Survival of SOTS2 guaranteed? Skyrim might aid our patience.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Baleur

Captain
34 Badges
Mar 16, 2008
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Cities in Motion
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Magicka
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • King Arthur II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
First off, we all know what has been said. We all said it, we yelled and screamed or made constructive disappointed comments and requests for refunds. It's done, we've said it, they've heard it. Let's move past it now and focus on whatever can be done in a positive manner from now on. Deal? :)

So as far as i've understood it, there is NO chance that SOTS2 will fall, that the devs will go bankrupt and the entire game & all planned patches and expansions will fall into oblivion (pre-emptive pun!), right? Paradox will 100% support Kerberos in making SOTS2 as epic and complete as was originally intended, including expansions, am i right in this assumption? That's really all i want to hear right now, i just want to know that my beloved SOTS will be guaranteed to 'eventually' get there.

Furthermore, i know some will disagree as there are some gamers that only play 4x type of games and consider everything else to be of lesser value, but i also know there are alot of people like me that play ALL games, just like we don't just watch 1 genre of movies.
In that regard i actually consider the very near release of Skyrim to be a positive thing for SOTS2, or rather the SOTS2 community. It will, for me personally, aid my patience a great deal. Granted this is a semi-competitor (all games are in financial competition with eachother, each gamer only has so much to spend) but i do believe it will aid the patience of SOTS fans as well.

Personally i'll most likely be very content and busy with Skyrim for the next month or so, until christmas if it turns out to be as massive as the hype suggests. And the part where SOTS2 patience comes in is right there.. When i start missing SOTS again, when christmas time comes, i know that when i fire up SOTS2 it will have undergone major changes, the patches and updates will have transformed the game into something it should have been at release.

In that sense, i consider Skyrim's release to be of very fortunate close proximity. We'll all get a chance to chill out and get past the horrors of the SOTS2 release, and when we come back we will be happily surprised by what we find. We'll be happy with the time with Skyrim, and we'll be (possibly even more) happy with the state of SOTS2 when we return to it.

Some will consider my post to be absolute folly, but i think some will agree.
Kerberos, i leave my beloved SOTS2 in your hands while i depart, i only wish you take great care of her until i return. Give me the SOTS2 i wanted for christmas. Thank you. :eek:o

Hello all, there has been problems with the Sword of the Stars 2 release and for this we apologize. This should have been handled in a much more professional way from both us and the developer.

There has been version problems on Steam, and we are working on updating this version 24x7 from both the development and publishing team. Patching is in process for all known errors.

I can personally guarantee we will work on the game until it works as it should be, and in the meantime all I can say is that we should have done this better. Our sincere apologies.

Expect a response and status update from the developer as soon as they are ready with more information (which should be soon). Thanks for your patience.

---
Fred Wester
CEO Paradox Interactive

^

Taking a CEO for his word is a lot like taking an American politician for his word. For both the whole truth is not in their best interest. Their best interest lies on keeping the public happy, and if that means lying..so be it.

Well the alternative is that they remained completely silent.
Assurance from the devs / staff eased my mind a lot and I remember still the release of SH5 by Ubi and I was furious about the absence of any support.

Taking a CEO for his word is a lot like taking an American politician for his word. For both the whole truth is not in their best interest. Their best interest lies on keeping the public happy, and if that means lying..so be it.

I know this is going to get off-topic, but... it sucks that that's the world we live in. We, be it as The People or as customers, don't really want the truth... what we want is a well-told, convincing story. What a shame...

So as far as i've understood it, there is NO chance that SOTS2 will fall, that the devs will go bankrupt and the entire game & all planned patches and expansions will fall into oblivion (pre-emptive pun!),

links? I havent seen anything saying that, in fact Ive seen the opposite, with worries that theyve lost staff at Kerb. And that kerb is having financial issues. If Kerb goes belly up, is Paradox gonna finish SOTS2?
THIS IS NOT A TROLL its a legitimate concern on my part.

First off, we all know what has been said. We all said it, we yelled and screamed or made constructive disappointed comments and requests for refunds. It's done, we've said it, they've heard it. Let's move past it now and focus on whatever can be done in a positive manner from now on. Deal? :)

So as far as i've understood it, there is NO chance that SOTS2 will fall, that the devs will go bankrupt and the entire game & all planned patches and expansions will fall into oblivion (pre-emptive pun!), right? Paradox will 100% support Kerberos in making SOTS2 as epic and complete as was originally intended, including expansions, am i right in this assumption? That's really all i want to hear right now, i just want to know that my beloved SOTS will be guaranteed to 'eventually' get there.

Furthermore, i know some will disagree as there are some gamers that only play 4x type of games and consider everything else to be of lesser value, but i also know there are alot of people like me that play ALL games, just like we don't just watch 1 genre of movies.
In that regard i actually consider the very near release of Skyrim to be a positive thing for SOTS2, or rather the SOTS2 community. It will, for me personally, aid my patience a great deal. Granted this is a semi-competitor (all games are in financial competition with eachother, each gamer only has so much to spend) but i do believe it will aid the patience of SOTS fans as well.

Personally i'll most likely be very content and busy with Skyrim for the next month or so, until christmas if it turns out to be as massive as the hype suggests. And the part where SOTS2 patience comes in is right there.. When i start missing SOTS again, when christmas time comes, i know that when i fire up SOTS2 it will have undergone major changes, the patches and updates will have transformed the game into something it should have been at release.

In that sense, i consider Skyrim's release to be of very fortunate close proximity. We'll all get a chance to chill out and get past the horrors of the SOTS2 release, and when we come back we will be happily surprised by what we find. We'll be happy with the time with Skyrim, and we'll be (possibly even more) happy with the state of SOTS2 when we return to it.

Some will consider my post to be absolute folly, but i think some will agree.
Kerberos, i leave my beloved SOTS2 in your hands while i depart, i only wish you take great care of her until i return. Give me the SOTS2 i wanted for christmas. Thank you. :eek:o

Sounds to me like your just advertising Skyrim on the Sots forums trying to convert us to "first person RPGs" lol kidding. Never really liked Oblivion so prob wont like skyrim but least i have Ace combat Assault horizon and Battlefield 3 to keep me tied over. However i hope they can keep this promise of a month of updates for Sots 2 cause out of all the games being released in the near future i looked forward to it the most. Hell i look forward to Sots2 more then Mass Effect 3 and i love mass effect!!

Skyrim? And why exactly would I want to play an even more dumbed-down Elder Scrolls game than the Oblivion already was?
I'm kind of player that likes a game with big potential, big opportunities, lots of things that make it deep and enjoyable. Not really looking for consoleized titles. Sorry.
You hit the wrong forum with Skyrim.

links? I havent seen anything saying that, in fact Ive seen the opposite, with worries that theyve lost staff at Kerb. And that kerb is having financial issues. If Kerb goes belly up, is Paradox gonna finish SOTS2?

Kerb lost staff due to health issues. Not really any reason to worry unless of course they all live on McDonald's or something.

And according to Mecron they're financially sound. Of course if they did need a cash injection they can always look for investment; it's a private company IIRC.

Darkrenown's post just below the main post? Hes part of the Paradox Dev Team ya know.

Mecron himself has posted on the Keberos forums saying there is, and I quote, "Chance of an early KO? Two words, ZE....RO."

He then went on to suggest that they've supported SotS 1 in times of far worse financial woes. I wouldn't worry.

I'd link it, but the forums are down right now; I'll find it later.

If for some reason you still don't trust them, though, may I appeal to your sense of logic? It'd make no sense for Paradox to let Kerberos go under before fixing this game as it would reflect incredibly poorly upon them as a publisher. So even if Kerberos was about to die, Paradox won't let them.

I trust this CEO to keep his word.
fred3.jpg

;)

So, he got a free haircut during a PR stunt. That is not exactly what i would consider a heavy investment to give honestly. His company is on the line here, not just his hair, the incentive to lie is much higher. And im NOT saying he IS lying, im saying the incentive is there to keep the public happy, so he can keep the company going and his livelihood going. A TON more important than hair.

Not really, that was his word that he would cut his beard (didn't really know about the hair) if Victoria 2 sold well, and it did. So off went the hair. [It was a pretty big event though, although I do enjoy Victoria 2 more than I enjoy HOI3]

It was an epic beard beforehand, sad to see it go. :p

Fred seems like a pretty good CEO as far as I can tell. Magni Mundi is getting a game, and eventually Crusader Kings II will be out, so all in all, I'm not doing too bad in the near future.

Edit: By the sounds of it though, Crusader Kings II and Mass Effect 3 might be released around the same time... it will be a tough time indeed.

Edit after Saf's post: Was about to fix it up, but Saf has the gist of it. XD
I was unsure, should of looked it up before hand and then posted, but I went with what I had. :(

Last edited:
Not really, that was his word that he would cut his beard (didn't really know about the hair) if Victoria 2 sold well, and it did. So off went the hair. [It was a pretty big event though, although I do enjoy Victoria 2 more than I enjoy HOI3]

It was an epic beard beforehand, sad to see it go. :p

Fred seems like a pretty good CEO as far as I can tell. Magni Mundi is getting a game, and eventually Crusader Kings II will be out, so all in all, I'm not doing too bad in the near future.

Edit: By the sounds of it though, Crusader Kings II and Mass Effect 3 might be released around the same time... it will be a tough time indeed.

Frederik vowed to cut his hair if Victoria 2 turned a profit (not his beard). His hair got shaved at some games fair (can't remember which) before the profit numbers were in, but they had received so many preorders that there was no longer a doubt if the game would turn out to be profitable.