Welcome to my AAR featuring the (for the time being) really small sheikdom of Tripoli. This is going to be somewhat of a roleplaying style game. My lead and my base is that Tripoli is populated mostly by savage Pirates of the Mediterranean - corsairs - who may seek only money and blood but are ultimately deemed to reform their society and country - or otherwise, go extinct in the bloody struggles of the upcoming centuries.
The version is DW 5.1, every game setting is on normal (including difficulty), lucky nations random, low aggressivity. Some basic (and amongst them some AFAIK common) rules:
- I will follow my misssions. Won't cancel them unleass they are "undoable" ("Naval race versus England" and "Protect against [insert HRE here]" being my favourites...).
- Will try not to reload. I will if its only stupidity or lightheadedness is the reason but otherwise random events and everything else will stay as they come.
- Since we are pirates, at first I will demand all possible gold in peace deals and then anything else, except when it would cause impossibility of a higher goal (vassallisation for example).
- Also I will try and vassalise as many nations along the Mediterranean as I can. They must answer to the Chief Corsair or else should be destroyed!
- Will stay Sunni and going for some kind of republican government form (big words... I will be just happy if I'll be alive fifty years into the game...)
- staying alive...
- reform the government, and ultimately...
- ... westernize!
(EDIT as of 18-01-12: I delayed weternization for now - unless I desperately need it I will try and prosper in my actual [Muslim] tech. group.)
(EDIT as of 12-03-12: now I realize that I have to westernize before the full-scale superiority of Castille gets the better of me)
These are simple but challenging goals for a basically dirt-poor sunni country with muslim tech, tribal government, terrible sliders and literally enemies everywhere...
Currently I have more goals on my mind, but first I should survive the bloody Spanish and their never-ending crusades. And if I won't, then... perish honourably. So - let us begin...
The Rule of the High Council (1399-1513)
Ahmad the Old (1404-1430)
01. Getting Ruled... (1399-1408)
02. The First Years of Piracy (1408-1418)
03. Learn From Your Enemy (1418-1429)
Mansur the Great (1430-1454)
04. Riding the Storm (1429-1444)
05. Where Do We Go From Here? (1444-1454)
06. A Long Expected "Party" (1454-1468)
Ahmad II (the Preserver) (1468-1513)
07. Forging an Alliance (1468-1478)
08. On Dangerous Waters (1478-1489)
09. Fragile Peace (1489-1501)
First Interlude - draft of 1501
10. Conquistadores (1501-1509)
11. One Step Forward, One Step Back (1509-1513)
The Years of the Great Reforms (1513-1545)
12. High Hopes (1513-1527)
Ali I (the Usurper) (1527-1536)
13. Titles (1527-1536)
14. Between (1536-1545)
The Reign of the Sultan in Tripoli (1545-...)
Ali II (the Reformer) (1545-1601)
15. Preparations (1545-1553)
16. Revenge of the Burjis (1553-1559)
17. Securing the Mediterranean (1559-1567)
18. Some Wham!s to Deal Out (1567-1573)
19. Go West! (1573-1581)
20. Go West! (reprise) (1581-1593)
21. Tortuga... Tortuga Bay! (1593-1597)
22. End of an Era (1597-1601)
Muhammad I (the Mujahid) (1601-1621)
Second Interlude - draft of 1601
23. Change of the Wind (1601-1609)
24. The Empire is on the March (1609-1615)
25. Return To The Subject (1615-1620)
26. Fate (1620-1624)
Ali III (1621-...)
27. One Step Right, Two Steps Left (1624-1634)
So here we are, in the 777th year of the Hijra - or as the infidels of Europe count: 1399 years after the great prophet, Isa was born. In this very year, the leading berber corsairs of the territory known as "Tripoli" has decided to put aside their internal struggles for a while and had a look at the wider world outside their "realm". Well... they were not overjoyed by the things they saw...
What they saw was a world changing. Spanish crusaders wiping out the the people of the True Faith in Iberia, more infidels with even more gold setting sail from the ports of Genoa and Venice to stretch their rule onto the muslims. Brutal eastern hordes threatening the peace and prosperity in the Levant, a territory which has just been cleared from the Men of the Cross. The Islamic world was in danger. And they recognized, that they have to enact some serious reforms, else their country won't live through the upcoming century...
...well, they should name it a "country" although currently it has no real borders, nor real government, nor at least somebody who could be called a ruler.
The highest ranking corsairs agreed that they should elect a chief, who can enforce the much needed reforms to make the Tribes of Tripoli glorious once more, but they didn't decide it hasty.
At first, they made some immediate decisions about the country, leading all their income into the common treasury to raise more men and equip more ships for hunting on the Mediterranean Sea. To have more fundings for this, they decided to abandon their remote feelings about trade and tried to be a bit more free-minded about it. They also immediately set out agents to the city of Venice to arrange an agreement between the owner of the largest fleet on the Mediterranean Sea and the corsairs. This would share the profits fairly...
And how successful will they be? Well, we will see that...