• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
36: War

I don't get the last panel...
[pretentiousness] It is a subtle comment on the disenchantment of the individual when they find that they were but pawns in a greater scheme of things, their struggles and honours but exploitable quantities to be used in a rhetoric for war, a game of infinite violence where the lives of countless individuals, many not so different from their own, are thrown under the juggernaut of political ambition. Contrast the medals on their chests with the unseen fates of so many of the soldiers marching in the background or packing trains headed for the front, who will die but not be called heroes. The sun of youthful enthusiasm sets on their backs, while the shadow of mournful experience is all that remains on their faces - yet it is that same sun that seems to call those throngs of young soldiers forward (who should, but for artistic liberty, be headed east). As the smoke rising from the war-bound train seems to merge with the dark altocumulous clouds on the horizon, so too will the lives of those on board it be swept by the winds of chance to fates unknown, but mostly beyond the reach of the sun's rays. [/pretentiousness]

A thanks to all who have kept reading this, and a warm welcome to the newcomers and those who posted during the past month - when I was too distracted to pay proper attention to this forum!

Last edited:
as ever, well judged genius, especially the last panel which I found a neat play on the nile nailers and a feeling of being the cause of something they really don't want to take part in. Dailip is becoming quite the little realpolitik statesmen as he goes on

[pretentiousness] It is a subtle comment on the disenchantment of the individual when they find that they were but pawns in a greater scheme of things, their struggles and honours but exploitable quantities to be used in a rhetoric for war, a game of infinite violence where the lives of countless individuals, many not so different from their own, are thrown under the juggernaut of political ambition. Contrast the medals on their chests with the unseen fates of so many of the soldiers marching in the background or packing trains headed for the front, who will die but not be called heroes. The sun of youthful enthusiasm sets on their backs, while the shadow of mournful experience is all that remains on their faces - yet it is that same sun that seems to call those throngs of young soldiers forward (who should, but for artistic liberty, be headed east). As the smoke rising from the war-bound train seems to merge with the dark altocumulous clouds on the horizon, so too will the lives of those on board it be swept by the winds of chance to fates unknown, but mostly beyond the reach of the sun's rays. [/pretentiousness]
Someone is channelling a art critic, methinks ;)

Back on the beef, I noticed Russia in the list of foes. Can't they reach you via north? We don't see a map of the area north of you for quite a while, so it is hard to tell how far are they and how effective they were in munching the Central Asian entities. Anyway, I suppose that they don't have any way of passing through Afghan lands, so it might be a moot point in the end :p

P.S Poor Nile Nailers. They seem ripped from a Tolstoi novel :D

Delicious! I can't wait for the next one!

What have they started indeed? On a gameplay note, how jingoistic has Panjabi society become? I know from my own experiences that regular wars will cause POPs to polarise between militarists and anti-militarists, so it would seem likely that long-term wars against China and now the UK could be having the same impact here.

I, too, loved the last panel. This is getting dramatic! :D

A quick reply to all before posting the next page,
- Yes, my chances of victory are very, very good - but it's not certain, and Russia does pose a potential threat - although I had not taken it very seriously in the early stages of this war.
- I am not a genius - merely a fan of creative story-telling and gaming. :)
- Panjab is rather jingoistic - this will have some effect on the story in later pages, so I shouldn't give out too much.
- The Nile Nailers feel a lot worse than they should, seeing as the war would have started when it did regardless of their success or failure. But try telling them that...
- (@ thekinguter) Panjab has been industrializing rapidly ever since its westernization - I hinted at that with the chimneys that have appeared in Lahore's background.
- Drama! Comedy! Action! Possibly shading! All these and more in... Subcontinental Subtleties!