+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 53 ... LastLast

Thread: A Descent into Madness: A Random EU 3 AAR

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    From a story point of view I think the Victorian age is far more limiting than the late Medieval era: you couldn't have things like witch burning and the Great Spirit Badger unless you stuck with Uncivs. Nevertheless Avindian, I'm sure you could think of something to make a Victorian sequel interesting for us readers.
    Quote Originally Posted by CivandEUIII View Post
    Like mentioned before, a bureaucrat like Daniel will head off to a colony.
    So nothing changes
    You couldn't run a country from a colony though, could you?
    *desperately* B-b-but you can run the colonies, can't you?
    I think industrializing a country would be right in Daniel's bailiwick, but you're right about having a little less freedom for story purposes, unless I go with ridiculous stereotypes or something.

Also, and this completely blew my mind.

Bali survived. For the ten years. And got bigger!

You'll see what happens tomorrow night when I update again.
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q2 ACAs here! Crusader Kings II|Europa Universalis IV|Victoria II|Hearts of Iron 3|Darkest Hour

Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations

Bali: In the long run, we're all dead*

*Apologies to John Maynard Keynes.

Most men, given the kind of power that Daniel Carlson possessed, would go mad and be corrupted almost instantly. Not Daniel. Well, he did get corrupted almost instantly, but his idea of "mad" and our idea of "mad" are quite different. We might think, "Go mad with power? Let's blow up planets, force people into hilarious but awkward positions, and make the populations of every known world hang on our every whim!"

No? That's just me? Okay, fine.

Still, Daniel's idea of "mad" is less impressive. His idea of "mad" is "Let's wait until April 1 to turn in our tax forms! No, that's silly talk. Better turn it in January 2nd like always. But the post office won't be open! Well, okay, that's asking for trouble. What if something happens? You need to get a receipt. I know! We'll use black ink instead of blue ink! HAH! That's insanity, my friends!"

By the time Daniel and Chaos arrived in Bali, Chaos was fuming. The one power Daniel had abused was shocking Chaos. A small victory for Chaos, to be sure, as Daniel would never have intentionally hurt somebody prior to their adventures, but a victory largely at Chaos's expense: his least favorite kind of victory. Chaos's one hope was that, being an OPM, they wouldn't be in Bali very long.

He had not counted on Daniel. The tax accountant, summoning all of his creativity, made a drastic change. Instead of settling for his traditional blue sport coat, white dress shirt, blue trousers, black shoes, and yellow tie, he chose a blue sport coat, white dress shirt, blue trousers, black shoes, yellow tie... and a hat!

Hat! Not pictured: Daniel Carlson

(Note: This is literally the first hat I found in Google images after searching for "hat!", from a site that apparently specializes in stock images of hats. It is also, apparently, a woman's hat.)

Can I ask you something, Danny?

"I don't see why not."

Are you trying to be the most boring person in the universe or is it just a gift? Please, don't shock me, it's an honest question.

Daniel shrugged. "It's the way I was taught to live my life. Every day exactly the same for maximum efficiency."

Have you ever fallen in love?

"Nope."

Ever gambled?

"Heavens no!"

Kissed a girl?

"Does my mother count?"

Chaos gagged. That's wrong on... so many levels. You know what? My curiosity is satisfied.

"Glad I could help. So, expand the army of Bali, eh? That should be easy. Looks like we're in fine financial shape too!"

Let's try a little conquest, then, tough guy! Look, Majapahit has all of our cores, it should be no problem.

Daniel grinned. "Oh no, demon! You'll not catch me this time. I'm going to colonize these empty provinces instead."

(Gameplay note: I can't stress this enough. Stability is the best currency for an OPM. Always take the stab hit, particularly when the NI you're replacing is of little current value, like Battlefield Commissions.)

Colonization. I guess I should stop being so surprised that you'd choose the most boring possible way to expand your empire. You do realize it will take you a year to get even one colonist?

"Slow and steady wins the race."

Chaos groaned. This isn't slow and steady. This isn't even a race. I've seen brick walls move faster than you! And not just when I blow them up or throw people into them.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    August 1, 1563. Daniel and Chaos finished their 578th game of chess. Daniel lost every time. You might think that Daniel loved chess, studied every Grandmaster's every win, that it might be his one non-tax related hobby. You'd be right. However, Chaos had a hobby too. Cheating. Hence, Daniel's record of 0-578.

Can we please play something else?

Daniel blinked. "Look, the way we always played games in my house, we played until everybody won. In fact, there was one time we played a game of Monopoly for a year and a half until Grandpa won."

A year and a half of playing one game? How did Grandpa finally win?

"He didn't. He actually died the year before, only nobody noticed."

There was a corpse, in your house, for an entire year, and nobody noticed?

"Of course not! We visited him in the nursing home. You know, now that you mention it, that nursing home never quite seemed legitimate."

Chaos rolled his eyes. Look, peabrain, I know you're the boss and everything, but can we PLEASE get some action?

"Patience, Chaos. We have two colonists and 17 ducats. All we need is a couple more years of income!"

Chaos pulled his ultimate weapon. GuywhowantstodeclarewaronMajaphitsayswhat?

"What?"

Exactly!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The glorious war between Bali and Majaphit would be remembered for years by military historians. It is remembered in the same way that the Ford Pinto, the Titanic, and the Hindenburg are remembered; as object lessons in what not to do. (Those lessons? Don't expose the fuel tank, make sure you have enough lifeboats, and, well, building zeppelins is a waste of time.)

(Postscript: I am aware there are multiple issues with my oblique and snarky criticism of all three situations. If you didn't want snark, you're in the wrong AAR.)

Surprisingly, the person failing dramatically was not Daniel. Don't get me wrong, the Balinese army failed very dramatically.

(I honestly thought the jungle terrain would help; unfortunately, even in 1563, a five-fire general is nothing to sneeze at.)

However, the army of Majaphit wasn't very good at sieges. I don't mean that they assaulted and failed. I mean the literal concept seemed to escape them.

For two years, the army marched back and forth. There was literally nothing impeding certain doom for Bali; Daniel had no desire to send more men to senseless deaths. Chaos had the desire, but not the ability. Later historians unearthed evidence that a Lithuanian general led the army, which certainly makes a lot of sentence. Finally, perhaps because somebody finally remembered the word for "halt!", a white peace was signed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaos looked accusingly at Daniel. All right, genius, you got your colony. Now let's do something!

"I'm not ready yet. I want to colonize Priangan too."

But it isn't fiscally sound! You'll go bankrupt, Bali can't possibly support both colonies! Chaos recoiled in horror. Damn it! I sound like you!

Daniel immediately looked worried. "You're right! I had no idea how much these colonies would cost. I'll shut down colony growth right now."

Chaos sighed. Too late, a private company has now burdened you with two colonies you can't afford.

This is literally the only time I've ever been mad that this event happened

"Send the army to protect our investments!"

And... you've just lost half of it, since you decided not to pay them. They aren't even throwing rocks; they're making really unconvincing "rock throwing" noises.

Daniel dredged up the worst curse he'd ever uttered. "Drat!"

And... now it's 1570. You took out a whole bunch of loans to keep the colonies afloat, so Bali will probably go bankrupt in another two years. On the plus side, you're down to only one colony, and you finally successfully defeated an army of natives. Can I please have my powers back now?

Daniel shook his head vigorously. "You'll zap me as soon as you get them back, or find new ways in which to kill me!"

Chaos was taken aback. You make me sound like some kind of incredibly vindictive monster!

"You are."

Chaos laughed. Oh yeah, you're right. Yeah, no fooling you. I will roast you like a chicken the next chance I get.

Okay, you two, Death and I are getting bored. So here's what we'll do. Chaos, you get your powers back, but you are no longer allowed to intentionally or unintentionally harm Daniel in any way. Daniel, you'll keep the mind control and immortality. Also, you're given immunity from teleportation sickness.

Chaos cheered, but quickly soured when his celebratory shock failed. I was hoping Odor was kidding. Oh well, meatbag. We're off again, this time to Wallachia, and yes, it's another OPM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Next update will probably be this weekend; maybe earlier, but seeing how AHD comes out on Thursday? I wouldn't count on it.
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q2 ACAs here! Crusader Kings II|Europa Universalis IV|Victoria II|Hearts of Iron 3|Darkest Hour

Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III Collection

Survival.
    When you said survival, I had hoped the might of Bali had beaten Maj into the ground.
    Oh well off to the Balkans
    I was Sir blsteen, Knight of the Eastern West... in :One Last HurRAAh: A Milanese Empire Interactive AAR:

I was FOTW 11/25/09 and 9/12/10

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    March of the EaglesSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    War of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Could be an interesting change though... now that we have Bali with Colonial Ventures, someone might actually form Malaya

Excellent update
    Reasons Why You Should Play Any Character in CK2
    Current playthrough(s): n/a, undecided
    generalolaf: 5/3/1, age: 17. No Legal Heir. Religion in province: Protestant. 100 Legitimacy, 30 Prestige, 0 Power Projection.
    Government: Constitutional Monarchy. Diplomatic Ideas (2), Religious Ideas (2), Administrative Ideas (0). 3 free advisor slots. Diplomatic Relations: 5/7 (Alliance; Guaranteed)

""Somehow the Neapolitans landed in Ireland -" That's very poor strategy on their side. Everybody know that pizza goes better with lager beer." - Victor Cortez

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Love it! Rock throwing noises.

Wallacia!
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Argentina Delenda Est Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Oh well, meatbag. We're off again, this time to Wallachia
    *Imitates M. Bison* Yes! Yes! *does happy dance*
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

Oh Daniel.

Hopefully he'll have a peaceful time in calm, peaceful Wallachia. There he'll learn to come to a point of commonality with nature and . . . bleed a lot I guess. Impaling galore!

Modern Psycho-General CivandEUIII's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

Wallachia?
    Time to raise...
    *puts on sunglasses*
    the stakes.
    YEAAAAAHHHH

Also hugely relieved this did not end with the report "The Three Mountains achievement broken. Steps to reproduce: ..." - Rufo
    "I pity the fool who has to fill out 272 years of Indian history." - Cuthuthulu
    "
    (Wouldnt Hitler look much friendlier with curls and that silly mustache shaved off?)" - podcat

Quote Originally Posted by blsteen View Post
    Survival.
    When you said survival, I had hoped the might of Bali had beaten Maj into the ground.
    Oh well off to the Balkans
    I did too; no such luck.

Quote Originally Posted by generalolaf View Post
    Could be an interesting change though... now that we have Bali with Colonial Ventures, someone might actually form Malaya

Excellent update
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashantai View Post
    Love it! Rock throwing noises.

Wallacia!
    Thanks to both of you for the kind words!

*Imitates M. Bison* Yes! Yes! *does happy dance*
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen View Post
    Oh Daniel.

Hopefully he'll have a peaceful time in calm, peaceful Wallachia. There he'll learn to come to a point of commonality with nature and . . . bleed a lot I guess. Impaling galore!
    Wallachia?
    Time to raise...
    *puts on sunglasses*
    the stakes.
    YEAAAAAHHHH
    You lot sure do enjoy your impaling. I guess I'll have to give you what you want!

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

This should be an easy equation

Wallachia=(Bloodthirstiness * enemies) divided by (trees/carpenters)=Numbers of death by spikes
    Comrade Vladimir Mehmetovich Sakharov, NK Finance, in Avindian's Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo (Interactive TFH 4.02)

The Earth is the Cradle of the Mind -- but one cannot eternally live in a cradle." - Konstantin E.Tsiolkovsky
    "Let others shoot; For here I leave my second leg, and the Forty-second Foot." - The Ballad of Faithless Nelly Gray by Thomas Hood

Please make this idea more known! I want it to get into the next Victoria 2 DLC! by Sakura_F. Copy this if you want this to be implemented

Hah!
    I wonder if Daniel and Chaos will find any vampires

Quote Originally Posted by Vrael_1492 View Post
    This should be an easy equation

Wallachia=(Bloodthirstiness * enemies) divided by (trees/carpenters)=Numbers of death by spikes
    Do you really need a carpenter to make a spike?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Britain View Post
    Hah!
    I wonder if Daniel and Chaos will find any vampires
    If there are, you can damn well bet there won't be any sissy Twilight vampires.

Second Lieutenant arosenberger14's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Semper FiVictoria 2

Is it just me or does Chaos resemble a certain beloved droid?

Also, Wallachia, wooden stake capitol of the world!
    Follow the Teutonic Order's quest to unite Germany in The Iron Cross Triumphant my ongoing histoyrbook AAR!

WritAAR of the week 1/22/12!

Quote Originally Posted by arosenberger14 View Post
    Is it just me or does Chaos resemble a certain beloved droid?

Also, Wallachia, wooden stake capitol of the world!
    I'd be lying if I said some of Chaos's personality wasn't based on said droid He is my favorite character in any Bioware RPG I can think of, and I've played most of them.

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Avindian View Post
    Not really I guess. It just gave the equation more sense!
    Comrade Vladimir Mehmetovich Sakharov, NK Finance, in Avindian's Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo (Interactive TFH 4.02)

The Earth is the Cradle of the Mind -- but one cannot eternally live in a cradle." - Konstantin E.Tsiolkovsky
    "Let others shoot; For here I leave my second leg, and the Forty-second Foot." - The Ballad of Faithless Nelly Gray by Thomas Hood

Please make this idea more known! I want it to get into the next Victoria 2 DLC! by Sakura_F. Copy this if you want this to be implemented

Quote Originally Posted by Vrael_1492 View Post
    Not really I guess. It just gave the equation more sense!
    Very true, and I can't resist a quality math joke.

In order for me to get caught up in NRI, so I can finish playing it, I'm going to temporarily put this AAR on hold. The next update will be sometime early next week.

Let's just hope Danny doesn't make them think he's a witch...
    I am the Emeror of the Intergalactic Roman Empire! Bow before my might!
    Current Game: Basiliea Rhomaion

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...amp-Taxes-AAR. A new AAR: HAIL BASILIEA RHOMAION!! ALL HAIL THE HELIX FOSSIL!!! A PPA MEIOU&Taxes AAR. Will it fail? Probably.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Statement: I am looking forward to more.

A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by EU3NOOB View Post
    Let's just hope Danny doesn't make them think he's a witch...
    We can only hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashantai View Post
    Statement: I am looking forward to more.

Indeed

Modern Psycho-General CivandEUIII's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Avindian View Post

If there are, you can damn well bet there won't be any sissy Twilight vampires.
    I know! Make Daniel a bloodthirsty vampire who is a carpenter by day?

Also hugely relieved this did not end with the report "The Three Mountains achievement broken. Steps to reproduce: ..." - Rufo
    "I pity the fool who has to fill out 272 years of Indian history." - Cuthuthulu
    "
    (Wouldnt Hitler look much friendlier with curls and that silly mustache shaved off?)" - podcat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 53 ... LastLast