+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trials of Orabilia MacDuib - A Beta AAR

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisHoi 2 BetaEuropa Universalis IV

The Trials of Orabilia MacDuib - A Beta AAR

The Trials of Orabilia MacDuib

Orabilia MacDuib was born in January 1080, the daughter of Causantin MacDuib, the Earl of Fife and Ethelreda of Dunbar, the daughter of Gospatrick, the duke of Lothian. When young Orabilia was a mere four years old, her father died of a sudden attack of pneumonia at the end of January, 1084. The little girl, who did not possess the healthiest constitution in the world to begin with (health 4.0), faced the formidable task of learning to be a countess from a very young age. Her mother Ethelreda became regent and almost immediately remarried, choosing Malise de St. Andrews, a prominent soldier in the county.

After the shocking loss of her father, things appeared to settle down for young Orabilia for several years. Improvements were gradually made to the castle of Cupar, the cathedral of St. Andrews, and the town of Dumfernline as often as money allowed, and together mother and daughter laid plans to take control of the Duchy of Lothian by concocting claims to the counties of Lothian, Dunbar, and Teviotdale. To this end, they dispatched their Chancellor, David of Dumfernline, to Dunbar to “locate” the appropriate proofs for her claim.

All appeared to be going well, but as Orabilia’s family, which included her younger sister Der-Ilei and two half-brothers from her mother’s second marriage, were preparing to celebrate the Yuletide season in 1089, Orabilia received the shocking news that her mother had used her sposition as Regent to embezzle funds from Fife’s meager resources. This crime could not be overlooked, yet because she was the Regent her mother could not be imprisoned. To make matters worse, mother Ethelreda was also the Spymaster of Fife, which made her the principal source of news about plots against the young Countess. Helpless until she attained her majority and in fear for her very life, Orabilia was forced to wait – and learn. Never again would she trust her mother as she had previously.

More tribulations followed. Shortly after the discovery of her mother’s treachery, Orabilia’s venerated guardian, King Malcolm III of Scotland, died at the comparatively young age of 49, and was succeeded by his son Duncan. At this juncture, Orabilia was the beneficiary of good fortune, for Duncan agreed to continue the young Countess’s education. Moreover, after a few years Duncan renewed his father’s custom of hosting an annual New Year’s feast, a celebration which coincided with Orabilia’s birthday and helped to boost her prestige throughout the Kingdom.

While spending time at the royal court, Orabilia also became friends with Malcolm, Duncan’s young son and the heir to the Scottish throne, a connection that would prove decisive for her later fortunes.

As Orabilia entered puberty and approached her age of majority and liberation from her mother’s regency, she discovered that she was not at all attracted to boys and men, preferring instead the company of girls. This inclination could have serious consequences for her ability to marry and produce an heir.

Despite her own feelings, Orabilia was well schooled in her responsibilities, and so she resolved to begin searching for a husband. When she turned 16 in January of 1096 and became Countess of Fife in her own right, her first act was to imprison her deceitful mother. Orabilia also chose for her husband Donnchard, from the Irish house of Ua Ruairc, a virile man who also brought to the marriage a wealth of personal qualities that would benefit the county of Fife. The marriage between Orabilia and Donnchard was a matrilineal marriage, which meant that their children, should there be any, would be permitted to succeed their mother to the title. Immediately after exchanging their vows, Donchard was appointed to the important post of Chancellor of Fife.

Yet the dynasty was still insecure, for Orabilia’s younger sister Der-Ilei, the only heir at that point in time, had contracted a dangerous case of measles, and her life hung in the balance. Given Orabilia’s uncertain ability to produce an heir, the situation was hazardous indeed. Luckily Der-Ilei recovered after a couple of months, offering some hope for stability. Moreover, as things turned out over the next several years, Orabilia was not quite as disinclined toward men as those around her had feared. In February of 1097, she gave birth to a healthy little girl, also named Orabilia. A son, Donald, succeeded as heir in 1100, and a second daughter, Ethelreda, was born in 1102. With the line of succession thus secured, Orabilia cemented the alliance between her family and the ruling house of Dunkeld by arranging a marriage between her sister Der-Ilei and her old companion Malcolm, who had succeeded his father on the Scottish throne in 1094.

Orabilia now turned her attention to the project of enlarging her demesne. As it had been since a she was a young girl, her ambition was to secure control of the Duchy of Lothian. Thanks in part to the diplomatic skills of her husband Donnchard, the plan to fabricate claims for all three counties had succeeded by the time the year 1109 was drawing to a close. Forging the necessary documents had proven expensive, however, and a war of conquest for the counties Orabilia coveted would require the aid of a mercenary army, which she could not yet afford. So, as she had seemingly done for her entire life, Orabilia was forced once again to wait patiently for her opportunity.

This time, for once, Orabilia’s chance was not long in coming, and it arrived in the guise of an old and trusted friend. Shortly after she had gathered the necessary documents for laying claim to the counties she coveted, the duchy of Lothian became the center of a bitter and complicated dispute between the Dukes of Hereford and Lothian, a struggle in which the Earl of Clydesdale also took a hand. After dragging on for more than two years, the tables were dramatically turned by the entry of Orabilia’s old friend and brother-in-law, Malcolm IV, the King of Scotland. Malcolm's armies drove warring parties out of Lothian, whereupon he deposed the previous Duke and awarded the title to Orabilia.

All in all, it had been a perilous path to power for our heroine, but certainly not an uninteresting one!
    HOI2, HOI3, Semper Fi, For the Motherland: Dirigierender Chefredakteur, Buchhalter der Rohstoffe
    Victoria - Revolutions: Fabrikknecht
    EU3: Reichskanzler
    Pride of Nations: Staatssekretär des Kolonialamtes
    CK2: Ausgebildeter (!) Lehrling

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    And the pictures are here..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 5.png‎
Views:	12290
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	42603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 3.png‎
Views:	13137
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	42604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.png‎
Views:	64946
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	42605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 4.png‎
Views:	12795
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	42606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2.png‎
Views:	12933
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	42607  

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Hope you enjoy this.. There will be more in the future..

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Wooohooooo! Starting to read right now! Many many thanks.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Poor girl lost both father and mother to an ill fate. But ultimately succesful.
    The game seems to be what CKI wanted to be, but did not completely attain. Looking good.

Esben

Crusader Kings IISengokuVictoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

"This character is a bit queer..." - LMAO Ah I love the witty ones...

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesVictoria 2

Extremely interesting, game is shaping up very well.. But how that friendship is presented in the game?

Showing the strength of the narrative like this is really nice.
    Looking forward to more.

Euro-centric Diplomat Negru Voda's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

I just realized that the courtiers on the map probably look like their portraits (if not, then my bad)
    ~My old signature took up too much space, so I made this one.

~P.S: You're wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    Hope you enjoy this.. There will be more in the future..
    I want more little AARs like this one, but can we also get a big one around christmas?

I have some questions though. I see that the player's character forged claims to the titles.
    Was that one of the reasons why the King gave the title to her? Or was it because of their friendship? Or did the AI use both of those things in its decision?

And finally, if the King was human, would he be alerted that a vassal friend had a claim on one of his recently acquired lands?
    I went to OT forum and all I got was this louzy sig.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDungeonlandEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses500k club

Thumbs up

OH YES! Just saw this on Facebook, keep 'em coming!

Game looks really classy and polished. The city structures and map items look a bit weird on the Duchies mapmode, like they're floating in the air or something.

After being bombarded with these CK2 screenies I'm now a convert to the physical mapmode, looks way better than the political mode and sets the atmosphere nicely (highlands in Scotland, for example) Very useful for narratives. Like the coordinates on the map but I guess that's only in the developer\debug version.

Post-puberty Orabilia looks nothing at all like the kid she once was, or maybe it's just me.

Good stuff!

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisHoi 2 BetaEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzezze View Post
    I want more little AARs like this one, but can we also get a big one around christmas?

I have some questions though. I see that the player's character forged claims to the titles.
    Was that one of the reasons why the King gave the title to her? Or was it because of their friendship? Or did the AI use both of those things in its decision?
    I used a little literary embellishment there. I think the reason she ended up with the title was 1) because of his highly favorable opinion of her and 2) because she held titles to all three counties. Obviously only the developers could say for sure.

By the way, I too like the configuartion of the map and its various interfaces, although I must confess that I have never felt completely happy with the giant figures of the on-map advisors, which you see in the first screenie.

EDIT: Thanks for the compliment about the narrative. I am not a big wirter of AARs -- I've written maybe 4 in my entire life, and two of those were pre-release "demos" for HOI3 and Semper Fi. But I had been intrigued by that little AAR that Johan posted a few days ago, and I also saw that this character's story was pretty compelling as I was playing the most recent beta version. That is undoubtedly the strength of CK2 - the characters can really draw you in.
    Last edited by Kriegsspieler; 15-11-2011 at 15:37.
    HOI2, HOI3, Semper Fi, For the Motherland: Dirigierender Chefredakteur, Buchhalter der Rohstoffe
    Victoria - Revolutions: Fabrikknecht
    EU3: Reichskanzler
    Pride of Nations: Staatssekretär des Kolonialamtes
    CK2: Ausgebildeter (!) Lehrling

Quote Originally Posted by BRK View Post
    Post-puberty Orabilia looks nothing at all like the kid she once was, or maybe it's just me.
    There are only two universal kid portraits. One for girls, one for boys.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

So... Awesome... It's all i want
    Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. - Murphy's law

The Dream of Dumbarton Watch the rebirth of Strathclyde in my first AAR!

Best Character Writer of the Week: 3/2/13 Fan of the week: 1/6/13

"Fear not what will be, fear what has already come to pass"

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

More!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

This is looking good, I hope its continued.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDungeonlandEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Warlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Romtos View Post
    There are only two universal kid portraits. One for girls, one for boys.
    Ah, okay. Guess I got caught up in the flow and am expecting unrealistic stuff!

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

I love this little AAR's keep them coming.
    The Eternal State - a DH-KR Ottoman AAR - Dropped due to health reasons

Struggle for the Mediterranean - a BOR Punic War MP AAR
    - Dropped due to AGEOD leaving Paradox

One of these days I will actually finish an AAR

"Holy Roman Empire. Neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. But it doesn't have any oil so no reason for military intervention" -Voltaire.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLegioMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Negru Voda View Post
    I just realized that the courtiers on the map probably look like their portraits (if not, then my bad)
    They don't. That would require a lot more modeling than what's called for. They're just standard sprites, much like the ones in Medieval II:Total War.
    Most supporters of the Oslo Accords insisted that this agreement would solve all existing problems.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Heir to the ThroneThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

My plotting fingers are itching...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast