• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You can't be serious. What about all their other games that are huge successes? EU3, VK2, HOI3, CK2(this is a massive success IMO)

They aren't going anywhere as a studio, and it's going to take more than one botched game to bring them down. They have openly stated how embarrassing this release was for them. You don't come out and say that unless you care. You won't hear EA saying that kind of stuff. We can say unbiasedly that this game went wrong and it has some large flaws. We can also criticize paradox for releasing it, but to say they are going to fail because of one game is a bit of a leap.

As long as paradox continues to listen to it's customer base it will have my money. I can't think of another major studio that communicates with customers as well as these guys do.

Paradox Development Studios who make EU, HoI, Vicky and CK are not actually responsible for publishing titles from other developers.

Paradox Interactive publish EU, HoI, etc... AND titles from other development studios like Kerberos' Sword of the Stars, Neocores King Arthur & InoCo's Majesty & Warlock games.

The two entities though closely linked are not involved in the actual development by other studios.

The rest of your comments are frankly nitpicking, I could if I wish point to missing functionality and information in every 4x I have ever played. The trade system is still being developed, hitting trade in the main UI is just the first stage in expanding the players trade management options, even on its own I have found it useful for manually adjusting each planet and system, if I need to up ship production in a specific sector or ramp up trade to cover the costs of a new fleet.
They're absolutely nitpicking! I'm enjoying SotS2 quite a bit! I just feel the UI issues are a whole host of small problems that, together, make playing the game far more frustrating than it needs to be.

The station placement was, as I said, a micro-example. I was illustrating the trend in the UI of requiring unnecessary user actions, buttons that have to be clicked despite serving no meaningful function, etc.. As a gaming grognard, I take it for granted that you have a high tolerance for clunky UI. So do I. I still recognize that it's clunky, and it's a serious problem for attracting and retaining non-hardcore players.

The system-specific station manager change in the patch right after my post is an example of a step in the right direction. The auto-upgrade button even moreso. I'm hoping the patch tonight/tomorrow continues the trend.

are you serious Kerberos?!!

Why is this goddamn game still taking like 10 20 seconds between turns?!

My computer smokes this game hardware wise but its so unbelievably slow when I hit the end turn button......even when I turned off AA and 64-bit processing. Only thing left to do is to turn off everything and put it on low graphics settings.

I was only playing a map with 6 players!

I was really hoping that the 18 bucks for this on steam was going to be worth it this long after the game has been released but I guess not...

anybody know how to fix this?
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/15/2012, 23:07:44

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: M17xR3
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.0 A09
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16332MB RAM
Page File: 6136MB used, 10723MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Display Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
Sound Tab 4: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6900M Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x6720)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6720&SUBSYS_04BA1028&REV_00
Display Memory: 1740 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2022 MB
Shared Memory: 3813 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic Non-PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id:
Native Mode: unknown
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticf

AMD Radeon HD 6900M Series

may be the graphics card the m at th end of any graphics card can signify that it is designed for a laptop thus they cut corners also video ram is not overly important especial at ur resloution and as you only have single monitor afaics the core count is whataa your interested in (usually in small writing on the back >.<)

for example the 550 ti and 560 ti nvidia the latter has 2 twice the cores of the former.

that card is more than sufficent to runt he game smoothly. GPU lag would should up as slideshow battles (the menu battle would lag) or chugging while moving/rotating the main map.
Screen tranistion is moving from screen to screen, ala government, research, ship building/designing. There is an issue that causes that to take longer than it should, but for most people its only around 1-5 seconds unless playing on an oversized map(SotsVerse).

A simple graphics complaint is that i still hate the 'flaming ball of cheese' that are stars on
the system screen. That box takes up alot of space on the main screen and provides NO
additional data you cannot get from the box to the left (system box). All it does is distract
from the main map reqireing me to constantly adjust the map of click off to get rid of it then
have to click back on the system to get a better view of the system nearby objects. I know
some folks dislike anything taken away from a game but what on earth is it needed for? It
has no purpose other than to tell you star characteristic which is meaningless. Much better
and cleaner without it.

I bought this game shortly after release. I opted to keep the game vs get a refund. I am a consumer of Paradox games. I had confidence in it being a paradox game. Fast forward to now. It still crashes. Im not going to post to tech forum as I never signed up to be a beta tester. This is a warning. As of 9/17/12 this game is still in beta. DO NOT BUY IT. Paradox I implore you to remove Kerberos games from your site. They have betrayed their player base with this game and the length of time they have had they will obviously never make it right. Its bugged takes forever to load, crashes every time I exit, occasionally crashes in game and the encyclopedic is still empty. I will admit awesome premise, cool mechanics fun and engaging combat. Even with that to the kerberos team I say Fk you. Fk you for doing this to such an awesome game that had such potential. Your only redemption is to put out an awesome expansion and offer it at like 80% discount to current owners of the game. You will need to make the engine less of a resource hog and I don't believe its possible. Its just to slow and feels clunky. And you can have 0 crashes. We as a consumer demand 0 crashes. Redeem yourselves....DO IT

well.. ever thought about why aliens invade USA when we already have Jets and Shooting Weapons? We threw hundreds of thousands years with stones, why they come in the first century we can fight em? thats not realistic! so SOTS2 is really holding to realism

well.. ever thought about why aliens invade USA when we already have Jets and Shooting Weapons? We threw hundreds of thousands years with stones, why they come in the first century we can fight em? thats not realistic! so SOTS2 is really holding to realism

History is never written by the conquered, but by the victors.

So sticks and stones may break some bones but lies could actually hurt us more....

For example, how many intelligent human civilizations have come and gone that had surpassed our level of knowledge and understanding of the cosmos and it's dimensions? Are we truly the principal order of existence?

Game designers at every stage should ask themselves the question, "Is this fun?" It is a GAME.
Meanwhile, the aliens in this "reality" of yours (LOL) probably do not have the entertainment of the human race as their primary reason to invade planet Earth.