• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's a great AAR and really loving how the game is coming.

I would say though that I'd love to see more children portraits, as well as have some young adult, middle age, and then older portraits. Going from child to middle age portrait sort of throws me.

I used a little literary embellishment there. I think the reason she ended up with the title was 1) because of his highly favorable opinion of her and 2) because she held titles to all three counties. Obviously only the developers could say for sure.

I understand that you embellished it a bit. But yes, I would love to know the reasons why the AI decided to give you those titles anyway ;)

Also, please keep making more good mini-AARs so that Paradox makes them public ;) :)

I understand that you embellished it a bit. But yes, I would love to know the reasons why the AI decided to give you those titles anyway ;)
Well, along with the factors I cited don't forget that the King was granting the ducal title to his sister-in-law. We might suppose that too counted for something.
But only Doomdark or one of the other developers could say for sure.

It's a great AAR and really loving how the game is coming.

I would say though that I'd love to see more children portraits, as well as have some young adult, middle age, and then older portraits. Going from child to middle age portrait sort of throws me.

The first dev diary, while old, said the portraits would age.

This is very nice. But I confess to one worry. Suppose I am playing a larger realm, perhaps even a kingdom. If I have to manage this level of intrigue and character planning for my entire court, wouldn't it get to be overwhelming after a while?
That's a good question, and I can't say I know the answer. But really, if you look over the AAR, there isn't that much intrigue. The mother raided the treasury, because Mom was also Spymaster there was no one to report on plots -- apart from that, there was not so much intrigue to contend with. So at this point in development I can say it doesn't feel too burdensome. But then again, I haven't spent a lot of time playing as the HRE! :D

If this issue emerges at all, it will undoubtedly be a game-balance thing that can be tweaked.

The first dev diary, while old, said the portraits would age.

The characters have three portraits: child, young, and old. Which means that on your birthday you go from looking like you did when you were 20 to looking like you will when you're 80. It's better then CK1, but actual aging so a 35-year-old looks different then an 18-year-old would be even nicer.

This is very nice. But I confess to one worry. Suppose I am playing a larger realm, perhaps even a kingdom. If I have to manage this level of intrigue and character planning for my entire court, wouldn't it get to be overwhelming after a while?

The AAR is short, but since Orabilia was born in 1080, and the AAR ends in at least 1111 (two years of war after her claims were forged in 1109), there're 30 years of gameplay here.

As a Count-level character you probably won't have enough intrigue to deal with, unless (unlike our heroine) you have multiple Baron-vassals. That is, after all, why Baron-level characters were added, but made unplayable. If you try to blob as Emperor of all Europe you'll probably be overwhelmed, but that's WAD.

But if you're just playing France you'll be fine.

Nick

This is looking good, I hope its continued.
No, unfortunately it won't be continued. Maybe someone can publish a longer narrative sometime.

EDIT: Actually, I did continue playing for another 20 years of game time, but then encountered a bug that kind of spoiled the story. That's the problem with beta AARs -- they're written on the beta version of the game! :D
Never fear, though. The game is already lots of fun and there are still two months to go to make it better!

Last edited:
The characters have three portraits: child, young, and old. Which means that on your birthday you go from looking like you did when you were 20 to looking like you will when you're 80. It's better then CK1, but actual aging so a 35-year-old looks different then an 18-year-old would be even nicer.

Yeah that was my point. I'd like to have seen an additional "young-adult" portrait as well. I don't mind the jump from looking in your thirties to the older portrait so much, but going from kid to 30-something is a bit jarring. But yes, still MUCH better than CK1. It's just an idea :)

There are three portrait age levels plus the generic child portrait.

The characters have three portraits: child, young, and old.

thats not correct. there is one more. child, young, middle aged(30) and old(50).

I love the AAR. Very well written, my compliments.

I wouldn't mind a few more screenies though. :D

I had the same in the original CK, while managing large realms.

It got very stressful until I realized that as a king, I can't be on top of every little thing or take hours weighing every option. Some things are just out of my control.

I don;t mind it. That's a part of being a king.

Last edited:
Is this going to be like CKI in the sense that when you got a title that was higher than the one you had (e.g. count appointed duke), you have to save and reload? Or are tag/title changes handled better?

Is this going to be like CKI in the sense that when you got a title that was higher than the one you had (e.g. count appointed duke), you have to save and reload? Or are tag/title changes handled better?
No, that has not been an issue.