• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No refunds yet. I'm starting to get worried, I'd like to get a refund before Kerberos goes out of business and complicates things.

Yes, I know they are supposed to be supported. But small companies that have their only major product release in years hit the ground so hard that it leaves a smoldering hole in the ground are not small companies that I'd put any money on being in business long.

There's a user on this thread that wrote directly to Steam and got his refund. Should the rest of us who bough the game through Steam do the same? I thought Paradox was handling the refunds...

Personally, I will only write STEAM as a last resort. Paradox made the refund offer to customers directly and I am giving them every chance to live up to their promises. They are past due based on their own written word. Like many others, I am feeling frustrated and wondering if the delay is intentional. I will admit to considering the option of writing some of the major gaming news sites about this mess but that's not something "I want" to do.

I would personally be worried for a refund, Two weeks of inaction means they're waiting for something else to occur instead of refunding.

I've seen this sort of behavior many a time. Suffice to say they wait as long as they can, making micro payments before the papers came in to declare them bankrupt. In that event, good luck getting any form of refund. Priority goes to all creditors first.

There's this famous furniture company in Singapore that knowingly ran cut throat promotions for about 9 months chalking up millions before declaring bankrupt. They had less than a mil in the bank while they owed 14mil.

Suffice to say, to date, nobody got their furniture they bought.

There's a user on this thread that wrote directly to Steam and got his refund. Should the rest of us who bough the game through Steam do the same? I thought Paradox was handling the refunds...

Your actual rights are always with the people you actually paid your money to. Paradox's offer is based on goodwill, not those rights. It doesn't supersede them, except that it would be a fraud to deliberately seek, accept and keep two refunds for the same sale.

Your actual rights are always with the people you actually paid your money to. Paradox's offer is based on goodwill, not those rights. It doesn't supersede them, except that it would be a fraud to deliberately seek, accept and keep two refunds for the same sale.

Don't worry. The refund is connected to the steam ID that bought the game. Paradox and Steam won't both refund the game.

So far I haven't seen Paradox refund the game at all, of course.

Hello xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am sorry to hear that you haven't received your refund and we really appreciate your patience. Our sales department are going through the list of refunds as we speak, and they will then refer the matter to Steam to get you your credits back as soon as possible.

/sighs

Paradox Support said:
Michael, Nov-15 13:02 (CET):
Hello XXXXX

The refunds were processed last week, and since there are so many of them it will continue this week aswell. By processing we refer to collecting all the information needed and then sending it to Steam so that they can update your Wallet with the right amount of credits. Because the last part of the process is handled by Steam, it is very hard for us to give you an exact date for when the credits will arrive, so your patience is greatly appriciated.

Kind Regards,
Michael

Notice the words I highlighted in the letter I got from support today in response to a few direct questions. Are there that many of us after a refund? WOW...

This situation could be so much easier on everyone if they were more proactive in communicating information even just here in the forum.

I will continue to hang on waiting patiently. It is nice to KNOW something though.

Your form letter was sent about 30 minutes before mine. I guess someone told them to change the part about so many refunds.

Don't worry. The refund is connected to the steam ID that bought the game. Paradox and Steam won't both refund the game.

So far I haven't seen Paradox refund the game at all, of course.

My thoughts exactly. I don't want the same refund twice and I think they can check that quite easily. I wrote Steam anyway but meanwhile I got an answer from Paradox with the same message it's posted here. So, let's just wait.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the financial health of Paradox? After all, they appear to be just as culpable as Kerberos in releasing this thing two months too early. So one has to consider that Paradox is actually hurting for cash flow, not just Kerberos.

Perhaps refunds are going to be difficult or impossible?

Does anyone know the financial health of Paradox? After all, they appear to be just as culpable as Kerberos in releasing this thing two months too early. So one has to consider that Paradox is actually hurting for cash flow, not just Kerberos.

Perhaps refunds are going to be difficult or impossible?

Paradox is doing fine apparently

I asked for a refund through steam for the first time ever and they just directed me to a bunch of forums about technical support and how to get the game running.... Awesome customer support. Didn't even answer my question.

Personally, I will only write STEAM as a last resort.

From a legal perspective, if you are a EU citizen, you need to make the request within two weeks of the purchase, and it needs to be made to the entity that you have a contract with (who you have paid the money to). I do not believe this is necessary as Paradox has clearly stated that they will give the refunds, and they have been long enough in the business to be trusted (thus comparisons to some shady Singapore furniture company are a little uncalled for, as is the speculation that they plan on weaseling out of what they have said). But if you are a EU citizen and want to be 100% on the safe side, you would need to send a notice to whoever you paid the money to within 2 weeks of the purchase. This would be a more logical step than the immature "writing to major gaming sites" threat. Deal with the situation like a reasonable adult.

I asked for a refund through steam for the first time ever and they just directed me to a bunch of forums about technical support and how to get the game running.... Awesome customer support. Didn't even answer my question.

Keep trying. I am pretty sure Steam has some kind of odd process or auto-responders setup for support. I had to contact them multiple times when I fat-fingered putting in my birthdate on the forums (I misclicked and was literally like a month old according to their forums). Once I finally got a hold of an actual person, it was easy to get them to fix it.

From a legal perspective, if you are a EU citizen, you need to make the request within two weeks of the purchase, and it needs to be made to the entity that you have a contract with (who you have paid the money to). I do not believe this is necessary as Paradox has clearly stated that they will give the refunds, and they have been long enough in the business to be trusted (thus comparisons to some shady Singapore furniture company are a little uncalled for, as is the speculation that they plan on weaseling out of what they have said). But if you are a EU citizen and want to be 100% on the safe side, you would need to send a notice to whoever you paid the money to within 2 weeks of the purchase. This would be a more logical step than the immature "writing to major gaming sites" threat. Deal with the situation like a reasonable adult.

I am not an EU citizen. I purchased the game through Direct2Drive (IGN) and they do not offer refunds. I only got in the refund process at all because a Paradox employee posted in the forum that the company would refund unhappy customers directly for this product. Due to the mysterious to me workings of digital distribution, I was informed that my refund would be through STEAM credit to my wallet there. Honestly, I didn't expect to recover any of what I had marked down as a scam from a developer I once trusted. I am willing to be patient and give Paradox time as what they are doing is unusual, if warranted. I just wish they communicated better.

I have not made one "threat" nor have I been anything other than reasonable through this entire mess. If anything, I have kept my cool and my posts useful to others. "You are not competent" to speak on anyone else's presumed level of maturity. I would advise you to remember how to be courteous to fellow posters in disagreement rather than making a childish jab. And yes, I consider the gaming press a viable option as there is a story here with an outcome that could be postivie or negative to the company reputation. Just look at the wonders press has done with EVE Online where no court would care to tread...

Sof12, most of your posts have not been "useful", and not "cool". You have been whining and complaining for a couple weeks now, often with little jabs and wild theories, with very few constructive posts mixed in. Yes, "I don't want to complain to the gaming sites, but I will if ..." is immature and it is a threat. And it's not even thinly veiled.

Sorry for calling you out on it, but I'm a tiny bit fed up with the childishness. Paradox HAVE SAID they will refund you, so why does there need to be more complaining about it? They have apparently been in constant email contact with everyone who wrote to them about a refund. So, it's not instant, but they are not a shady company that have ever not kept their word. I mean, what's the chance they'll suddenly change their mind and go back on their word when they JUST once more said they are working on the refunds? So cut them some slack here. Or, as said, if you don't want to, use your other legal options, though I see no need for them.

Just for the record: I'm not thrilled with this release, nor do I appreciate that there hasn't been a real explanation for this mess, and I certainly understand that people want a refund. In fact, Mecro's way of posting irks me enough to consider requesting a refund too. So no, I don't think it's wrong for anyone to ask for a refund. What I disagree with is the underhanded stuff and the constant nagging when Paradox have said that they will refund people.

That would be a lie and a slander based solely on how you feel about the issue when obviously others feel another way. If you don't like the comments expressed here in the refund thread then get out of it as you are doing nothing but whine and name call in order to start a fight because you don't like them. Otherwise you wouldn't be "calling some one out" in your own words. I don't care if you find the comments expressed in thread as childish and as irksome as I find yours. Stop being a troll and go away.

Guys really, this is not worth getting personal about.
Let the personal stuff drop and only post on topic.
Thank-you

For those of you debating whether to ask steam for a refund directly...

I got tired of waiting on paradox and requested a refund in the form of a steam credit directly from steam. When I submitted my ticket I wrote refund as the topic, purchases and payment as the category, credit card as the sub category. I can only assume that this routes you to the correct department without making you jump through technical support hoops as they immediately took care of me with no problems. My letter to them was as follows.

Message by you on Mon, 14th Nov 2011 6:23 pm
-This game was released in a totally unplayable state and remains this way. It has almost none of the features currently advertised and is again, unplayable. The developer and the publisher are, as you are well aware, offering refunds due to the defective nature of this product. I would like to request this refund from you, the vendor I purchased the product from. I would be happy to accept a steam credit for this refund as I am a long time customer of steam and quite happy with the service. Your help in this issue is much appreciated and I would be happy to provide any further information needed.-

I sent this ticket last night and they issued my credit today, in less than 24 hours. They're response is as follows.

Message by Support Tech Charlie on Tue, 15th Nov 2011 2:37 pm
Hello ****,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

As requested, the title has been removed from your account and a credit has been applied to your Steam Wallet. The credit can be used for future Steam purchases.

To view your current available Steam Wallet balance:
- The current available balance will be listed in the upper right hand corner next to "[Your username]'s Account".
- In most cases, the new funds will automatically be displayed in your account.
- If this has not happened, please allow two hours for the transaction to fully complete.

Please note in the future that Steam purchases, per the Steam Subscriber Agreement, are not refundable - this store credit was issued as a one-time customer service gesture.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.
-----------------------

I can't help but think that the delays in refunds from paradox are a conscious decision they are making judging by the speed of my refund through steam. I hope this proves helpful to those of you who would find a steam credit acceptable. If you truly want a refund and are tired of getting ****ed over by paradox, I would go straight to steam.