• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you for this, very helpful. Now, I'd be eternally grateful if you could create a video on how to actually engage an enemy ship and get the ships to fire :D

Never actually done any videos, but I might give it a shot. Else ill do a series of screenshots.

For first contact, just alt-click the enemy. After that, go to diplomacy and declare to declare war. Now you're weapons free.

Never actually done any videos, but I might give it a shot. Else ill do a series of screenshots.

For first contact, just alt-click the enemy. After that, go to diplomacy and declare to declare war. Now you're weapons free.

Is delcaring war required? I wanted to just see what a battle was like so I made a game on the FIGHT map so I can get into an engagement quickly. I sent one of my fleets with like 5-6 ships in, clicked STRIKE mission. I selected my ships and alt clicked on the enemies when I saw them but they did nothing. I thought maybe they don't have turrets but I looked at the designs and they seem to have turrets up the wazoo? So I don't know what I am supposd to do.

That is how i interpreted it too, but its pretty hard to keep track of that in combat to verify it. Thats why it would be great if one of the devs could verify it, just a 'yes' or 'lol,no' would suffice. No doubt they've other concern at the moment though.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, will do my best to explain what I can. =D

yeah, sorry I noticed that after I posted it then failed at deleting my post. They are very informative graphics, thanks for making them!

A question about invasion: I got invaded by Tarkan fleet but I'm clueless why the following happens: first turn in the tactical map I see my fleet and the enemy eventually.
The next turn my fleet is gone and all I see is my planet with a space station in the tactical map and the next turn again my fleet is availlable.
I wonder is there something I should do between the battles so I could intercept the enemy with my ships every turn. This is really confusing.

And if I invade, why do I get those instant defeats all the time, I get like 2 seconds in the tacmap. Is it a bug or what?

Again, make sure when the battle screen pops up, to click on your fleet. Otherwise it will not show up in combat.

If you want to be able to place it before combat, you need to set it to Patrol or Invade, and use the Defence Manager to drop it into the system. This will only work if it has a formation assigned in the fleet manager.

Do you know what the two bird icons flanking the selected combat option is in the pre-battle screen. The screen where you choose to autoresolve or manual control. In the middle where the icon of what you have selected appears you have two little bird icons flanking it. On the left of it, it appears to be an open winged bird (though it doesn't look like the dove, close but not exactly) and on the right it is a closed winged (perched) bird. You can select one or the other, I was wondering if anyone has figured what they are and mean?

Do you know what the two bird icons flanking the selected combat option is in the pre-battle screen. The screen where you choose to autoresolve or manual control. In the middle where the icon of what you have selected appears you have two little bird icons flanking it. On the left of it, it appears to be an open winged bird (though it doesn't look like the dove, close but not exactly) and on the right it is a closed winged (perched) bird. You can select one or the other, I was wondering if anyone has figured what they are and mean?

My guess is they are 'aggressive' and 'peaceful' orders for the autoresolve. The one with the flapping wings being aggressive, aka go and fight, and the perched one being peaceful aka stay put or run.

Any1 have an idea why my ships wont fire?
Is only me (suul`ka) and the humans.
I launched a patroll miss where the humans want to build a station.
Ist kina wired sometimes thay r not even there or i cant see them? (how to make a sensor ship btw?).
Sometimes i just spawn where thay r building the station. Humans start shooting one of my ship. IF i move around enough they even get bored and stop fireing. But i cant get my FINE ships to shoot :S

Any1 have an idea why my ships wont fire?
Is only me (suul`ka) and the humans.
I launched a patroll miss where the humans want to build a station.
Ist kina wired sometimes thay r not even there or i cant see them? (how to make a sensor ship btw?).
Sometimes i just spawn where thay r building the station. Humans start shooting one of my ship. IF i move around enough they even get bored and stop fireing. But i cant get my FINE ships to shoot :S

Hold down alt and click to open fire on first contacts. After that go to Diplomacy and then Declare to declare war.

You can build ships with Deep Scan command sections after you have Advanced Sensors.

Hold down alt and click to open fire on first contacts. After that go to Diplomacy and then Declare to declare war.

You can build ships with Deep Scan command sections after you have Advanced Sensors.

You can't just Alt-click or declare war. You have to manually move your ships into range. Player controlled ships have ZERO AI right now. Combat stances mean absolutely nothing. So, if you want to get into a brawl, you have to Alt-click/declare war, then manually position your ships into firing range.

Just a FYI. "p" is pause in combat mode. I was trying desperately to target the swarms but couldn't before they moved. I started just randomly pushing buttons and found the pause, woot, after that I actually won the battle with the starting survey fleet.

I also want to extend my gratitude for the combat display guide. It really helps to understand the mechanics and what weapon layouts to choose.

I think the damage on the projectile is consistant at any range and thus won't change its base damage like a beam. It is after all a kinetic weapon and no friction to slow it down and no charge to hold.

Once again thank you.

Is delcaring war required? I wanted to just see what a battle was like so I made a game on the FIGHT map so I can get into an engagement quickly. I sent one of my fleets with like 5-6 ships in, clicked STRIKE mission. I selected my ships and alt clicked on the enemies when I saw them but they did nothing. I thought maybe they don't have turrets but I looked at the designs and they seem to have turrets up the wazoo? So I don't know what I am supposd to do.

Yes, you need to declare war for Strikes to work. On the other hand, if you pick Invasion it'll say it's an act of war and let you pick to go for it or not.

Yay its working i can fire. But cant even kill a ship :S
Can u see how dmg is the enemy ship?
Other question: i have built a navi station.Its lvl 2 so max 10 commad point cant relocate a fleet there yet.
But in the support range view i can see only my main planet range.
I am guessing its working like so: i relocate a fleet to the navy base the it uses the navy base supply range. Or am i mistaken?

About the part with the damage numbers not translating 1:1 to damaged armor tiles: I would think that some weapons are specialized in dealing structural/internal damage, so this might be intentional.