+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trials of Orabilia MacDuib - A Beta AAR

Crusader Kings IISengokuVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

It's a great AAR and really loving how the game is coming.

I would say though that I'd love to see more children portraits, as well as have some young adult, middle age, and then older portraits. Going from child to middle age portrait sort of throws me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegsspieler View Post
    I used a little literary embellishment there. I think the reason she ended up with the title was 1) because of his highly favorable opinion of her and 2) because she held titles to all three counties. Obviously only the developers could say for sure.
    I understand that you embellished it a bit. But yes, I would love to know the reasons why the AI decided to give you those titles anyway

Also, please keep making more good mini-AARs so that Paradox makes them public
    I went to OT forum and all I got was this louzy sig.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisHoi 2 BetaEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzezze View Post
    I understand that you embellished it a bit. But yes, I would love to know the reasons why the AI decided to give you those titles anyway
    Well, along with the factors I cited don't forget that the King was granting the ducal title to his sister-in-law. We might suppose that too counted for something.
    But only Doomdark or one of the other developers could say for sure.
    HOI2, HOI3, Semper Fi, For the Motherland: Dirigierender Chefredakteur, Buchhalter der Rohstoffe
    Victoria - Revolutions: Fabrikknecht
    EU3: Reichskanzler
    Pride of Nations: Staatssekretär des Kolonialamtes
    CK2: Ausgebildeter (!) Lehrling

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frezzin View Post
    It's a great AAR and really loving how the game is coming.

I would say though that I'd love to see more children portraits, as well as have some young adult, middle age, and then older portraits. Going from child to middle age portrait sort of throws me.
    The first dev diary, while old, said the portraits would age.
    Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. -Isa 41:10

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
    -------------------------------

My machine specs: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon HD6870 with 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit

This is awesome! Release it already!!

Europa Universalis 3

This is very nice. But I confess to one worry. Suppose I am playing a larger realm, perhaps even a kingdom. If I have to manage this level of intrigue and character planning for my entire court, wouldn't it get to be overwhelming after a while?

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold War

Quote Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
    This is very nice. But I confess to one worry. Suppose I am playing a larger realm, perhaps even a kingdom. If I have to manage this level of intrigue and character planning for my entire court, wouldn't it get to be overwhelming after a while?
    That's a good question, and I can't say I know the answer. But really, if you look over the AAR, there isn't that much intrigue. The mother raided the treasury, because Mom was also Spymaster there was no one to report on plots -- apart from that, there was not so much intrigue to contend with. So at this point in development I can say it doesn't feel too burdensome. But then again, I haven't spent a lot of time playing as the HRE!

If this issue emerges at all, it will undoubtedly be a game-balance thing that can be tweaked.
    HOI2, HOI3, Semper Fi, For the Motherland: Dirigierender Chefredakteur, Buchhalter der Rohstoffe

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
    The first dev diary, while old, said the portraits would age.
    The characters have three portraits: child, young, and old. Which means that on your birthday you go from looking like you did when you were 20 to looking like you will when you're 80. It's better then CK1, but actual aging so a 35-year-old looks different then an 18-year-old would be even nicer.

The AAR is short, but since Orabilia was born in 1080, and the AAR ends in at least 1111 (two years of war after her claims were forged in 1109), there're 30 years of gameplay here.

As a Count-level character you probably won't have enough intrigue to deal with, unless (unlike our heroine) you have multiple Baron-vassals. That is, after all, why Baron-level characters were added, but made unplayable. If you try to blob as Emperor of all Europe you'll probably be overwhelmed, but that's WAD.

But if you're just playing France you'll be fine.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by eliphas8 View Post
    This is looking good, I hope its continued.
    No, unfortunately it won't be continued. Maybe someone can publish a longer narrative sometime.

EDIT: Actually, I did continue playing for another 20 years of game time, but then encountered a bug that kind of spoiled the story. That's the problem with beta AARs -- they're written on the beta version of the game!
    Never fear, though. The game is already lots of fun and there are still two months to go to make it better!
    Last edited by Kriegsspieler; 15-11-2011 at 17:40.

Crusader Kings IISengokuVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Nick B II View Post
    The characters have three portraits: child, young, and old. Which means that on your birthday you go from looking like you did when you were 20 to looking like you will when you're 80. It's better then CK1, but actual aging so a 35-year-old looks different then an 18-year-old would be even nicer.
    Yeah that was my point. I'd like to have seen an additional "young-adult" portrait as well. I don't mind the jump from looking in your thirties to the older portrait so much, but going from kid to 30-something is a bit jarring. But yes, still MUCH better than CK1. It's just an idea

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

There are three portrait age levels plus the generic child portrait.

Paradox Code Kitteh Paradox Dev Team podcat's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The characters have three portraits: child, young, and old.
    thats not correct. there is one more. child, young, middle aged(30) and old(50).
    Reject reason to make the impossible possible!

I love the AAR. Very well written, my compliments.

I wouldn't mind a few more screenies though.

I had the same in the original CK, while managing large realms.

It got very stressful until I realized that as a king, I can't be on top of every little thing or take hours weighing every option. Some things are just out of my control.

I don;t mind it. That's a part of being a king.
    Last edited by Maizel; 15-11-2011 at 20:00.

Crusader Kings IICK2: Holy Knight500k club

More like this!

And please add an AAR sticky to the top of the forum, so we know where to find them

Quote Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
    I wouldn't mind a few more screenies though.
    Me too. But I was near the limit of my quota, and deleting screenies is a really tedious process on this forum. Unless there's a more efficient way to do it that I haven't discovered yet.

Is this going to be like CKI in the sense that when you got a title that was higher than the one you had (e.g. count appointed duke), you have to save and reload? Or are tag/title changes handled better?

Quote Originally Posted by enf91 View Post
    Is this going to be like CKI in the sense that when you got a title that was higher than the one you had (e.g. count appointed duke), you have to save and reload? Or are tag/title changes handled better?
    No, that has not been an issue.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Chance to make a family of lunatic, hedonistic psychopaths?

The possibilities...
    Nationality - American
    Ethnicity - American
    Religion - Sikh
    Political Ideology - Anti-Communist, Raj America

Quote Originally Posted by IconOfEvi View Post
    Chance to make a family of lunatic, hedonistic psychopaths?

The possibilities...
    This is where modding has real possibilities. You could create a dark, dark version of the Middle Ages with enough imagination!

Crusader Kings IICK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Kriegsspieler View Post
    This is where modding has real possibilities. You could create a dark, dark version of the Middle Ages with enough imagination!
    Middle ages were pretty dark already!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast