+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 66 1 2 3 11 26 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Subcontinental Subtleties: An experimental comic AAR

HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Subcontinental Subtleties: An experimental comic AAR

This being my sixth AAR in one year, I couldn't bring myself to repeat my previous styles, especially since after my last one the majority vote was for a Panjab AAR and I'm not as easily inspired by big countries (and Panjab -> India gets big...) as by small, struggling ones. I've experimented with comic AARs before, though not in this forum and not in this style (if you google 'Oran' (the name of the AAR) and 'Seleucos of Olympia' (my username in TW-related fora) you can find one I once did for Empire: Total War). I still don't know how time-consuming this will get, but that's part of the experiment. If I have to cut it short, it will be a first among my Vic2 AARs, but well worth it for the experience, I hope.

The art style can only be described as derivative. 'MS Paint Adventures' and 'The Order of the Stick' (not to mention 'Cyanide and Happiness' and even more minimalistic webcomics such as 'xkcd' and 'Abstruse Goose') have influenced it immensely. Nevertheless, I hope it will have some entertainment value here.

Without further ado, I present:

Subcontinental Subtleties

Table of Contents:

01: It Begins
    02: Diplomacy
    03: Greatness
    04: The Desert
    05: The Mountain
    06: The Terms
    07: Idealism
    08: Succession
    09: Inheritance
    10: The Sphere
    11: Progress
    12: Sphere Dysfunction
    13: Homecoming
    14: Victory
    15: Progress II
    16: The Sound of a Cranial Aneurysm
    17: Succession II
    18: Machinations
    19: The Art of the Possible
    20: The Reed that Bends Before the Wind
    21: Parliament
    22: Changes
    23: The Quest
    24: Simla and Firozpur
    25: Delhi
    26: Greatness II
    27: Parliament II
    28: Victory II
    29: Liberalism
    30: Liberalism II
    31: Free Trade
    32: Free Trade II
    33: The Expedition
    34: The Expedition II
    35: The Quest II
    36: War
    37: Benares
    38: Enemy at the Gates
    39: Jumla
    40: Jumla II
    41: Diplomacy II
    42: Company
    43: Crowning Moment of Coronation
    44: Victory III
    45: Succession III
    46: A Walk
    47: A Walk II
    48: Beroda
    49: The Indian Minor Tour
    50: Bang! (animated!)
    51: Recovery
    52: The Return of the King
    53: War II
    54: More War
    55: Tibet
    56: A Chat
    57: A Chat II
    58: Preparations
    59: Tibet II
    60: Tibet III
    61: Homecoming II
    62: Factions
    63: The Art of the Possible II
    64: Sunset

Subcontinental Sublimations:
    17x1: Maharaja's Dream
    23x2: Maharaja's Quest
    31x3: Easter Special
    41x4: Mangala and the Maharaja
    44x5: Maharaja's Monologue

Subcontinental Subplots:
    19y1: The Most Dangerous Game

Now also available as an ebook, courtesy of aldriq!
    Click here for the PDF version and here for the ibooks version (macs only).
    Last edited by Selzro; 01-01-2014 at 21:28.
    My AARs: A History of the Wars of the Achaean League (EU Rome Gold) - ongoing --- Subcontinental Subtleties (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - webcomic; complete - *multi-award-winning* --- Sing a Septinsular Song (Ionian Islands) (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - complete - *Winner of the VictAARian Cross, for Best Completed 2011 AAR* --- Tunis Delenda Est (Victoria 2, v1.2) - complete --- and more (all completed): check my inkwell

My mods: The 1948 Arab-Israeli War (battlescenario for HoI2, Doomsday and Armageddon. Current version: 1.1)

Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic

01: It Begins

My AARs: A History of the Wars of the Achaean League (EU Rome Gold) - ongoing --- Subcontinental Subtleties (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - webcomic; complete - *multi-award-winning* --- Sing a Septinsular Song (Ionian Islands) (Victoria 2, v1.4b) - complete - *Winner of the VictAARian Cross, for Best Completed 2011 AAR* --- Tunis Delenda Est (Victoria 2, v1.2) - complete --- and more (all completed): check my inkwell

My mods: The 1948 Arab-Israeli War (battlescenario for HoI2, Doomsday and Armageddon. Current version: 1.1)

02: Diplomacy

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Heh, looking nice! Let's see where you take this...
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

Indefatigable Psychotic tamius23's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India

I'll follow this. I like the king's throne, it looks like a tree-stump.

Unrepentant Literal Democrat Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Only just a few hours ago I was looking for a good V2 Panjab AAR, freaky...

I really like your art style Selzro, although I do feel you should have invaded Afghanistan rather than Kalat.
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

Slacker Extraordinaire Zzzzz...'s Avatar
    67 games registered

If the place is comfy to sleep in, yes, you can find me there!
    I like this.
    The list of all my AARs: INKWELL

Current AAR: Golden Sun - A KR Kurdistan AAR - Darkest Hour
    The Policies of Grandeur - Coming Soon!

I am the one who outs Comm Cody's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIISemper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    Only just a few hours ago I was looking for a good V2 Panjab AAR, freaky...

I really like your art style Selzro, although I do feel you should have invaded Afghanistan rather than Kalat.
    And have a 10 year insurgency that the country doesn't approve of while your rival pours in weapons to arm them?

Or make them a Puppet that has no control over the country without your military?

Comm Cody on some forums, 2nd_Lt_Cody on others, and Pvt. Adams [29th ID] or 2nd_Lt_Cody on steam.
    I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing!

\[T]/ ☼ Do you even praise the sun?

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The ExiledEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    EUIV: Art of War

Blog Entries
    Kalat hasa shorter name than afhganistan. Hence they should go first.

Common sense *nods*
    "Man is free; but his freedom does not look like the glorious liberty of the Enlightenment; it is no longer the gift of God. Once again, man stands alone in the universe, responsible for his condition, likely to remain in a lowly state, but free to reach above the stars.."
    -Jean-Paul Sartré

Unrepentant Literal Democrat Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Quote Originally Posted by Comm Cody View Post
    And have a 10 year insurgency that the country doesn't approve of while your rival pours in weapons to arm them?

Or make them a Puppet that has no control over the country without your military?

It really shouldn't take you 10 years to beat Afghanistan, unless you have absolutely no idea what you're doing and/or are the USSR.
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

Thanks for the early comments, everyone! It feels funny to me whenever I don't have at least one port, so I decided to go for Sindh rather than Afghanistan, while accepting the alliance offer from Kalat to cover my back. It may not be the optimal strategy long-term, but at least Sindh is weak so its army could be defeated easily, while Afghanistan would take longer and possibly invite some other country to invade while I'm busy there. China has been known to meddle in Panjab, and it should not be taken lightly.

Divine WindHeir to the ThroneSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Talking of China, I had a game as Panjab and China attacked me late in the game. I was able to fend them off in the Himalayas and demanded Taiwan.

I went for Afghanistan first then attacked Khiva and colonised to the Caspian Sea. Then I went through Sindh and colonised eastern Africa.

Hm, I hadn't considered colonizing the Caspian Sea. In fact, that's one thing I don't believe I've done in any of my games. But I've already played ahead a lot of years (at first I couldn't think of a good way to present a new AAR so I kept playing until this concept sprung to mind. Now I'm synthesizing the story from old screenshots and what I remember of my motives and actions). Colonizing eastern Africa is still an option, but I might prefer to focus on a unified India first and foremost. I think India, by itself, has what it takes to become the #1 GP by game's end, so I may opt to put that theory to the test.

03: Greatness

200k clubHoI AnthologyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    LegioMagickaEuropa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Pretty awesome job in the fourth panel, cramming the map on that paper.
    Read my Cuzco MEIOU AAR Children of the Sun! (ongoing)
    AARland Choice AwAARd: EU Gameplay Q1 & Q2 2011, Weekly AAR Showcase 17-10-2010,

Follow Gentlemen in Germany - a Brunswick AAR! (ongoing)

Participating in 1001 Sultans - A Jalayirids Succession AAR (ongoing)

WritAAR of the Week 24-5-2011, Fan of the Week 3-12-2009 & 15-1-2012
    Speed - A Castille (mini-?)AAR (finished)
    Took part in the HT Succession Game (finished)

Great idea and good job - I like your style and humour.

Have fun fighting China. You'll need to use the mountains.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandPride of Nations500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

You seem to be going for the title of most innovative V2 AARs what with this and Sing a Septinuslar Song.

I love the artwork. Your citing Order of the Stick as a reference makes a lot of sense as it's a similar style and executed brilliantly.
    AAR in progress
    Yet this will go onward the same: the Yamato Destiny - Continuation of the last AAR in Victoria 2. Last updated 17th October 2012

Completed AAR
    The Yamato Destiny: A Japan HTTT AAR

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

This is absolutely fantastic! I love it already, and I'm sure it will get even better.
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have finished, check out the winners!! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: Warband

Blog Entries
    "What ever happened to the Game of Diplomacy?"

"Declaring War is Diplomatic. Kind of."

Let's not forget this instant classic.

"We will bring a crew to redecorate the palace soon enough. Best of health."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 66 1 2 3 11 26 51 ... LastLast