• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1939 April 15th

Germany's entire starting army has been disbanded and replaced by paratroopers :

01_Start_units.png

Molotov–Ribbentrop is signed and Germany immediately attacks Poland

02_Poland_defeat.jpg

However, instead of the traditional regroup west and attack France. Germany's attention is to the south East. First Hungary :

03_Attack_hungary.jpg

Then Romania :

04_Attack_Romania.jpg

Then Bulgaria :

05_Attack_Bulgaria.jpg

Then Yugoslavia :

06_Yugoslavia_Gone.jpg

All the battles are done by dropping on to all victory points at once and support from neighboring provinces in areas with more resistance.

A bit more than a month gone and I count that as 5 countries down. So averaging just over a week per country.

Aren't you having some range issues? In FtM it seemed like they nerfed the range of Transport aircraft down to something like 675km.

hahahaha this is pretty hillarious, i'll be reading intently.

Unfortunately that rate is slowed as the allies manage some ambitious landings. Only 3 days after Yugoslavia falls the British invade!

07_UK_Landing1.jpg

In the Before troops can be gather to attack the british Greece falls. Leading to a slightly strange placement of "Germany" on the map :

08_Funny_Name.jpg

The british also launch an attack on the German coast line. While sending troops back north Denmark might as well be invaded :

09_UK_Landing2_and_denmark.jpg

France not wanting to be left out lands in Greece :

10_France_landing1.jpg

However once a perimeter can be established with and troops dropped all over the allied beach heads none of the invasions last long :

11_UK_Landing_Crushed.jpg

But that does not stop them trying again :

12_France_Landing2.jpg

Then when Germany's attention is turned to the north east :

13_Rush_east.jpg

British troops land for a third time :

14_UK_Landing3.jpg

The numbers are not anything to worry about as more paratroopers can easily be air-ferried in from across the continent :

Once the north-east has been tidied up :

15_Rush_east_complete.jpg

Germany's attention can finally face towards western Europe :)

12 weeks in and that is 10 countries down. Next one is a bit bigger though.

Aren't you having some range issues? In FtM it seemed like they nerfed the range of Transport aircraft down to something like 675km.

The ranges in Europe are fairly small. You can get all of Poland's VP from Germany's starting airfields. Then you use the airfields on the newly captured countries. Pick troops up from some other airfield rebase to the one closest to where you want to drop. From Hungary I could get all of Romania's VP but not quite surround them.

( Sorry for the lack of detail on France. I really meant to take more screens and provide a more detailed account, but I guess it was late last night and I was just a bit too entranced in getting my troops to keep jumping!)

Finally Germany was ready to attack France. The main blow was to surround and crush resistance around Paris. A second line to the east was formed to take VP and slow down the French troops rushing back from the borders to defend Paris.

Finally a loop was made to take more VP as far as possible avoiding jumping on to enemy troops and instead just grabbing strands of land.

16_France_Parisfalls.jpg

Fighter cover was provided from captured french airfields with air supply coming in. This also gave the French airfields enough fuel for transport planes to land and launch further drops.

17_One_more_jump.jpg

France falls 31st July 1939.

18_where_next.jpg

What is your air force composition?

I'd go for the British isles.

19_army_composition.png

Considerations for where to attack next.

1) What will give me the most manpower for the minimal effort. Ultimately manpower is going to decide how many divisions I can field and I suspect that against the soviets I will need as many as I can muster. ( Is suspect Italy will fall with minimal effort and give me a nice MP boost)
2) Quite a few of my divisions need a small amount of time to recover after France. (At the minimum they need to regain their Org.) However, I probably have enough ready for the low countries or Switzerland. (Or maybe even Spain / Sweden?!). So reasonable option is to kill some smaller countries while my weaker divisions (and some planes) recover.
3) Who might be a thorn in my side. While I would like to think I can take all of Europe before the Soviets start to bug me I might have to face them first if so who is the least likely to make annoying invasions or back stab me.

Lol ^^
an entiere army of paratroopers ... it's very effective against the AI!

I know quite a few MP games have lots of house rules around paratroopers. I suspect there they are still a little too good for what they can do. But OTOH I think against a good human player it would be very scary deploying a large number of paratroopers :

* Better garrisoning of airfields
* Better counter attacking of landing sites. (Including counter dropping their own paratroopers!!)

Even against the French AI I found a couple of places where I was close to over stretching myself. As per history if they work paratroopers are devastating. If you get it wrong then you can lose a lot of men very quickly.

remenber that when fghting GBR, if you take london the soviet union attacks

remenber that when fghting GBR, if you take london the soviet union attacks

Ah did not know that... (Not played that many Germany games in FtM and I typically leave the UK alone ). Can they attack even when under the first 6 months of Non Aggression pact? I still have two and a half months left of that which should be enough for mainland UK.

I just tried a UK invasion and it was going very well but got a crash :(

20_crashed_uk_invasion.jpg

I could try to recreate my moves but I think I will go for something different instead.

Fun stuff! Wow. :)

Renss

(So I went for a change of plan after the crash...)

With France out of the way Germany turns its attention to the remainder of mainland Europe. First switzerland :

21_attack_swiss.jpg

Then the low countries :

22_attack_belgium.jpg

(As Belgium and netherlands will no surrender due to the number of overseas VP I need to make sure I mop up all of their units. As such the attack is a little more conventional)

Compared to France the smaller countries offer little resistance :

23_swissdown.jpg

Spain however is big enough, and has enough troops to make it more than a one jump victory:

24_spain_wave_one.jpg

But a few more waves of paratroopers starts to do the trick :

25_spain_more_waves.jpg

27_spain_falls.jpg

With spain out of the way it is on to Portugal :

28_attack_portugal.jpg

A south African landing of several armoured divisions in Belgium causes a slight shock for the Germans :

29_SouthAfricanArmourLanding.jpg

Luckily there troops from the Iberian peninsula were free again and there were plenty more close to the landing sites in from the attack on the low countries. (Just finishing off the last pockets of dutch resistance.)

The 6th Allied landing is defeated quickly.

Germany's Attention is then on Italy. Again a big enough country for the battle to be slightly longer :

30_Attack_Italy.jpg

But with the fall of Rome and the remaining southern cities taken Italy like France falls back to its Colonies.

31_southern_italy_and_victory.jpg

The next obvious targets for German are Sweden :

32_Sweden.jpg

And Finland :

33_Finland.jpg

By the 22 October Germany has nearly taken all of Europe :

34_19391022.png

I count that as 20 Countries in just over 6 months...

Next :

* Finish up Europe.
* Head towards the middle east
* Take Suez Egypt but probably no further into Africa for a while (Less airfields if no other reason)
* Prepare lines for attack on Soviets.
* Attack into Asia and lengthen borders with Soviets.

Somebody asked about ranges. As I mentioned in Europe it really is not an issue :

26_ranges.jpg