• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Brandenburg III

A Smooth Operator
25 Badges
Jun 22, 2007
  • Lead and Gold
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • The Kings Crusade
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company Collection
  • Darkest Hour
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
A new icon, a new title, a new thread… What else could it mean but a new AAR? I guess it could mean that I was tired of my status at Paradox as an idler or I was bored spending my time wondering why I couldn't find my “soul mate” in an 18 year olds eyes… Why must they age? I tell them not to but they do it anyway. They’re so selfish!

Actually, this isn’t that kind of AAR. Its one of them sophistimicated gameplay types. You’ll get to see all the important events I come across, all revolution movements, military moves, construction… basically it’s a breakdown of the game much like I had accomplished with my Maintain the Monarchy edition in Victoria I. And since this is a direct rip off from my idea in Victoria, I’m going to hand down the same rules with a few exceptions.

The Rule Summary:

No cheating/reloading
No other government will be allowed to form
Cannot enact social reforms or laws
Play on Very Hard
If you want to suggest other rules/limitations then feel free.

The alterations I made from my past game are:

The difficulty in Victoria I was “Hard”
I permitted the allowance of other one party governments. For the sake of Victoria II, the Monarchy is the only government which will be allowed to remain. If my government is overthrown then its game over… as is the AAR.

Goals:

I’ll want to sphere China if only for the decision…
I’ll want to keep Germany from forming…
Balkanize Austria just for fun
Ottoman Empire, it was nice knowing you ;)
Greatest navy in the world
End as #1 in the world
Goals below were submitted by the peanut gallery
Release the Philippines as a Russian puppet
Free Manhattan and have them rule the Northeast
Take these golden provinces

Some Notes:

Ending as #1 as a major power may be easy for some but I don’t power game. I’m an impulsive player and if I feel like annexing Hawaii, then I’m going to annex Hawaii.

And sure, I wanted to wait for VIP and the latest patch but I don’t think either are going to happen for a while. Maybe I’ll try this again in another couple of years or maybe sooner with another country.

Expect an update about once a week. If I find some free time hopefully I’ll be able to do more. First update will be up sometime this weekend.

Chapter titles? Yeah, we’ll have them. Although this time I’ll use titles from any genre.

If you want to find my original Maintain the Monarchy AAR - what I consider to be my best AAR - its in my Inkwell.

Lastly if you couldn't tell, I'll be playing as Russia. Don't know where that is? Buy a plane ticket to Alaska.

Are You Ready For The Fallout?
Fire Your Guns
Maintain the Pain
I Can
Alone Again (Naturally)
Naughty Naughty Christmas
Loaded Mutha
In The Hands Of Time
Straight Through The Heart
Isn't It Enough
I Stand Alone
House of Wolves
Her Old Stomping Grounds
On The Road Again
Don't Take Your Guns To Town
The Best Way To Travel
All Nighter Comin'
Russian Roulette
Stray Cat Strut
House Of Pain
Sledgehammer
Holding On For Eight
The End Is Coming
Whatever Gets You Thru The Night
Chasing Pirates
Gimme
Stay Frosty
Give It To Me Strait
A New Coat Of Paint
Keep On
That Ain't Enough
Back For More
Smokestack Lightning
Real Mean Bottle
Notorious
Look Who's Back From Town
Rebel Yell
Mean Bone
Hang Tough
Tug Of War
The End
I Can't Keep This From You
Might Get Lucky
What's Up With That
Anastasia
Surrender To Your Kings
Postcard From Paris
Out Go The Lights

Last edited:
By laws you mean political reforms right? Just checking. As for other limitations, how about only using one political party for the entire game?

Sounds good. I'm in.

What about as a rule . . .

"You shall release the Philippines as a Russian puppet."

. . . and . . .

"You shall release Poland and Finland at the beginning of the game."(just for fun!)

Leave poor isolationist Japan alone. D:

Vaya con Queso: It’ll be more like a regular gameplay AAR. However, I’m still writing it ;)

Tanzhang: Yeah, by laws I mean no reforms or anything of any kind. And I’m already keeping with the one political party. I recall in Vik I w/ VIP there was an event that switched my government but we’re sticking with only one government this game.

JDMS & Mr. Santiago: Me three.

hoi2geek: Sure, I can add the Philippines to my goal which always has a little soft spot for me… as for Poland, I’m going to be keeping territory, refusing to give up anything if I can help it.

Omega124: I don’t know how that situation may play out. As the years went on in my Spain game, I was having quite a tough time against the US until 1900 when they simply outmatched my military units in every way. I expect them to have a high quality and populous army but we’ll see what we can do.

Alizon & Sakura_F: It seems we have a tie concerning Japan… tiebreaker anyone? If there isn’t a tiebreaker than I’ll be left to my own devices, making a decision as the game plays out.

aldriq: If there’s one thing the P’dox forums lack, its fashion… so… you’re just late :p I’ve actually been horribly sober these last few months. Maybe its time for a break? And, coincidentally, vodka is cheaper where I live.

This Update’s Observation:
American and European girls are okay but once they arrive at a certain age, they’re carrying more diseases than a 16th century rat.

***​

The toughest part about an AAR is getting that first post out of the way… and pushing through the initial addictive hours of Skyrim (Khajiit FTW.) But now that the initial moves are out of the way I can get this first post out and we can start playing around.

To start I’m shoving all my influence into China. Its going to make the game much easier, I think there’s an event that goes with it and it’ll keep the UK from sweeping Asia into its sphere. Also on day 1 I sent alliance offers to France, Persia, and Prussia; began Freedom of Trade research; spent my NF’s for capitalists in Tver and Novgorod while all my troops were sent southward.

Below are a few pictures of the beginning moves. I should mention that after the first month I lowered the military spending to about 50%.

bym9c.jpg

33eu2z8.jpg

14l3r7r.jpg

30n96z5.jpg

70511836.jpg

Since it’s the start of the game I also had some units to build. 12 cavalry and 13 infantry were instantly set for construction. I don’t know how many ships I’m going to build yet. It’ll really depend on my first war, its outcome and my allies reactions.

A few days after starting the timer a slew of nations accepted my offers of alliance, and I accepted some of theirs. As of 3 January I was allied with France, Persia, Prussia, Serbia, the Netherlands, and Sardinia-Piedmont.

28gr01t.jpg

Roughly three weeks later Prussia predictably declared war on Denmark but thankfully didn’t call me in. One month later Portugal asked for an alliance which I accepted and I received the Discriminatory School System event.

igb0wp.jpg

As the months continued I became cordial with China, I allied with Greece and a “Gold Rush” occurred in Yakutat.

At the start of July most of my troops and ships had settled into place.

14e86ki.jpg

xfyys2.jpg

8wyxxw.jpg

Another 9k are on their way from Asia to this area.
50cop.jpg

My plans are to attack the Ottoman Empire around late 1836/early 1837. As it stands now they’re allied with Austria however all my allies are “Likely” or “Very Likely” to go along with me in a war against the Ottoman Empire except for Persia who is a “Maybe.”

Population: 15.33
Cash: 18.73k

Let me know if there are any other stats you would like to see at the end of every update.

1zefiir.jpg

Omega124: I don’t know how that situation may play out. As the years went on in my Spain game, I was having quite a tough time against the US until 1900 when they simply outmatched my military units in every way. I expect them to have a high quality and populous army but we’ll see what we can do.

If you can't tell, I'm sort of a New York nationalist. Can't help myself. :p

Anyways, I wish you good luck, and I suggest you switch to reactionary and start industrializing from the start. Not a rule admendment, just a suggestion you can take.

Anyways, I wish you good luck, and I suggest you switch to reactionary and start industrializing from the start. Not a rule admendment, just a suggestion you can take.

A reactionary ruling party would make sense story wise too, no?

Show us your rubles! I'm interested to see how much debt you end up piling up in your militaristic adventures :D

Are you overseas again? I can't imagine anywhere in mainland US selling vodka cheaper than whiskey...

Omega124: That’s okay. A little nationalism never hurt anybody.

Tanzhang: Are you trying to spark a reaction from me?

Juan_de_Marco: I’d need someone to count up how many gold provinces there are then see how many gold provinces there are in Russia. Then I could place a countdown at the bottom of each update ;)

aldriq:
aldriq said:
Show us your rubles!
Are you hitting on me? Consider my cash rubles

Actually for now I’m north of the Mason-Dixon and will be until about May. After that I may be in southeast Asia for a month or two. Back to the vodka: Its just there’s a really awful vodka but there’s plenty of it and very cheap, 8 USD if I recall correctly.

ncm: Bullying is such a harsh word… Call it a ‘redistribution of wealth.’

This Update’s Observation:
A few years ago when deciding which to study, French or Russian, I ultimately opted for French. Who wants to learn a dead language?

I’ve finally been able to sit down and play a little while the other night. The war is a little long so I’m going to break it up into two pieces or maybe three depending on how much I need to write and how many pictures need to be posted. At the end of the war I’ll provide casualties and ships lost but always remember, I cannot account for attrition.

Toward the end of July I dropped Military Spending to 0% since I’m going to need the cash later on. And three times between August and September Bavaria rejected my alliance offer. What I wanted to have was a counter-balance to Austria in case she entered the war and Prussia declined to come to my aid. As a side note a gold rush occurred in Sitka (which always reminds me of Latka’s girlfriend -Simka- in Taxi.)

Late October I became friendly with China, Bavaria rejected another alliance and I set all taxes to 90% while my National Stockpile was set at 17%.

ivbfc9.jpg

Toward the end of November Montenegro rejected my offer of alliance. It really made me want to annex those ungrateful bastards. Continuing into December, on the 9th I raised the National Stockpile to 50% which resulted with me losing on average $500 a day. Twenty days later I received an Ambassador Insulted event with the US. I’ll play nice for now until I get a few things under control at home.

mts9id.jpg

2 January 1837 I declared war on the Ottoman Empire. The alliances broke down in places. Russia*, Prussia, Persia, Serbia, Greece, and Sardinia-Piedmont V. Ottoman Empire, Wallachia, and Moldavia. Therefore France, Portugal and a few other states left the alliance. I pushed my National Stockpile up to 100% and got my war on.

Divisions Ships
46 25 OE
70 77 Russia

Planned Maneuvers on 2 January 1837

15d50d3.jpg

2qk8ppj.jpg

My invasions of Wallachia and Moldavia began as predicted while a small battle broke out in Galatia against those small puppets. At the same time, a naval battle broke out at the Sea of Mamara. I mobilized on 14 January for good measure. Why waste perfectly good soldiers when we have the serf?

I ultimately won against Moldavia and Wallachia in Gallati, while losing the sea battle. Both myself and the Ottoman Empire lost three ships so it was a wash. Anyway, I have more ships so if we can trade ship for ship, that’s a positive road I’m willing to take for now.

Following the fleeing Moldavian army into Iasi I was able to destroy their only army while I merged both of my fleets in a Greek port.

2ebrc79.jpg

Through February I laid two more sieges in Braila (Wallachia) and Kars while decimating a recently mobilized OE unit in Ardahan. Bucharest was inhabited toward the end of the month while I defeated and followed a Wallachain army, destroying them in Silistre on 6 March. Both Moldavia and Wallachia were now without armies. Sieges were laid in Silistre and Varna.

Later in March Batum, Ardahan and Erzerum were all under siege by Russian troops. And Austria had declined an invitation to join my illustrious alliance.

1 April 1837

22knk.jpg

atokgn.jpg

17tr42.jpg

Omega124: That’s okay. A little nationalism never hurt anybody.

170px-Drawing_of_Adolf_Hitler.jpg

Sorry, had to.

I'm not concerned about this war at all. Russia has the second-largest army at the start, and can easily train more. You can win by the end of this in-game year if you don't care about casualties.

Researching Breech-Loaders and then building stacks of gaurds upon gaurds will enable you to kill about everyone. OP but fun.

I still say no bullying poor Japan. The Japanese AI in Vic2 is crap anyway. I haven't seen Japan do ANYTHING unless I *was* Japan.