, the Ottomans are kicked off the GP list and I cling on to second power status.

I joke about it that they sent in the marines for me. Looked like a 19th century world police action, haha. But I'm sure the AI had its logic for wanting to help me. If you can arrange the settings where the AI will want to help... not that I know how... they will.