• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Castellon

★Paradox Forum Manager★
Administrator
Paradox Staff
110 Badges
Mar 12, 2002
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Paradox Order
This is the refund thread to rule them all.

This is the only thread to discuss anything related to Refunds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be naive to think that it would help if companies like Gamers gate and Steam make it as easy to get a refund as it is to buy something on line ?

So you buy something with your credit card or other online method and there would be an option that says, "not happy with your purchase ? get your refund by clicking here."

I've been following from a distance and seen the "credit" fiasco. Has noone called their card issuing bank and done a charge back? My bank(USAA) is very quick to give me my money back in cases like this.

I've been following from a distance and seen the "credit" fiasco. Has noone called their card issuing bank and done a charge back? My bank(USAA) is very quick to give me my money back in cases like this.

If you charge back payments to Steam, they will close your account and block the access to your other games. I don't know how other digital distributors handle this, but it's almost always better to talk to the company in question before forcing the return of the money.

Last edited:
Paradox has openly promised refunds to anyone that desires one for the moment. That could change in the future. You need to email Paradox Support (not the devs, STEAM, or your e-retailer) and clearly indicate your desire for a refund. In a follow up message from them the following information was requested from me:

A) My STEAM User ID,
B) My SOTS2 Activation code (Key.)
C) Name of the outlet I purchased from.
D) Impulse / Gamestop customers (bought from there) need to provide their ID fior that site.

I was asked to confirm my desire for a refund a second time in that correspondence.

It seems to me that you could include this information in your intial request in order to speed up the process. Just be sure to clearly ask for a refund and confirm your desire for one at the end in your mail to support.

I thought this might be helpful to some of you.

I am still waiting to see what comes of it as I am yet to get the promised refund. I am in a "wait patiently" mode... But you can be sure I will post in thread if I actually get one. Or not... lol.

In a further mailing I was notified the refund would be in STEAM credit (ie to my wallet there.) I originally bought from Direct2Drive. I know that a Gamer's Gate customer mentioned things were being handled diffrently somehow for them.

Great stuff we just email support@paradoxplaza.com for a refund.

Thanks for the extra info SOF12 that really helps a lot :)

The reason I didn't search is this was supposed to be the "refund thread to rule them all" and contained absolutely no helpful information in it :) If it had already been discussed then it should have been in here, and now it is :D

All information submitted as of now. I too will post updates as the refund process progresses...

Last edited:
While not directly related to a refund, it is a method of compensation so I'm dropping it here.

The free SotS Prime you guys are handing out, does it come with the Expansions or is it just literally vanilla Prime?

The free SotS Prime you guys are handing out, does it come with the Expansions or is it just literally vanilla Prime?

According to the post made by the Kerberos CEO, it is the ultimate edition (including expansions) for those who have bought SotS2, decided to keep it, and would like SotS1. The contact, as I understand it, is the Kerberos support. The free SotS1 that came with the Paradox newsletter for Oct/Nov this year is only the base game, without expansions (this is probably unrelated to anything else as they have given free games to newsletter subscribers before).

I emailed all the necessary information last week, and recieved a reply stating that "I have recieved and confirmed the information that we need to be able to give you your refund. We will start the process first thing tomorrow to make sure that this matter is solved as soon and swiftly as possible.". Not saying that was a lie, but that was a week ago and NOTHING has happened since then, So.............. Refund please? No matter how complicated Gamersgate is I think weeks of communication between companies would be enough to sort that out by now. Or is your promise for a refund like your promise for a playable game, empty?
EDIT: WHOA WHOA WHOA We're getting refunds in cash right?!?!?!? A store credit refund to a store I no longer patronize would be completely unacceptable. Ball's in your court Paradox.

Last edited:
EDIT: WHOA WHOA WHOA We're getting refunds in cash right?!?!?!? A store credit refund to a store I no longer patronize would be completely unacceptable. Ball's in your court Paradox.

I choose to interpret it as that you don't treat Steam with an apparent kindness that betrays a feeling of superiority any more. Makes for a much funnier reading. :)

But yeah, from what I've read the refund will be in Steam credit, as per Steam policy.

Me thinks this thread could do with some official information on the refund situation from Paradox.

Hrmph, this stopped being funny a long time ago. If we're going to get our money ( and Steam dollars aren't money) back tell me so I can choose a fun Paradox title to replace SotS with (I've been eying those shiny Europa III expansions : D), if not, then tell me so I can wash my hands of this company. And this isn't just about a measly $40, this is about trust. I'm truly sorry if I come off as condescending, but I shouldn't even be here, I should be playing a fully functional Sword of the Stars two or mildly grumbling about another SotS II delay. I just seriously can't bring myself to respect Paradox again until they fix this.

If STEAM Cash was the refund plan then there might be a problem in the refund process on STEAM’s end. You see, not only were the STEAM forums hacked but the actual client database was broken into.

CC’s game keys, emails, personal info… This so isn't going to end well.

The official announcement can be found HERE for the moment and at the time of this post.

I am not sure where that leaves us besides waiting on a refund and what effect it might have.

American institutions usually are. It's not a very fair practice though because they are generally applying an unfairly high penalty fee to the seller. The reasons why are complex, but greed is certainly a factor. A chargeback request is an opportunity for them not a problem: they get to take back the money they gave the seller plus their penalty fees.

European card issuers are obliged to accept some genuine liability as part of the legal framework they do business under. Skipping the details again, but this gives them a more cautious approach. Their business interest is to see the dispute settled between the buyer and the seller without having to step in and cover the seller's obligation themselves. They do still take penalty fees, but it's not pure win like the American model.

Under both systems the results of asking for a transaction to be reversed unnecessarily may be unfair to the seller - they understand that as a cost of doing business, but a thoughtful customer will bear it in mind too.

One more point: because the usual reason for transactions to be reversed is card fraud (either genuine or just because the customer had to give some reason) Steam have a policy of suspending accounts that unexpectedly reverse transactions. So people who bought directly from Steam should be aware of this.