• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dr_Quin

Tzar of Vitosha
3 Badges
Apr 15, 2009
forum.vitosha.one
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • 500k Club
Eastern Tales: Bulgarian AAR (681- 698) [Steppe Wolf]

easterntales.png

~Eastern Tales: Bulgarian AAR (Steppe Wolf mod)~

Prelude

Once the powerful horde of Old Great Bulgaria is on the edge of disappearance under the strikes of Khazarian Khaganate. While the founder of Old Great Bulgaria - Khan Kubrat was smart diplomat and fearless warrior the time were changing. The great migration was the reason for his country to appear and it seems it would be the reason for disappearing.

In his early years he were sent to Constantinople where he live in the Imperial court and was secretly baptised into Christianity. Later on he came back to Scythia, while it was ruled by the mighty Avarian Khaganate. Years has passed and finally not so young Kubrat get the opportunity to change his and European fate for thousands of years!

The Avarian Khaganate got into decline and Kubrat seize the opportunity....with all Eastern provinces of the Avars. Then he proclaim himself Khan and got into alliance with Byzantine Empire. As good and loyal friend of Byzantines he was proclaimed for "Patrician", title gaven to not Byzantian for the first and last time.

Years has passed, but Khan kubrat started to felt the pressure fo time and Khazars. He has many sons - Bat Bayan, Kotrag, Asparuh, Kuber and Altzek. The time for him to join the God of Skies - Tengri had come and he sent to call his sons.

When they come to their dying father he gave to each of them one stick and said:
- I ask you each one of you, to break the stick. - and they did so. Then he rope several sticks together and gave them to his sons asking them to break it. They eventually did it and his father said:
- It is easier to break one stick, but even for you - young and strong men is hard to break the pack of sticks. If you not unite in rulling the state, you will fall under the strikes of our enemies! After this words The old Khan joined Tengri in the skies.

1409593-Kubrat-1.jpg

Shortly after his death his sons separated from each other getting one Bulgarian tribe. Only the Oldest - Bat Bayan stayed in the cpital Fanagoria. Not long after this Khazarian Hordes came into his lands. The young Khan experienced his first and last defeat and were turned into puppet state on the borders of Khazars. Mean while his brothers were migrating to safer places. But were there any safe place in Europe at all?

Kotrag and his people went at North where he found Volga Bulgaria, accepting Khazars as his overlords, until 10 century when Volga Bulgaria proclaimed its independence.

Kuber went with his people in Panonia and accepted Avarian khagan as his overlord. However several years later he tried to make coup and to make Bulgarians the reigning faction, but he failed and was forced to escape in Byzantine Empire in modern day Republic of Macedonia (FYROM). He didn't found any state, but became Byzantian federati.

Altzek and his people went to Frankish kingdom where they were granted lands. However one night the cruel king Dagobert I ordered the executions of his Bulgarian guests. Only 900 people manage to escape with their Khan and they found safe heaven in Benevento Italy, where they mixed with the local population.

Old Great Bulgaria remain on the political map until the late 680 AD when it was eventually destroyed by Khazars.

oldgreatbulgaria.png

But does the testament of Khan Kubrat were forgotten? Did the fate of Bulgaria were in the hands of Kuber and his Volga Bulgaria? Well one Bulgarian state is never enough! So we might have to look at the summer of 681 AD when the small horde of Khan Asparuh crossed the Danube river at its delta and went to the region called Onglus. Byzantians wasn't quite happy for getting new neighbors. In fact The emperor Constantine IV decided to take a trip to Danube with his 40 000 closest friends...

[video=youtube;JoGuSGdkENA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoGuSGdkENA[/video]​

However they wasn't such a good swimmers...

to be continued...

Last edited:
Prelude Part II

After several days of battles in the area of Onglos The Byzantine emperor Constantine IV decided that the best moment to heal his "ill foot". Historians can't call this fear, but emperor soldiers did so...

[video=youtube;IyJ5vsL_u1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyJ5vsL_u1o&feature=related[/video]​

After the emperor leave his soldiers Bulgarians token the victory and most of his soldiers. Later on the Byzantine empire were forced to recognize Bulgaria as independent state. However Bulgarians were always ready for an attack from The Romans. But the history had its own idea about what future will brings to each of us.

danubebulgaria681.png

Khazars - the old Bulgarian enemy look at the foundation of the Danube Bulgaria as great opportunity to expand their khaganate at South. In the same time Avars were looking for any weak neighbors which they could join to their powerful horde. In fact Danube Bulgarian were in very delicate position. First of all - founded over traditional Roman territories, so that the Byzantine attack were only matter of time. On the other hand wars on the two front is a lost war...as the generals of the dictator Adolf Hitler would say to him in 1941.

However at this time the peace wasn't something which depends on Bulgarians. Their only hope were victory and hard work in order to save their lands from hostile neighbors. But what if they fail? Inf act is there any chance for them to survive? You will found out in the next post...

Last edited:
Chapter I: Fighting with the two dogs.

Chapter I: Fighting with the two dogs.

While appearing on the political scene Bulgarian khanate wasn't welcomed warmly. Most of its territory were part of Byzantine province of Moesia (Misia), but the other neighbors of the new state decided that they could win new territories. While Khazars were the reasons for defeat of Old Great Bulgaria, they were like a muppet doll compared to Avarian Khaganate. So Khan Asparuh leads his small but fast horde army from Crimea to Panonia. His 10 000 cavalry would split near the Avarian fortress of Chishinau with sieging 8 000 army.

eu32p.png

While 10 000 horsemen are enough to defeat Slavic or German tribe they are a far away from enough against 20 000 cavalry of Avars. But Avars are in a war with Slavic tribes, the duchy of Bavaria and the Byzantine Empire. While their army were on West Asparuh decided to take advantage and one province. His cavalry were now free to act at East against Khazarian Khaganate.

For legitimacy and stability purpose the young Khan made several marriages and one important alliance.

eu33i.png

The Khan was talented in governance of the state and sensed that the most dangerous enemy is not outside his borders, bot in fact very close to him. One of his chief shamans was trying to revolt against him. So the Khan outrun him and proclaimed that his state would be more centralized. The answer was immediate....

eu34a.png

Khan Asparuh passed by the castle of Vidin with his cavalry and ambushed the rebel army of the Chief shaman. But there were no time for relax and the next destination were the Steppes of Eastern Europe. A Steppes for which you might listened some mild tales, while the reality were much more rough. Caspian Sea was called from ancient times "The gate of nations" and if you are close to it you might get under the hoofs of the hordes.

eu37n.png

Finally in November, just before the great snow Bulgarian cavalry met parts of Khazarian army. Between Azov coast and the castle of Rostov two armies clash in battle. However Bulgarian army were bigger and soon they all are killed. The revenge for defeat of Great Old Bulgaria is fact. The hovering question is whether Bulgarians will return their legendary old capital - the city of Fanagoria.

eu38d.png

Soon Khan Asparuh receives message from Khagan of Khazars which appears to be the peace offer. It is very tempting while you are on two fronts war to close one of the "opened doors" as quickly as possible. But there were legacy to be claimed from the Khazars. So The Khan declined the offer and moved his Cavalry to the east in pursuit of another Khazarian army.

eu39s.png

The 682 year passed in battles within Khazarian territories. While Khazarian Khaganate had bigger armies, they were splited in many small groups. So the Bulgarian strategy was Blitzkrieg - fast and focused strikes until destruction of enemy armies. This strategy gave very good result, so that until the next summer of August 683, Bulgarian army were already ocuupied 2 provinces with Proto Bulgarians (people from Old Great bulgaria) and were on heir way to occupy the Hole Crimea. The gate to Fanagoria were so close....and so far, as Strait of Kerch was blocked by 18 ships fleet.

eu310.png

Several months later the Khan gets gift from stranger. the gift is interesting book "All Quite on the western front", however the Khan is too busy so he got good news from the Western front....

eu311e.png

However the Fortuna is woman in all senses and soon bad news came from the western front - Avars signed peace treaty with the Duchy of Bavaria. Because of this war Avarian army were busy and not able to hold our armies in the Carpatian mountains.

eu312w.png

Three weeks later Khan Asparuh sent to the Avarian Khagan offer for peace treaty, which is accepted. The best news is that in the last moment Bulgarians manage to take over fortress of Chisinau.

eu313.png

Last edited:
Very good start! I can't wait to see how this develops! Do you have any specific plans for expansion?

I have a question though, I noticed some things in your interface are different from mine when playing Steppewolf, like the trader and infamy icons as well as the coat of arms. Is that because of a new version of your mod?

Very good start! I can't wait to see how this develops! Do you have any specific plans for expansion?

I have a question though, I noticed some things in your interface are different from mine when playing Steppewolf, like the trader and infamy icons as well as the coat of arms. Is that because of a new version of your mod?

I play different (you can call it special) version of the mod. The version that i played is pasted in the EU III game directory, not as a mod. So I have many more abilities with which I can experiment. For example I'm playing with the shield from minefield flags mod and using EU 3 Factions mod, so that almost all medium sized country is using it. However such version would be break of copyrights and many modders won't agree on their mods included in mine. So it is only for personal pleasure :D

My focus right now is to Weaken even more Khazarian Khaganate, but without getting borders with Pechenegs (they are Horde, so this would mean)> if I manage to free my hands for a while I would also seize Eastern provinces of Avarian Khaganate. However my main concern is Byzantine Empire, ok they haven't shown any signs for preparing war against me, but if they do so, they will destroy me. So I have to get at least twice bigger in order to protect myself.

Short Priorities
- Inherit the former territories of Old Great Bulgaria.
- Seize provinces from Avarian Khaganate.
- Block any attack from Byzantine Empire.

Chapter II: Back to the roots

Chapter II: Back to the roots

3 Months after the successful campaign in Avarian Khaganate hands of Khan Asparuh were finally free. Free to take back what was belonging to Bulgaria by right - Caspian fields. However it was almost the same for Khazarians, which made a peace offer. When the destiny gave you lemons, make lemonade! So did the young Khan and he asked Tivertzi tribe for military access by their territories.

eu315.png

Almost is not exactly, as there army was already destroyed by Bulgarians and while The Khan was gradually occupying Crimea and the proceed to the Eastern territories of Khazarian Khaganate. The picture for Khazars wasn't good at all - They were in same time in war with Umayyads at South and Slavic tribe of Radomirchi at North. It was the right time for destorying Khazarian power! The weapon this time were men, which came back to their roots and old homes. The colonists were in fact very successful.

eu316.png

However not everything was smooth inside the government of Bulgarian Khanate. The military faction, motivated by the recent success of Bulgarian weapon, tried to became even more significant for the state. The Khan wasn't sure which direction to take - weak Military faction means destruction of the state from outside powers. Strong military might mean the same, but destruction would came from inside. So Asparuh chosen to take military future in his hands.

eu317w.png

Soon the fruits of colonist adventure were facts - provinces after provinces with Proto Bulgarian culture came into the lap of mysterious Khanate. This was sign from above, God Tengri was behind politic of young state. As one thousand and three hundred years later the motto of the last Tzars would be " С нами Бог", translated as "God is with us". Which god is not so important...:laugh:

eu319.png

However the Khazarian Khagan is not ana easy going person and in fact a very skilful in tactics and strategies of wars. Taking into accounts that as Proto Bulgarians, as Khazarians Migrated from the Central Asia into Europe it wasn't so strange that they knew very good secrets of the Far East and China, including "Sun Tzu's "Art of War". So the Khazarian Khagan gave Khan Asparuh his last, big resistance near small castle of Tsarisyn.

eu321.png

Nothing changed much - Bulgarian army outnumbered and annihilated the smaller armies of Khazars. However the outbreak of the battle spread far away from Bulgarian borders, in fact at the other end of Europe. So the government of duchy of Domonia decided to send a latter of protest against Bulgaria. The Khan got more leather for his fireplace. Sometimes bad news warm us.

eu322.png

The war continued more any of the parties did expected. The Khan was always on the way, hurrying to and fro the capital city of Pliska and the fields of Caspian Sea. One day while he was expecting the soldiers a tired messenger came with big news. A heir was born! After a long consideration the Khan came with a name. A glorious name!

eu350g.png

If we focus on the names Presian or Presyan was an old Proto Bulgarian name. By Bulgar tradition (Bulgars is another name of Proto Bulgarians) names delivered by names of rivers, places, animals. However Presyan comes from "Прасе" - pig. Well thats were Bulgarians! They had fearful weapons, but funny way for making names.

In the early part of 691 year there were only one last stronghold, held by Khazarians. Virtually their power was destroyed and it was a matter of time to be brought on their knees.

eu362.png

Just an year later while the siege of the last enemy stronghold was in progress, very interesting news came to the camp of Khan Asparuh. On the one hand Avarian Khagan decided to alter a bit his government and proclaimed his self for a King and as such he promised that the endless war will stop. Secondly he wrote an charter with which he granted the existence of Bulgaria. Sometimes when you hate someone, you smoothly start to love him\her.

eu366.png

Breaking news came right from the capital city of Pliska. It seems someone put on fire the refuge quarter in the centre of the town, so that the whole city got on fire!

EU3_69.png

Just a month later the long Avarian-Byzantine war ended with the defeat of Avars. Situation for them was quite rough - in fact they were in peace with only one of their neighbours - Bulgarian Khanate. The multi front war lead to losing positions against Slavic Tribes. The next fail was Greco-Avarian war.

EU3_70.png

Strategy of the young Khan - Asparuh in the war against Khazars gave it fruits. The slowly absorbing of their province granted stability and new resources. However the time for new turn in political direction for Bulgarian Khanate came 2 years later in 695. The Khan finally raised the money he needed for the turn:

EU3_78.png

However nothing comes for free (well except for our mod) and the nobility didn't waste a time in giving their answer - dropped stability and lost prestige. However without risk their is no gain!

EU3_79.png

Last edited:
Chapter III: New horizons

Six months later Avars lost another war with their North-Eastborders with Slavic tribe of Poliani. Well, they should know what to expect from the war as name Poliani means people which came from fields. In fact name Poland, could mean the same thing.

EU3_83.png

The winter of 695 AD came with very good signs for Bulgaria, the population in occupied Khazarian provinces did like our government much more then the previous one! In fact Khazarian provinces gradually switch to our side with their local landlords.

EU3_84.jpg

Only fifteen days after the province of Sevastopol joined our Khanate, news from Khazarian capital came into the Khan's camp...excuse me news from the former capital and currently occupied by Bulgaria territory came:

EU3_85.png

In the zenyth of next year Spring, nobles gathered on convention and decided to awarded the state with significant sum. However while the military oriented Noble faction is in power so even the treasury of Ali Baba won't be useful at all...when you can't build.

EU3_86.png

Last edited:
2600 ducats from one event? Whoa

Code:
#########################################################
#		Gift to the state			#
#########################################################

country_event = {

id = 5008

is_triggered_only = yes

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 1

modifier = {
			factor = 2.0
			adm = 7
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 2.0
			luck = yes
		}
		modifier = {
			factor = 0.66
			badboy = 0.30
		}
	}

title = "EVTNAME5008"
	desc = "EVTDESC5008"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA5008"		# Put into the treasury
		ai_chance = { factor = 55 }
		years_of_income = 0.5
	}
	option = {
		name = "EVTOPTB5008"		# Gain prestige
		ai_chance = { factor = 45 }
		prestige = 0.01
	}

}

So the reason for 2600 ducats is that my profit is very high (years_of_income = 0.5).

Chapter III: New horizons, part II

Chapter III: New horizons, part II

One month after their recent defeat, the unhappy groups of Avarian society started revolution in quest for better future.

EU3_88.png

Interesting events form political life of Europe didn't stopped to Avarian revolution. Several days later, the tribe of Moors lost control over several provinces ruled by local nobles with Roman blood. The consequences were the independence of Rome...maybe we could reffer to this Rome as Rome in exile, while the holy city of Rome was under legal and justice control of Byzantine Empire.

EU3_89.png

However the end of the season of good news came to the end with the death of Khan Asparuh - the founder and leader of Bulgarian branch, west of Dneper River. However nobles ensured the security and safety of the young Khan, with regency.

EU3_90.png

In the Winter a messenger from Slavic tribe of Devliani came into the camp of our main general, letting him know, that in case of new war, started by Bulgaria Devliani will attack. Hyenas never attack strong animals, they wait for some weak moment. Bulgarian khanate was in regency, but still had its teeth.

EU3_95.png

In the summer of 698 AD Bulgarian domination over the sea of Azov was sealed with the last defection of Azovian province. The population of Azovian coast gradually switch from Khazarian to our side, something which the Bulgarian court accepted with joy.

EU3_101.png

However the world has its own balance and when you gain some skills you gain as consequences some disadvantages. Bigger state means more manpower, more soldiers, more taxes and bigger treasury....however the bigger ship is harder for navigation.

EU3_102.png

An year has passed, and we were still consuming provinces from the Khazarian Khaganate, formerly strong power, now dying state. The situation for their "brothers" on the West wasn't much better. the revolution came to each of their provinces, towns and villages. Brothers were fighting among each others and the foreign enemies just took advantage of the situation.

EU3_105.png

The noble factions continue its politic for remaining in power by huge gifts to the young khan.

eu3107l.png

However their efforts might go in vain as the young khan is very ill.

eu3108.png

However the trained Medicus didn't heal the young khan and he eventually died. However this event wasn't just a family drama, the young Khan Tervel was the last descent from the mystical Dulo house. So the powerful house of Dulo ended peacefully placing the bases of new powerful state.

eu3108.png

Last edited:
Chapter IV: The Khan is dead! Long live the Khan!

Chapter IV: The Khan is dead! Long live the Khan!

The house of Dulo extinct with the death of Khan Tervel, but Bulgarian khanate didn't end up with this tragic loss. Shortly after this loss the noble families started fight for the throne which eventually ended with Kaloian, the lord of Tarnovo seizing the throne. at this time Tarnovo were small stronghold situated in the hills and rounded by river. Tarnovo was the main city of border province of Tarnovo and the family behind it's castle was the house of Pagan. Shortly after the collapse of Great Old Bulgaria under the Khazarian Khaganate and Khan Asparuh departure Pagan take his tribe and followed the young Khan on the West.

eu3111.png

The new Khan Kaloian was stable chooice, because he had already a heir - tarkan Koloman. This gave great advantage of Khan Kaloian and he started to alter the domestic politic of the Khanate. The war with khazars were very successful, but to long. The only way to end this conflict were to reduce the power of nobility.

eu3114n.png

With the next year came the time for new direction. Khan Kaloian made his attempts to found any noble person in occupied Khazarian provinces, which would agree to take part in the peace offer.

eu3117.png

However the Khazars were so beaten by Bulgarian armies that they would accept anything they are offered.

eu3118.png

Three years of peace and treasury full of gold passed until Khan Kaloian manage to change the powers in the court, so that he could use this money for building the economy of new empire.

eu3123.png

However the peace was so fragile, that only five years later Khazars again declare war to Bulgarian Khanate. At first khan Kalioan didn't believe to the messengers. How it was possible for Khazars to raise a spear against Bulgatian armies.

eu3125.png

Soon after the second challenge from Khazars, another challenge just finished - Avarian-Polianian war ended with the defeat of Avars, hich lost many strategical provinces North from Danube river.

eu3130.png

Four long years Bulgarian armies were occupied Khazarian provinces and were busy at East. How ever the new territories were bordering another nomads - Magyars and Volga Bulgarians. Soon as Nomads they switch to war with Bulgarians . And while it wasn't big deal to war with Magyars, to fight against your brothers were very delicate situation.

eu3131.png

Two years later the cruel tribe of Poliani declare war to Bulgarian Khanate without any particular reason. while Bulgarian armies were busy at East, they were so motivated by the justice cause to defend their motherland, that they move from East to West only for several days.

eu3132.png

The war with Khazars were over, but this time Khan Kaloian take full advantage of his position and sign very harsh treaty with Khazars.

eu3133.png

Soon Magyars agreed on peace treaty as well. Poliani saw that they would feel the hole rage of Bulgarians.

eu3134.png

Soon after Magyars, Volga Bulgarians signed for peace, in there case as they were our brothers we signed very light peace.

eu3135.png

Last edited:
1. Mod is fleshing up even better than before, nice to see.
2. Movie was kinda fun, especially reading the Bulgarian subtitles :p
3. Too bad there's no way to simulate great migrations in EU, otherwise Magyars wouldn't be in the position they are.
4. Dulo went extinct, noooo! On the other hand, that probably means it's time to settle down properly.

Fun read and the mod (and especially your special version of it) look great. I don't know why more people aren't reading/commenting, but keep it up!

In your play, the one thing I wonder is why you haven't been chomping off bits of the Avars yourself. They seem like they've been easy targets for a while now, and you could expand without stretching yourself too far east.