• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(259950)

Sergeant
Jan 31, 2011
I apologize if this is not a proper venue for this, but I saw nowhere to make opinions on the title known.

I don't know how to say it, but Defenders Ardania plays weakly on PC.

The game feels very much like you must use a controller to play it, the cursor acts as one would use an analog stick and that does not feel right with a keyboard and mouse.

When I play a title of this nature on PC, I want my cursor to be free moving and my mouse buttons to be used to select - like in Defense Grid. The WASD keys I am fine with using to manipulate the camera, but rather than changing the angle they use, I'd want them moving the camera. Using the space button as you do is not intuitive since it is a foreign control design.

Using the controls as they are is awkward, I'd like to request a secondary control scheme be added, hopefully before full release.

I am sure that with an Xbox 360 controller, the schema would work and not feel too ungainly, but as it is, I spend more time complaining about the controls than actually using them.

The controls are attrocious on PC. I don't feel like I have control over the game at all. A shame because I love a good tower defence game. It's unplayable for me in it's current form. Hopefully the devs will spend more than the hour they've put into the pc-controls in the future.

The game controls are honestly just about game breaking. It makes me really wonder if anyone at Paradox or the developers played the game at all with a mouse and keyboard. It took me all of about 5 minutes of playing to say "WTF is going on!". Absolutely stunning that this made it to release like this. To be clear Im talking about how if you mouse pointer is hovering over a build square and you attempt to use the direction keys to move the camera....you get a popup build window. This is beyond annoying and needs to have an emergency patch to fix this ASAP.

The game looks fun and has some neat ideas I think...but I made it to the 4th campaign mission and just about cant stand to play it and Im supposed to be doing a review on this for a gaming site. This needs to be resolved quickly.

+1 to the completely wrong control feeling. And also +1 to Defense Grid style. I still do play DG and controls there are simply flawless. For a lot of us DG is something like alpha and omega in TD genre and we will compare every other to that one. Controls are very critical for comfortable play in all of the games...

I suggest following :
Controls option A) : leave current controls in the game. Maybe there are people out the who like them so why to remove it right?
Controls option B) : add selectable option which when chosen will tie cursor to the movement of the view (cursor will be in the center of the screen and map below will move when moving mouse). By doing this the right control feeling will be achieved for many people.

Just a FYI...on steam they released a patch at about 11am EST that fixed many of the control issues. Direction keys no longer activate the build menu and you can actually left click on squares to build. They also made it where you can open AND close the unit build menu with a right click. So...its quite a bit better now. I noticed a few small delays sometimes on clicks but other then that seemed ok.