+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 26 51 ... LastLast

Thread: A Descent into Madness: A Random EU 3 AAR

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

A Descent into Madness: A Random EU 3 AAR

I decided for my next AAR that I wanted to do something a little different. Some of the commenters in my Italy AAR have been asking for crazy characters, and I must admit the idea entertains me. So here's what I'm going to do.

I'm going to play a random country every 10 years. I'm going to use a Random Number Generator to generate five three digit numbers from 1 to 338. There are 338 tags in EU 3, and the first non-vassal, non-PUed country will be my choice! (I may accept a vassal or junior PU country if they're large enough to be interesting).

Note: The original method of generating a new country -- 3 numbers from 1 to 26, corresponding to letters -- was simply too inefficient, and was not used for any country but the first one, Assam.

To make things more interesting, I will use a fourth random number to produce a random effect when I start each country, all of them bad (or it wouldn't be much fun ). This is where you, the ReadAARs can help; I'm just looking for suggestions to add to my random effect table. I've got about a half dozen in mind, but I'm looking for about 20. Nothing catastrophic, mind you, just... interesting.

House Rules
    1. All settings on Normal, Lucky Nations off, Inflation off [I've heard this makes the game more interesting!]
    2. No reloading unless I'm about to be annexed, since I obviously want the AAR to continue (and I hope you do too!)
    3. Nothing too gamey.
    4. Minimal save game editing.
    5. No cancelling missions, and all missions must be completed (or at least a serious attempt must be made!)
    6. I'll set gameplay goals at the beginning of each country.

This will be a Narrative style AAR. There will be two characters, and two characters only, that will be developed, but they share the same body.

Is that crazy enough for you?

The Random Events
    NOTE: Must be at least a 2PM for these to occur. If a random event cannot happen (changing religion with no alternative, for example, although losing on purpose would be acceptable), another will be chosen.

1 -- Disband entire army
    2 -- Disband entire navy
    3 -- Must DOW biggest rival
    4 -- Must release largest possible vassal
    5 -- Stab hit (Comet event, of course!)
    6 -- Ruler dies
    7 -- Instant rebellion
    8 -- Army maintenance fixed at 50%
    9 -- Naval maintenance fixed at 50%
    10 -- Must acquire random province, if at all possible
    11 -- Treasury slider must be kept at max
    12 -- Non-treasury slider must be kept at max [Minting is allowed if bankruptcy is the only alternative]
    13 -- Monetary reforms
    14 -- Must change government
    15 -- Heir is killed
    16 -- +10 infamy
    17 -- All advisors are fired
    18 -- Crusade! (DOW nearest non-religion country)
    19 -- Must sell wealthiest non-capital province to biggest rival.
    20 -- Must change religion

I'm not going to have an upper limit for now; I've gotten lots of good ideas and look forward to more!

Thanks to Ashantai, Fenrir 1576, arosenberger14, il_loco, and boom for their suggestions!
    Last edited by Avindian; 03-01-2012 at 11:14.
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have finished, check out the winners!! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Consecrated blood waters my fields: a Hvitserk megacampaign -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations

Table of contents

Prologue

Assam
    Part 1: 1399-1404
    Part 2: 1404-1410

A brief interlude
    Zapotec

Switzerland
    Switzerland: 1410-1420

Byzantine Empire
    Byzantium: 1420-1421

Champa
    Champa: 1421-1431

Münster
    Münster: 1431-1439

Brandenburg
    Brandenburg: 1439-1449

Cologne
    Cologne: 1449-1459

Bourbonnais
    Bourbonnais: 1459-1462

Württemburg
    Württemburg: An interlude, 1462-1472

Kanem Bornu
    Kanem Bornu: 1472-1482

Mainz
    Mainz: 1482-1492

Armagnac
    Armagnac: 1492-1498

Ryukyu
    Ryukyu: 1498-1502

Oirat Horde
    Oirat Horde: 1503-1513

Pomerania
    Pomerania: 1513-1521

Mazovia
    Mazovia: 1521-1531

Great Britain
    Part 1: 1532-1534
    Part 2: 1534-1541

Bulgaria
    Bulgaria: 1542-1548

Bosnia
    Bosnia: 1548-1550

Ming
    Ming: 1550-1560

Bali
    Bali: 1560-1570

Wallachia
    Wallachia: 1570-1580

Kazakh
    Kazakh: 1580-1581

Brittany
    Brittany: 1581-1591

Baluchistan
    Baluchistan: 1591-1600

Najd
    Najd: 1600-1609

Crimea
    Crimea: 1609-1619

Ethiopia
    Ethiopia: 1619-1630

Portugal
    Portugal: 1630-1640

Gotland
    Gotland: 1640-1650

Ahmadnagar
    Ahmadnagar: 1650-1652

Denmark
    Denmark: 1652-1662

Flanders
    Flanders: 1662-1672

Georgia
    Georgia: 1672-1682

Ethiopia, part 2
    Ethiopia: 1682-1693

Great Britain, part 2
    Great Britain, part 2, part 1: 1693-1701
    Great Britain, part 2, part 2: 1701-1703

Madurai
    Madurai: 1703-1723

Oman
    Oman: 1723-1743

Nogai (featuring Smolensk)
    Nogai/Smolensk: 1743-1750

Bohemia
    Bohemia, part 1: 1750-1753
    Bohemia, part 2: 1753-1755
    Bohemia, part 3: 1755-1763
    Bohemia, part 4: 1763-1770

Northumberland (featuring Prussia)
    Northumberland (featuring Prussia): 1770-1797

Brazil
    Brazil: 1797-1821
    Last edited by Avindian; 07-06-2012 at 09:17.
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- Q3 ACAs have finished, check out the winners!! EU IV|CK II|Vicky II|HOI 3|Darkest Hour
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- Nearing its thrilling conclusion!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2

Modern Psycho-General CivandEUIII's Avatar
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

subbed, if that's all right.

Also hugely relieved this did not end with the report "The Three Mountains achievement broken. Steps to reproduce: ..." - Rufo
    "I pity the fool who has to fill out 272 years of Indian history." - Cuthuthulu
    "
    (Wouldnt Hitler look much friendlier with curls and that silly mustache shaved off?)" - podcat
    "
    This ascii art is terrible." - Jacob Braughton on titin

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I love it! Great concept!

Here some ideas for events:
    - Stab loss
    - Ruler dies
    - Fear and Loathing (My favourite)
    - Rebellions
    - Gold Rush

And more. I usually just through the events to find one I like.

Looking forward to this one!
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Ashantai View Post
    I love it! Great concept!

Here some ideas for events:
    - Stab loss
    - Ruler dies
    - Fear and Loathing (My favourite)
    - Rebellions
    - Gold Rush

And more. I usually just through the events to find one I like.

Looking forward to this one!
    How is Gold Rush a negative event? Also, not familiar with Fear and Loathing, what does that one do?

I'm going to add the list I have to the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by CivandEUIII View Post
    subbed, if that's all right.
    Of course it is You're by and large the inspiration for this AAR, anyway.

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Tucked away safely in your darkest nightmares
    Blog Entries
    I'll be following this!
    CAARazyness ahoy!
    My AARs:
    Baghdad in the Sky with Diamonds (last updated 27/08/13)
    So Long Mom, I'm Off to Drop the Bomb - A Fallout 2 AAR (last updated 08/06/14)

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

For the random province, use random.org to determine which province (only land, no wasteland! if you don't want to exclude those, if you have naval you need 10 ships around the naval province (in one random bordering port province), if wasteland control everything around it.)

Also hugely relieved this did not end with the report "The Three Mountains achievement broken. Steps to reproduce: ..." - Rufo
    "
    (Wouldnt Hitler look much friendlier with curls and that silly mustache shaved off?)" - podcat
    "

Prologue: A meeting with Chaos

Daniel Carlson (always and only Daniel) was walking home from work. Now, you might call his job boring. I certainly would. Daniel Carlson was not just a CPA; he was a tax accountant. Worse still, he worked for the Internal Revenue Service, which made him not only boring but really unpopular. He had no friends, no children, no wife. He had just enough money to own a house, but not enough to keep it up.

I need to emphasize this: he's the dullest person you can imagine. No, wait. Imagine the dullest person you can imagine, then imagine him being even duller. If this causes an infinite recursion of dullness and makes your head explode, I apologize, but that's about half as dull as he actually is.

Got that? Good. Because his life is about to get very, very undull.

Anyway, back to the story.

On his walk home, Daniel spots a shiny US quarter in the street. Never one to miss a free quarter, he carefully raises his pant legs just so, maintaining the perfect crease, and bends down to pick it up.

At which point he is promptly hit by a bus. Or at least, he would have been.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    October 1399

When Daniel Carlson woke up, he found himself wearing something altogether different. No pressed business suit, no briefcase, no cellphone, just a dirty tunic and some pants. He would have blamed it on getting drunk at a party, but he'd never been drunk or at a party. (See? Dull!)

"Oh dear. Where am I now?"

In a ditch.

"Wait a minute! Who said that?"

I did. Hiya.

"Who are you?"

Me.

"And who is 'me'?"

You! HA HA HA HA HA HAH! Even after millions of years, that never gets old.

At this point, our intrepid sort-of-hero was completely thunderstruck.

Right. Anyway, I am Chaos.

"Chaos?"

You know, you shouldn't talk out loud. People might think you're crazy.

"I'm hearing voices in my head; perhaps I am crazy."

I wish. Crazy people are much more fun. Let's start over. Your name is Daniel Carlson, you live at 1234 Main Street, and have had the single most dull life in existence.

"I find that hard to be--"

Believe me, I checked. Anyway, I am here to make your life interesting. I am, quite literally, the personification of Chaos, and I've chosen to inhabit your body for the next 421 years!

"Why me?"

Well, er, I lost a bet. Anyway, I've saved you from certain death and transported you to the year 1399.

Daniel Carlson, to his credit, had been coping quite well with having Chaos in his skull up to that moment. It was time for him to use the most fierce retort in his entire repertoire.

"I beg your pardon?"

1399. You know, one thousand three hundred and ninety-nine years after the purported death of that Jesus fellow you're all so wild about.

Daniel blinked.

All right, Danny boy, it looks like --

"Daniel."

Chaos unleashed the most horrendous version of "Danny Boy" that the world had ever heard. I mean, really, really awful. If your head hasn't already exploded from dullness, this song would finish the job.

Daniel coughed, and Chaos stopped.

Look, jerk, I saved your life, made you immortal for at least the next four hundred and twenty-one years, plus or minus a couple of months, and are taking you on the ride of a lifetime, and you're fighting with me. I will call you whatever I damn well please and you'll like it, or else.

Daniel replied, "Immortal?"

Yep. You cannot be killed. See, it would be really inconvenient if you died while I was trapped in this miserable bag of meat. So, I've made you immortal. You cannot possibly be killed.

Daniel brightened. "That means I can finally re-read the tax code!"

You dunce, you're in 1399. There is no tax code.

Those five words were the most horrifying things he'd ever heard in his entire life. Not the first five, the second five.

So, here's the deal, Danny boy. I'm going to give you incredible power; you will get to rule over 40 separate countries. However, it's up to you to get yourself close enough to the king, or queen, or whatever ape is running things. I've made this one easy for you; they'll be walking by in about 20 minutes. Oh, and also, each time you jump to a new country, your body will change to something period and country appropriate. I can't even promise it will be an animal, but it will not be inanimate, so you have that going for you.

Oh, and one last thing. Should you under any circumstances try to shirk your duties, I'll punish you.

"How's that?"

You're immortal. You can still feel pain, humiliation, or discomfort, though, and I can always make you do something unpleasant.

"I see."

I wouldn't test me. I've been alive since the Dawn of Time; I can think of all sorts of pranks.

Daniel had to agree that was fair.

Oh, and one last thing. So people don't think you're nuts and burn you at the stake, you shouldn't talk to me out loud. I'll still put your words in quotes so everybody knows who's talking, but you can just think something and I'll understand it. I've taken the liberty of making everybody you see speak to you in English, so you can understand them, although they will think you're speaking their language.

"That's decent of you. Wait, who is everybody?"

The Readers, of course. Stop wasting time. You have a country to rule!

"Now, good sir Chaos, where might that be?"

We'll save that bit of news for the next update!

"Update of what?"

At that point, Daniel Carlson felt the most absurd thing he'd ever felt.

Something inside his brain was shaking its head.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Future updates will feature screenshots a-plenty, don't you worry. I'll switch countries every ten years, unless it's danger of being annexed.

First proper update should be this weekend. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by mayorqw View Post
    I'll be following this!
    CAARazyness ahoy!
    Welcome aboard!

For the random province, use random.org to determine which province (only land, no wasteland! if you don't want to exclude those, if you have naval you need 10 ships around the naval province (in one random bordering port province), if wasteland control everything around it.)
    I'll definitely exclude wastelands, but that's a good suggestion.

EDIT: Oh, and if you offer specific crazy events, please give me the event ID. Thanks!

Shame event 11101 isn't a event for EUIII, otherwise you would have to eliminate every country you had because everything was dull to a degree that can kill.

"
    "

This will be awesome

200k clubCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIRome Gold
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Interesting new AAR, will follow this closely!

Good luck!

Shame event 11101 isn't a event for EUIII, otherwise you would have to eliminate every country you had because everything was dull to a degree that can kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Britain View Post
    This will be awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Derahan View Post
    Interesting new AAR, will follow this closely!

Good luck!
    Thanks all for the kind words and feedback! BTW, can somebody give me a link to the cheat codes (like how to fire an event)?

"
    "

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae Victis500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Tucked away safely in your darkest nightmares
    Blog Entries
    This writing style reminds me of something, though it's fuzzy at the moment.
    It goes without saying this is most excellent! Go Chaos!
    My AARs:
    Baghdad in the Sky with Diamonds (last updated 27/08/13)
    So Long Mom, I'm Off to Drop the Bomb - A Fallout 2 AAR (last updated 08/06/14)

Oh, I have an idea for a possible random event, maybe something like having to keep the treasury slider at maximum for the entire duration of the turn, or activating an event that gives you a bit of inflation until you hit a nice amount gained (10-15 points or so).

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Rome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

That's amazingly funny. Nicely done!

Gold Rush...wasn't the one I meant. I meant Monetary Reforms one we all hate. Sorry.
    A Blessing and a Curse: EUIV Narrative AAR! In Progress
    Downfall: A Byzantine Narrative AAR. See the fall of the mightiest empire the world has ever seen. On Hold 3rd Place OVERALL EU3 (Highest Narrative) AARland Choice Awards Q3 2012!
    The Grey Eminence: A British Narrative/History AAR. Witness the rise of Great Britain to world power! COMPLETE! WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2012 Q1!
    The Eternal Exile: Nation Hopping AAR with a mix of narrative and game-play. On Hold. | WINNER EU - Narrative for AARland Choice AwAARds 2011 Q1!

Winner: AAR Showcase 29/11/2011 | Winner: Character Writer of the Week 19/1/2012 | Winner: Fan of the Week 20/9/2010 and 20/8/2012 | I was Character Writer of the Week 13/12/2010

Second Lieutenant arosenberger14's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Semper FiVictoria 2

Ooooh, Nice idea, very original I'll definitely follow this!

Here's an idea - Obsessive Compulsion: one finance slider must be kept max for the entire turn.
    Follow the Teutonic Order's quest to unite Germany in The Iron Cross Triumphant my ongoing histoyrbook AAR!

WritAAR of the week 1/22/12!

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne

This should be fun! Go Chaos!
    10 years is a short time to do something useful though, so I wonder.
    -hopes for some weird african or indian tribe to be the first country-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 26 51 ... LastLast