• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Malurous: Thanks!
Selvetrica: I tried to take a world map, but pressing F12 crashed the game. If anyone know why, could they tell me?
Dewirix: Sadly Bavaria isn’t my only competitor any more, as the last image of this update shows.
Selzro: Thanks for the tip about influence; as things are looking tenuous again I’ll make sure to remember it.
morningSIDEr: I think all the conquest is helping. I haven’t really focused on my economy (besides industrialisation) as my economy hasn’t had any problems. Apart from times of mass-construction, I’ve stayed in the green constantly.

Sorry for the time it took to get this update up. I've had a very busy week.

Across Oceans: Brazil’s Ongoing Struggle
Chapter Five: Power to the (Rich) People

m5BDT.jpg

As the majority of the colonial armies were already stationed in Asia it was obvious that the next target should be in the region. Brunei and Atjeh were the most obvious targets, continuing Brazil’s expansion into the islands of the region. However, France had been making serious efforts to befriend Brunei and would be likely to come to their aid in a war. A war with France would be a risk at the current time, so Atjeh was chosen as the target.

kiyOs.jpg

As the 1850’s dawned, the Liberals continued to make gains in the Upper House. As a coalition of some of the less traditionalist aristocrats and capitalists seeking greater influence they sought the opening of elections so they could place a party more open to free capitalism in power.

bssdp.jpg

War was declared on Atjeh, and the armies moved apparently unopposed onto the southern end of their island.

uMBN7.jpg

Meanwhile, the Bohemian Emperor had for some reason decreed that the nation would be known as Czechoslovakia. It seemed that he was aiming to move away from the symbols of the old feudal kingdom and replace them with ones for a more modern, cosmopolitan, empire.

0N3QI.jpg

The dawn of the new decade was opening up many new fields of art, the foremost of these being the Impressionists. Carlo I began to fund them to continue his long-standing patronage of the arts.

zkZ4P.jpg

The sole battle of the Atjehan war was fought on Java of all places. A small contingent had landed there, but they were easily brushed aside by the Asia Station when it was shipped in to deal with them. The rest of their army was nowhere to be seen.

A7MOB.jpg

In South America, Colombia had been busy. In a short series of wars they had utterly crushed Venezuela and now they were in negotiations with France to come under their protection. Carlo silently seethed that he had lost the chance to rein them in and remove French influence entirely earlier.

5TVOb.jpg

To make matters worse for him, in 1851 the Liberals had finally assembled enough support to force him to open up elections to the landed classes. His forcing of the Partido Caramuru onto the government had finally caught up and now to prevent the government from being shut down by angry capitalists he had to agree to hold election.

sbJ2h.jpg

The occupation of Atjeh was entirely unopposed. No Atjehan troops could be found anywhere.

d5SJV.jpg

By putting down the rights of the upper class to vote in writing, Carlo I had to admit that the nation was slipping into a more constitutional government. Brazil’s first election, held shortly afterwards, was a quiet affair dominated mostly by religious debates. The parties had already hammered out their economic policies in the Upper House, but now they were speaking to the country at large and were trying to justify their stances to non-political elites and keep the commoners placated.

X1Fl3.jpg

The war in the East Indies ended predictably. The entire southern half of the island fell to Brazil.

GiDGu.jpg

As predicted, the elections resulted in the Partido Liberal returning to power. Carlo and many of the state capitalist supporters hoped that the build up they had conducted would be enough to get the capitalists to begin starting factories of their own accord.

ppT7g.jpg

Worrying news came from the Orient. China, having won a great victory against the warlords in the south, had begun a major program of modernisation to catch up to the rest of the world. The sheer size of their military already thrust them close to Great Power status. Another competitor for Brazil’s ambitions.

k63dE.jpg

In the first reshuffling since the election, the Upper House saw major gains for both the Liberals and Reactionaries, as their election victory had increased the polarisation between the side looking for change and the side wanting to go back to the old ways.

l237z.jpg

Shortly thereafter Europe was in flames once again. Britain and France were at war after Britain had fought the United States to a standstill, Southern Germany was in chaos as Switzerland and Austria fought Bavaria and Sicily who in turn fought Nassau, and Russia was under heavy pressure from Czechoslovakia to concede some of their eastern territory.

XBVFQ.jpg

China finally became a Great Power after annexing the remnants of Mongolia. Now they prepared to finish off the remaining warlords and began exerting their influence in Asia.

6rVoh.jpg

Brazil’s rapid patronage of Impressionist art was already having a major impact on its prestige. This might well have been the boost needed. In the meantime research had returned to improving the railways further.

UwrtO.jpg

In the north, French designs on the Americas became highly overt as they seized large regions of Canada. (This is partially my fault for not properly cleaning up European cores before converting.)

H7eLJ.jpg

However, Brazil was now in place to do something about that. Finally returning to the Great Powers (throwing out Prussia in the process), Carlo had no intention of letting it slip away from him again. His first aim: throw the French out of Colombia, then repeat that until all of South America was free of European influence and filled with his own.

The question was, could he hold onto it with the industrial development slipping out of his control and Prussia and the USA nipping at his heels and eager to steal his place.

To be continued…

Last edited:
Eighth to tenth within two points? :eek: Talk about tight...

Very gripping stuff considering how close the scores are amongst those just outsde the GP and Brazil. I think Carlo's ambition is sound; asserting Brazilian dominance on South America, the problem is realising said ambition when ravenous European powers such as France continue to strengthen their grip in America. Carlo has a tough task ahead.

Malurous: If only it stayed that way…
morningSIDEr: It’s definitely going to be tough. I do have a plan for later though, as I checked out the tech levels and noticed that everyone (civilised at least) started on an approximately equal tech and literacy level. A bit of research in the right area should give me a nice advantage.

Chapter Six: Shut Out

kPw2H.jpg

Almost immediately, America’s industrial growth brought it greater than Brazil. Carlo acted quickly to begin improving relations with Colombia to make as much progress as possible but the Russians were also interested in developing relations with them and launched a smear campaign that severely hurt Brazilian influence. (Also I didn’t realise that point allocations don’t reset, so for six months I was spending half my influence on Argentina as well.)

KvIS7.jpg

The diplomats were just barely able to improve Colombia’s relationship with Brazil before they were thrown out for being irrelevant compared to the rapidly rising power of the USA.

WnBvu.jpg

With America accelerating out of reach for the moment, there was no pressing need to keep up the size of the navy. The old clipper transports were finally dismantled and replaced.

gEwdQ.jpg

Brazil’s second elections opened up with one question on everyone’s minds. What could be done to make the world see Brazil’s greatness?

Yjk6a.jpg

With the military victories in Africa and Asia, the debate was naturally focused on the role the armed forces would play. Many people were beginning to see force as the best way to improve Brazil’s standing, as the art patronage of the king had not quite been enough.

eVmhN.jpg

However while many spoke of war, very few people wanted one at the moment. Those that did were very over-eager, even forging an excuse for war with Mexico even though they were colonising completely different regions to Brazil.

o2NQb.jpg

There was also significant debate between those who wished to see greater immigration to man Brazil’s factories and those who were concerned about the impact it would have. Given that the factories were far from full, Carlo I officially supported full citizenship for those who would take up empty jobs and fuel Brazil’s further rise.

GU2LG.jpg

The Partido Liberal won out once again. Their Pro-Military stance won them many votes even though they had done little to improve Brazil’s industry directly.

DW7uu.jpg

Most of the countries Capitalists were working on building up the rail infrastructure, and only as the iron rails were laid out across the nation did they finally start putting money into factories.

uyBj9.jpg

Elsewhere in the world, Hungary continued its strange colonialism in Arabia.

v374C.jpg

They were not the only ones interested in the Middle East. Czechoslovakia had launched an all-out invasion of the Ottoman Empire and sent large teams of archaeologists into Egypt to uncover prestigious treasures.

T8aJ9.jpg

They also called Brazil into a war with Bhutan. No one was sure why they called for support in this case, especially when Brazil could not even reach the land-locked nation, but the call was accepted anyway.

cvq36.jpg

As the war had driven up military costs anyway as the armies were placed on standby, it was decided that they might as well not go to waste. Now that the Africa Expedition had returned from Asia, Sokoto was wide open for invasion.

8iyxJ.jpg

A few years earlier, Brazil had dispatched a botanical expedition into Africa. Their sudden disappearance and presumed deaths, especially after the failure of the previous expedition, made Brazil the laughing stock of the scientific community and severely hurt its prestige.

whhGk.jpg

In an effort to rebuild relations with the biologist community, Brazilian scientists agreed to begin discussing Darwin’s theories on evolution which had recently been published. Opening up the debate also had the effect of improving the educational standards of the nation as curriculums became more based on fact than doctrine.

ihyPJ.jpg

The war in Sokoto went smoothly, and Ghana was conquered. The Africa Expedition left the Sokot to let them deal with their own rebel problem.

GPOrT.jpg

It was not nearly enough to change the situation. The past few years had seen America run away with industrial growth. While Brazil remained the greatest of the secondary powers, the USA was fifty percent greater overall and continuing to rise. There was now no longer any nation among the Great Powers that Brazil could easily catch up to. For all intents and purposes, the gates had been shut. The question was, what would Brazil do now?

To be continued…

Wow, that's quite an improvement for the US in such a short time! Seems that if Brazil wants the GP status, it'll have to work for it...

Having the Darwinism event fire should prove very useful. If you can stay ahead of the pack with regards to researching technology quickly, you should be able to finally secure a GP position. Taking further chunks of Africa should also prove handy. It must be galling to be stuck at 9th at present, but 5th-8th are not too far off.

Very interesting read. Just starting to consider acquiring V2 myself, and I think conversion offers lots of potential for fun and games :)

The race to be a GP is quite exciting.

Ouch, tough luck being knocked over by the US. I was hoping to see the start of a Brazilian Monroe Doctrine.

Malurous: Looks like it. What I really need to do is get my industry properly up to scratch.
morningSIDEr: That’s what I’m counting on. I can’t remember if I mentioned it but the convertor started everyone on (almost) the same tech and literacy footing, so my focus on culture techs should start paying off as I pull ahead of some of my competitors.
stnylan: Thanks! It is quite excluding when there are so many good candidates. Hopefully the Netherlands won’t be a good candidate for much longer though.
NapoleanComple: The Monroe Doctrine? Pssh. I have much greater plans than that for when I’m a solid GP. :p
tamius23: Correct.

Sorry about the long delay for this update. I got caught up in my personal V2 games, and then Christmas happened and it kind of got lost in the festivities. Now that things are back to normal I should be able to resume this AAR.

Chapter Seven: Taking Charge

hcvLz.jpg

With the USA’s meteoric rise and the continued ineffectual efforts of the wealthy of Brazil, Carlo decided that it was time to take matter into his own hands again. Supported by his most trusted advisors he ordered the shutdown of the factories that were relying on government subsidy to stay afloat. This would spread the workers out to the more profitable factories, increasing production and the wealth coming into the country. As the next few years passed by this came close to doubling the total industrial capacity of the nation, although it was still not close to most of the Great Powers.

(Can you tell I’ve gotten more experience at managing the economy in V2 in the hiatus? :p)

zDlHE.jpg

Research into new industrial technology also aided the development.

Yv5KZ.jpg

War continued to rage across the world. In Europe, the Czech invasion of Hungary was going at full pace and Bavaria struggled under a combined invasion by Switzerland and Nassau. Elsewhere France made gains against the Netherlands and Portugal.

Gv4oz.jpg

Carlo knew that Brazil would be irrelevant in the greater politics of the world as a Secondary Power if all they did was nibble at the uncivilized nations. It was time to show what they could do against Europeans, and Trieste offered the perfect chance. The tiny coastal state had collapsed under a wave of Slavic nationalism that was taking advantage of Hungary’s weakness. It also meant that it had not repaid its debts. It didn’t take much effort for Brazilian forces to extract their pound of flesh. Trieste was weak, but it reaffirmed Brazil’s ability to strike within the Old World.

yooft.jpg

The elections of 1860 came and went without much incident. Despite the best efforts of Carlo to promote state-controlled capitalism, the dominance of the wealthy meant that the Liberals got into power once again and full control of the economy remained out of reach.

Lp5eu.jpg

The new decade meant new ways of thinking. Looking empirically at the world was taking off and boosting the research of the nation as they began to look at things objectively.

kCvcE.jpg

In Europe, the Netherlands suffered yet another defeat and loss of territory to France. As the weakest of the Great Powers already this could only help Brazil in its ascent. They were still far above them, but every little bit of weakness helped.

maXKl.jpg

The spread-out nature of the Brazilian Empire meant that it was highly reliant on the navy to maintain dominance. With the continued growth of France and the other Great Powers, it was absolutely necessary to keep up to date with the latest developments. A dedicated combat force of ironclad monitors was constructed to guard the Brazilian mainland once their development was completed.

vdDWe.jpg

Interesting political news came from America. The French were continuing to expand their hegemony by invading their former colony. However, unlike the Netherland or Canada the USA was rising to become one of the top four Great Powers. This would be a fight to watch.

iEagS.jpg

In Africa, the British completed a major canal project that cut across Suez and finally linked the Mediterranean and the Red Sea. The prestige of a project like that would go far to boosting Brazil, but until it became a Great Power again it could not hope to do the same in Panama.

cRugC.jpg

Despite focusing on industry and the military, Carlo made sure not to neglect the arts that took Brazil to where it was.

Tc2WP.jpg

Switzerland had suffered greatly from repeated wars against France, Sicily and its German neighbours. With the horrors of war right on its doorstep it proposed to establish a treaty that would protect the common soldiers from the worst that the battlefield. Carlo was happy to sign the treaty, as were the rest of the world’s leaders. Whether anybody kept to all the words of the treaty was another matter of course.

lZBwj.jpg

In 1864, the Upper House saw a major resurgence of liberals after several years of slowly losing ground. Carlo took this chance to push through laws that expanded vote franchise to the middle classes, with some concessions. He wanted to do anything he could to minimise the power of the wealthy but lazy capitalists that were holding back the nation.

BwSvc.jpg

Most of the past five years had been spent waiting for a chance to do something that would really put Brazil back on the map. The incident in Trieste hardly counted, and picking away at Sokoto or Atjeh would not accomplish much. That opportunity had finally come with an incident in the Caribbean. Spanish authorities detained Brazilian traders who had inadvertently sailed into Spanish territorial waters. This was the perfect justification to trim down those territorial waters, and in the process take a step towards ridding the New World of the Europeans. Spain was weak from repeated wars with France and Portugal. Now was the time to strike.

To be continued…

The border incident seems to have fired at just the right time. Defeating Spain will hopefully bring you back into GP status. Especially with the Netherlands having been recently bested by France. Domestically I can understand Carlo's frustration, having to rely upon the AI to power your industry can be very vexing at times!

The real question is, who is Spain's sphere master? Unless, of course, they're somehow still a GP this late in the game!

morningSIDEr: I’m not sure how the Netherlands are holding on so well to their place to be honest. I think one problem is that territory that they have in EU3 at conversion is automatically considered a full state inV2, which gives them a huge operating base in the East Indies even as the Netherlands themselves are overrun.
Avindian: That isn’t a problem. The AI GPs are too busy fighting one another for influence to even get to friendly.
Selvetrica: Thanks!

I have a larger overall plan for the future, but it will probably require some prose interludes for better explanation. It also gives me a chance to delve into some of the 1399-1750 story which wasn’t completely explained in the EU3 portion. I hope it’s okay.

Chapter Eight: The Caribbean War

Somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean
Granadan Carrack “Muhammed al-Faqih”

The navigator scribbled diligently, ignoring the incessant rocking of the ship as he continued copying the charts he had been handed by the captain. This was the second expedition by the Iberian Muslims to the lands they had discovered in the west, but last time their navigator was clearly incompetent, as he had left reams of maps and charts without bothering to collate or organise them.

“Land sighted!” bellowed the cry of one of the Islamic crew on the deck outside.

“Just as I predicted,” the navigator muttered to himself as he quickly pulled out his instruments and double checked the chart of the island chain he’d managed to assemble from the scraps left by his predecessor. His skills were exactly why he’d been noticed by the Granadan envoy in Florence and hired for this trip.

Before he had even finished, there was a banging at the door.

“Stop hiding away and come have a look!” the boisterous voice of the captain came in broken Italian. The navigator took another minute to finish his calculations before answering.

“Apologies, captain,” he said as he opened the door and stepped out onto the deck, “I wanted to make sure we were in the correct location.”

Before he could continue his explanation he was dumbstruck. Ahead of them the island loomed with the sun setting behind it. After months cooped up on a ship with nothing but the ocean around him, the sight of land was a relief. Even if his calculations and charts had shown exactly when they should arrive, seeing it with his own eyes was another experience altogether.

“It’s enough to make men fall to their knees and pray, is it not?” the captain asked while he and the navigator walked up to the bow of the carrack. He continued, “To see Jadakal again after so long is an amazing sight.”

“I’ve heard that mentioned among the crew before, is that what you’re naming this island?” the navigator asked, temporarily snapping out of his daze.

“No, that’s what we’re naming all of this.” The captain stretched his arms out to encompass everything that lay west of them. Beyond just this island was an entire chain and rumours of a massive landmass further still. “A ‘New Land’ for us to spread the words of Muhammad (PBUH) and prosper. Just think, a place where we can be free of the wars of Europe and live in peace.”

“What happens when more Christians like me start to come, they might resume the conflicts over here. They’d probably even be opposed to the name you give this place.”

“That’s a question for our descendants I think. Hopefully bringing you can foster a peaceful conquest of Jadakal between our religions. Who know, they might even name parts of it after you when you return, Mr Vespucci.”

He gave a hearty laugh and patted the Italian on the back, before heading back to his crew to begin preparations to land. The navigator stood where he was for a while longer. He watched from the deck of the carrack as the skies above the islands of Jadakal burnt orange and red from the setting sun.

380 years later…
Off the coast of Antigua
BNC Javary

King Carlo I watched from the deck of the monitor as the skies of the Caribbean burnt orange and red from explosions and gunfire thundering in the distance. The Spanish garrison would pose no threat to the marines landing, which was the only reason the commanders had allowed him to come so close to the front lines anyway, and soon the island would fall to Brazil. It was just one more step towards removing the European presence from…

Where exactly was he intending to save? North America seemed like a lost cause. The French had defeated the Americans and retaken the north-eastern regions of New France. The British still held tightly onto Florida. On the other hand South America…no, Jadakal, from the name that the original explorers from Muslim Iberia gave to it, remained free of European influence. But with the continuing growth in the power of France and the others, how long would that last? Brazil needed to rise to the top and master the Jadakali nations itself to ensure that that never came to pass.

The first civilized men to set foot on this land envisioned the virgin continent as a free and prosperous land united under a single banner. Carlo was beginning to envision exactly the same thing, although he was old enough now that he was unlikely to live to see it happen. While the Crescent and Star would never dominant Jadakal as they had hoped, the future would almost certainly see a flag flying over it. Not a European flag, Carlo hoped, but his flag.

“Captain, I’ve seen enough. Take me back to Jadakal,” he spoke as he turned to the commander of the vessel.

“Sir?” the captain asked. He looked confused for a moment before saluting and walking away. Within minutes smoke began to pour from the engines as the modern warship moved off to carry its precious cargo to where he could get down to work.

P0so7.jpg

Spain was an isolated, falling power. While they continued to expand in Africa, they had lost significant ground to the French in Europe and were now in danger of falling into their sphere of influence. French control was not entrenched enough to pose a threat to the plan however.

(Also, go China!)

1bq1d.jpg

The Brazilian Army was loaded onto the Atlantic Transport Fleet and escorted by the modern Battle Fleet to the Caribbean. From there they found the island chain almost completely undefended, and so they launched the invasion at the same time as war was declared upon Spain.

PlFLd.jpg

The Brazilian base in Gibraltar was overrun as expected. There wasn’t much that could be done until the colonies were secure.

kBK0t.jpg

In Africa Brazilian and Spanish troops met in battle for the first time along the colonial border. The result was a decisive victory. Overall the Africa front was a win for Brazil, as the Spanish colonial garrison was too weak to match up to the well equipped Africa Expedition.

gLqry.jpg

The elections of 1865 were uneventful, with the Partido Liberal gaining a majority once again despite the king’s best efforts.

IfnTI.jpg

Once a port had been secured in the Caribbean, the Battle Fleet was deployed to the Spanish coast. Scouts had reported that the Spanish fleet was still one of sail, so this was the perfect chance to show the world the power of the newly modernized Brazilian navy.

1f1eU.jpg

Their power was more than enough to rip apart the wooden ships that the Spanish deployed. The main Spanish fleet retreated in disarray and a smaller squadron that had been intended to reinforce it was wiped out completely. The Battle Fleet then went on to begin blockading the Spanish Coast.

rNGmW.jpg

With victory on the seas, the Spanish were trapped in Europe and had no way to defend their colonies. This was the perfect time for Carlo to declare that the Spanish were to be driven entirely from the New World. The remainder of the islands that were not already being contested were now up for grabs.

(I know it’s a bit cheesy, but the Spanish Caribbean islands are spread across three states and I really don’t want to eat 20 infamy for the sake of rp consistency and a couple of worthless rocks. They’re small and irrelevant enough to count for one state in total imo anyway.)

Jg57Y.jpg

The victory also spurred a surge of nationalist fervour and increasing support for the state. The common man was beginning to see the spread of the Brazilian Empire as great accomplishment.

MKMn2.jpg

The Battle Fleet continued to show its power as it obliterated another Spanish squadron without even returning home for repair. Meanwhile, the conquest of the Caribbean was complete and now the Brazilian armies were island hopping their way across the Atlantic to liberate Gibraltar.

zPZ9i.jpg

However their overconfidence was their weakness. Upon landing in Gibraltar the main bulk of the Spanish army could descend, hungry for blood, upon them. A combination of bad luck and lack of professionalism amongst the officers who bickered amongst themselves lead to the first, and thankfully only, major defeat of the war. The Brazilian Army retreated to lick its wounds and gather reinforcements.

OaUXm.jpg

A much stricter training program was implemented for officers to ensure that the military acted like a military instead of a squabbling feudal levy.

PTLBI.jpg

All this took time however, and by this time the war was entering its fourth year. The blockade of the mainland prevented Spain from accomplishing anything but for the longest time the Spanish Army was too strong to land directly. Finally enough men were mustered to land and retake Gibraltar. The Spanish refused to engage the newly organised Brazilian forces, allowing them to take the western half of the country with impunity.

BQGqc.jpg

Meanwhile, Carlo had been steadily working on expanding vote franchise to weaken the capitalists. The majority of the lower class was conservative, which played into his hands in bringing back state capitalism. Universal franchise was finally in place in time for the 1869 elections.

sjyju.jpg

However something came up that he did not expect. A radical new ideology was published by Karl Marx, an immigrant from war-torn Germany. Socialism rapidly began to spread amongst the lower classes, which split their vote and ultimately led to the Liberals winning the election again. That wasn’t the thing that concerned Carlo the most however. They proposed a much more radical state-controlled economy than the state-led capitalism that he was interested in. He was also concerned about their more progressive policies such as being anti-military and giving full rights to minorities. Had he inadvertently handed them the keys to power with his voting reforms?

IEhHB.jpg

Word came from Colombia of the completion of the Panama Canal, much to his further disappointment. France gained significant prestige and economic power from controlling this new trade route across the dividing line between America and Jadakal.

ICAEh.jpg

Finally the Spanish submitted and turned over their Caribbean territory to Brazil. The army and navy could finally stand down and rest. It would be a while before they could campaign again, as there was significant restructuring to do.

6VMWH.jpg

The socialists were already making their presence known, as they were just enough in the Upper House to let the Liberals push through the reform they had been demanding even while Carlo was focused on voting franchise.

7ILz1.jpg

The 1870s dawned with another new, analytical, outlook on the world. The victory over Spain had earned Brazil a lot of renown and it was close to re-entering the ranks of the Great Powers. However with a new and dangerous philosophy within its borders the situation was ripe for decisive change.

(Minor note on our rank: Russia has been weakened a lot by a war they’re in and dropped to 9th, so once that’s over they might bounce right back up and overtake us again..)

To be continued…

I like the narrative section detailing the finding and settling of Jadakal! I look forward to more such sections, the EU3 portion of this AAR was very good but started after all of the colonisation has been completed, thus learning about exactly what happened makes for a good read. As for the war against Spain, glad to see everything went swimmingly. Annoying though that the constant yo-yo in and out of being a GP seems to continue, hopefully Russia do not recover too strongly though!

Oh and, go China indeed!

State of the Nation and the World: 1870

I didn’t do one of these earlier because it would crash whenever I tried to take a full-map screenshot. That got fixed somehow so here we are.

Budget

fQqsa.jpg

Tech
(Links to save space)

Army
Navy
Commerce
Culture
Industry

Regarding Machine Guns (and Analytical Philosophy); I basically spent three years saving up RP instead of researching to get these valuable techs asap once 1870 hit.

Politics

tLRAV.jpg

Population

nktUJ.jpg

Notably the Brazilian population has skyrocketed over the course of the last update from 6.73 million to 8.32 million, or 1.58 million in growth. That’s only adult males so the total population is already 33.30 million. The political reforms are really paying off now.

Nations by score

XUEEf.jpg

This is actually about a month after the end of the update, which is why Brazil has moved up to seventh as we got a bit more score or the Two Sicilies dropped a bit of score. I don’t know how stable the Two Sicilies’ score is though so that might not be permanent.

Nations by population

yMq2N.jpg

World Map

QAyWY.png

Click for larger

I’m sure there’s plenty of weirdness going on here you can see for yourselves. :p Some of it is my fault for not cleaning up cores properly (UK taking bits of France), but other bits are all the AI’s doing (Hungary in Arabia and Ethiopia).

I’m sure there’s plenty of weirdness going on here you can see for yourselves. :p

Plenty of weirdness indeed! Good to see you've nudged ahead of Two Sicilies, for however long a time, hopefully that means you really will be able to keep a GP place this time. All of the other info seems good; growing population, nice technological progress (especially with culture), Brazil is coming along nicely.

morningSIDEr: Thanks! This is useful practise as I plan for my next AAR to have more narrative focus from the get-go. Anyway, the biggest problem I'm having in yo-yo-ing is that my industry is still relatively low because my pops aren't converting to craftsmen fast enough compared to the other nations even with NFs. Fixing that will probably be the best thing for me to look into to help Brazil secure a place permanently.

Anyway, I did have plans to put out the next chapter today but I've been modding and running in to a few problems. For most the day V2 wouldn't even start (note to self: don't mess with the culture file any more), and when I finally got it to work...

W5G0l.jpg

Hopefully the next chapter will be up tomorrow.

Last edited: