• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(165900)

<font color="white"><font size="3"><b>Paradox Publ
3 Badges
Sep 14, 2009
www.paradoxplaza.com
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Majesty 2
  • Pirates of Black Cove
Hi,

Please find the notes for today’s update below. It includes both bug fixes and a rundown of known issues the developers are currently working on. It has been said in various official posts already but I want to reconfirm that we stay committed to updating the game over the coming days, weeks and however long it takes to get it to where it needs to be. We’d like to thank you for all your support and patience until now. The updates are planned for approx. every other day (2-3 times per week).

Now the Steam code is visible for those of you who bought the game there. Use it to register on the Paradox forum for tech support.

The manual is also updated, link here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?567741-Manual-1.1

As always you are also welcome to contact us directly via Zendesk/our support. http://paradox.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new

Edit: The Monday Oct 31 update added an issue for some gamers, solved by many through running the game in 64-bit mode. Unsure on how to do that? Read the top question and answer in this thread.

Edit#2: This should be fixed now, and as a bonus the .net fx reinstall on launch is fixed as well.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-Arounds-(for-people-who-want-to-try-and-play)

Paradox and the Kerberos team

http://store.steampowered.com/news/6658/

Additions and Improvements:

- The game will now start in native 64-bit mode on operating systems that support it.
- Added 15 new entries to the encyclopedia.
- A new badge has been added for all factions.

Bug Fixes and Other Changes:

***This update will break save games due to changes to special encounter implementation***

- Fixed a divide by zero crash that could occur when the game tried to trigger a rebellion on a planet with 0 civilian population.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when entering the multiplayer lobby.
- Fixed issues where the game would hang on end turn when resolving AI versus AI combat.
- Fixed issues where concurrent combat scheduling could cause game turns to hang.
- Fixed an issue where the game could crash when a player attempted to save between turns.
- Fixed an intermittent crash that could occur during combat.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when committing an intercept mission.

- Fixed encyclopedia content appearing in the wrong locations.
- Fixed issues where user interface would be unreadable when starting a game window larger than the desktop resolution.
- Added more tool tips to the game lobby.
- Added more tool tips to the colony information widget.
- Added more tool tips to the build screen.
- Added more tool tips to the certain pop-ups and to the station placement screen.

- Fixed a few outstanding localized text issues, including three descriptions in the tech tree;
**** Spinal Mounts
**** Heavy Fission Cannon
**** Assimilation Plague Cure.
- Rebalanced Police ships and some menaces.
- Made improvements to Swarm Hiver, Larva and Queen art.
- Fixed issues where the game window could shrink below the minimum 1024x720 resolution.
- Fixed issue where minimizing the game window could cause it to go full screen instead.
- Fixed an issue where Suul'ka could become available to non-Horde Zuul players via Diplomatic Stations.
- Suul'ka arrival after building a Tribute station is now delayed by at least a turn.
- Fixed a bug with post encounter dialog where list selections were getting mixed up.
- Fixed a miscolored element of the fleet widget items.
- Fixed some underlying UI layout bugs.
- Fixed a bug where Gate Amplifiers would not show up in the station module list. This was preventing the upgrade of Gate stations.
- Fixed a bug that was allowing built modules to be re-queued.
- Fixed art issues with Tarkasian Dreadnought GOOP and Heavy Beam modules.
- Fixed outstanding art issues with Human Supply Transports, Naval Outposts and Polic Cutters.
- Fixed an issue where AI controlled agents running at accelerated time in simulated combat were not doing enough damage to each other.

Known Issues:
- Main Menu becoming active before background combat loads. Players cannot proceed past Main Menu until load complete.
- Section descriptions not displaying in Design screen.
- Fleets not providing turn/distance to objectives mid-mission.
- Optimization of Hiver fleet use of gate network.- One avatar per race not displaying correctly
- Options button not working in Main Menu (works in launcher)
- Cinematics button not working
- Continue game button not working
- Sound cut outs (in combat, when lots of sounds)
- Screens transitioning slowly
- Hotkeys not working correctly

Last edited:
This is quite a bit for a day and addressed various of my issues (running 64-bit version from within Steam, the Steam CD key, updated manual). Thanks to you guys and Kerberos for staying on top of this and not dropping the ball. Looking forward to the next patches, but this is a good start! :)

- Fixed a divide by zero crash...

Oh Really? You know, that explains a lot actually... :laugh:

35319122-10e4-4a70-9b3d-2432c0d0a41c.jpg

We need to make a new SOTS themed division by zero poster now.

Not sure the automatic detection of x64 is working. It's hard to tell which exe is running except by what options are set in the launcher window. (Uncheck a box in x64 and leave it checked in x86) Using this method I was able to confirm Steam is launching the 32-bit version, not the 64-bit. Though I can manually start the 64-bit version without incident.

while the game is running, bring up the task manager by pressing ctrl-alt-del and look up mars.exe in the processes tab. If it is just "mars.exe", then it's 64-bit. If it's "mars.exe *32", then it's... well... you figure it out ;)

Nice bit of bug smashing

That was a nice round of weekend bug smashing.

There's no pressure or sense of entitlement in this next question, but when can we expect the next patch?

I'm happy that the game is crashing less and less frequently now, but there are still issues that make the game unplayable when it's not crashing, particularly with the ship design UI. Half the time I design a new ship, the design goes into my build list under some random name.

This causes the game to fail to start for me with a missing DLL warning, in case anyone else finds it an issue, look in your Steam folder then Steamapps\common\sword of the stars ii\msvc2010sp1 and run the vcredist_x64.exe there.

I tried this with no luck, before the patch the 32b version worked, now neither work ...

That was a nice round of weekend bug smashing.

There's no pressure or sense of entitlement in this next question, but when can we expect the next patch?

I'm happy that the game is crashing less and less frequently now, but there are still issues that make the game unplayable when it's not crashing, particularly with the ship design UI. Half the time I design a new ship, the design goes into my build list under some random name.

Wednesday if I understand the post correctly, as they plan to release in "2-3 day intervals", "every other day" as far as I can tell. Which is pretty good.

Ok I updated the game and now I can not even start the game at all. I pulled this from the log file

T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] MARS2 64-bit Environment
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] Last built on Mon Oct 31 01:24:18 2011
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] CWD:
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sword of the stars ii\bin\x64
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] Args:
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sword of the stars ii\bin\x64\mars.exe
T (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [diag] Initializing telemetry...
W (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [diag] Failed to start telemetry (1).
W (2011/10/31 15:01:15) [app] Invalid game root directory:

so I am not sure how to get or get the telemetry data to kick.

On a whim I did what someone above posted "Steamapps\common\sword of the stars ii\msvc2010sp1 and run the vcredist_x64.exe"
and ran that still no luck, anyone have an idea ?

Game is working fine for me and I'm running Windows 7 32-bit. One bug I've found and have recurring issues with is a CTD when I click on a fleet in the fleet management screen. It happens irregularly and infrequently but with the same trigger.

Just got into the forums via my CD-key

I have not yet been able to start a game, i get to the create screen and then the create button does not work, and the cancel button errors me to desktop and makes a log file, which is full of "bad object" and stuff like that.

I have been able to get to the main menu and the create screen just fine, but never been able to actually get in a game.

I still have the issue of not being able to access the immersion pack. In faction selection, I see all the immersion version of each faction, but they are all greyed out. I pre ordered via Impulse ((gamestops now I guess)) so I should have the Liir/Morrigi packs, but dont seem to be able to select them.