• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I believe someone figured out that the best the LV can get is 6 for the armor resistance band. You can play it now, but I understand if you want it to be fully complete. In essence only scenarios are missing for the game as far as features are concerned, otherwise it's just polish and tightening up what exists currently. Understand that Kerberos will be doing that for the life of the franchise. SotS 1 is still slated for one more major "update", and it's been in existence for 6+ years. So I'm pretty confident that SotS 2 will get at least the same treatment.

I know, but I'm more referring to polishing the game up more and fixing the crashes as well as better AI. Like i said earlier i tried to play it but i got a crash after the first combat (Automated). Not to sure how long I've owned sots prime but i have well over 600 hours in that game and that's while I've had it on steam. I still own one of the original discs to it lol. Thanks for all the info Shadow I've been wondering about the answers for months, but planed on asking when I decided to play it. Been keeping an eye on the forums so decided to ask now and just get the answers. Oh, more a graphical question than tactical and off topic a bit but when i first played the game i tried Liir with their shields to see if DNs get shields now and see if there was a LV projector. Thing is with lvl 4 shields on i couldnt even see my CR cause it was so bright. That intended or just an early thing. Which reminds me. Those shields at lvl 4 with the 2 techs above antimatter that power up shields didn't seem to stand up to even basic weapons fired from CRs. 5 CRs could single volley that down. Am i just over estimating their power or shields not balanced at that time? I know i have more questions but I will have to play the game to find out.

As far as I know lvl 4 shields are pretty "opaque" and intended (to show their toughness). However shields aren't proof against damage, they are ment to "blunt" damage really and drop when they reach their limit, then reactivate after a set time. They do however absorb any type of damage. Balance is basically this makes Liir as good late game as other races where early game they are rather fragile. There are other type of shields that do stop damage, but are specific to damage type (kinetic or energy etc) and are direction specific (front usually).

There are other type of shields that do stop damage, but are specific to damage type (kinetic or energy etc) and are direction specific (front usually).

Ya i remember those from the first sots. great at the beginning for races that "joust" instead of circle or anything else. Oh the meson and the other full bodied shield that stopped Ballistics, do they absorb more than a normal shield (but only of the damage type of course :p)?

However shields aren't proof against damage, they are meant to "blunt" damage really and drop when they reach their limit, then reactivate after a set time.

I realize they are not Shinny walls of Invincibility but i was being attack by starter ships with no added weapons and they couldn't hold for long at max strength. Granted they were on CRs. Just mad me wonder if starter weapons dropped them that easily then what use would they be against late game weapons. Also the moment they dropped the shield section was destroyed in the next volley. Might have been more me at the time because with as bright as the shields were and the fact i only have a dual core 2.8 proseccor, I was lagging pretty good. BTW i never did get to finish my test. Do DNs get shields now and do the Liir have a LV sized Shield Projector (or whatever they call it)?

As far as I know lvl 4 shields are pretty "opaque" and intended (to show their toughness).

Hope they put in an option in the graphics menu that only affects how opaque shields are as I'd like to tone it down....a lot... :rolleyes:

Shields have gotten some new graphics so they aren't so opaque any more and have some nice "impact" animations as well. (some samples):

Mk1
2vijygx.png

Mk2
iz6xd5.png

Mk3
mt2kc4.png

Mk4
pvxwn.png

click thumbnail to see larger image, enjoy. :)

Hello, when I zoom into the pictures in page 1, they become unclear (can't read the text). Is there anywhere I can see them in a higher resolution?

They are available here in the original sizes; http://sots2.rorschach.net/Tactical_Combat

Please do note that the combat interface has changed somewhat since I did these. I have been meaning to update them for a while now, but just haven't found the time. Ill see if End of Flesh changes anything, and then find some time to bring them up to date.

Thank you very much