• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well after patch 11\11\2011 I think I will let this game rest for a while, if I carry on I will be afraid to click on anything ever again.:sad:

You gotta love repeated mentions of the System Killer behavior in the patch notes of a game that is barely functional. I would think the GMs would be one of the last things you would touch

The GMs utilise the same behaviours as the random AI encounters. It's a lot easier to hammer out with something predictable like Sparky rather than something more random like Spectres, for what should be obvious reasons.

wth is this not a sticky??? wake up!

There is a sticky with a link to this thread, But in my limited experience a lot of people ignore sticky threads, So a sticky thread with a link to this thread and this thread itself floating gets it maximum exposure.
That was my dream anyway, I will let you know how it works out when I "wake up!" :)

OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yeah. I'm posting in the Meta Thread! Hell yeah! Not that anyone will read this post anyways. But I wanna throw in my complaint =

Three things this game needs more than anything else (in order of importance) =

1) Much better AI. The core of a game is how challenging it is. ATM SotS2's AI are as challenging as a 2 year old at chess. Lack of sustained gameplay interest caused by failsy AI prevents this game from being fun
2) Better info and management screens. UI-wise this game is a definate step down from the various screens you had to work with in SotS1
3) End of turn waits are getting out of hand. Something is clearly not right if its taking this long for the game to move from turn to turn.

Saddly i dont think the develoupers share my opinion. They seem to want to focus on reintegrating the various features they cut out of the game before release like trade and diplomacy. Which, while i think it has to be done eventually, is a flawed approach. They should make the CORE of the game work before they add in more features. Especially since each thing they add in will make for more bugs to fix before they get around to fixing these core issues.

As a matter of priorities, it might look stupid but the UI is the top thing (and the easiest to fix at the same time).
Right now all I need to do is to check the ship build/design screens and see the ship sections having no name (if you are not a SOTS player you won't recognize the CNC ship for its rotating disk) and the starting designs not being scrappable. This is already telling me the game is in tragic status and there's no need to even complete the 1st turn (unless you are into masochistic gaming).

As I said many times, I have total trust SOTS2 will become a grand game, 10 times grander than SOTS in due time. I am not really pressing on timing, ETA for patches and so on... I am not even complaining despite having been ripped off of 30 euro (or 40? I can't remember) early (I would have bought the game anyway) because I am patient, I can wait and I have total trust in Kerberos.

What I would like is to participate in the tests, to know more about how this happened, whose fault it was and what they are doing and how they intend to achieve it... just out of curiosity, that's all. :)

I dont wanna sound negative... but... what excatly is now better and why did the patch need 5 days? I rlly hope that the content stuff will now beginn to roll.... i thought all drone-stuff should be activated again by now, but except for the drone sattelite design and eh...well for the Trade Overlay.... i didnt find any improvements at all... :/

Dont take it the wrong way, but the last 3 patches last week did more for the game, feeled as player, as this 1 long patch. And yeah its a complaining. Had the urge to complain this time. Stability did get worser again, not better, the change times from screen to screen did get a lot worser, the memory leak is now worser, and....well i dont see or feel the improvement this time. I will make a break too, i think, with SotS2. Otherwise if i keep it up, the whole fun will be burn up when it´s all ready and i will be just frustrated :/

I was disappointed about the game not being ready a few weeks ago but I'm really impressed about how many changes, added features, and fixes that the team is making so fast lately. Even if the game might have been finished earlier, it's still hard work doing that stuff. Congratulations on your work , I'm looking forward to the game. For me the patch notes help me to understand how complicated of a game and program it is, behind the interface.

Lol, my beloved thread!! I was going to preorder this game, but some extra-spending made me wait to buy it after release. After release i read that game is unfinished, blah blah.. ok, i buy it later.. I monitor patch notes and player's posts about the game.. 4 days ago i read that game is much better and playable (with some content blocked out/not available). Np, i say. I really want the game and want to support developer. I buy it. I run it once, start game, play.. everything perfect. I start my empire and even do like 20 turns without even 1 crash. When i close the game and open it again - new patch is out.. Kewl!!
Oh wait... why is the game crashing every 2 minutes now? what happens? uh.. my last save doesn't work.. nvm..
Starting new game..crashed on loading..uhm.. Starting new game again, crashed on first turn.. What?! Starting new game, saving (for first turn crash issue), NOT SAVED - CRASHED... uh oh.. Starting new game, getting first turn to pass, GOOD! Trying to move admirals from one fleet to another - crash.. Selecting research project - crash.. Opening encyclopedia - crash.. Building station - crash.
Deleted the game, downloaded again, installed - same crashes.
I was going to write bug thread on this forum.. I go there and find out that you have to register your game in profile. Ok. I had some weird activation key from the shop where i bought the game (registered in on Steam with success), and the game wouldn't register. So i ask for support at http://paradox.zendesk.com (official page for support tickets by Paradox). Create new ticket.. 3 days have passed, NO RESPONSE. Yes, from Paradox. The ticket status says "This request is awaiting assignment to a help desk operator". 3 days already. LOL. I solved the issue by myself already. This publisher is a joke, tbh. 3 days to help user to register his game on forum to get game support and post bug issue.
Anyways if i would fill out a thread for every DIFFERENT crash i got in game, i would just fill this forum with SO MANY threads.
I bought this game knowing it's incomplete, i knew it. Still i was hoping 2 weeks after release guys would work 24/7 to fix it, even on weekends. I find out i was wrong.

I bought this game knowing it's incomplete, i knew it. Still i was hoping 2 weeks after release guys would work 24/7 to fix it, even on weekends. I find out i was wrong.

So. Your point is you bought a game that you knew was incomplete and buggy, and now your upset that it's incomplete and buggy? If you had done any reading on the forums (as you state you have) you would know that this game would not be complete at this date.
They have already released 8 patches. You can blame them for many things, but complaining that they don't work hard enough on the patching is just silly.

And for the registration of the game, you solved it yourself. There are solutions for it on your "My Games" page, there are already a bunch of threads that discusses it, and you could just have asked in the forums for it, instead of waiting for support from Paradox. I think you can see how someone not finding how to register one game on their forum is not the top of their priorities right now.

1) Much better AI. The core of a game is how challenging it is. ATM SotS2's AI are as challenging as a 2 year old at chess. Lack of sustained gameplay interest caused by failsy AI prevents this game from being fun
Impossible to do until the core game is fully functional. The AI is designed to make use of things like diplomacy which aren't included, and will cause a CTD if the AI tries to call it.
2) Better info and management screens. UI-wise this game is a definate step down from the various screens you had to work with in SotS1
Again, not really something worth doing until you've got all the features in. While you could probably do some minor rejigs on a couple of screens, it's probably better to wait until you've got the game working as it should, then look at what information should be going where.
Saddly i dont think the develoupers share my opinion. They seem to want to focus on reintegrating the various features they cut out of the game before release like trade and diplomacy. Which, while i think it has to be done eventually, is a flawed approach. They should make the CORE of the game work before they add in more features. Especially since each thing they add in will make for more bugs to fix before they get around to fixing these core issues.

Erm, trade and diplomacy are core to the game. One of the reasons the AI keeps failing is because it's trying to trade.

Yeah. I don't think we will have a competitive A.I to play against until most features are in. Well it's that, or Kerberos dedicating time to alter the A.I after every patch and rebalancing it to accommodate for new features.

So. Your point is you bought a game that you knew was incomplete and buggy, and now your upset that it's incomplete and buggy? If you had done any reading on the forums (as you state you have) you would know that this game would not be complete at this date.
Wasn't expecting it to be complete. Not even this month, and by reading current topics not even this year, but i expected that it will be better from patch to patch... not worse. Bought it at the moment i thought i can at least run the game without crashing (pretty much what happened before last patch). I know i was wrong.
They have already released 8 patches. You can blame them for many things, but complaining that they don't work hard enough on the patching is just silly.
Well, apart of this forum i also read other stuff related to Kerberos and SotS. You know, facebook, twitter and etc. I will quote one of Kerberos guys "...I found myself trapped in another city over night..." Uhm, i bet he's developing fixes there for unfinished game they released...in another city. At friday. There are other similar examples, i just won't quote them all. I still hope they are really working hard enough...silly me.

And for the registration of the game, you solved it yourself. There are solutions for it on your "My Games" page, there are already a bunch of threads that discusses it, and you could just have asked in the forums for it, instead of waiting for support from Paradox. I think you can see how someone not finding how to register one game on their forum is not the top of their priorities right now.
Apparently the activation code provided by seller isn't the same as CD key (who would know?). I had to find out that Steam gives another code for the game (never used Steam before, sorry). I didn't find same issue on forums of steam, neither here. I wouldn't post ticket if i would find the answer.

This is "general complaints" meta-thread anyways. That's what i do atm. I wouldn't create new topic to say all of this. I know they have enough "brown substance" around.

Hey just wanted to say that yes we know the registration page leaves a lot to be desired It is currently being rewritten from scratch.
I apologize for any difficulties you encountered and am glad you were able to sort it out.

Wasn't expecting it to be complete. Not even this month, and by reading current topics not even this year, but i expected that it will be better from patch to patch... not worse. Bought it at the moment i thought i can at least run the game without crashing (pretty much what happened before last patch). I know i was wrong.
I do expect the game to get less stable every time they re-enable one of the currently disabled features, so I'm not surprised the last patch made the game more crash-prone. That being said, I haven't experienced this, so it seems like the stability problems affect some users more than others.

Well, apart of this forum i also read other stuff related to Kerberos and SotS. You know, facebook, twitter and etc. I will quote one of Kerberos guys "...I found myself trapped in another city over night..." Uhm, i bet he's developing fixes there for unfinished game they released...in another city. At friday. There are other similar examples, i just won't quote them all. I still hope they are really working hard enough...silly me.
I do not expect the devs to dedicate every waking hour to this game, the do (probably) have a personal life after all. Anyway, having them actually work 24/7 on the game would only be detrimental to the game. A non functioning brain is not a good brain for programming.

Apparently the activation code provided by seller isn't the same as CD key (who would know?). I had to find out that Steam gives another code for the game (never used Steam before, sorry). I didn't find same issue on forums of steam, neither here. I wouldn't post ticket if i would find the answer.

Fair point.

Cheers

also, i'm fairly sure that was the guy who manages their twitter account.

who isn't a programmer.

This is pretty typical of the current state of the "game".

So, my point being, unless you're bloody blind what we currently have to work with is not, in any sense of the word I am familiar with, a "working game."

Folks can lambast the haters all they want, and profess their undying love of all things Kerberos (of whom I am still ostensibly a fan), but that doesn't take away the real, truth, honest, actual, here and now, FACT that Sots ][ is an utterly unplayable mess.

And there have been several posters who've pointed out that they're adding stickers and glitz while the core is a CTD nightmare.

Please stop wasting time with features and make the core-game show some promise - i.e. run for more than an hour or two without a CTD, patch without having to throw away existing saves, etc.

Lol, my beloved thread!! I was going to preorder this game, but some extra-spending made me wait to buy it after release. After release i read that game is unfinished, blah blah.. ok, i buy it later.. I monitor patch notes and player's posts about the game.. 4 days ago i read that game is much better and playable (with some content blocked out/not available). Np, i say. I really want the game and want to support developer. I buy it. I run it once, start game, play.. everything perfect. I start my empire and even do like 20 turns without even 1 crash. When i close the game and open it again - new patch is out.. Kewl!!
Oh wait... why is the game crashing every 2 minutes now? what happens? uh.. my last save doesn't work.. nvm..
Starting new game..crashed on loading..uhm.. Starting new game again, crashed on first turn.. What?! Starting new game, saving (for first turn crash issue), NOT SAVED - CRASHED... uh oh.. Starting new game, getting first turn to pass, GOOD! Trying to move admirals from one fleet to another - crash.. Selecting research project - crash.. Opening encyclopedia - crash.. Building station - crash.
Deleted the game, downloaded again, installed - same crashes.
I was going to write bug thread on this forum.. I go there and find out that you have to register your game in profile. Ok. I had some weird activation key from the shop where i bought the game (registered in on Steam with success), and the game wouldn't register. So i ask for support at http://paradox.zendesk.com (official page for support tickets by Paradox). Create new ticket.. 3 days have passed, NO RESPONSE. Yes, from Paradox. The ticket status says "This request is awaiting assignment to a help desk operator". 3 days already. LOL. I solved the issue by myself already. This publisher is a joke, tbh. 3 days to help user to register his game on forum to get game support and post bug issue.
Anyways if i would fill out a thread for every DIFFERENT crash i got in game, i would just fill this forum with SO MANY threads.

i've been thinking about it and i think the thing that most bugs me about the game is that one of the promises was that there would be a "completely new" race with a unique drive system, only it's seven ships, they belong to the Zuul faction (who i can't play at all well), and their new drive system is just a point-to-point drive no more interesting than the Tarka hyperdrive.

most of the rest is stuff that should be coming, but that one i suspect is finished with, and that bugs me.