• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

demodragon

Recruit
68 Badges
Oct 18, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Ancient Space
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
Paradox,

:angry:
How quaint that one of your staff is willing to apologize, when, by your release of yet ANOTHER ungodly buggy late Alpha Release product as supposedly a "Finished Product" you have already shown us, your buyers, that you having nothing but contempt for us. Yes, I love your games, 6 months after release when they have been properly tested and are sort of debugged... but this sort of behaviour is truly unacceptable from a Computer Software Developer of your size and expertise.

Get it right THE FIRST TIME or DONT RELEASE IT AT ALL !!!!!

What's worse, you are alienating more than 30% of your users who are still on Windows XP when a simple patch that disables whatever stupid feature that DX10 needed would allow them to be able to play. How foolish of you.

Kerberos is 12 people. The CEO of Kerberos has apologized, The CEO of Paradox has apologized. They are giving away Free copies of the Original game.What exactly do you want that they have not already done?

Where are the people complaining that it's not working on Win98 or Win95? I'm sure someone out there is still maybe using 3.1... Didn't Microsoft stop supporting WinXP?

What's worse, you are alienating more than 30% of your users who are still on Windows XP when a simple patch that disables whatever stupid feature that DX10 needed would allow them to be able to play.

More like 60% where I live but I understand their reasoning.

More like 60% where I live but I understand their reasoning.
60% if you include the millions of corporate PCs sat on desks in offices.

If you are talking gamers, Valve's hardware survey is a good estimate.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Showing just 26.55% using XP x86.

The consumer world has moved on from XP. It's just the business world that is still using XP (and in the case of my work, IE6...)

It's just the business world that is still using XP (and in the case of my work, IE6...)

Last employer: Win XP, IE6 and hardcoded passwords for their custom software.
Hardcoded passwords.
/boggles

refunds. Now.

I would have even been fine with a reasonable soon ETA of the game being what it was supposed to have been on release. But I ended up going with the trying to get a refund club when that was also apparently beyond their abilities.

If you have a computer built after February 2007 (4.5 years ago) then you had to go out of your way to get an XP license. If your computer was built after july of 2008 (over 3 years ago) and you run XP, then you already own Vista Pro as sales of XP halted then, as all XP machines sold past that date use the downgrade rights inherent in OEM Vista Pro/Ult license.

My point here is if you own a system that is less than 5 years old that still runs windows XP, then you made a conscious choice to use old software that was going out of support. If you didn't know what that implied at the time(no support and no new software developed) then you have rather unfortunately found the consequences of using antiquated technology.

Edit: @ leggosboy
Though XP support is officially listed until 2014 - its only technically for netbook support. Real support hasn't really existed for a few years now, trust me on this one, I work software support.

Last edited:
My point here is if you own a system that is less than 5 years old that still runs windows XP, then you made a conscious choice to use old software that was going out of support. If you didn't know what that implied at the time(no support and no new software developed) then you have rather unfortunately found the consequences of using antiquated technology.

Unless I missed a few years, 2014 has not happened yet. Whether one agrees or disagrees with XP support in this game, saying Windows discontinued support is incorrect.

refunds. Now.
You can't have this. Asking for it over and over again will not make it happen any faster.
Kerberos doesn't have your money, Paradox doesn't have your money. Steam, D2D, Gamersgate, Gamestop, and whatever vendor you purchased the game from has your money. Kerberos has promised to pay for refunds. Paradox has said they will happen. The people that actually have your money are the ones that are holding the process up as they normally do not give refunds. It takes time to negotiate how this will be done, because Paradox simply doesn't have the power to make other companies do as they wish instantly.

Denying this reality only makes you look childish and erodes support.

If you wonder why i care about this, it is because they have my money, and I don't plan on asking for it back. I want this title to be successful and I want there to be a third game. Being unreasonable, no matter how justified your feeling are will not help the situation in any form.

11. Who can receive support in the Extended Support phase?

Extended Support will be available to all customers*. Extended Support includes paid support (support that is charged on an hourly basis or per incident), security update support at no additional cost, and paid hotfix support. To receive hotfix support, an Extended Hotfix Support contract must be purchased within the first 90 days following the end of the Mainstream Support phase. Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes, or new features during the Extended Support phase.

* Extended Support is not offered for Consumer, Hardware, Multimedia products or Microsoft Online Services.

17. What is the Security Update policy?

Microsoft has not changed its Security Update policy:

Business and Development software

Security updates will be available through the end of the Extended Support phase (five years of Mainstream Support plus five years of the Extended Support) at no additional cost for most products. Security updates will be posted on the Microsoft Update Web site during both the Mainstream and the Extended Support phase.

Consumer, Hardware, and Multimedia products

Security updates will be available through the end of the Mainstream Support phase.

XP is no longer at the Mainstream Support. It's at Extended, which is a different kind of support.

I would have even been fine with a reasonable soon ETA of the game being what it was supposed to have been on release. But I ended up going with the trying to get a refund club when that was also apparently beyond their abilities.

Can't you make your own ETA on how quickly it will develop ? The game launched Friday, and Monday Morning we got a pretty big ass patch that fixed quite a bit of problems, with two small updates over the weekend, and two more patches expected by Friday afternoon (One fairly large one at the very least)

Haven't seen any company patch a game so quickly

What's worse, you are alienating more than 30% of your users who are still on Windows XP when a simple patch that disables whatever stupid feature that DX10 needed would allow them to be able to play. How foolish of you.

If you knew anything about graphics programming you would know that if your entire render pipeline is constructed around DX10, then DX9 compatibility is by no means trivial. DX9 was a black sheep in a lot of ways, and wrangling your code to make it play nice with it is beyond the scope of a 12 man studio.

How clueless of you.

Can't you make your own ETA on how quickly it will develop ? The game launched Friday, and Monday Morning we got a pretty big ass patch that fixed quite a bit of problems, with two small updates over the weekend, and two more patches expected by Friday afternoon (One fairly large one at the very least)

Haven't seen any company patch a game so quickly

AFAIK Magika was daily patching when it released

To be fair, though, isn't Magicka a bit simpler?

EDIT: And i don't know how big their dev team is, of course.