• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, but I played as Texas until 1936, and Japan just sat there and got eaten by Russia and USA.

Ai, that will be hard, I just lost my copy of the game so I can't check, plus the Vicky 2 wiki is not quite up to date and only lists Metz as a Precious Metal source.

Freetown
Cagliari
Metz
Konigsberg
Postojna
(the one in Eritrea)
(the two or three in Malaysia)
(and another on Java)
Mariposa
Dawson
Black Hills (Dakota)
Taza (Marocco, in the desert east of the Atlas Mountains somewhere)
Angra Pequena (to the NW of south africa)
Japan (not certain, but I thought Osaka)
Russia (not certain, but at least two in Siberia, Sitka one of them)
China (but I'm least certain of all nations as to where exactly they are)

Prince of Savoy: I’m going for Dobrujda so I don’t have to worry about bottlenecking my troops in future wars. I’m also seeking the addition of Kars so I won’t have to worry about the mountains in the east in future wars and if I’m feeling nice, I might free a minority group within the OE somewhere.

Omega124: True, this war isn’t much to worry about. One reason I waited one year because the OE is at war with Tripoli and I imagined a number of their troops would’ve been heading in a general southward direction. However, I am worrying a little about casualties. Since I don’t plan on incorporating many minorities into my army - at least those that are disallowed by my government - then I’m going to need all the strong-armed Russians I can get.

As for guards, I’ve found them incredibly difficult to build in the past. I’m not using the latest 1.4 beta so that may have changed in the latest version so most of my units will probably end up being pretty basic.

Sakura_F: Is it? After my Spain game I only played about 20 years as the OE before diving into Russia. I haven’t closely observed them yet so I can’t comment much on it. As it stands, I’ll play Japan by ear. Considering my other ‘goals’ it probably won’t register on my radar.

aldriq: Grit your teeth otherwise it’ll bite.

Juan_de_Marco: Well, I didn’t think you’d actually do it but since you had I’ll go ahead and add it to the list. Since there are so many I’ll just use the ones you provided.

To All: I’ll add here that I’ll be getting deeper into the game so I can’t accept anymore suggestions since its fairly obvious I won’t achieve them all… I’m not really a world conquering type of player because its boring.

And as for Japan just sitting there? Since Paradox wants their games to be sandboxy I don’t think we can use history as a guideline here. So if a competitive Asian nation like China tries to do something, why shouldn’t Japan? Since they’re both born in the same 1836 "sandbox" world...
;)

This Update’s Observation:
What’s with all these youtube videos of people claiming, ‘I don’t own this song or video’? Yeah, that’ll get you out of legal trouble. It worked great for Napster…

On the same day I left you, 1 April, the regiments stood at: Russia 166 Ottoman Empire 61. Mobilization helps a bit, no?

The first two weeks of the new month I besieged both Van (OE) and Tirgoviste (Wallachia.) I even occupied Botosani (Moldavia) while the OE temporarily took Akhaltsike. But it was okay because I blockaded the Ottomans in the Sea of Mamara one day later.

s4aw45.jpg

Toward the end of the month another battle broke out in Ardahan. You can see the precursor to it in the above pic. And to polish up the month I besieged Tirgushu, Burgas, Vidin, Ruse, Tulcea (all OE) and Craiova (Wallachia.) Occupations? Two in Constanta and Galati.

Ultimately we won the battle in Ardahan on 13 May and they lost more people. So there… two days later I sat a unit in their capital.

34nmmi1.jpg

By the end of that month two more battles broke out in Trebizon and Vidin while I occupied Bucharest (get a map) and Bacau. A few days into the following month I’d win the battle in Trebizon and added Kars to my war goal. This way I won’t have to worry so much about attrition over mountains in future wars.

Another win for the good guys came in Vidin mid June as two more battles broke out at Nis and the OE capital. By late June both Bralia and Iasi were occupied while I won a big battle at Kars, apparently with the aid of the Prussians.

25z1l5f.jpg

1 July 1837

25us1hd.jpg

25plduu.jpg

w2169u.jpg

o0rrli.jpg

jajtit.jpg

Russia: 170 regiments 74 ships
Ottoman Empire: 50 regiments 22 ships

After my victory at Ervan I demolished a small OE stack... it held 10 OE regiments. That isn’t going to be good for their casualty rate.

I won again at Erzerum while more occupations in eastern Europe took hold. And the OE army at Instanbul had been wiped clear dropping them down to 33 regiments.

My first loss came in Trebizon but it was only a minor setback considering the stacks of troops still moving into position and arriving from Asia. However, I was appeased with a victory at Shuman and bringing China into my sphere. Eat your heart out, UK.

6xyutu.jpg

It was around this point that I stopped mentioning sieges since there was so little Ottoman opposition. Not to spoil my ambition I added another war goal mid August to Free Macedonia to Serbia. Why Macedonia and not a connected province? The better to see you with, my dear. It’ll let me spy on the Ottomans during peacetime. Besides, the Serbians wouldn't be able to defend themselves even if I blobbed them… they’ll get over it.

To end the month another pair of victories came in Nis and Trebizon as occupations continued to move along nicely.

Late October I had discovered Freedom of Trade and began work on Experimental Railroad while China offered an alliance. Naturally I accepted. They’re going to need looking out for ;)

I’m not going to bore you with more occupation notations so we can speed this up a little. Although I will mention that I occupied their capital on 13 November. Coincidentally that same day they made peace with Tripoli. It lives!

b7m74i.jpg

By the end of the year the war had obviously been decided. But it wasn’t until 16 March 1838 when the Ottomans agreed to my terms: Acquire Dobrudja, Kars and Serbia acquires North Macedonia.

xlxiq1.jpg

fao13o.jpg

That same day I lowered National Stockpile to 10% and removed influence from China, investing it into Siam. I also did something else but we’ll pick up from this point at the start of the next update.

Results of the war:

Debt: 123,777.4
Population: 15.67

Casualties:
Russia: 68,851
Ottoman Empire: 94,239

The Ottoman Empire had 4 remaining regiments after demobilization.

Ship Loss:
Russia: 33*
Ottoman Empire: 3

* The result of occupying their capital where their ships were stationed while having National Stockpile lowered. Oopsy doopsy! But they’re only wooden ships so I don’t care too much.

oiub2f.jpg

Another Brandenburg AAR, It must be Hanukkah (Christmas, Kwanzaa, Winter solstice) come early!

I am intrigued by the premise of keeping this Absolute Monarchy, though I have to say I am not too confident it will last in the long hall (but if it can be done...).

Oh, and I second freeing Manhattan ;-).

Can you somehow trigger the formation of Romania? I mean, you can force Walachia and Moldavia out of the Ottos' sphere. I've seldom seen that here.

Can you somehow trigger the formation of Romania? I mean, you can force Walachia and Moldavia out of the Ottos' sphere. I've seldom seen that here.

If possible, I'd like to see Romania too.

That's quite an ugly patch of Serbia in the middle of Ottoman Greece. Are you planning on "helping" Serbia form Yugoslavia anytime soon?

Hahaha! Serves you right for challenging me. Glad you put it in there, now go forth across the world! (you have reason to ;))

zagoroth: St. Stephen’s Day otherwise I whine and cry all year round! ;)

I was able to do it in Victoria I with the VIP 3.01 mod however it became tedious for rebels to pop up everyday. I think now that rebels can only pop up at the beginning of a month will make things much more bearable. And if it can be done… then I will see how well an import into either HOI III, HOI II or DH works. If I don’t have to do any coding I’ll transport the Monarchy into the modern world.

Mr. Santiago: Even though I don’t think I’ve posted it, mastery over the Balkans is one of my wishes. So I’m going to eventually shake off the OE’s hold over those two countries. I’m not sure what happens after that but we’ll see.

Tanzhang: Yes, I’m definitely going to help out the current Balkan nations grab some land as long as it doesn’t interfere with my plans. Right now I doubt I’ll let Bulgaria form as I’ll want that territory for a position on Austria’s eastern side but as for the other European nations under Ottoman rule, there’s a great chance you’ll see almost all of them form in this game. As for turning Serbia itself into Yugoslavia… if it happens then it happens. I’ll grant them the other province they own in the OE and do what I can for them in Austria but I won’t force anything unless it has benefits.

Juan_de_Marco: We’ll see exactly how many of these goals I can complete.

Have you ever had an ex say to you, “If I really wanted to stalk you, I’d do it on Facebook like everyone else.’ Makes me glad I don’t have a Facebook account… Anyway, I’m looking for a new stalker. If you’re what I’m looking for then you already know where and when auditions are being held.

Picking up on the same day, 16 March 1838, I also enacted the Peking Convention, along with the Ruler of the East and began colonizing Primorye… an area around Siberia. Naturally, its prime real estate.

snjxx0.jpg

m1weu.jpg

148ojra.jpg

A few days later the Ottomans allied with France. That ought to make for an interesting group. And to add to my troubles Persia broke our alliance. At least this opens up new possibilities especially considering Persia was almost nonexistent in the war against the Ottoman Empire.

At the beginning of August the Ottomans lost their Great Power status to Bavaria - most excellent - and I began work on 6 cavalry and 3 infantry. Taxes were also reduced: Poor & Middle to 70%; Rich to 0%.

A few minor events finished up the year along with the death of Pushkin - those damned French - and Austria leaving its alliance with Bavaria.

14vo781.jpg

A few days into 1839 Sardinia-Piedmont declared war on Switzerland… I decided to help to continue the alliance. My only plan for the war? To end it as soon as possible. Russia, SP, and France v. Switzerland. The white peace came on 17 September.

Around mid October I brought Siam into my SOI and began investing 3 in Egypt and 1 in China. An alliance with Siam soon followed.

izpyk3.jpg

9 January 1840 and my debt was finally paid off. Taxes were set to my standard: Poor & Middle 32%; Rich 0%.

A month later France declared war on Spain which ought to be fun and I began increasing relations with Bavaria. France v. UK, Spain, the Netherlands and Portugal.

Late February I discovered Experimental Railroad and began diving into Army Professionalism. I’m going to want as many units to survive future wars as possible. I have a feeling I might need them as the decades progress. Meanwhile I gave MA to France and China and Siam allied. We’re becoming one happy family in Asia.

In May I became Cordial with Egypt and Prussia went to war against France over Alsace-Lorraine. Oh Lorraine, you’re much more trouble than you’ll ever be worth. Prussia and satellites v. France, Ottoman Empire, Sardinia-Piedmont and Papal States.

hthf9w.jpg

And our first railroad was built! Yee haw!

1rvh3d.jpg

11w3clz.jpg

Are You Ready For The Fallout? - Fastball
Fire Your Guns - AC/DC
Maintain The Pain - Miranda Lambert
I Can - Helloween
Alone Again (Naturally) - Gilbert O’Sullivan

This Update’s Observation:​
I used to update more often but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Picking up where we left off I banned the UK from China while giving the Ottomans MA so they could send their troops in a general westward, destructive direction. Around the same time the Papal States mobilized and the Ottomans were soon off to the races.

6gzig0.jpg

bezora.jpg

Meanwhile the French were having a bit of trouble.

9la9h3.jpg

Early December I began constructing 14 Man of War for Alaskan defense and an addition 20 to be shared between the Baltic and Black Seas. For additional assurance for now I gave MA to the UK to polish off 1840.

Eleven days into 1841 I became “Friendly” with Egypt *heartthump* and some officer was upset over some minor incident. Am I wrong or is this 1841? Just pretend the kid’s an Armenian and be done with it.

jrp3ep.jpg

As the months continued France gained more ground in Spain, lost it to the Prussians in the east and Belgium shoved Spain out of the Great Powers group. However, late May the OE and Prussians signed a white peace after which I canceled my MA agreement with the Ottomans. Continuing this love fest, in early June the UK and France signed a white peace, ending the war in Spain.

8 July my colony was established; the NF went into Estonia for soldiers. Keep those Latvian Riflemen away ;)

It was at this point in December that I decided to dissolve my alliance with Prussia with an intent to declare war. Should I be able to reduce our relations below +100 and if the two nations were still at war, then I’d declare war in order to take a chunk out of the dangerous nation.

5 March 1842 a string a white peaces were signed with Sardinia-Piedmont, Papal States, etc. until only France was at war with Prussia and her satellites. Twenty days later and a white peace was signed by those two nations. Hm… another day maybe.

26 May I added Egypt to my sphere and began investing influence heavily into Spain.

Cash: 33.53k
Population: 16.23
Literacy: 11.3%

betrat.jpg

Well done! Good that you started on that Alaskan fleet. With Russia one of the best ways to stimulate domestic industry is a big army. So I take it you have all of Sakhalin now as a colony? What about N-america, are you doing anything there? or planning?

Juan_de_Marco: Nothing going on in North America yet however I do have two regiments sitting in Alaska from natural construction. Should I make a more serious attempt to take it then I’ll station a larger presence over there. It really depends on how many soldiers I can raise. If I can’t raise enough then my venture into America may have to be delayed. I do want to expand my colonies there and check every once in a while to see how close I am to be able to build them. And once something’s mine, I hate to give it up.

It is my belief that Leon Russell was, is, and will always be a member of ZZ Top.

The remainder of 1842 continued its timidity as I allied with Egypt and Bavaria - sweet - while the UK went to war against Tibet and France added the Ottoman Empire to its sphere. This… may become a problem.

24l23w3.jpg

1843 continued the stagnant tradition where Denmark rejected an alliance offer twice, I lowered National Stockpile to 2%, became Friendly with Spain and discovered Army Professionalism; research began on Muzzle Loaded Rifles. For me research is usually a random selection. I’m not one of those guys who goes through the list to see probable inventions or anything. I look at what’s given and choose the best I can from what I see. So that’s the extent of my strategy when it comes to selecting technologies.

The following year Prussia and Sweden allied followed by a Prussian declaration of war against Denmark. Good. They deserve it.

Sometime in February I began moving troops westward, waiting for a war to break out. Wondering why I’m not gobbling up minors? Because I want enough BB around so I can take a significant bite out of civilized nations. Not only will this harm the nation I take the land from, it’ll help out my literacy which is absolutely deplorable. To aid in this endeavor Two Sicilies joined my alliance… I just hope it’s the good one.

35ja6p3.jpg

Through the rest of the year Prussia destroyed Denmark, Nepal entered the UK SOI, and I banned France from China. Obviously China is going to be my most valuable investment throughout the game. It isn’t so much that I want China but I want other nations to keep out of China. Honestly I could care less if she civilizes even if that means one more contender for the top 8 spot.

16 January 1845 Spain entered my Sphere. This is really a temporary measure to combat France should we have to war one another. I don’t expect Spain to do much but it’ll be a nice pit for France to fall into while I war whatever third country they’ve allied/sphered.

mv6hpu.jpg

I left one influence spot in Spain while spending three in Afghanistan. After a nation has been sphered, I often leave 1 influence point behind until it reaches 50.0 or 65.0 before removing investments. This is so I can batter other nations and ruin them in that nation for at least one more year.

An alliance with Spain followed soon after while the Netherlands bumped Belgium out of the Great Power slot. In June Egypt happily took out a chunk of Ethiopia - go you! - and I banned the US from Egypt in late July. Those Americans love Egypt for some reason. After the Suez event I plan on letting Egypt fall into whatever mess that’ll happen but for now they are my man - crush.

2pzllys.jpg

1845 ended with Bavaria Sphering Baden and me changing my NF in Tver from Capitalists to Soldiers in Smolensk.

Discriminatory School System event was picked up in March 1846 followed by a nice border incident with the Ottoman Empire. However, the Ottomans were both allied and sphere lings ;) under France. Still, I decided to prepare for war by raising all taxes, to start with, to 49%. Relations with Prussia were pushed up to +100 by late April.

ve3o7n.jpg

12 May France declared war on Algiers. Yes! All influence was withdrawn from Spain.

Half a year later Spain went to war against Morocco and I discovered Muzzle Loaded Rifles, investing in the Strategic Mobility tech. All this land investment comes solely from how many casualties I took in the last war against the Ottomans.

As the year let out I banned France from China again. Then at the start of the new year, 1847, I raised National Stockpile to 100% and all taxes to 90%. Prussia rejected a last ditch offer to ally and on 1 February I declared war on the OE.

Population: 16.34
Cash: 175.78k
Literacy: 12.5%

14wbm1k.jpg

Good luck against the OE and France. I'm sure you can mop up anything they land on your shores; watch out for a fleet trying to sail into the Baltic and attack St Petersburg though!

You're gonna fear the French, Brandenburg? The time period of the games starts off after Russia handed Napoleans armies back to him, with interest.

Let the French come, show them General Winter-efsky, a famous Russian-Polish general according to my sources...

NapoleonComple: I always end up bringing every unit to bear on the south so if anyone does land in the north or near my capital, the only units I’ll really have for defense if they break through my wooden barriers are militia. Although I have a feeling Russia wouldn’t want it any other way.

zagoroth: You haven’t read the first Maintain the Monarchy AAR, have you… I was paranoid with the Tsars back then, too. And your General… I did a little more research and apparently he’s from Beloozero. Coincidentally, I once thought about doing to do a CK AAR called: “Its Frigid, Its Cold, Its Beloozero!” :D

Juan_de_Marco: Get it for free ;)

Life is a repetition of doing the same thing over and over while trying to deceive yourself that it is not.

2 February 1847 I declared war on the Ottoman Empire for Bulgaria. Again, the Bulgarian provinces are really the only ones I want from the OE, however, if more free CB’s come up, I’ll happily take more off their hands. To my surprise, and luck, most of my allies came to my defense while France fled the Ottoman Empire. My guess it was because France was already at war, albeit with a pathetic African state like Algeria but no matter what, nations always seem reluctant to add another war to their list no matter who they’re up against.

5yguts.jpg

zsojfc.jpg

So since China failed to come to my aid its: Russia*, Siam, Greece, Serbia, Egypt, Spain, Bavaria, and Sardinia-Piedmont v. the Ottoman Empire. Before mobilization the Ottomans had 9 regiments and 5 ships… after mobilization their regiment count ran up to 26.

For a quick war I also mobilized since BB burns slower while at war. Again, for all those militia units too far away to have an influence, they were disbanded to save cash. And in late February I decided to add another war goal since France wasn’t coming into the war right away: To free Wallachia from their puppet status.

2d0e8mx.jpg

Since France isn’t involved in the war and the Ottomans really don’t have much of a chance I’m not going to painstakingly go over sieges or military tactics.

The OE puppets lost much of their army early on 18 February while the Ottomans were handed a terrible blow one week later, probably because the bulk of their army was made up of militia. And the fact that they were simply outnumbered.

2rf5uvt.jpg

Early April I noticed Greece was having a bit of trouble against the Ottoman navy so I kindly left my blockade to give a little aid to my southern neighbors. Seems the Egyptians helped out too. We’re just one big happy alliance.

2utm9zk.jpg

The Ottomans lost a pair of battles, one in the east in Urfa while the second in Starya Zagora where they suffered more than six times my casualties, resulting in a 7000 man Ottoman loss. The pain would continue to be added while I began my siege in their capital, at the same time adding another war goal on 17 March. Since France still had the OE as a sphere, I wanted to dismantle the Ottomans as much as I could in this war.

I added the war goal to release Moldavia from its puppet status.

72pv82.jpg

1 April 1847

2ic7jhe.jpg

28v5zea.jpg

e5gpco.jpg

Throughout the rest of these months the Ottomans continued to lose their battles. By 25 April I was prepared to add another war goal: To give the rest of Ottoman Serbia to Serbia. This ought to appease all you Neville lovers.

2cftf12.jpg

17 May France had finally annexed Algeria and this made me wonder how soon would the French intervene, if they would. Still, all my dudes were in the war and France would probably concern itself most with Spain should she enter. I wasn’t worried.

By 1 July the Ottomans had been reduced to 13 regiments and 3 ships. And the Russian steamroller continued to mow down the opposition with little resistance. Early August I reduced my National Stockpile to 50% and began withdrawing my regular infantry so they could heal up while my militia units continued the sieges around Ottoman country.

4 October I had to decrease China’s opinion of France and early November reduced National Stockpile again to 30%.

31 December the Ottomans agreed to peace and I reduced my National Stockpile to 5%. Poor taxes were lowered to 75% Middle to 49% and Rich to 0%.

u1mdt.jpg

2a6s7rb.jpg

Isn’t Serbia pretty now? Want to make a guess at the Ottoman Empire’s new world ranking? The answer is below the last pic.

Ship Loss:

Ottoman Empire:
3 Frigates; 2 Transports (Entire navy)

Casualties:

Russia: 35,505

Ottoman Empire: 65,784
Wallachia & Moldavia: 29,845

Population: 16.54
Debt: -261,247.9
Literacy: 12.7%

i1wqc4.jpg

OE ranked #52

Love for Serbia, but no love for the Greeks? Looked up Beloozero, was surprised that it is actually a real place. Crazy stuff. I say DOW France anyways. If France wont come to Winterefsky, bring Winterefsky to France!

Without French help the Ottomans were just handed to you on a plate :) Just as well since I expect Prussia will be a tougher target.

Literacy seems to grow very slowly, which is a pain tech-wise, but socially, doesn't that help you longer term to maintain the monarchy?